• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Septimius

Does anybody else want a sort of console command enabler? I was enamored with my first 4 or 5 hours in game and that slowly wore off because i could give two shits about "survival resource management" games.

I'd LOVE console commands to be able to do whatever i want with my inventory and supplies and just explore until my heart's content. "spawn item Iridium (500) ship" Boom, Iridium in my ship, upgrade built 0 fucks wasted.

I could just cruise in my ship and take in the sights from time to time without having to worry about the inventory at all. Would be real nice... well, for me anyway. I know some love spending most of their time in the inventory with the management meta.

The amount of effort it takes to stack up on minimal survival to just cruise around is so little, so I don't really see the issue. You need iron, shield shard blueprint, plutonium, thamium9 and heradium to fly, walk and warp your ass off, and those three elements are literally everywhere. I don't think you need fancy upgrades to do what you describe. If you want them, that's kind og what the game is there for

Z3M0G

nmstweet07lm7.png

I'm told this patch has broken game saving for PC... anyone confirm?

KooopaKid

Banned
Brilliant thread title.
I managed to play this 2 nights in a row, and after doing the first light jump, I don't have the desire to get more ressources to do the second one. I think I have seen 80% of the gameplay the game has to offer.
The will to get out of your first solar system is there and engaging, the following ones, not so much.

Brilliant thread title.
I managed to play this 2 nights in a row, and after doing the first light jump, I don't have the desire to get more ressources to do the second one. I think I have seen 80% of the gameplay the game has to offer.
The will to get out of your first solar system is there and engaging, the following ones, not so much.
Give it time, you've not experienced anything yet.

Whb29

OMG why are people so entitled these days? It's not their "job" to fix bugs - in fact there's nothing stopping them downing tools and moving on to their next title - they already have your cash.

What he's saying is that the new patch addresses 70% of user reported bugs. They are clearly working hard to fix things. These people are not robots.

The save bug sounds pretty bad, but shit happens. Worse case, play another game until the inevitable emergency patch comes out in a few hours. You lost a few hours of playing time, big deal.

I don't get why people are so unreasonable about software. I've put about 15 hours into this came and have not encountered a single problem. I'm probably just lucky but heh.

Either way, certainly in the UK, a game is the price of a (cheap) family meal out. That lasts an hour. How many hours have you got out of this already? You've got your money's worth, quit whinging and be constructive.

Gek transmission towers you can use unlimited amount of time to fill your map with crashed ship markers

I'm still very early into the game but have luckily found a Gek planet that's full of Gravitino Balls and have found a transmission tower. I've tried the exploit and it works, but I'm not really clear on something from those instructions posted here.

Since I'm still very early in (following the Atlas path and have just visited my first Atlas station or what's it called, in fact the planet I'm on is in the same system), will I have a problem finding better tech for my ship later on if I decide to grind the exploit now? I'm currently at a 21 slot ship and would like to get a larger one, maybe low 30s, just to make things a little bit more enjoyable before I continue playing normally. I still haven't completely figured out how everything works, so I'm just worrying if I'll inadvertently lock myself out of higher tier ship upgrades in some way.

The amount of effort it takes to stack up on minimal survival to just cruise around is so little, so I don't really see the issue. You need iron, shield shard blueprint, plutonium, thamium9 and heradium to fly, walk and warp your ass off, and those three elements are literally everywhere. I don't think you need fancy upgrades to do what you describe. If you want them, that's kind og what the game is there for

I really dont want to have to pull out my stupid "shit collecting gun" if i dont have to personally lol. I'd love to have a "Casual/Exploration mode" where you dont have to worry about fuel or resources or any of that micromanagement bullshit. Save for that give me console commands so i can spawn a 48 slot ship/exo suit and fill it with warp cells and material reserves and leave me to explore. I get you dont mind the mining and inventory management but some of us REALLY dislike it. To each his/her own :)

KeRaSh

Got the survival trophy while sitting at work. The PC remote play app is the greatest thing ever.
I've preemptively disabled auto-update on my PS4 in case they remove the ability to upload 100% of lifeless planets and moons. I'll probably also abuse the Gek transmission tower thing just in case...

Septimius

I really dont want to have to pull out my stupid "shit collecting gun" if i dont have to personally lol. I'd love to have a "Casual/Exploration mode" where you dont have to worry about fuel or resources or any of that micromanagement bullshit. Save for that give me console commands so i can spawn a 48 slot ship/exo suit and fill it with warp cells and material reserves and leave me to explore. I get you dont mind the mining and inventory management but some of us REALLY dislike it. To each his/her own :)

I'm literally saying that a 20 slot ship and ten minutes on a planet can set you up to cruise around as much as you want for probably 20 hours. I don't see any reason to ask for this when doing what you want to do takes such a minimal effort to achieve

KeRaSh

There's already a trainer with hacks like that for the PC version if you just want to dick around the universe.

OMG why are people so entitled these days? It's not their "job" to fix bugs - in fact there's nothing stopping them downing tools and moving on to their next title - they already have your cash.

If fixing bugs is not their job, what IS their job? Putting out broken games? If that's what I'm paying $60 for, that's the last time that will ever happen.

I know Hello Games is a small team and I brook no ill will towards them. They're clearly working hard on all the issues and fixing and testing bugs takes time. I'm on a dev team for a website that just did a massive relaunch and I am sympathetic to their plight. Things always slip through and people will always complain about shit that doesn't matter. But people aren't all idiots and they also complain about issues that are genuine and sometimes severe, and no amount of perfectly valid excuses on our part would change that. Similarly, Hello Games's situation doesn't change the fact that the game IS broken for lots of people who paid money with the expectation that they would receive a working product in turn. That's not "entitlement," that's the standard expectation when you exchange money for goods and services.

I defend this game quite a bit but saying it's not the job of the developer to fix bugs is kind of crazy. It's their job, especially in this day and age when patches can be deployed via the internet. Hell, back in the day bugs like the No Mercy Save glitch had to be patched and new cartridges had to be issued.

noomi

I just played for about an hour post-patch and my saves worked fine

Which is great because I just landed on a planet covered in gravitino balls

Yeah I tried it as well despitite all the reports of people not being able to save and it worked great for me as well.

A few things to note:

- I never tried the experimental patch, I'm led to believe if you had the experimental patch and then updated to the actual patch you might encounter the save bug
- Some people are mentioning the save bug came in after 4 or 5 saves and then no longer worked.

They need to add No Hud/Photo Mode asap!

Are you seriously playing this game in Dutch? That screenshot alone made my toes curl.

I have my system language set on Dutch because my children use the PS4 as well, so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.
And it isn't that bad, funny even at times. Surprised they even translated into Dutch, not many games do that.

Whb29

If fixing bugs is not their job, what IS their job? Putting out broken games? If that's what I'm paying $60 for, that's the last time that will ever happen.

I know Hello Games is a small team and I brook no ill will towards them. They're clearly working hard on all the issues and fixing and testing bugs takes time. I'm on a dev team for a website that just did a massive relaunch and I am sympathetic to their plight. Things always slip through and people will always complain about shit that doesn't matter. But people aren't all idiots and they also complain about issues that are genuine and sometimes severe, and no amount of perfectly valid excuses on our part would change that. Similarly, Hello Games's situation doesn't change the fact that the game IS broken for lots of people who paid money with the expectation that they would receive a working product in turn. That's not "entitlement," that's the standard expectation when you exchange money for goods and services.

OK at least you are sympathetic! Maybe I am just choosing to ignore stuff, but none of the things I have seen discussed apart from the save bug (which literally just happened) are valid reasons to call the game "broke".

If you're a dev, you know that a game will always have bugs. Personally I would expect that if a critical issue is found (like the saving issue), it should be fixed ASAP. But anything else is just background noise. If it doesn't stop you progressing, and doesn't happen every five minutes, then just move on.

I mean everyone loved the humping dino - that's a bug, but I bet nobody raised a ticket for it! I just think people need to chill out stop willing games to fail, everyone loves a drama, but the amount on GAF these days is ridiculous.

I still think the "$60" argument constantly repeated is just that people were expecting it to be $20 because it was an indy game, and they're still salty about spending that much on a non-AAA title. I can kinda understand that, but ultimately, the could have chosen not to buy it and wait for the sales.

Yeah I tried it as well despitite all the reports of people not being able to save and it worked great for me as well.

A few things to note:

- I never tried the experimental patch, I'm led to believe if you had the experimental patch and then updated to the actual patch you might encounter the save bug
- Some people are mentioning the save bug came in after 4 or 5 saves and then no longer worked.

Oh I wasn't on experimental before, so I guess that could be it.

I saved A LOT in that hour or so I played, so unless it comes after, like, a couple dozen saves idk

emb

What's the use case for shield shards and similar items. Can't I just charge my stuff with resources (eg, iron, zinc) directly, without wasting a slot for an item that has only one purpose?

noomi

Oh I wasn't on experimental before, so I guess that could be it.

I saved A LOT in that hour or so I played, so unless it comes after, like, a couple dozen saves idk

This is good information, if anyone else can comment/confirm this that would be very helpful.

Shameful Plug: We have a nice PC Thread for helping people also :)

I'm literally saying that a 20 slot ship and ten minutes on a planet can set you up to cruise around as much as you want for probably 20 hours. I don't see any reason to ask for this when doing what you want to do takes such a minimal effort to achieve

I'm around 50-60 warps in and through 4 or 5 black holes so i have a pretty decent estimate on "what it takes". I'd much prefer to not do the things you consider so trivial. Good on you that you like that stuff. Again... i dont want to touch that shit. At all. If at all possible. Hell, take away my complete inventory and give me a ship, my bolt caster and suit and let me just explore and murder angry aliens when provoked (never before of course lol).

There's already a trainer with hacks like that for the PC version if you just want to dick around the universe.

PS4 here :/

That all said, console commands in SubNautica XBO version have totally made the game for me.

KeRaSh

What's the use case for shield shards and similar items. Can't I just charge my stuff with resources (eg, iron, zinc) directly, without wasting a slot for an item that has only one purpose?

I don't get it either. The only benefit would be if those items stacked but they don't so I'd rather charge multiple items multiple times with a stack of some random material than waste a slot for a one time charge of one specific system...

Cronee

They can be used to recharge those environment specific shields. Maybe it's cheaper resource wise? Haven't tested that.

Phamit

Some Mods can only be charged with uncommon and rare resources and shield shards etc. are crafted with common resources. So it's "cheaper" to recharge the mods with those items

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Well, undeniable progress. Was jumping for joy as I walked half a mile without the huge frame drop. (As opposed to every 25 feet). But then it hit, not as bad as before, but still there.

At any rate, at least it's progress! Rather quick progress from a 12 man team I might add.

I don't get it either. The only benefit would be if those items stacked but they don't so I'd rather charge multiple items multiple times with a stack of some random material than waste a slot for a one time charge of one specific system...

I've been making shielding plates to charge up my hazard protection tech when titanium isn't as easy to get (like, when the sentinels aren't very aggressive). They only need iron, which is plentiful on every planet, and it's not like you need to keep them hanging around in your inventory. Also, since titanium is worth 61 units and iron is only worth 13, it makes economic sense to do so, if you're trying to build up some money.

Baalzebup

Because you can build those items from Iron, the most common element in the game along with Carbon, and you can use them to charge your diving gear and environmental shields and such, which Iron cannot be used for normally.

In short, unlimited time underwater and/or in hostile environments using only iron, which is literally everywhere, if your gear meets the basic requirements and you have the formulas.

Septimius

It becomes really useful when you get the blueprints for it. You don't have to use zinc, you can just get some iron and then make a shard and recharge. It's a godsend, really.

sozo

A small selection of pictures from my journey so far, loving this game!

I'm on a planet right now with the exact same creature that's in your last pic. Definitely not the same planet though. I thought the creatures were supposed to be randomly generated and unique to each planet? Guess not :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you get hit with the save bug from this new patch, I haven't seen anyone mention the apparent fix to just die once, and it should start saving again normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ocYL4HdFc

One of the cooler, more organic moments that has happened to me in the game so far. I went into a cave to escape the extreme night cold temperatures, got lost, and spent like a half hour wandering through caves until I found the collapsed hole in the roof and escaped only to find something very cool right outside.

It was like a 6-7 minute walk back to my ship afterwards. lol

Top Bottom