• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I've only crashed two times since launch (knock on wood) and the second time I thought it locked up my PS4 but I let it sit for like 2 minutes and it eventually crashed to menu and let me submit a crash report.

Before this patch, crashed so many times. Playing it about 20 or 30 minutes, no crashes yet but.... I am knocking on wood also.

I wonder what else they did with the 600mb update.

Anyways off to work for me!

I'm surprised at all of the crashing reports on PS4 honestly. It's been the only thing running on my PS4 since I bought it, and I've never had a crash.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The fucking launching into space straight from the ground is one of the most annoying fucking bugs in a game.... seriously... fix this. Why the fuck did the fuck up something so basic...

pj

Banned
Perhaps, but there are certain things like the vignetting which is part of the effect of looking through your visor.

Mainly I want a proper camera mode so you can alter the filters and take cool pictures.

How do you know you have a visor? Why wouldn't the effect of looking through a visor be seeing parts of the visor, like most other games? Why can't I have a space helmet that is all glass?

Also if you are looking through a visor why are there scan lines like it's a 1984 CRT?

They are just cheap post processing effects to make the game look "better". Not everyone likes them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah the other upgrades deplete so quickly. Speaking of upgrades, I finally made my third jetpack upgrade.

Love it.
yeah I got a major jetpack upgrade blueprint but need Omegon, which I haven't seen anywhere in the galaxy yet D:

FIrst order of business is buying a new ship though, still rocking a 16-slot.
Perhaps, but there are certain things like the vignetting which is part of the effect of looking through your visor.

Mainly I want a proper camera mode so you can alter the filters and take cool pictures.
Yeah, I wish I could keep the scanlines and vignetting on during gameplay but take a pic at will with them removed. I like the effects while playing, I just really love the clean screenshots (as though my character had actually taken them with a camera).

Last night right before bed I ran all the way down the hangar to the force field keeping you from falling into space in the space station, pretty cool view:
thumb

UCBooties

I got to my first Atlas station last night and I still, still haven't gotten my goddamn Atlas Pass v1.

The system also sucks in pretty much every way. Space is bright, eyewatering yellow, which makes the gold Atlas station and gold space station blend in. The asteroids are all Iron and fuel. The planets:

Planet 1 has near constant heat storms and -80C at night. This would be perfect ofr getting the survival trophies but the survival count is bugged. It never ticks up for me despite having spent nearly 90 consecutive minutes on the surface. Making this planet extra hellish is the fact that it is swarming with small scavanger critters that agro at all times. Adding insult to injury it is a Gek planet, so I tried the ship signal glitch. Every single ship I found has had fewer slots than the one I started with. Nothing on this planet works right and nothing on it is fun.

Plant 2 has instant agro sentinals. There are some of the glowing orbs that can be sold but not enough of them in concentration to make the planet worth farming.

Both planets are aggressively bland. I cannot wait to finish my hyperdrive upgrade and get the hell out of this system. The hell planet would be at least somewhat cool if there was good stuff to get there or if it was helping with the survival trophis, but as is I just feel like it's wasting my time. Here's hoping the next system is better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
chromatic aberration is a dumb trend, not an expression of artistic vision

The hatred for CA is as trendy as CA. I don't really care about the effect one way or the other, though I will say it fits with NMS. The whole game is tuned for a 70s sci-fi aesthetic. Even the video display panels in cockpits. Plus the player's suit visor.

Septimius

The fucking launching into space straight from the ground is one of the most annoying fucking bugs in a game.... seriously... fix this. Why the fuck did the fuck up something so basic...

Because getting stuck in geometry is worse? Do you normally land on flat surfaces? I've had this happen once out of 200 landings

E92 M3

yeah I got a major jetpack upgrade blueprint but need Omegon, which I haven't seen anywhere in the galaxy yet D:

FIrst order of business is buying a new ship though, still rocking a 16-slot.

Yeah, I wish I could keep the scanlines and vignetting on during gameplay but take a pic at will with them removed. I like the effects while playing, I just really love the clean screenshots (as though my character had actually taken them with a camera).

Last night right before bed I ran all the way down the hangar to the force field keeping you from falling into space in the space station, pretty cool view:

Wait, there is an omegon upgrade for jetpacks?! I thought theta was it (have 3 so far). And yeah, last night I upgraded my 20 slot ship to a 33 slot one. It was only 7 million which was a fantastic deal.

Put in some shield and beam upgrades. Dog fighting is a lot of fun now :D

I'm really annoyed at this point

I bet they are working all night, so I am cutting some slcak.

mokeyjoe

How do you know you have a visor? Why wouldn't the effect of looking through a visor be seeing parts of the visor, like most other games? Why can't I have a space helmet that is all glass?

Also if you are looking through a visor why are there scan lines like it's a 1984 CRT?

They are just cheap post processing effects to make the game look "better". Not everyone likes them.

You can tell you have a visor by the way it frosts up in cold weather and some of the text mentioning you have a visor on. I'm not saying everyone should like them, just that that is the intent.

I haven't noticed the scan lines myself but I presume it's part of the general retro sci-fi aesthetic.

Hahs

Maybe because its still somewhat early, but I can't find any patch 1.04 patch notes - anybody gets lucky please post em...

barit

After the amount of bugs and glitches this game had since the launch, I'd recommend everyone restart the PS4 after installing the patch. Mine crashed repeatedly from leaving the pause menu. Stopped after a restart.

In terms of changes, is the torch a bit brighter and does it appear it actually lights things up better now? I barely used it before but in caves it might be slightly useful.

Thx 4 the info. Will do restart now

Baalzebup

The best before having a pimping ship, which would make wrecks a likely place to salvage some of it, are space stations and the planetary trading platforms with 7 slots for ships. The main market usually doesn't have it, but the traders coming in have a good chance of having it. I have personally always found my Omegon needs filled by simply buying the shit.

Wait, there is an omegon upgrade for jetpacks?! I thought theta was it (have 3 so far).

Yes, the Theta Jetpack upgrade requires the element called Omegon, one of the purple ones. Don't confuse Omega and Omegon :)

E92 M3

The best before having a pimping ship, which would make wrecks a likely place to salvage some of it, are space stations and the planetary trading platforms with 7 slots ships. The main market usually doesn't have it, but the traders coming in have a good chance of having it. I have personally always found my Omegon needs filled by simply buying the shit.

Yes, the Theta Jetpack upgrade requires the element called Omegon, one of the purple ones. Don't confuse Omega and Omegon :)

Oh, yeah I already built the one that uses Omegon. Did confuse those for a sec haha. So, in total, there are 3 upgrades.

(I bought all of my Omegon)

Danlord

Quick Question:

I haven't got my Atlas Pass v1 yet, and in the guide posted above it mentions I have to make a single move towards the Galactic core to trigger the space anomaly. I thought that if I break from the Atlas Path I will fail that particular path.

Am I wrong in thinking that or can I just make a single jump to another system on the Galactic Core path and still be allowed to do the Atlas Path?

Thanks.

IvanJ

Banned
Quick Question:

I haven't got my Atlas Pass v1 yet, and in the guide posted above it mentions I have to make a single move towards the Galactic core to trigger the space anomaly. I thought that if I break from the Atlas Path I will fail that particular path.

Am I wrong in thinking that or can I just make a single jump to another system on the Galactic Core path and still be allowed to do the Atlas Path?

Thanks.

Don't worry, Atlas Path will still be there, no matter how many detours you take.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait, there is an omegon upgrade for jetpacks?! I thought theta was it (have 3 so far). And yeah, last night I upgraded my 20 slot ship to a 33 slot one. It was only 7 million which was a fantastic deal.
Hehe it requires Omegon, a purple mat (like Radnox or Murrine). I dunno if there's an Omega level upgrade.

That is an awesome deal!

I could make it a more temporary buy and grab whatever just to get some extra slots, but I want to make it a longer-term upgrade to a ship I really like. I don't need more than shields, pulse and hyperdrive upgrades for this character, he ain't a fighter. So I have some flexibility there.
Baalzebup said:
The best before having a pimping ship, which would make wrecks a likely place to salvage some of it, are space stations and the planetary trading platforms with 7 slots ships. The main market usually doesn't have it, but the traders coming in have a good chance of having it. I have personally always found my Omegon needs filled by simply buying the shit.
Nice, I'll start checking trade centers for it after I spend the cash on my new ship. Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Quick Question:

Thanks.
Yeah it's not like that, the Atlas Interface is still a waypoint on your map until you get there and activate it, at which point it seems like you immediately get a waypoint for another one.

I think that the Atlas Path is not necessarily something you have to rush and complete all in one go before doing anything else or traveling toward the center. I think when you encounter
Nada and Polo
one of their options actually locates a new nearby Interface for you (no matter where you are), so you can kind of hop on and off at will. I could be wrong about this but I'm testing it myself, after collecting 4 atlas stones I'm making some small jumps toward the center. Next chance I get I'll pick the option to "resume" and see what happens.

E92 M3

My Atlas interference popped up in my 4th system and is about 5 jumps away. I have all of the hyperdrive upgrades, but saving them for when I get a ship with 40+ slots.

Alebrije

Besides the dots , is there other way to find animal lifeforms on planets, I am stucked on a planet becuase need to find the last animal , after hours of search still nothing.

Also my planet has tons of lakes with out any animal and suddently find one small pond with tons of "fishs" like if all of that specie specimens were on that pond

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Atlas interference popped up in my 4th system and is about 5 jumps away. I have all of the hyperdrive upgrades, but saving them for when I get a ship with 40+ slots.
How come? Just don't want to spend the resources? I'd build at least the cheapest one, you have a lot more flexibility in system hopping with a warp reactor. You could probably hit that Interface in one jump.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Because getting stuck in geometry is worse? Do you normally land on flat surfaces? I've had this happen once out of 200 landings

Depending on the planet that's easier said than done.. and the fact it EVER happens is bad. It might be somewhat rare, but it's annoying as fuck when it happens.

Top Bottom