• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Z3M0G

Patch has dropped for PS4. Please watch for game saves not working. (Watch timestamps on your 2 last saves in Options menu)

Handy Fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ocYL4HdFc

One of the cooler, more organic moments that has happened to me in the game so far. I went into a cave to escape the extreme night cold temperatures, got lost, and spent like a half hour wandering through caves until I found the collapsed hole in the roof and escaped only to find something very cool right outside.

It was like a 6-7 minute walk back to my ship afterwards. lol

That encapsulates NMS for me. Getting out of that cave...

"Thank fuck for that... Now where am I... Trees... And... Wait, what's that. WHAT'S THAT?"

mokeyjoe

I'm on a planet right now with the exact same creature that's in your last pic. Definitely not the same planet though. I thought the creatures were supposed to be randomly generated and unique to each planet? Guess not :/

They are procedurally generated but the animals aren't completely random in that they are supposed to be generated based on things like the environment and geography. So you may see similar creatures on different planets that only differ in small ways such as colour or size. Jumping pineapples are pretty common, for instance, with minor variations.

Handy Fake

They are procedurally generated but the animals aren't completely random in that they are supposed to be generated based on things like the environment and geography. So you may see similar creatures on different planets that only differ in small ways such as colour or size. Jumping pineapples are pretty common, for instance, with minor variations.

Convergent evolution, baby.

Inviusx

Its insane that you cannot upgrade your ships storage. Why not just make the cost of those upgrades the same or even higher than buying someone elses ship?

The ship is the closest thing to a companion in this entire game yet they expect you to just junk it every few hours to buy or salvage someone elses.

Stupid design choice if you ask me.

molnizzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ocYL4HdFc

One of the cooler, more organic moments that has happened to me in the game so far. I went into a cave to escape the extreme night cold temperatures, got lost, and spent like a half hour wandering through caves until I found the collapsed hole in the roof and escaped only to find something very cool right outside.

It was like a 6-7 minute walk back to my ship afterwards. lol

after about the 100th monolith it starts to be kinda meh tho

Danlord

What the hell. Okay, this has completely bugged my save. It crashed when I close out of the pause menu (and repeatable. Did it 3 times) In the video is first time I closed without it crashing but then it crashed the 2nd time.

Video MP4 https://a.pomf.cat/ahmuyi.mp4

edit: It has stopped crashing after I restarted my PS4 after installing the 1.04 patch.

curb

Banned
I found a planet moon last night that reminded me of some of the stuff from the trailers. It has no wildlife but it looks great:

Tranquility 1

For context though, I'd been through 8-10 boring, desolate planets before getting here. I'm planning on hanging out here for a while.

Z3M0G

Its insane that you cannot upgrade your ships storage. Why not just make the cost of those upgrades the same or even higher than buying someone elses ship?

The ship is the closest thing to a companion in this entire game yet they expect you to just junk it every few hours to buy or salvage someone elses.

I'm surprised this is not a more common and very primary complaint against the game. The look of your ship should be very important to you... finding a favorite ship with shitty storage you can never upgrade would be devastating.

Ships are this game's "gear loot drops".

mokeyjoe

It may be, but leaving things behind is a big theme of the game, it even alludes to it in some of the story elements. If you find a nice planet, you'll be unlikely to get back to it again, your inventory is small, so you have to sell or drop stuff - even the upgrades are essentially disposable. Whether or not this meshes with the gameplay is another matter.

In regards to people modding aesthetic aspects of games, I just find it so strange.

This is something I notice a lot with people's response to art. It's probably nothing new, but people will propose changes to something that would radically alter it. A piece of art isn't created for everyone and it's actually great when you find something you don't like. Move on to the next thing, or accept what you have, instead of expecting the game to be perfect for you.

It's crazy to me that people will actually take it upon themselves to edit a developers work, that they put months of thinking into the decision, where this is no fundamental flaw. An aesthetic choice, like filters, is the choice of the artists. I may not like it, but it's the piece of art they created. If one wants videogames to be respected as pieces of art, maybe one should start by respecting the developers artistic decisions.

With that said, I love mods in games. They can be very creative extensions of the groundwork laid by the developers. And of course there are bugs that often mess with the developer's creative intentions. But the entitlement of "this game has to be exactly what I want so I'll change it" is something that feels wrong to me.

emb

Because you can build those items from Iron, the most common element in the game along with Carbon, and you can use them to charge your diving gear and environmental shields and such, which Iron cannot be used for normally.

In short, unlimited time underwater and/or in hostile environments using only iron, which is literally everywhere, if your gear meets the basic requirements and you have the formulas.
Thanks, making sense now!

My issue was that I hadn't realized I couldn't use normal iron to charge up certain shields. I don't know if the first shield for the ship uses it, but I've rarely had to charge that up, I might have had Zinc or Titanium laying around at the time. Other than that I've only really had to deal with charging up my hazard protection suit, which does use iron. As I progress, sounds like these things will become important.

KeRaSh

I've been making shielding plates to charge up my hazard protection tech when titanium isn't as easy to get (like, when the sentinels aren't very aggressive). They only need iron, which is plentiful on every planet, and it's not like you need to keep them hanging around in your inventory. Also, since titanium is worth 61 units and iron is only worth 13, it makes economic sense to do so, if you're trying to build up some money.

Because you can build those items from Iron, the most common element in the game along with Carbon, and you can use them to charge your diving gear and environmental shields and such, which Iron cannot be used for normally.

In short, unlimited time underwater and/or in hostile environments using only iron, which is literally everywhere, if your gear meets the basic requirements and you have the formulas.

Meh. The systems that need most of my attention only need Plutonium which is as common as Iron so having to first craft those things and then charge up my stuff seems like more effort for very little pay off for me.

muteki

Outside of crashes really hope all the blueprint issues are ironed out soon.

Sucks getting that one you really wanted but Nope! I also have a toxic shield that is Theta by ingredients and hover-over title but Tau by the icon name.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Saves are working post patch on PS4. Loading does seem faster but could be a placebo. No crashes for me (so far). Tested a Black Hole and it didn't seem any different from before, hardly moved at all towards the centre. Not sure what else to test.

Baalzebup

Meh. The systems that need most of my attention only need Plutonium which is as common as Iron so having to first craft those things and then charge up my stuff seems like more effort for very little pay off for me.

It was pretty damn handy when I was diving in a radioactive sea, seeing how far a certain cave would take me :p

E92 M3

Is there a point to stacking the breathing masks, or should I just use theta?

And yes, the blueprint is a real pain in the butt. I hope they know about it.

Ferr986

I agree with this. They could make buying slots more expensive than buying a new ship if they want to keep this system.

pj

Banned
In regards to people modding aesthetic aspects of games, I just find it so strange.

This is something I notice a lot with people's response to art. It's probably nothing new, but people will propose changes to something that would radically alter it. A piece of art isn't created for everyone and it's actually great when you find something you don't like. Move on to the next thing, or accept what you have, instead of expecting the game to be perfect for you.

It's crazy to me that people will actually take it upon themselves to edit a developers work, that they put months of thinking into the decision, where this is no fundamental flaw. An aesthetic choice, like filters, is the choice of the artists. I may not like it, but it's the piece of art they created. If one wants videogames to be respected as pieces of art, maybe one should start by respecting the developers artistic decisions.

With that said, I love mods in games. They can be very creative extensions of the groundwork laid by the developers. And of course there are bugs that often mess with the developer's creative intentions. But the entitlement of "this game has to be exactly what I want so I'll change it" is something that feels wrong to me.

chromatic aberration is a dumb trend, not an expression of artistic vision

mokeyjoe

chromatic aberration is a dumb trend, not an expression of artistic vision

Perhaps, but there are certain things like the vignetting which is part of the effect of looking through your visor.

Mainly I want a proper camera mode so you can alter the filters and take cool pictures.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
What does this mean? Is this good or bad? And what is a "dead" planet?

On a planet with no creatures it says 100% complete in the discoveries menu and if you hold X on that message it will count towards the Planet Zoology milestone. You're supposed to scan 100% of the creatures on a planet to get it usually.

Downloaded the update, played about 15 minutes and had a crash. It actually locked up my whole PS4.
I've only crashed two times since launch (knock on wood) and the second time I thought it locked up my PS4 but I let it sit for like 2 minutes and it eventually crashed to menu and let me submit a crash report.

Danlord

After the amount of bugs and glitches this game had since the launch, I'd recommend everyone restart the PS4 after installing the patch. Mine crashed repeatedly from leaving the pause menu. Stopped after a restart.

In terms of changes, is the torch a bit brighter and does it appear it actually lights things up better now? I barely used it before but in caves it might be slightly useful.

Top Bottom