• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky PC Version doesn't work on older CPUs

M3d10n

How likely is that?

Very unlikely. If the programmers specifically relied on hand-made SSE 4.1 code, I imagine they would make a bigger deal about it to the point it would be listed on the minimum requirements instead of the generic "Core i3" requirement.

jabuseika

Instruction set does not equal performance measure.

This is a pretty big blunder, if they didn't specify the instructions set requirements in the minimum requirements.

Ignoring old reduntant shit shocker. New APIs ain't there to support old shit, and none of us devs want to double down on code - this is standard.

It will be in the required specs.

dogen

Doesn't matter because almost everything supports multiple cores. Be it videos, games, browsing etc.

Regarding updating requirements, it should have been mentioned IN THE FIRST place that SSE 4.1 is hard requirement. We won't have bothered with the game at all.

Yes it does. Many "multi-core" applications will still ultimately be bound by the performance of a single core.

Aselith

Ignoring old reduntant shit shocker. New APIs ain't there to support old shit, and none of us devs want to double down on code - this is standard.

It will be in the required specs.

According to other people that's not the case nor was it a large fix in two other cases. I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Also it's not standard in every other game on the market...are you even a developer?

Jedi2016

My CPU's five years old and runs stuff like this perfectly fine... if MY old-ass hardware can run MGS and NMS, how old do these other CPUs have to be? And how much longer before devs just say "No"? What's going through people's heads that continue to use such old tech and fully expect the latest games to run on it? Upgrade yo shit.

Aselith

My CPU's five years old and runs stuff like this perfectly fine... if MY old-ass hardware can run MGS and NMS, how old do these other CPUs have to be? And how much longer before devs just say "No"? What's going through people's heads that continue to use such old tech and fully expect the latest games to run on it? Upgrade yo shit.

All of these people can play MGS fine as well. This is an artificial barrier which is why it was easily fixed for MGS 5.

Aselith

We don't know that yet. The possibility of handwritten sse 4.1 code hasn't been ruled out.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672137536640057/

We are going to create an experimental branch with hot fixes for these most common known issues:

• SSE 4 – for CPUs that do not support SSE 4, it is causing the game to crash on boot (some of these area technically below min spec, but we don’t want it to crash!)

Now we do. Looks like fixes are incoming. I'm shocked!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn, artificial knocking on deaths door for my 1055T? I don't even feel the need to upgrade yet.

Hopefully this doesn't become the norm.. Good that it'll be fixed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This thread was a good read. A lot of clueless people.
Glad the oversight is being corrected.

Lol at "upgrade yo shit".

martino

i wonder why a game release now must work on hardware not exploiting 10 years old instructions.
it's like saying the game must stay directx9 for gpu....
so much contraction and nonsensence to rant and not take responsability
if your configuration is below minimun spec you're gambling and assuming it can work, don't report your poor assumptions and your lazyness to confirm them on others

It's simply a setting in Visual Studio, unless they actually hand-wrote SSE 4.1 code.

Here's the documentation that talks about that setting:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh872235.aspx
The relevant part:
The Auto-Vectorizer may generate different instructions than specified by the /arch switch. These instructions are guarded by a runtime check to make sure that code still runs correctly. For example, when you compile /arch:SSE2, SSE4.2 instructions may be emitted. A runtime check verifies that SSE4.2 is available on the target processor and jumps to a non-SSE4.2 version of the loop if the processor does not support those instructions.
So Visual Studio shouldn't be generating any code that won't run on something that doesn't support SSE 4.1 (the wording suggests it will run on anything supporting at least SSE2).
It's almost certainly hand coded. SSE 4.1 introduced a dot product operation, which would be used extensively in hand-optimised 3D code.

Aselith

i wonder why a game release now must work on hardware not exploiting 10 years old instructions.
it's like saying the game must stay directx9 for gpu....
so much contraction and nonsensence to rant and not take responsability
if your configuration is below minimun spec you're gambling and assuming it can work, don't report your poor assumptions and your lazyness to confirm them on others

Do you actually know what SSE even is?

While I don't know this for sure someone here in the thread had this to say:

It's simply a setting in Visual Studio, unless they actually hand-wrote SSE 4.1 code.

And keep in mind that when this issue has cropped up the thing was fixed within a day or two at most (usually rolled into other fixes which accounts for it even taking that long) Do you REALLY think this is a huge problem that is holding back your computer games to literally change a setting?

I would love to hear from an expert on this but this seems to be a case of driving away from the house and saying "Fuck I left the light on!"

Jackpot

Banned
Pretty despairing the lengths people will go to defend a game they like. Makes me think there's no hope for "intelligent discourse" on the industry.

Damn, so my Q6600 seems to not support SSE 4.1...

Oh well, I'm meaning to get myself a full pc upgrade by the end of the year anyways, NMS should be a fair bit cheaper by then and less buggy anyways.

(Hopefully.)

Ah, just read that there's a fix incoming! Ace.

McHuj

So indirectly does this mean, most games aren't optimized to use the full instruction set or does the typical binary contain code for multiple architectures?

Two Words

Here's the documentation that talks about that setting:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh872235.aspx
The relevant part:

So Visual Studio shouldn't be generating any code that won't run on something that doesn't support SSE 4.1 (the wording suggests it will run on anything supporting at least SSE2).
It's almost certainly hand coded. SSE 4.1 introduced a dot product operation, which would be used extensively in hand-optimised 3D code.
Isn't that handled by the HPU though? Why would your game be handling 3D vector transformations on the COU?

SCB3

What do people expect with close to 9-10-year-old tech? I think my Fx-6300 is underpowered these days and I run all games at ultra at 1080p just fine and I am still looking to upgrade to something faster.

People really do need to get with the new tech and stop expecting Devs to cater for them at a certain point

What do people expect with close to 9-10-year-old tech? I think my Fx-6300 is underpowered these days and I run all games at ultra at 1080p just fine and I am still looking to upgrade to something faster.

People really do need to get with the new tech and stop expecting Devs to cater for them at a certain point

This SSE 4.1 isn't some new tech that magically improved performance if used. Since games in past have been patched with no performance penalty, it's almost certain that it was an oversight from the devs.

And ffs this isn't a 9-10 year old tech. Phenom II was released in 2010. It's 6 years.

Sarcasm

Top Bottom