• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Listonosh

The video dude is kinda dumb. He's ignored a zillion prompts with PRESS TRIANGLE TO TRANSFER FROM YOUR INVENTORY TO YOUR SHIP and instead decided to discard stuff from his inventory when he ran out of space.

Also, inventory space seems pretty limited, even if you count the "deactivated" squares. Hope you can expand it significantly.

This was literally bothering me the entire time. I mean, shit, I try not to judge others on their gameplay styles, but the screen was literally constantly prompting him to transfer his items and he ignored it and then proceeded to discard them...

BigDug13

Based on what? Do you have any link for this?

Based on the majority of gamers can't tell the difference and any game that doesn't chug into the 20's is automatically labeled "buttery smooth". It's probably 30 but the entire game is so slow paced, it shouldn't make much difference, though it would still be disappointing.

Odrion

Banned
crossposting since it's about stuff from that stream:

I'm disappointed by how much information is served up to the player. What made Minecraft feel grand in scope is that everything was up to discover: crafting recipes, materials, enemy behavior, what blocks have inside them, etc.

Looking at the twenty minutes here I see
that the game will up and tell you where you can mine, what you use those mats for, what creatures are friendly, what you can feed those creatures... Isn't there also a "points of interest" system in place too? It feels incredibly Ubisoft in design and that's not a good thing.

Listonosh

I'm disappointed by how much information is served up to the player. What made Minecraft feel grand in scope is that everything was up to discover: crafting recipes, materials, enemy behavior, what blocks have inside them, etc.

that the game will up and tell you where you can mine, what you use those mats for, what creatures are friendly, what you can feed those creatures... Isn't there also a "points of interest" system in place too? It feels incredibly Ubisoft in design and that's not a good thing.

But don't you not have to technically use your scanner to scan your environment, and instead only to identify life forms. I think in that case you shouldn't be seeing any icons popping up. But I could be wrong.

Mafro

Hopefully they'll let you toggle those prompts off.
Yeah I thought the same thing while watching the gameplay videos. But I'm cool with that since I love Destiny's UI. :)
Yeah Destiny has one of the best UIs in gaming. It's good to see it influencing other games.

mjc

This is what I feared. And this is only the tip.

Those 20 minutes of gameplay aren't too hot...I suggest not watching it. Doesn't spoil anything but it's just boring. Looks like a very basic version of the start of any Minecraft run.

So we still aren't sure at what FPS it runs on the PS4? The pop in was kinda jarring at times but if it runs at 60 then I guess I'll just pick up that version.

bounchfx

agreed.. not too hot at all. I'm curious what it's like after 2-3 hours when you have your ship for real, and the types of upgrades that will be available. if the game is just like this vid but over and over I'm probably not going to get it at launch. I'm sure there's much more to it though, this was not a great showing. I look forward to seeing more in depth videos after the player has established themselves.

agreed.. not too hot at all. I'm curious what it's like after 2-3 hours when you have your ship for real, and the types of upgrades that will be available. if the game is just like this vid but over and over I'm probably not going to get it at launch. I'm sure there's much more to it though, this was not a great showing. I look forward to seeing more in depth videos after the player has established themselves.

Wondering this too. I want to see what kinds of things you'll be able to craft and the different ways you can interact with the environment that doesn't involve shooting it with a laser gun.

I didn't like how pieces of texture just stayed floating up in the air while he was mining something. Looked kind of janky.

Pop

Those 20 minutes of gameplay aren't too hot...I suggest not watching it. Doesn't spoil anything but it's just boring. Looks like a very basic version of the start of any Minecraft run.

So we still aren't sure at what FPS it runs on the PS4? The pop in was kinda jarring at times but if it runs at 60 then I guess I'll just pick up that version.

So what did you expect to happen at the start of the game? The information has been out there awhile as to what happens in NMS. Video falls in line with what to expect.

ymgve

I wonder if these questions will get answered:

- Who are you?
- What are you doing in this odd end of the galaxy?
- What happened to your ship?

(Yes, I know, Minecraft didn't have any answers to such questions either)

Krabboss

So what did you expect to happen at the start of the game? The information has been out there awhile as to what happens in NMS. Video falls in line with what to expect.

The video is what I expected. My expectations were to not find the game very exciting.

I'd like to see some of the non Minecrafty stuff, though.

ymgve

Well I didn't see him building anything. So...

The description of the iron plates said they were used in the building of outposts, but not sure if that means you can build outposts, or it means you can more easily get plates by destroying alien outposts.

SomTervo

Remember that what this guy's doing is probably more fun to play than to watch. He is carving an adventure out of this planet. But from our pov it's just walking around shooting stuff.

Sean had said this is specifically why the game's videos and trailers don't say much and are usually sorry. You can't convey the experience just by having someone sit and watch it, unlike many games. Playing it will engage your brain in a totally different way.

Pop

Remember that what this guy's doing is probably more fun to play than to watch. He is carving an adventure out of this planet. But from our pov it's just walking around shooting stuff.

Sean had said this is specifically why the game's videos and trailers don't say much and are usually sorry. You can't convey the experience just by having someone sit and watch it, unlike many games. Playing it will engage your brain in a totally different way.

Yes. People know this and understand it. But still they like to troll.

Thats shit needs to be locked down in the main thread.

Considering the enormous size of the planets you play on and the amount of different stuff you can find, I think the game kinda has to do this. Otherwise it would get frustrating quick, since you wouldn't even know if you will be able to get the resources you need on the planet you are currently on.

I liked what I saw in the video, I looked like i expected and confirmed some things. I imagine there is a system in place to make sure that your first planet isn't some barren wasteland with a toxic atmosphere that will kill you in a couple of minutes.

ymgve

Here's what I was talking about:

8gugcZE.jpg

Building outposts might be a thing.

I really hate to be a Debbie downer, as I'm typically an optimistic kinda person, but am I the only one that thinks this looks incredibly boring?

I feel like that's such an unpopular opinion.

Landford

Banned
Here's what I was talking about:

8gugcZE.jpg

Building outposts might be a thing.

All the itens so far have a little flavor text to them, implying what the item is used around the universe in a worldbuilding aspect. Doubt we can craft any structures.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I really hate to be a Debbie downer, as I'm typically an optimistic kinda person, but am I the only one that thinks this looks incredibly boring?

I feel like that's such an unpopular opinion.

You are not the only one, and you are certainly not the only one to say so in a thread about the game.

If the game isn't for you, great. Just don't go the cool_dude route and deride the game in every thread.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Watchng the video right now. I have to say this looks frickin awesome!

Yes, also the guy needs to do his duty to humanity and make more videos without keeping us in the dark for the next few days.
:p

Happily surprised by the game being 60 fps on PS4. Was going to get the PC version but might use my Amazon Prime discount for the PS4 version instead.

In this post you are acting as if you were talking about being spoiled from early game footage only. But in your original post you were saying, in broad terms, "this game can't really be spoiled". Like, at all.

It definitely can. The 18 quintillion planets and even more races? No. And nobody can spoil your personal adventure. But I'd wager there are at least 20 story/lore elements, not to mention gamed/systems, we likely haven't seen, that will likely be highly spoilable

Well to be fair I did say:
me said:
I personally consider a game this vast virtually unspoilable, at least from watching a few minutes (or hours :3) of streaming

Anyway the point is moot right now (the guy's not uploading any more videos), and we can definitely disagree (I'm going to be playing to explore the unknown and not to reveal lore), aaaaand we're in the spoiler thread so.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Watching this now and it's incredible how this is basically the gameplay demo that would have answered the "what do you do" question slash solved the poor messaging they have had since this game has been announced.

This is very similar to the 20-minute IGN video, just this takes place at the very beginning of the game.

HunRevan

Is pov really a big deal? As an only console gamer I don't see any problem with it. I find it weird to watch streams when pov is so wide. Although I'm gonna buy a pc in september so maybe its gonna change.

Top Bottom