• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

DSix

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

900x900px-LL-aa32b904_captain-terrell-suicide.gif

Odrion

Banned
Huh? They were very clear on what you do in the game. Myriad articles, interviews, etc. discussing exactly what the game was, what Sean and co envisioned the game to be, showing off combat, crafting, scanning, etc.

This notion that were so super coy about the general gameplay and structure of the game isn't accurate at all
yeah, if they're coy about anything it's the robustness of those systems
Considering the enormous size of the planets you play on and the amount of different stuff you can find, I think the game kinda has to do this. Otherwise it would get frustrating quick, since you wouldn't even know if you will be able to get the resources you need on the planet you are currently on.
there's has to be better ways of making that system work without sacrificing the exploration/immersion element

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I know some people want to keep themselves completely in the dark, but I personally consider a game this vast virtually unspoilable, at least from watching a few minutes (or hours :3) of streaming. I'll very likely never encounter the same content as another player, and things like "you can upgrade your mining beam" are so trivial and expected that it won't materially impact my enjoyment of the game.

But, diff'rent strokes and all that.

You're making the mistake of thinking all there is to this game is what the dissenters keep repeating in every NMS thread. The things people don't want spoiling are things to do with the gameplay.

Gold_Loot

Sadly, I didn't get to see the videos before they were taken down but, the screen grabs lead me to believe the graphics got a good deal of polish since those GameSpot previews a few months ago. Is that safe to assume?

So on the 26 minute video

He discovers one species(The Ruggaite) around 12 minutes in, but he only gets a 'Discover a creature' when he scans the other guy(The one following him).

Hrm >_>;

Posted this in the other thread but probably fits better here.

On the topic of the 26 minutes of gameplay video, I kind of wanted to see him leave his first planet but at the same time I'm kind of glad I didn't. If that makes sense. I don't think I'd be able to resist planet to planet gameplay if the guy changed his mind and posted some.

mokeyjoe

On the topic of the 26 minutes of gameplay video, I kind of wanted to see him leave his first planet but at the same time I'm kind of glad I didn't. If that makes sense. I don't think I'd be able to resist planet to planet gameplay if the guy changed his mind and posted some.

Yeah, it was actually a good video that gave you a taste of what the actual mechanisms were like without really being spoilery. In fact, based on what I saw I can imagine leaving the planet for the first time will feel pretty joyous. I kind of feel that's when the game really starts.

Roscoe182

we share the same boat. i wanted to see much much more than he showed/played but im super glad he didn't tho. but if he does i will watch with a huge grin and as soon as its finished il regret it.

i cant believe how long i have been waiting for this game normally i wont pre order, but i cant help myself i went for the digital version for an extra £10 just to be able to play it the second it drops.

im also considering declaring myself dead so i can play the game in peace ...... eternal peace.

Oh, thought you meant the hopping carrot thing

Yeah, it was mentioned in the hands-on previews a few months back. There are also facilities with computers that you break into and interact with, but if you don't know the language, the options will be gibberish. Hope you don't set off the alarm

Cool beans. I shall be Spacejacking some of the cooler ships then!

That 26 minute video made me more excited, even though I kinda knew most of this stuff would be in there (and some cool stuff I did not expect), it managed to surprise me in a lot of ways just because it showed how you actually play certain things, minute to minute. Even the very basic fact of mostly running and seeing that stamina meter deplete (lots of depleting meters in this game btw), something we all knew was in there, finally made it real and gave a much better picture of just how fast and in what way the player will move most of the time.

I got lots of Minecraft, Far Cry and MGSV vibes in there (lots of menu tinkering and that computer voice reminds me so much of the iDroid).

One thing I think it's gonna piss me off is the lists of resources you have while crafting, there's these two rows of just 4 slots per page, just not very easy to sort and view just all the stuff that you have, but I guess I'll have to get used to that.

crossposting since it's about stuff from that stream:

I'm disappointed by how much information is served up to the player. What made Minecraft feel grand in scope is that everything was up to discover: crafting recipes, materials, enemy behavior, what blocks have inside them, etc.

Looking at the twenty minutes here I see
that the game will up and tell you where you can mine, what you use those mats for, what creatures are friendly, what you can feed those creatures... Isn't there also a "points of interest" system in place too? It feels incredibly Ubisoft in design and that's not a good thing.

Heh, this is pretty much what I said almost exactly 2 years ago (I apologize for quoting myself in the most pretentious way possible :p):
Just imagine Far Cry 4, but instead of the towers revealing icons and those icons depicting exactly what the missions are, you reveal icons just by arriving at the planet and discover what the icons are by actually going there.

I've enjoyed the Far Cry games, but they've always been designed around keeping the player safe and overwhelmed with choices beforehand. As in, here's this open world, here are 50 things you can do, right now!, and if you want more of the same things, just climb a tower and they'll appear in a new position. I've always felt that those games needed just a ridiculously small tweak to make everything a lot more interesting, and that's just leave the map completely unpopulated and let the player reveal the points of interest by walking aimlessly and revealing them in his vicinity (NMS does this by pinging). NMS doesn't even have a world map as far as we know, so it makes orientation and exploration that much better. I understand that this just doesn't make a difference to some people and they're just not into that sort of stuff, and that's fine, but to me that's a massive difference between a Ubisoft-based smothering overchoice and a more interesting open world game. You can totally have the same amount of POIs if you want, just let the player use his/her own devices and exploration gameplay mechanics (even if it just means freakin' walking) instead of climbing a tower just to make everything even more boring. To me, that's makes a world of difference. You basically end up with the same map full of POIs, but it's you that populated that map, with your blood, sweat and tears (or just walking and observing). An even better thing might be to actually open a map and manually add a POI icon yourself (like old dungeon crawlers, or a more recent example - Legend of Grimrock), but I think that would've been a bit too much for what NMS is trying to do.

Anyway, looking at that post I made (it was before we knew a lot of other stuff, have never seen the menus etc.), one big thing missing there is that I never mention crafting and inventory management, but other than that, what we've seen so far seems pretty much on point. End of shameful boasting rant.

OmegaDL50

I dont like that the rocks stay in the air when you shoot down the big rock. Hopefully they can fix that

It's not a bug. This game uses Voxels for it's terrain generation rather than preset polygons, so the terrain will be similar to Minecraft in that regard which also uses Voxels as well. So the blocks / voxels will be stuck in their assigned space as per the procedural generation with how terrain forms upon being created.

The game uses Havoc physics, but I don't think the physics engine is tied to terrain objects and considering how the terrain is generated and isn't prebaked assets this makes sense.

mokeyjoe

... me that's a massive difference between a Ubisoft-based smothering overchoice and a more interesting open world game. You can totally have the same amount of POIs if you want, just let the player use his/her own devices and exploration gameplay mechanics (even if it just means freakin' walking) instead of climbing a tower just to make everything even more boring. To me, that's makes a world of difference.

I get a real Metroid Prime vibe from the actual gameplay video. Something about the loneliness and the ecosystem, and the suit and the scanning. Even the icons and things.

The1Ski

Well it's been said that only 10% of the planets will have life, and only 10% of them will have complex life. I don't know the original source, but it's on Wikipedia so it must be true. :p

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose time will tell. Obviously it doesn't make sense for every planet to have animals but we'll see how it plays out.

Roscoe182

The textures are real ugly huh? Like not even in a "they've gone for a look" kind of way.

gotta be a troll post right. no sane person would actually say the game looks "ugly" considering what the guys at hello games have actually managed to do.

18 quintillion + planets to explore what did you expect it to look like?

gotta be a troll post right. no sane person would actually say the game looks "ugly" considering what the guys at hello games have actually managed to do.

Settle down. I've posted dozens of comments on GAF about how much I'm looking forward to the game.

The bit where he is in the cave just looks bad IMO. It's a subjective thing yo.

mokeyjoe

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose time will tell. Obviously it doesn't make sense for every planet to have animals but we'll see how it plays out.

Well it's a very deliberate design choice, so I guess it should be a good thing. There's more to the planets than animals. Other hazards, relics, crash sites and resources. Once you're deep into the game these may more valuable and of more interest to the player.

Roscoe182

10% is still in the billions correct? (i can't math).

see in my head im like 10% of 18 quintillion is easily billions .. thats loads ... the i remember its 10% of a number thats so big if you started counting to it from the second the big bang went off to this point now you wouldn't even be close to half way to that number.

so now i think about it i wouldn't be very shocked if they made that 10% alittle bigger down the line.

OmegaDL50

It's not even that. Most of the terrain seems to be totally destructible. So it's not like it's a preset polyon asset with texture applied to it anyways.

While is artistically nice looking. It's not going to ever be a technical pretty game along the lines of something like Uncharted 4.

It's because of this game is less demanding on the GPU side of things and is a more CPU heavy sort of game.

There are no prebaked assets or large texture files requiring load), so in terms of world generation and visuals and performance, one should look at other procedurally generated games as a reference point.

Roscoe182

Settle down. I've posted dozens of comments on GAF about how much I'm looking forward to the game.

ahh the problem with writing on a forum the humor doesnt come across. i was just taking the piss (having a joke if you're not english).

tbf the version i watched was recorded with a bit of sweetcorn.
but either way as you correctly point out its subjective and tbh i think i would be just as happy if it looked like minecraft, as long as the gameplay is solid il be as happy as gary glitter teaching primary school kids.

I get a real Metroid Prime vibe from the actual gameplay video. Something about the loneliness and the ecosystem, and the suit and the scanning. Even the icons and things.

I've unfortunately not played much of the Metroid Prime games (something I'll have to rectify sometime in the future), but the scanning definitely gives a bit of that vibe. I would actually love if we could scan even more things in NMS, but also in various ways (as in having different gadgets for different things, seismic scanners, x-rays, all sorts of stuff), but that's not really what NMS is about, and that's fine.

One line of thinking I hope this video will put to rest though is that this is definitely not Proteus. I'm actually expecting calm planets that will totally give a more Proteus-like experiences (basically having the minimum of environment hazards and dangerous creatures, and much more non-aggressive flora, fauna and plenty of artefacts and other useful POIs), but that will most probably not be the most common experience.

mokeyjoe

I have to say I didn't think so. And the FOV was fine for me too, but then it was what I'm used to so YMMV.

As far as the textures go, I mean you can tell it's a procedurally generated game, they're not super real, but it's definitely not 'ugly' as far as I can see. The style of the game hangs together really well overall. The ground textures seemed on par with something like GTA V or Skyrim, or other previous gen games. Maybe a little better, looking at it again.

I think the 'badness' is generally down to the way different textures are bumping up against each other, there are definitely 'seams' there. But I've seen that in other open world games that aren't procedurally generating things, so I'm not finding it unreasonable

CHC

Well the other thing to consider is that you're not obligated to land on every planet. Since there is no way you can land on even any meaningful fraction of them, there's no harm in just flying past a planet and being like "eh looks boring, no thanks."

As a total compeltionist, this game makes me so excited because it will finally free me from the desire to fully explore everything. Once you know it isn't even remotely possible, you can just do whatever you feel like doing.

10% is still in the billions correct? (i can't math).

see in my head im like 10% of 18 quintillion is easily billions .. thats loads ... the i remember its 10% of a number thats so big if you started counting to it from the second the big bang went off to this point now you wouldn't even be close to half way to that number.

so now i think about it i wouldn't be very shocked if they made that 10% alittle bigger down the line.

10% is 1.8 quintillion.

mokeyjoe

Well the other thing to consider is that you're not obligated to land on every planet. Since there is no way you can land on even any meaningful fraction of them, there's no harm in just flying past a planet and being like "eh looks boring, no thanks."

As a total compeltionist, this game makes me so excited because it will finally free me from the desire to fully explore everything. Once you know it isn't even remotely possible, you can just do whatever you feel like doing.

I wonder if it's possible to complete the 'alien dictionary'.

OmegaDL50

One line of thinking I hope this video will put to rest though is that this is definitely not Proteus.

Yeah, I still can't believe someone was trying to say that with all of the information that is available. Even stranger it was coming from another dev too.

Top Bottom