• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you get to the center of the universe, you can easily co-op. I'm hoping.

mokeyjoe

– The day/night cycle is really fast; the planet goes from day to night in about 15 minutes. It looks like the time in the bottom-left UI is a 24-hour clock, but those 24-hours are scaled to fit whatever the rotation rate of the planet you're on is. This planet's day/night cycle certainly seems faster than anything we've seen before, but it's hard to tell because Hello turned off that UI in their previous "long" demos with IGN. I hope that there are planets with true Earth-paced day/night cycles.

Probably, although realism takes a back seat to gameplay in a lot of the universe. I mean there could potentially be planets with one side always facing the star. Who knows.

Roscoe182

The question was simple, Can I meet up with a friend and co-op with a buddy. That is the same exact question asked in the video I posted. Sean's answer was No. If he says no, why are you saying yes?

ok so lets do it like this.. we are mates and we are both playing we happen to randomly are in the same galaxy are you saying if we flew to the exact same planet and landed in the same area you wouldnt be there for me at all i wouldnt see you and i wouldnt see your ship or you shooting ????

that was the basic question "can i meet up with a mate" the answer is yes..... but as we are all aware that it more than likely wont happen BUT it can. thats why im saying yes.

OmegaDL50

Because the other person would have to stay in that same spot for multiple hours? I'm not sure too many people are willing to do that. Maybe some will, but I certainly wouldn't want to stay in one spot for possibly 8-10 hours waiting on someone who still may not find me (the planets are huge).

Why wait in one spot when both players can move at the same time to reach a common destination.

The problem with this is finding where this shared destination is going to be and is it feasible to get to in a reasonable time frame for both players.

This is the crux with a huge game universe. Players will be separated by essentially thousands of light years worth of distance that needs to be traversed.

RiverKwai

Interviewer: "So you are saying that if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?"

Sean: Uh, no. That's not really what the game is about. It's not like... again with that.... when you talk about multiplayer, it just gives people the wrong impression. That's not what we're trying to build and that's not what people should be thinking about going into the game really.

For those of you who somehow don't watch youtube videos

Vexidus

yes if you can find them you can go around together and play the game co-op style.

There is no way to know if you will be put into the same instance as your friend. You could spend months gathering enough resources to get to the same point in the galaxy and then potentially discover that you aren't in the same instance and thus can't see each other. Sean in on record describing what he envisions the multiplayer to be like, and in no way does it resemble co-op play in any sense in relation to someone not knowing about the game asking about it having co-op play.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There's definitely some influence from MGSV. The interaction-progress circle UI element and the binoculars especially. No complaints from me.

re: the menu UI, yeah, in one of the trailers there was a ship purchase screen and all the ship features were still laid out in that square grid. And I don't like how most of the item text has to scroll because of the small horizontal space in each box. It feels like the Art Director just sold himself on that style early on and wanted to do everything in that interface. But it doesn't scale very well and doesn't suit every kind of info display.

Couple other random observations:
– The day/night cycle is really fast; the planet goes from day to night in about 15 minutes. It looks like the time in the bottom-left UI is a 24-hour clock, but those 24-hours are scaled to fit whatever the rotation rate of the planet you're on is. This planet's day/night cycle certainly seems faster than anything we've seen before, but it's hard to tell because Hello turned off that UI in their previous "long" demos with IGN. I hope that there are planets with true Earth-paced day/night cycles.

– Things like the pulsating plants and large geologic structures are far more alien than what I expected for the edge of the galaxy. Honestly some of the most impressive landscapes I've seen in this game in terms of "wow" value. But makes me really wonder what kind of crazy things are in store for us as we get towards the center.

Are you sure about that? I'm watching the vid now and seconds are counting down as seconds should. There's no sense that time is running faster.

edit: Oh shit, I just spotted something. When he jumped into that cave he comes in contact with one of those red floating motes and his clock disappears. When it reappears it's 3 hours later!

Roscoe182

There is no way to know if you will be put into the same instance as your friend. You could spend months gathering enough resources to get to the same point in the galaxy and then potentially discover that you aren't in the same instance and thus can't see each other. Sean in on record describing what he envisions the multiplayer to be like, and in no way does it resemble co-op play in any sense in relation to someone not knowing about the game asking about it having co-op play.

never said it was a co-op game did i?? just said if you can find them then yes you can go around with them.

So speaking of online, what exactly happens if I start a game when I don't have PS+ (which I don't) but later get PS+

As I've understood it, when you log a new planet/creature/whatever, it gets logged for others to see. But if your offline/don't have PS+ then theres a chance you could overwrite somone's log when you do go online or someone overwrites yours. Seems confusing. I guess noone knows quite yet. Or maybe its like Watchdogs where you don't need PS+ (That was so cool when I suddenly got hacked going back into that game lol.)

Seeing this come up again makes me really want the game, and I might be able to pull off buying it. Too many games and not enough money for me!

Games looks awesome! Hope it does sell well and is a success for the developers!

yeah drop the snide remarks.

can i meet up with a mate in the game .. yes or no?

The answer seems to be a firm "maybe". According to an interview that's nearly 2 years old now, if you were able to be in the same place at the same time and you happen to be in the same "lobby" together, you could see each other.

As far as I can tell, there's literally no other information about what two players interacting will even look like. Whether you can trade or fight or whatever else, we don't know.

Vex_

Banned
The answer seems to be a firm "maybe". According to an interview that's nearly 2 years old now, if you were able to be in the same place at the same time and you happen to be in the same "lobby" together, you could see each other.

As far as I can tell, there's literally no other information about what two players interacting will even look like. Whether you can trade or fight or whatever else, we don't know.

Here we go again "maybe". Holy shit.

Then there was the time where he said you wouldn't know what you looked like unless another person saw you. Anyone remember that?

...sooooo another player then?

I swear he's fucking with us.

For those of you who somehow don't watch youtube videos

This is how I feel every time there's a multiplayer discussion in a NMS thread:
so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Are you sure about that? I'm watching the vid now and seconds are counting down as seconds should. There's no sense that time is running faster.

Those are supposed to be minutes (it's a 24-hour clock... HH:MM). But they certainly change like seconds, yes..

Based off all the interviews and hints...

You could meet up with another player character in the game.

Just don't expect to have any control over who you want to meet or if you could even actually meet them even if you coordinate to be in the same location at the same time together.

The system is both location and instance-lobby based, which means just like Destiny, you gotta hope the system suddenly decides they want to have Player X share the same space as Player Y.

Just hope the "lobby" activates for both players so that the shared space links both of the players.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is how I feel every time there's a multiplayer discussion in a NMS thread:
so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Those are supposed to be minutes (it's a 24-hour clock... HH:MM). But they certainly change like seconds, yes..

I just edited my post:

Oh shit, I just spotted something. When he jumped into that cave he comes in contact with one of those red floating motes and his clock disappears. When it reappears it's 2 and a half hours later!

Those motes (or perhaps the creature) move time forward. I wonder if some move time backwards?

Vex_

Banned

Just don't expect to have any control over who you want to meet or if you could even actually meet them even if you coordinate to be in the same location at the same time together.

The system is both location and instance-lobby based, which means just like Destiny, you gotta hope the system suddenly decides they want to have Player X share the same space as Player Y.

Just hope the "lobby" activates for both players so that the shared space links both of the players.

So there IS MULTIPLAYER THEN?

So..... why then..?. never mind.

RiverKwai

ok so lets do it like this.. we are mates and we are both playing we happen to randomly are in the same galaxy are you saying if we flew to the exact same planet and landed in the same area you wouldnt be there for me at all i wouldnt see you and i wouldnt see your ship or you shooting ????

that was the basic question "can i meet up with a mate" the answer is yes..... but as we are all aware that it more than likely wont happen BUT it can. thats why im saying yes.

Being able to see each other is not co-op.Lets not be disingenuous here.

edit: Oh shit, I just spotted something. When he jumped into that cave he comes in contact with one of those red floating motes and his clock disappears. When it reappears it's 3 hours later!

oooh..wonder if he got drugged...

Roscoe182

Thank you..

Roscoe182

Being able to see each other is not co-op.Lets not be disingenuous here.

oh come on so now that other ppl are agreeing with me now you want to start nitpicking.
jesus christ if you read what id said you wouldn't even be arguing.

xan i meet a mate and go round co-op "style" yes is the answer. there is no argument top be had let alone trying to say im dishing out BS info.

RiverKwai

oh come on so now that other ppl are agreeing with me now you want to start nitpicking.

xan i meet a mate and go round co-op "style" yes is the answer. there is no argument top be had let alone trying to say im dishing out BS info.

You cannot go around co op style with someone. WTF. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Roscoe182

You cannot go around co op style with someone. WTF. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

so i cant meet up with anyone then,and if i could i certainly couldnt fly with them or walk by them.

i answered the basic question with a basic answer. because yes you can meet up with a mate how much co-op is done is on the player.

Nilaul

so i cant meet up with anyone then,and if i could i certainly couldnt fly with them or walk by them.

i answered the basic question with a basic answer. because yes you can meet up with a mate how much co-op is done is on the player.

I mean if you meet up a random player.. whats to stop you from leaching on to him? Nothing. So the game become's co'op unless the other user decides to kill you (and take your stuff)?

Vex_

Banned
He literally says No. I even quoted it for you.

Since it is so clear that he just says no, then why are there people in this very thread claiming (with evidence) that it is in fact the opposite????

Such a clear message this man sends eh?

I'm talking about multiplayer btw. I don't give a hoot about coop. MULTIPLAYER FFS.

It's possible, but not probable. If you found a way to actually get to the same location (say a space station since it's more controlled space) you might get instanced into multiplayer with your friend... Might.

It's just up to chance. Put it this way, Sony is so confident it won't happen, the game does not require PS+

However toward the center of the universe as players start heading there...the chances of a "Journey" style multiplayer instance increases.

jwk94

Why is this multiplayer thing such a huge issue? Chances are you're not gonna run across anyone and if you do, it'll be once or twice until you're on to the next game.

Roscoe182

I mean if you meet up a random player.. whats to stop you from leaching on to him? Nothing. So the game become's co'op unless the other user decides to kill you (and take your stuff)?

yup exactly.how many times have game evs said they were shocked at how players played the game imposing there own rules ect.

Everything I say here is conjecture, but from what Sean has hinted...

The key thing about NMS is that there is no mechanic or system in the game to "enable" co-operative experiences. I would imagine there is no party system, no friend system, you can't join another person's instance even if you met them before, no invasion system, etc.

All you get to do is see them if you're lucky, maybe some minor interactions, and once you're out of the shared lobby, it's back to normal. Multiplayer elements of NMS exist only to supplement the concept of exploring and finding surprises, not for you to be able to join a buddy to travel the universe together.

I mean, sure. I can imagine that if you met a player character randomly, you can go around shooting lasers at rocks and creatures with that person. But that shared space is probably one-off, and any semblance of co-op is like a chance encounter that you make the most out of that random encounter with another player until system cuts off the lobby.

I don't know but the time definitely jumped. I was 2 hours and 20 odd minutes actually. I wonder if there are other things like that? Perhaps something that sends you back in time?

The time didn't jump; it just appears that way because the UI disappears for a while (for some reason). If you start at say 9:30 secs into the video and then go to 11:30 secs in the video, you'll see about two hours have passed. It's just a really fast day/night cycle.

I think at best, you can think of it like in Journey - except it will be nearly infinitely less likely and you won't likely be running around helping each other. Trying to meet up with someone intentionally will be almost impossible.

I don't care about multiplayer in a game like this, and if I somehow happen to find someone I will consider it an amazing bonus (and I will exit the game not long after and go buy some lottery tickets).

Roscoe182

It's possible, but not probable. If you found a way to actually get to the same location (say a space station since it's more controlled space) you might get instanced into multiplayer with your friend... Might.

It's just up to chance. Put it this way, Sony is so confident it won't happen, the game does not require PS+

However toward the center of the universe as players start heading there...the chances of a "Journey" style multiplayer instance increases.
yeah thats exactly what i have said from the first comment on this subject.

RiverKwai

Since it is so clear that he just says no, then why are there people in this very thread claiming (with evidence) that it is in fact the opposite????

Nobody has evidence of the opposite because the opposite is conjecture and goes against what Sean has been pretty clear on for 3 years now.

I mean if you meet up a random player.. whats to stop you from leaching on to him?
The lack of anything programmed to facilitate that in the game. Seeing other players is instanced and limited. They get too far away from you and they will just disappear. Game may not even put you together if you get close enough. That's how instances generally work.

Roscoe182

I think at best, you can think of it like in Journey - except it will be nearly infinitely less likely and you won't likely be running around helping each other. Trying to meet up with someone intentionally will be almost impossible.

I don't care about multiplayer in a game like this, and if I somehow happen to find someone I will consider it an amazing bonus (and I will exit the game not long after and go buy some lottery tickets).

again as i have repeated that's exactly what i have said.. tye point im arguing is that yes it is possible but so unlikely.

never played journey what was the MP twist wth that .

vix

Wasn't it said at one point that if you ever ran across another player, chances are you wouldn't even know it was a live person behind the avatar walking about/flying a ship or if it was an npc?

Vex_

Banned
Why is this multiplayer thing such a huge issue? Chances are you're not gonna run across anyone and if you do, it'll be once or twice until you're on to the next game.

Part of what makes "exploration" - especially space exploration so appealing is running into other intelligent beings by chance.

If there is multiplayer, I don't think you all realize just how "huge" of a deal this is. It can't be described in mere words.

Just my two cents anyways. I'll probably end up disappointed on that im sure tho.

Top Bottom