• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Vex_

Banned
So you all can have an easier time finding me, I will name all the planets I land on as "NOPE".

so if you look at all the planets together, it will look like "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE". This way, you will know pirate Vex was there.

This will help us confirm multiplayer.

Roscoe182

You can't ignore that stuff, that's where you are making assumptions.

omg stop deflecting.

i answered the simple question in a simple way as to not start another MP thing in a NMS thread.

i even went onto say thats its so unlikely to happen tho. and here you are arguing with me for no reason over if it can or not.. sorry the answer is yes it can happen.. will it ? hugly doubtful.. whats confusing you about my answer.

Nilaul

Wasn't it said at one point that if you ever ran across another player, chances are you wouldn't even know it was a live person behind the avatar walking about/flying a ship or if it was an npc?

It would be pretty impossible not to tell. There many things that other player might do that would give that away.

Anyway if people want to play this as co-op/vs game why not make it possible in a future update? Obviously this game will evolve in ways the developer did not intend it.

KingV

Nobody has evidence of the opposite because the opposite is conjecture and goes against what Sean has been pretty clear on for 3 years now.

The lack of anything programmed to facilitate that in the game. Seeing other players is instanced and limited. They get too far away from you and they will just disappear. Game may not even put you together if you get close enough. That's how instances generally work.

I doubt the game allows you to interact with another player in any meaningful way in real time. Why would a small team design and run this fancy lobby and instancing system for something that probably never occur. I'm like 99% sure it is not in the game whatsoever. Like if you land on the same planet in the same place as your buddy, you will not see what he does in real time and he will not see what you do in real time. You won't be able to shoot or loot each other's corpses. At best you will see some evidence that he was there, like his ship, or some holes he dug or something. Or the aliens will talk about him. Expecting anything else is just... Not likely.

cripterion

Nobody has evidence of the opposite because the opposite is conjecture and goes against what Sean has been pretty clear on for 3 years now.

The lack of anything programmed to facilitate that in the game. Seeing other players is instanced and limited. They get too far away from you and they will just disappear. Game may not even put you together if you get close enough. That's how instances generally work.

Well this blows then.
How can the universe be even coherent if a person that was just next to me disappears cause of technical reasons?

KingV

Well this blows then.
How can the universe be even coherent if a person that was just next to me disappears cause of technical reasons?

I'm fairly certain that there will never be a person there to disappear. At best you will see one of the many animals he named.

diggler41

Oh man. The guy playing not sending his materials back to his ship then running out of storage space. Yelling at my screen. lol

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The time didn't jump; it just appears that way because the UI disappears for a while (for some reason). If you start at say 9:30 secs into the video and then go to 11:30 secs in the video, you'll see about two hours have passed. It's just a really fast day/night cycle.

Yeah, you're probably right. I still had it in my head that those were seconds and not minutes. So it does look like planets have a 12 hour day, which is find by me. Unless it's different on other planets.

Theoretically, as you approach the center of the universe, player density should become greater, right? Assuming everyone is attempting the same thing?

If you look at it like a bunch of rings, starting on the outer ring and working inward, as people end up inside the smaller rings everything becomes compressed in a tinier space and nearing the center there should be many more players there

I didn't think of that until someone in this thread mentioned it, but it makes total sense, and is actually really cool

OmegaX06

Why did they send copies to retailers so early? In the past, it always seemed like stores got new games the Thursday or Friday before release day,

RiverKwai

omg stop deflecting.

i answered the simple question in a simple way as to not start another MP thing in a NMS thread.

i even went onto say thats its so unlikely to happen tho. and here you are arguing with me for no reason over if it can or not.. sorry the answer is yes it can happen.. will it ? hugly doubtful.. whats confusing you about my answer.

You may have answered the answer in a simple way, but it's wrong. I'm not arguing with you or deflecting, I'm correcting your false assumptions with evidence.

I was just asking you to please stop giving people incorrect information, that's all. Just to refresh:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211901988&postcount=270
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211902054&postcount=272

Both of these statements are misleading and incorrect and I posted what Sean said specifically about this.

Roscoe182

Yeah, you're probably right. I still had it in my head that those were seconds and not minutes. So it does look like planets have a 12 hour day, which is find by me. Unless it's different on other planets.

im sure i read that some planets do orbit and spin faster ... i could be wrong tho as its not something i recall seeing recently.

i will try to find it.

vix

It would be pretty impossible not to tell. There many things that other player might do that would give that away.

Anyway if people want to play this as co-op/vs game why not make it possible in a future update? Obviously this game will evolve in ways the developer did not intend it.
I was only saying something I remembered from some interview I heard. I think it might be another one of those questions without a concrete in stone answer since in a way, it could be a huge spoiler.

But, as for the second point...wouldn't the incorporation of a legit mp mode mean plus would be required? If the game doesn't require plus now, a signal some articles on the net are saying means no mp at all at release...if an mp mode comes down the line and it requires plus, wouldn't that kind of be a slap in the face? I imagine death threats would be sent again.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
im sure i read that some planets do orbit and spin faster ... i could be wrong tho as its not something i recall seeing recently.

i will try to find it.

I think I saw that too but you'd think there would be seconds as well as hours and minutes if that was the case.

Nilaul

I wonder if they will use a Nintendo-like dictionary of words that can't be used.

Other wise get ready for "Cuckworld" populated with "dicknoses" and "Meat Flappers".

Its so easy to get around that "dictionary" with a little bit of creativity (like in Smash).

LIke "cock" could be "c0ck". "I" could be replaced with "!" or "]" ";" etc. They might as well not censor it. The only way they can deal with names like that is if they have someone moderating every new name.

RiverKwai

Well this blows then.

It works the same exact way in the over-world maps of Destiny FYI. You'll see people, they run into a dead end room ahead of you, you follow them in, they are gone and you never see them again. It's just one of those weird things that happens in some videogames.

Roscoe182

You may have answered the answer in a simple way, but it's wrong. I'm not arguing with you or deflecting, I'm correcting your false assumptions with evidence.

I was just asking you to please stop giving people incorrect information, that's all. Just to refresh:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211901988&postcount=270
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211902054&postcount=272

Both of these statements are misleading and incorrect and I posted what Sean said specifically about this.

from Murray
"Is No Man's Sky a single-player or multiplayer game?

This isn't that simple to answer completely, largely because Sean Murray of Hello Games, creator of No Man's Sky, has been a bit vague about it himself.

The answer, ultimately, is that it's a bit of both. First, the chances of ever running into another player in a universe this huge are extremely slim. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

Take our own planet. If there were 100 people on Earth, the odds of any two of them ever meeting aren't great, even if they wandered around on the surface for years. The same principle applies to No Man's Sky.

That doesn't mean that players will never meet one another, but even if they do, Murray made it clear in an interview with Game Informer that No Man's Sky definitely isn't an MMO. It's not designed to have a bunch of players all in the same place at the same time, playing alongside each other. However, the game is prepared in the unlikely event that you do come into contact with another player, due to a personal 'lobby' that surrounds each player like a bubble.

"What we can do is, like many games that you have at the moment, where you are flying around with an open lobby," Murray said. "People are coming into that lobby and leaving it—like if you play Watch Dogs or something like that. Effectively, we have players joining your discrete space. We're not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen."

Essentially, think of No Man's Sky as a single-player game that another player might—probably won't, but might—arrive in at some point."

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-10-burning-questions-answered/

so yes it is possible is exactly what he is saying here.

Shy

There's a bunch of screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/OFUhU
I WANT IT NOW!!!
OXOnTC3.gif

I wish i knew how to get an early copy.

Listonosh

So on the 26 minute video

He discovers one species(The Ruggaite) around 12 minutes in, but he only gets a 'Discover a creature' when he scans the other guy(The one following him).

Hrm >_>;

Probably already answered but the Ruggaite he scans is actually the little yellow things on the ground, not the little dinosaur green things running around. If you look at the screen right above where it says newly discovered Ruggaite, it shows you a picture of what you just scanned.

I was only saying something I remembered from some interview I heard. I think it might be another one of those questions without a concrete in stone answer since in a way, it could be a huge spoiler.

But, as for the second point...wouldn't the incorporation of a legit mp mode mean plus would be required? If the game doesn't require plus now, a signal some articles on the net are saying means no mp at all at release...if an mp mode comes down the line and it requires plus, wouldn't that kind of be a slap in the face? I imagine death threats would be sent again.

I think if fans demand it, and Sean has stated he would like to keep working on this game they might add that and other things in a future update using a minecraft like update system. Would that still remain free to use without PS+? Speculation ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I think it depends on multiple factors. How well the game is selling? How much goodwill would Sony want to extend marketing/supporting this product. How much kudos would they get for still not requiring plus.

I'd also imagine the size and ambition of this theoretical multiplayer experience would be a determining factor as well.

The1Ski

Well it's a very deliberate design choice, so I guess it should be a good thing. There's more to the planets than animals. Other hazards, relics, crash sites and resources. Once you're deep into the game these may more valuable and of more interest to the player.

Ooh come on now, you're implying that every design choice a dev makes is a good one just because it was deliberate!!

Anyway, there's definitely more to do on the planets than mess with animals. I think only playing the game and getting a feel for things will answer the too high / too low question.

RiverKwai

that is sean talking .. come on man can you really not see what i said was correct.

it is possible end of.

Dude, this is the Sean Murray quote in that article

"What we can do is, like many games that you have at the moment, where you are flying around with an open lobby," Murray said. "People are coming into that lobby and leaving it—like if you play Watch Dogs or something like that. Effectively, we have players joining your discrete space. We're not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen."

Nowhere in it does it say that you can fly around with your buddies and co op. It says you'll see people, it does not say that you can join them at will or encounter them on pupose. It doesnt say you can follow them around. It does not address the point you're trying to make.

The video I posted on the other hand directly addresses the question, and the answer is "no".

Probably already answered but the Ruggaite he scans is actually the little yellow things on the ground, not the little dinosaur green things running around. If you look at the screen right above where it says newly discovered Ruggaite, it shows you a picture of what you just scanned.

Oooh I see, he miscanned it >_>;

cripterion

Tell us when you see it happen. Hopefully I'll still be alive to reply.

So you think no one will finish this game too then? The goal is to get to the center of the universe, and I reckon plenty of people will be playing this game, no I don't think it will be odd that some will meet down the line. Unless their universe is a bullshit world and some planets/places exist for some and not for others.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
that is sean talking .. come on man can you really not see what i said was correct.

it is possible end of.

Let's just say if someone asks if it has multiplayer it's best to tell them 'no'. If you don't then we'll keep getting this conversation forever and we'll be hearing complaints forever too. The only reason it's there and the only reason Sean doesn't want to entirely discount it is because he wants us to feel there's a possibility. This way the universe will be filled with 'what ifs'. You see a ship flying across the sky. Is that another player? 'Possibly' I'll follow it to find out. If he outright said there wasn't a chance then you wouldn't even bother considering whether it could be another player and so you wouldn't feel it necessary to follow it.

My fear for this game is that after visiting and seeing 25 or so planets that it will get boring due to only minute differences between each planet, ie: Slightly different color palate, slightly different terrain, similar creatures with only slight differences (expect to see 100 different versions of a brontosaurus but it's still a brontosaurus), etc. I don't think it's possible to create a game with a universe so big and have every planet truly different enough to continually be interesting to explore.

The1Ski

Well the other thing to consider is that you're not obligated to land on every planet. Since there is no way you can land on even any meaningful fraction of them, there's no harm in just flying past a planet and being like "eh looks boring, no thanks."

As a total compeltionist, this game makes me so excited because it will finally free me from the desire to fully explore everything. Once you know it isn't even remotely possible, you can just do whatever you feel like doing.

I'm more wondering if the 10% actually ends up feeling too high. That's a good point in the flybys though.

Listonosh

Oooh I see, he miscanned it >_>;

Yeah it happened so fast, and it certainly looks like he's aiming at it. At first I thought it didn't recognize it as a creature, as opposed to the tame one, since it was so small, so the game classified as like a fodder creature, just there for decoration, but I'm glad that's not the case.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
My fear for this game is that after visiting and seeing 25 or so planets that it will get boring due to only minute differences between each planet, ie: Slightly different color palate, slightly different terrain, similar creatures with only slight differences (expect to see 100 different versions of a brontosaurus but it's still a brontosaurus), etc. I don't think it's possible to create a game with a universe so big and have every planet truly different enough to continually be interesting to explore.

There's a huge variety of animals and planets. I know this because I've seen them in all the vids I've watched.

Roscoe182

you shut your dirty mouth.

atm all i can think of is how far down can i go. im pretty tempted to just dig/shoot down as soon as i have my ship working i have to know whats there.

I think the way to partially avoid that is do things other than land on planets. Land on a few then go trade for fuel etc. After that try and help ships under attack then go land on a few planets. Stuff like that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
ahh only a short distance then lol.

do we know if the planet has a core or anything like that or will it be you get so far down then you can dig no more?

That's not been made clear. Perhaps that 128 metres is just the average and there's room for adjustments. For instance, if there's a rather flat planet, maybe they can use the lack of verticality to add extra depth, if you catch my drift.

Top Bottom