• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Roscoe182

That's not been made clear. Perhaps that 128 metres is just the average and there's room for adjustments. For instance, if there's a rather flat planet, maybe they can use the lack of verticality to add extra depth, if you catch my drift.

yeah im with you would make sense aswell.

That's not been made clear. Perhaps that 128 metres is just the average and there's room for adjustments. For instance, if there's a rather flat planet, maybe they can use the lack of verticality to add extra depth, if you catch my drift.

I just hope the planets have realistic valleys, craters and ravines like the reports from planets in our own solar system have shown. I think Elite dangerous simulates this pretty well from what little footage I have seen of people exploring with their rovers. There are some pits where if you fell into them you could possibly be falling for minutes at a time, or so I've heard.

I would love to come upon seriously monstrous and crazy landscapes like that. Sheer drop-offs where you can't even see the bottom or the other side. Spooky...

Roscoe182

I just hope the planets have realistic valleys, craters and ravines like the reports from planets in our own solar system have shown. I think Elite dangerous simulates this pretty well from what little footage I have seen of people exploring with their rovers. There are some pits where if you fell into them you could possibly be falling for minutes at a time, or so I've heard.

I would love to come upon seriously monstrous and crazy landscapes like that. Sheer drop-offs where you can't even see the bottom or the other side. Spooky...

There must be if there are mountains right?

yeah im with you would make sense aswell.

I'm only quoting this post so it's clear I'm talking to you. This whole "does coop exist" argument is foolish. Anything and everthing they have said leads to the obvious answer: NO.

Let's just work with YOUR argument that it's possible, assuming their talk about a "bubble" around the player means an instance system someone could conceivably enter into. Ok Jim Carrey, there's a chance. But that chance is so utterly remote as to be virtually nil.

If the game works on an instance-based system, then even if you and "your mate" spend weeks travelling to the same quadrant of the universe, then the same galaxy, then the same solar system, and the same planet.... and that's a HUGE 'if', since none of the galaxies, solar systems, or planets have names. How do you coordinate where to go? You can't say "I'm heading to Alpha-centaury 1, subsector gamma, planet 5 of the Gantres constellation. You simply won't have any feasible means to coordinate your movements with one another, even if you tried.

So IF that happens, then you still need to be in the same INSTANCE. Ever try to randomly run across a friend in Destiny? It doesnt happen. Even in the microscopically small by comparison play space, you simply do not run across people you know. You have to invite them to get into an instance and play together.

The odds of running into ANYONE in NMS are so small, and the odds of being put into the same insance as "your mate" are infantessimally smaller still.

Like, even if you run across a random person and decide to follow them, as soon as the two of you get into your ships, you will very likely be 'instanced' into a different instance from one another. It is highly unlikely you could stay in the same instance with a single person that you ran into randomly, even if you tried.

There is no invite a friend system. There is no functionality in place to force the game to pair you up.

So yes, while it is POSSIBLE (as in like 0.00000000000000000000000000001% chance) that you COULD be put in the same instance as "your mate" if you were in the same place at the same time, the odds are so small as to be bordering on the infinite. Meaning that for all practical, realistic purposes, the answer is fucking NO.

And rather than give this whole explanation every time someone asks if it has coop, it's best if you just say NO, because aything else IS spreading misinformation.

Hello Games should have designed a humanoid character that's AI is programmed to apprehensively follow a player around on a planet's surface, occasionally making erratic movements like circling or ducking as if it's another player trying to communicate with you.

The YouTube videos would be fucking amazing.

Shamdeo

Might be old news(?), but I guess the Milestones are like quasi-"titles" you can level up with corresponding actions. Seems the number in gold on the far right is the "level."

Capped this from that 26-min vid - it's a quick shot as the dude is flipping through menus.

milestoneada0e.png

greatgeek

Banned
I'm only quoting this post so it's clear I'm talking to you. This whole "does coop exist" argument is foolish. Anything and everthing they have said leads to the obvious answer: NO.

It's absolutely not obvious that co-op does not exist. You cannot assume that the game is not designed to automatically place two players into the same instance when they're in close proximity.

It's absolutely not obvious that co-op does not exist. You cannot assume that the game is not designed to automatically place two players into the same instance when they're in close proximity.

Based on everything the devs have said, yes, yes we can. But keep the dream alive if you wish. I won't spend 3 dozen posts trying to convince people of the obvious. They'll see soon enough.

greatgeek

Banned
Based on everything the devs have said, yes, yes we can. But keep the dream alive if you wish. I won't spend 3 dozen posts trying to convince people of the obvioud. They'll see soon enough.
What are you referring to? I've followed NMS closely, and have probably heard everything HG has disclosed about the game's multiplayer/co-op aspects. I cannot recall a single instance where HG suggested nultiplayer is unlikely because of programming/networking constraints. Rather, HG has alwayd seemed to talk about the unlikelyhood of multiplayer in the context of the vast physical space players can occupy; multiplayer is improbable because the space in which it can occur represents a tiny fraction of playable space that player will probably not share.

Roscoe182

Let's just work with YOUR argument that it's possible, assuming their talk about a "bubble" around the player means an instance system someone could conceivably enter into. Ok Jim Carrey, there's a chance. But that chance is so utterly remote as to be virtually nil.

If the game works on an instance-based system, then even if you and "your mate" spend weeks travelling to the same quadrant of the universe, then the same galaxy, then the same solar system, and the same planet.... and that's a HUGE 'if', since none of the galaxies, solar systems, or planets have names. How do you coordinate where to go? You can't say "I'm heading to Alpha-centaury 1, subsector gamma, planet 5 of the Gantres constellation. You simply won't have any feasible means to coordinate your movements with one another, even if you tried.

So IF that happens, then you still need to be in the same INSTANCE. Ever try to randomly run across a friend in Destiny? It doesnt happen. Even in the microscopically small by comparison play space, you simply do not run across people you know. You have to invite them to get into an instance and play together.

The odds of running into ANYONE in NMS are so small, and the odds of being put into the same insance as "your mate" are infantessimally smaller still.

Like, even if you run across a random person and decide to follow them, as soon as the two of you get into your ships, you will very likely be 'instanced' into a different instance from one another. It is highly unlikely you could stay in the same instance with a single person that you ran into randomly, even if you tried.

There is no invite a friend system. There is no functionality in place to force the game to pair you up.

So yes, while it is POSSIBLE (as in like 0.00000000000000000000000000001% chance) that you COULD be put in the same instance as "your mate" if you were in the same place at the same time, the odds are so small as to be bordering on the infinite. Meaning that for all practical, realistic purposes, the answer is fucking NO.

And rather than give this whole explanation every time someone asks if it has coop, it's best if you just say NO, because aything else IS spreading misinformation.

yeah i haven't said anything that disagrees with that tho. you have literally just repeated what i said in greater detail.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So no way to watch that 25min video that people went bonkers for?

I've followed NMS since the start. I don't say this out of any "hope" I'm holding out for the feature. because I don't care that much, especially since they said they're probably going to add a traditional multiplayer later. I think the game will allow you to see another person if you come across them.

Earlier on, he talked so much about the possibility of coming across another player, in many different forms. He'd talk about how rare it would be on multiple occasions, he talked about the lobby thing, and something to do with not knowing what your character looks like unless someone else saw you and told you. He'd also say things like "you could come across a player and not even know it was a player".

It seems like in later interviews, he started being less and less blunt about that possibility happening, and more and more blunt about it not being a co-op game. I think that's just because him talking about the very small chance of meeting another player earlier on got too many people's expectations out of control. Even now we see people who expect to be able to easily meet up with friends. Sean probably just wanted to minimize people with that expectation as much as possible, because it was way more prevalent in the earlier days of NMS pre-release stuff.

Basically my point is, back then he'd say "it's a massive galaxy and it's extremely unlikely to see anyone", and many people would hear that and and disregard his disclaimer since they don't quite get the scale of the game. So Sean stopped entertaining that possibility almost entirely to combat that. I'm personally pretty sure nothing much has changed, and you'll still be able to see people on the off chance you do come across them. Also, you can see friends on the galactic map. If you travel to the same star system, it's just a matter of going to its space station and meeting there I'd imagine. Sean did say in one early interview that two friends coordinating could probably meet up.

v1lla21

From what we know, the game does not have traditional multiplayer. There's no partying up with friends and random, no lobbies, no social aspect to the game. The only thing we know is that in the rare opportunity you run into another player, you won't even know it's anothe player.

Odrion

Banned
I mean it would be so cool if there was a massive multiplayer aspect. Create little space societies.

But, y'know. 11 people made it. Expectations.

v1lla21

I mean it would be so cool if there was a massive multiplayer aspect. Create little space societies.

But, y'know. 11 people made it. Expectations.
Sean did say in an interview that a more robust multiplayer was going to come at a later date along with land vehicles.

Freeman76

My fear for this game is that after visiting and seeing 25 or so planets that it will get boring due to only minute differences between each planet, ie: Slightly different color palate, slightly different terrain, similar creatures with only slight differences (expect to see 100 different versions of a brontosaurus but it's still a brontosaurus), etc. I don't think it's possible to create a game with a universe so big and have every planet truly different enough to continually be interesting to explore.

Amongst all the gushing and over excited hyperbole its nice to actually see a realistic expectation. I think there will be a lot of dissapointed players who expect miracles. Some of the posts in this thread are expecting way too much.

Hello Games should have designed a humanoid character that's AI is programmed to apprehensively follow a player around on a planet's surface, occasionally making erratic movements like circling or ducking as if it's another player trying to communicate with you.

The YouTube videos would be fucking amazing.

That's what I always think about lol. Only with ships. Just have the occasional erratic/funky ship flying around.

Roscoe182

Amongst all the gushing and over excited hyperbole its nice to actually see a realistic expectation. I think there will be a lot of dissapointed players who expect miracles. Some of the posts in this thread are expecting way too much.

on here no, i do think a lot of casual gamers who pick this up tho will be ithink its a game minecraft players will pick up and not be happy.

on another note tho i wonder how long it will take for sites and apps to pop up to map the universe.
or even it they would be able to tho i assume so.

So, does this game have multiplayer or what?

Imagine there was a game with 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Witcher 3-sized maps in it laid out on a massive grid. Each player starts on one of the Witcher 3 maps and every 30 minutes to an hour of collecting resources on your Witcher 3-sized map you can move across one map or possibly 3, maybe 10?

You have no way of knowing where anyone else playing on the 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 maps specifically is, except your PSN friends who you can locate to an area about the size of 6-7 Witcher 3-sized maps on the grid of 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 maps ... Which you can move across, in early game progress, at about 6-7 maps every hour.

Maybe after playing for tens of hours you jump across 100 or 500 maps.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have to mirror what many said, 10mins of that video sold me more on the game than any trailer or interview so far.

Imagine there was a game with 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Witcher 3-sized maps in it laid out on a massive grid. Each player starts on one of the Witcher 3 maps and every 30 minutes to an hour of collecting resources on your Witcher 3-sized map you can move across one map or possibly 3, maybe 10?

You have no way of knowing where anyone else playing on the 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 maps specifically is, except your PSN friends who you can locate to an area about the size of 6-7 Witcher 3-sized maps on the grid of 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 maps ... Which you can move across, in early game progress, at about 6-7 maps every hour.

Maybe after playing for tens of hours you jump across 100 or 500 maps.

There are some pertinent issues with this relation. For the first bold - If you're in the same star system as your friend, it's just a matter of meeting at its space station. Also, there aren't 18 quintillion planets in the starting galaxy. There are 18 quintillion planets in the whole NMS universe, which is made up of many galaxies.

We can take into account the knowledge that it can take 40-100 hours (depending on how you play) to make it to the center for an idea of how long it might take to meet at a mid-point with a friend.

So maybe after about anywhere between 20-50 hours of focused dedication, you could meet a friend. Gud luck explorers tehehe

Regarding the "it will be easier to find people near the center" theory:
1) people are going to be flying towards the center from 360 degrees around, so they'd have to move laterally to even have a chance of intersecting with someone else

2) the basic math. let's say there's 10 galaxies, with 1.8 quintillion planets in each. let's say 1% are "near the center". 1% of 1.8 quintillion = 18 quadrillion planets. that's 18,000,000,000,000,000 planets that are near the center. good luck finding someone bruh. If 10 million players all converged in this area, there would still be 1.8 billion planets per player. y'all, the size of NMS ain't no joke.

Yeah, you're probably right. I still had it in my head that those were seconds and not minutes. So it does look like planets have a 12 hour day, which is find by me. Unless it's different on other planets.

Since we know Sean based day/night cycles on rotation rate, if my math isn't way off that first planet he was on would have to be rotating about 15 degrees/minute to go from sunrise to sunset in 12 of our minutes. Probably a noticeable rotation rate from space. We haven't seen anything like that before, and in that long IGN video I didn't notice any change in light. So there's gotta be differences in the day/night cycles. I just really hope this one was an oddity and that most of them are more on the scale of hours (or days!) rather than minutes.

It's from the same guy as the videos. He said he will be posting a screenshot everyday.

I am out if that guy is posting more stuff every day. And how the hell did he land on a planet with floating islands? I thought that stuff was only towards the center?

^You're forgetting that not all 18 quintillion planets make up the starting galaxy.

Anyway, another thing to consider is that most people might not even make it to the center anyway, so there will be less people to run into.

Roscoe182

he paid $1300 for his copy .. man wtf i want this game badly but holy shit $1300.

and as its 1 copy out in the wild i wouldn't be shocked if they manage to track where it came from.

Eh I wish he showed more of space. I'm mostly interested in flying around. I'll probably have to wait untill its out and streamers are messing around before deciding to get this.

Do we know how much variety there is in actual space? Just stray ships and trading posts? It would be cool if you could land on asteroids, or if there were nebulae, or maybe even black holes. Planetary rings to fly around in would be sweet as well. If space is just a vessel to travel to other planets and fight ships, that would be kind of lame.

Do we know how much variety there is in actual space? Just stray ships and trading posts? It would be cool if you could land on asteroids, or if there were nebulae, or maybe even black holes. If space is just a vessel to travel to other planets and fight ships, that would be kind of lame.

Yes, you can land on asteroids. And mine them. Yes there are black holes. Personally I think ship battles are not "lame" but to each their own. Some people will avoid battles and just trade goods at space stations.

Okay I'm out for reals. I have a feeling these screenshots and whatnot are going to get too spoilery for my taste.

Until the 9th...
553011.png

Eh I wish he showed more of space. I'm mostly interested in flying around. I'll probably have to wait untill its out and streamers are messing around before deciding to get this.

Do we know how much variety there is in actual space? Just stray ships and trading posts? It would be cool if you could land on asteroids, or if there were nebulae, or maybe even black holes. If space is just a vessel to travel to other planets and fight ships, that would be kind of lame.

Black holes ✓
Trade Post ✓
Land on astroids - kinda. It was said you could before. No idea if that has changed.
Not just stray ship but fleets of ships. And the chance of flying into the middle of a battle.

Roscoe182

Do we know how much variety there is in actual space? Just stray ships and trading posts? It would be cool if you could land on asteroids, or if there were nebulae, or maybe even black holes. Planetary rings to fly around in would be sweet as well. If space is just a vessel to travel to other planets and fight ships, that would be kind of lame.

I do believe Sean said you could land on asteroids , and some planets will have rings they just haven't shown it. as for the rest i really hope it has all that aswell.

they said tho that you wont find a dark area of space , there will always be something there so i would hope that includes nebulas among other stuff.

yeah i haven't said anything that disagrees with that tho. you have literally just repeated what i said in greater detail.

Meaning that for all practical, realistic purposes, the answer is fucking NO.

If what I'm saying is just what you've been saying but in greater detail, you need to edit all your posts to correct all the FUD and misinformation you've been spreading.

Houndi101

I'm pretty bummed by that view distance, so far it has seemed to be the same fog wall on every planet we have seen?
How could you even use fast moving land vechiles when you can't see 10 meters in front of you...

Roscoe182

If what I'm saying is just what you've been saying but in greater detail, you need to edit all your posts to correct all the FUD and misinformation you've been spreading.

what misinformation. what exactly have i said thats 100% not true?

im curious because this is getting fucking stupid like really pathetic , the glass is half full ,,, no the glass is half empty.

the fact that i have repeatedly said you can meet up but the chances are so so small. is that misinformation or is that absolutely true.

The chances that you would ever, in 100 lifetimes, meet up with your friend are so small, so (almost) infinitely minute, that saying co-op is possible is flat out misinformation because it's never going to happen. Ever. And I'll bet a "just call me jackass" forum tag on that. But I'm done with this because you're going to continue trying to talk semantics rather than the reality of what this game is and is not. And it most certainly is not co-op.

Roscoe182

I'm pretty bummed by that view distance, so far it has seemed to be the same fog wall on every planet we have seen?
How could you even use fast moving land vechiles when you can't see 10 meters in front of you...

there is a good vid of this stuff (il try find it) but he goes into how it renders and how fast it can render.

but tbh the only time i saw a fog wall and thought it was far too closed in around you was the leaked footage, never noticed it much if at all in the others.

Top Bottom