• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky subreddit shut down, community erupts,

Kouriozan

I guess people found a way to be entertained about this game, in the end.
Not the best decision that mod could have come with.

I guess people found a way to be entertained about this game, in the end.
Not the best decision they could have come with.
To be honest, I had more fun reading people's experience and reading the sub-reddit than actually playing the game. Hell, neogaf threads about NMS were actually fun to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
giphy.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This game is a car crash that never ends. Not even a competition for gaming's biggest 2016 disaster. Congratulations, Hello Games, you're the best at something.

How is Reddit fuckery anything to do with Hello?

This is just the internet gaming community in all its dismal glory.

akileese

It's back and here is the top upvoted post in hot:

"Old Mods Should Not Be Reinstated. There is a conflict of interest going on. We need to be sure they don't work for the Frauds at Hello Games."

lol. HG really struck oil with this game eh?

It managed to bring out a brand of crazy that you don't see often. It's entertaining if nothing else.

flkraven

Literally everything surrounding this game has gone tits up. You're telling me this subreddit drama is in no way influenced by how shitty everything else has gone regarding HG and NMS?

Gator86

Not directly HG, but there's nothing that touches NMS that doesn't turn into a blazing dumpster fire. It's a magnet for endless disaster.

Literally everything surrounding this game has gone tits up. You're telling me this subreddit drama is in no way influenced by how shitty everything else has gone regarding HG and NMS?

i think he meant a few dozen people complaining on an internet message board probably will have little impact on a gaming studio that in reality has a huge hit on their hands

Cels

i quickly browsed the subreddit and apparently the pc collector's editions haven't even shipped out yet. what a mess.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Subeddit drama isn't a phenomenon exclusive to NMS.

Honestly, people lose their shit over the stupidest and most trivial stuff online all the time, at least on the version of the internet I'm familiar with :D

flkraven

Honestly, people lose their shit over the stupidest and most trivial stuff online all the time, at least on the version of the internet I'm familiar with :D

Maybe, but this is the first I've heard of a high profile game's subreddit being deleted within the first 2 months of release. Layer that on top of the complete shit storm that is NMS and the zero communication from Sean et al and it doesn't seem like just your run-of-the-mill game drama.

Look like the mod got purged instead. r0ugew0lf suddenly wiped himself off the internet. Not sure why the fuck he thought it was a good idea to just shut down the page.

Struct09

I've been waiting all these years for a new "Square Enix shot themselves in the foot" type quote, and the day has finally come. Thank you internet.

akileese

Maybe, but this is the first I've heard of a high profile game's subreddit being deleted within the first 2 months of release. Layer that on top of the complete shit storm that is NMS and the zero communication from Sean et al and it doesn't seem like just your run-of-the-mill game drama.

Gaming? Maybe. This happened with Arsenal FC like a year and a half ago to a lesser extent. It's just mod wars. Some of them get drunk with power and starting shitting over their userbase, who in turn go and create a new sub. The new sub will garner a significant amount of traffic, but not enough to overtake so it eventually dies out. Those that felt there is no going back stay there with their own experience while everyone else moves on. This happens pretty much once a week on reddit.

I dunno, imo a lot of this "drama" could have been avoid if scumbag Murray had spoken up to the community by now and had taken some responsibilty for his games flaws. Instead he has maintained ghost status while his games community has gone entirely to shit.

I am getting really sick of hearing about the negative reaction when the only fib seems to be about rarely coming across other players. Almost every other point is "You can't do this but they said you could!" - "You can do that, look here" - "That's not what I imagined it would be!"

When Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced Kojima has a 15 minute video where he talks about a load of shit in the game as you watch gameplay which is unchanged from release and none of it made it in, shit happens.

The No Man's Sky subreddit was/is such a freaking crazy place.
I hope someone writes a thesis on the psychology of the discussion going on there before and after launch. It was the perfect storm of complete overhype, and then everything coming crashing down right around release.

MrBadger

Gaming? Maybe. This happened with Arsenal FC like a year and a half ago to a lesser extent. It's just mod wars. Some of them get drunk with power and starting shitting over their userbase, who in turn go and create a new sub. The new sub will garner a significant amount of traffic, but not enough to overtake so it eventually dies out. Those that felt there is no going back stay there with their own experience while everyone else moves on. This happens pretty much once a week on reddit.

Imo this is the kind of behaviour that could have been prevented if the nms dev team were more vocal with their community....most of the shit posting and mod frustrations appears to be directly related to the fact that players feel lied too/frustrated and want a response from the nms dev team (sean murray specifically), the mods are tired of dealing/hearing about these frustrations that they would likely no longer have to deal with / hear about had hello games responded to the critisims by now.

I am getting really sick of hearing about the negative reaction when the only fib seems to be about rarely coming across other players. Almost every other point is "You can't do this but they said you could!" - "You can do that, look here" - "That's not what I imagined it would be!"

When Metal Gear Solid 4 was announced Kojima has a 15 minute video where he talks about a load of shit in the game as you watch gameplay which is unchanged from release and none of it made it in, shit happens.
There were a couple more, but the amount of backlash is a bit absurd, considering what other devs have done in the past also. But yet here we are, page 2, and the "jokes" keep on coming. Was this thread created just so everyone could bash on NMS more?

You.

Yes, you. The one screaming, "the framerate stinks!" and "We waited 10 years for this!" and other slurs I dare not mention.

Tread lightly.

You are one. We are hundreds, thousands. Millions. You aren't just IN the minority; you ARE the minority.

I don't feel awkward or anxious playing Final Fantasy XV around others, and your words don't affect me. Many others, however, are coming out of their shells for the first time in their lives. This is the first time many are enjoying an entirely male party, and they ARE beautiful. Incredibly so. DON'T ruin this for them. We Final Fantasy fans may have our differences, but we will not hesitate to come to the aid of our fellow role-players, especially against someone who so virulently slurs that which has brought us all together.

Don't take this the wrong way. I don't hate you. I don't fear you.

I pity you.

I'm sorry that you feel this way towards us. I'm sorry that Final Fantasy XV is such a bane to your existence. And I'm sorry that you are missing out on such a wonderful experience. Mostly, though, I'm sorry that you feel the need to go around and publicly chastise and berate others. I'm sorry that, to ensure your own validity, you need to make others feel invalid. I'm sorry that your self worth is so infinitesimally miniscule that you have to make others feel less-than-human, at least in your own denatured mind, just to feel whole. I am truly sorry that day-in and day-out you have to put up with your worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life.

I ask you politely to cease your unnecessary cries for attention, and instead invite you to join our ranks. Uninstall Witcher 3, start up Final Fantasy XV, and breathe in the splendour and the amazement of Noctis' immaculately styled hair, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll see what you've been so hopelessly searching for this whole time.

. . . yeah, I like this one!

And so, a legend is born again.

Not directly HG, but there's nothing that touches NMS that doesn't turn into a blazing dumpster fire. It's a magnet for endless disaster.

The good ol' reverse Midas touch. :D

Jito

Banned

Is this for real? I can't tell who's being genuine about this game anymore.

I'll just say that rarely coming across players is an understatement seeing as there's actually no multiplayer in the game at all.

I feel this all just a byproduct of Hello Games and Sean going completely dark and ignoring the people who bought their game. This is what they've devolved into, very unsatisfied customers.

Top Bottom