• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more Arkham games coming says Kevin Conroy

NYR94

Asylum and city were already so good i dont know what they could have done to make a big improvement. Bigger open world and batmobile were not the answer. Asylum is one of the best "first in a franchise" games I've ever played. Sometimes you just perfect a formula so fast that you need to let the franchise rest for a while until you're really inspired by something new.

daftstar

Boss fights? Sure, but we're talking about sections that make up maybe 5% of the game overall.

Story? Not high praise at all, because its terrible. Great, you made the least crappy Arkham story, congratulations. The story is not the main focus in these Arkham games. I would say Knight is easily better and far better put together as a story. Origins just rips off older Batman stories, is full of holes, and has little tension by being an overly predictable prequel.

Agreed. Origins was a blatant cash-grab and it shows.

- They copy-pasted sections of Arkham City environment and made it horrible to navigate (long ass bridge, giant building that cuts off gliding).
- Timing for the combat animations was off and the electric gloves were broken
- Boss fights are just ripped segments from AC's fights (see http://imgur.com/a/qm0yR)
- Riddler stuff is a joke/afterthought
- Sterile, gray and unmemorable world design (seriously I can't remember a notable location from this game except maybe the hotel?)
- Bugs and overall lack of polish

I love the Arkham series and have a huge respect for Rocksteady for what they've done quality and progression wise but I can't say the same for WB Montreal and Origins, no way.

Neith

Banned
Please just fucking let it go. I just finished Asylum. I don't have time for yearly or biannual installments.

The next batman game should be a complete reboot in a different open world with amazing graphics. In like 5 years.

City is up next and I can't wait it should be great fun on PC.

Origins got slandered way too harshly when it came out, but now people view it with rose-tinted glasses.

Origins got the story right and the boss battles. Everything else was subpar compared to the Rocksteady Arkham games including the world, combat, exploration, side quests, etc. With that said, I love all the Arkham games for different reasons.

nelo_inc

I still have to finish Origins and Arkham Knight, only played some hours of Arkham Knight.

From what i can tell so far, Asylum is the best, something was lost with the added space of the city.

I loved every single Batman game, yet AK is kinda my favorite. I played it super late after finishing Horizon this year, and I was blow away with the fun I was having, sure the game got alot of repeating side activities, yet for the most part I was enjoying my time. Also the story was top notch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No more from Conroy is OK, but another young-Batman game in the vein of Origins will be highly appreciated.

No more Arkham games doesn't mean they are done with Batman. They need a new approach to the characters.

I think they should avoid Beyond, and really any of the established universes. In fact I wouldn't mind a fresh take not beholden to the comics, shows, or movies. Now I love Beyond but i don't feel a dying need to play that in a game universe.

*flame shield up*

Origins > Arkham Knight

*ducks*

No flames from me. Knight is the worst game in the series.

Agreed. Origins was a blatant cash-grab and it shows.

Correct and it's still better than Knight.

Kazuhira

Please just fucking let it go. I just finished Asylum. I don't have time for yearly or biannual installments.

The next batman game should be a complete reboot in a different open world with amazing graphics. In like 5 years.

City is up next and I can't wait it should be great fun on PC.

But..that's exactly what he is saying,no more Arkham games.

hotcyder

I enjoyed all of them

If I had to rank them though:

1. Asylum
2. Origins
3. City
4. Knight
5. Blackgate
6. VR (too short for my taste. Decent launch title for PSVR though)

BUT...If the folks at Rocksteady aren't working on an Arkham game......what are they working on?

Pretty much my rank - haven't played VR yet tho

I really dont get GAFs hate of AK. Yeah, the story isnt the best and the Batmobile is a bit overused, but it looks fantastic, the combat is the deepest its ever been, the controls are great, and the world is leagues above what they've done before (I could understand preferring Asylum over Knight though for its focus). Its still miles better than any other superhero game out there as well.

The Arkham series has been consistently great. I love City and Asylum, and Knight and Origins are very good games too. While I don't think word from Conroy is the truth when it comes to the fate of these games, I'd be perfectly fine with it being done completely.

Looking forward to what Rocksteady puts out next!

Dysun

Origins is the direction the series needs to go in, if its to continue so it makes sense to hear this from Conroy.

Bergerac

I'd be happy with a follow up to Origins. I preferred the gritiier take and the ensemble of rogues. It also had a good story and the two new lead VAs did a good job. I also loved that Bane wasn't an imbecile. If they only improved the Riddler parts to be more City (i.e. varied), and made the actual landscape more interesting it would have been a more complete package.

So long as it's not anything post-Bruce Wayne as Batman. I'm not a fan of anyone else as Batman or his underlings. It's a much more compelling story when it's just Bruce Wayne perpetutally 'running out of time' to fix shit forever.

Good.

I've enjoyed the Arkham series in many aspects. The gameplay is very good, it dives deep into the Batman lore, the Joker was mostly done well and it's a straight up good Batman game series.

However, it also has mostly bad or mediocre stories, with Knight being the most obvious example. Origins is an exception, but that's 1 out of 4. Batman was an unlikeable asshole for the most part and Conroy phoning it in didn't help. Ugly art style too (again, Origins being an exception).

WB Montreal being able to break free from that kinda crappy universe is a blessing. Let them do their own thing without having to make up for Rocksteady's shortcomings (they had to explain why Bane is such a dumb dumb). It also lets them drastically change up the art style too as they won't need to adhere to the roid freak character design that was established with Asylum. No more strangely proportioned Batman, yay!

Of course, it could be that they're still continuing the series and Conroy isn't involved, which would be... ugh. Let that universe go. "Batman" is the only branding you need. Bring on the (fully playable) Batfamily that actually is integral to the story and not just window dressing.
I wouldn't hire Conroy even if there was another one, dude also has a habit of phoning his Batman performance in at this point. the dude in Origins sounded better than Conroy in any of the Arkham games tbh.

like yeah the cartoon was great and also the other dc series' with his batman was nice as well but that was so long ago.
Dude sounds so much better in Injustice 2. Night and day difference. He's still got it... just needs good direction.

Top Bottom