• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes Travis Strikes Again: Robin is not reprising the voice of Travis

Hero

It's legit, and essentially a lot of video games (affected by the strike primarily) over the next 2 years will not have union voice actors.

It's legit but this case has nothing to do with it. Only a handful of companies are being struck and none of them are involved with this game.

Sorry I meant if what the voice actors going to strike over was legitimate or not. I just remember Nolan North and Troy Baker (?) saying everything was fine but they're like the top two most used in the industry and assume they get paid megabucks compared to everyone else.

Sorry I meant if what the voice actors going to strike over was legitimate or not. I just remember Nolan North and Troy Baker (?) saying everything was fine but they're like the top two most used in the industry and assume they get paid megabucks compared to everyone else.

They said that before the first round of negotiations fell through, which initiated the actual strike.

Ooh. Yeah, it's a good question. Most VAs seem pretty passionate about it, but Nolan was a bit iffier on it. You're right he does have a certain amount of privilege.

IMO I think what they're striking for is legit, I just don't feel sure the struck companies will cave to the extent they want.

Instro

Tbh i only watched the trailer once and it was muted then you name called Quinton Flynn and i looked it up on his twitter and...

2017-09-0220_48_31-twe4q61.png

Holy shit, Raiden is Travis new VA!?

I'll take it.

"You gotta be shitting me!"

RAD nailed almost every line for Travis. I think he is for Travis what Hayter was for Snake.

Tbf the new guy isn't bad at all - though the website trailer makes the differences a little more apparent.

But still, I hope Suda reconsiders - or if whatever issue has caused the change to be rectified.

Yeah, he really made Travis.

Nachos

Travis ain't Flynn, y'all.

What's weird is we do have credits for the Voice Production company and casting/directing but no actual names for the voice talents themselves. That kinda strikes me as suspect. In-house VAs for the time being?
That's how +90% of localizations do it. Granted, Grasshopper tends to go all in on their voice casts (Let It Die had no business having a cast that star-studded), but this could be different.

And no studio has in-house actors, really – as in, people who only do voice acting while working exclusively with the studio. If anything, it's always just recording staff doubling up on duties, though some might pursue voice acting outside the studio.

I just wish Rocket Sound's website was better, because I can't find who their staff are. The studio also did Let It Die, and the performance director voiced in Breath of the Wild, but that doesn't say much. I don't even know how often the director does game acting, since most search results bring up his services as an instructor, and since BotW was such a special case of Nintendo casting a huge net too find the right actors.

Also before that point of conversation gets too out of control this isn't strike-related. Rocketsound and Grasshopper aren't among the struck companies. If they're going non-union it's for budget reasons. Killer is Dead was non-union too.
Do you know if that was a different situation, though? KiD was recorded in Japanese first, and then got a dub when Xseed localized it. I don't know who would then be responsible for organizing the recording.

Vashu

I'm not sure which company Devolver Digital uses, but it seems this has nothing to do with the strike. If it is Quinton Flynn, then that means they are working under contract with SAG-AFTRA, since Flynn is also a SAG-AFTRA actor (or at least affiliated) and stands with his fellow voice actors.

So this is probably a decision of the person responsible for the casting.

Suda might be open for the change though, we'll see.

However, if it's not Flynn and it turns out to be non-union actor I might have to forgo this title, as much as it pains me. :(

I need to rewatch the trailer but I'm pretty sure it's not Quinton Flynn.

Travis ain't Flynn, y'all.

That's how +90% of localizations do it. Granted, Grasshopper tends to go all in on their voice casts (Let It Die had no business having a cast that star-studded), but this could be different.

And no studio has in-house actors, really – as in, people who only do voice acting while working exclusively with the studio. If anything, it's always just recording staff doubling up on duties, though some might pursue voice acting outside the studio.

I just wish Rocket Sound's website was better, because I can't find who their staff are. The studio also did Let It Die, and the performance director voiced in Breath of the Wild, but that doesn't say much. I don't even know how often the director does game acting, since most search results bring up his services as an instructor, and since BotW was such a special case of Nintendo casting a huge net too find the right actors.

Do you know if that was a different situation, though? KiD was recorded in Japanese first, and then got a dub when Xseed localized it. I don't know who would then be responsible for organizing the recording.

I forgot Xseed did the localization actually. I was just going by "this is another low-budget Suda game". Point being it's not unusual for smaller Japanese games or those on tight budgets to go non-union. This game is more-or-less an indie so it has been to deal with that more than NMH 1 and 2.

cj_iwakura

Come on now, whoever did Travis' voice in the trailer is nailing the character down pretty hard. I was sure it was Robin until people on here said it wasn't.

Not buying the game because of this is real petty. It comes across as if you never really were interested in the game anyway.

I'm probably the biggest fan of Suda here. It's that big a deal to me.

NotLiquid

Travis is my favorite character in any video game ever and part of that reason is his voice. Having said that I'm not going to let a VA change stop me from getting a game I've been wanting to see happening for years, especially when the replacement seems to be pulling their own weight and when the game is one with Suda having direct hands on in a decade. But I don't blame people for being upset about the change and that includes me. I'll have to come to peace with this in service of the game, and hopefully the material will be able to elevate the new voice.

If Robin Atkins Downes doesn't come back for the role and Quinton Flynn isn't the replacement either, then I feel really bad for the new VA. To me the voice of Venom Travis sounded a lot like Downes. So much that I didn't think about a new actor. I think that this new guy will do a great job but many will not like him anyway cause he's not Downes. Must be rough for the guy.

This is terrible but I honestly thought it was him in the trailer for Travis Strikes Again.

Man, I'm still buying the game, because it is NMH and Suda goodness.

It is beyond disappointing to hear that it isn't him, and I honestly hope that maybe by some chance before the game wraps development and production they can maybe get him back in the studio to redub the lines.

If it doesn't happen that way though I think I will be okay because the new Travis is sounding pretty dang good.

It still makes me really sad that he isn't voicing it because Robin Atkin Downes is an amazing Actor and voice actor.

Hilarion

I really doubt that Quinton Flynn is Travis, unless he's Henry AND Travis. Henry and Sylvia are basically mandatory characters for NMH.

Buckle

They didn't even call him? What the fuck.
Shit. What is it with game directors snubbing classic voice actors lately?

David Hayder, Stephen Russell, Robin Atkin Downes..

It sucks becuase its like they don't think this is the sort of thing that matters to fans when people actually grow really attached to them and identify them as a big part of the character.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The actor in the trailer does NOT sound like athe way Robin portrayed Travis. I'm usually not nitpicky, but c'mon guys. That's a real stretch.

Very disappointing news if this ends up staying true to launch. Robin's performance is central to the character, and unless this is a full reboot - which it doesn't seem to be - it's a major miss not to have him involved.

Btw, I'm withholding final judgement for an official source. Often we'll hire actors just for trailers to save money or because contracts aren't in place yet. RADs comments mean he wasn't contacted, but I'm unclear if it's for trailer or final VO/ the game is still a ways off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I forget, is the voice actor strike legit or not? It's been going on so damn long I forget what it's all over.

It's legit, and essentially a lot of video games (affected by the strike primarily) over the next 2 years will not have union voice actors.

It's legit but this case has nothing to do with it. Only a handful of companies are being struck and none of them are involved with this game.

There is an effect on other companies however since they're striking the central outsourcing studios many of the non-striked studios use, along with a general fear that the strike could be expanded at any moment to impact them as well.

Just because a publisher in particular is not being struck does not mean it's not impacting them or their decision making.

This strike is never gonna get fixed is it?
Despite by far being the longest strike ever in SAG-AFTRA's history, at last check, they had not even begun negotiations on how to end it.

There is an effect on other companies however since they're striking the central outsourcing studios many of the non-striked studios use, along with a general fear that the strike could be expanded at any moment to impact them as well.

Just because a publisher in particular is not being struck does not mean it's not impacting them or their decision making.

True. Soundelux (the company behind 1 and 2) are being struck which may be part of why they went to Rocketsound. However what I was getting at is the fact that this is a budget game meant they probably made the decision to go non-union more based on that, which would have ruled out bringing Robin back to begin with.

Even if the strike is a factor, however indirect, it's probably not the sole reason they replaced him. Someone like Robin Atkin Downes would never take a non-union gig.

jholmes

So this is a new No More Heroes except it's on a totally different platform and unrelated in plot and the gameplay is entirely different and the main character doesn't have the same voice. Uhh, no thanks.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So this is a new No More Heroes except it's on a totally different platform and unrelated in plot and the gameplay is entirely different and the main character doesn't have the same voice. Uhh, no thanks.

Totally different platform? As in, a Nintendo platform? Like every other game in the series?

Unrelated in plot? When we don't know what the overall plot is?

Gameplay? That's been said to be exactly the fucking same?

The lady doth protest too much.

I won't single out the VA thing because I can actually understand that sentiment, even though I feel it's a bit silly, as much as I'll miss the original VA :/

hughesta

Banned
the gameplay is the same and how is it supposed to be on the same platform?? you'd be cool if this game cane out on the Wii?

Did you expect them to release it for the Wii? Plus they already confirmed it's a 3D action game.

LordKano

It would have a hard time being on the same platform, aka the Wii. Also, the plot is related to the first game, as it's a direct sequel, the gameplay isn't entirely different (we know absolutely nothing about the gameplay) and the main character isn't confirmed to have a different voice. Nice try though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It would have a hard time being on the same platform, aka the Wii. Also, the plot is related to the first game, as it's a direct sequel, the gameplay isn't entirely different (we know absolutely nothing about the gameplay) and the main character isn't confirmed to have a different voice. Nice try though.

The original voice actor actually confirmed he's not involved.

Did you expect them to release it for the Wii? Plus they already confirmed it's a 3D action game.

Something tells me "Original Platform" means Sony system. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
In the trailer. Considering how they're still figuring out the indie involvment, the dubbing process for the final game won't start until a long, long time.

Okay, fine, that's a good point. It was the same for the initial NMH trailer too like someone pointed out.

For some reason, I thought that voice was better than Robin's when the new trailer had his voice in it :lol. I was such a stupid kid.

I mean it's nice of you to join us finally, but you actually have to read things and know what the new No More Heroes game is.

Marcel

I liked Suda before I even knew who Robin Atkin Downes was so sorry pal, I'll be buying the game regardless.

Yukinari

His most iconic roles are easily as Medic and Travis for me personally so its a shame he rarely does the voice for either of them these days.

I remember how long it took to just get new halloween lines for Medic.

They should get the guy who voiced Revali from Breath Of The Wild. Dude sounded like Travis in that.

That wasn't Robin Atkin Downes?
And neither is the one voicing Travis in the trailer?

Is... is there is some secret factory making Robin clones or something?

jholmes

I mean it's nice of you to join us finally, but you actually have to read things and know what the new No More Heroes game is.

"Join us finally"? What the hell does this even mean?

Some people here are a lost cause. They've clearly making no effort to know what they're talking about

I'm not interested in an indie game collab compilation clearly coming past the series' prime.

I suppose if I was tripping over myself trying to pretend I cared about this simply because of the cash-in title and the director's (fading) pedigree you'd think I'm not a "lost cause." There's a difference between knowing what one's talking about and being in the bag for every piece of software headed to the Switch.

Something tells me "Original Platform" means Sony system. :lol

Something tells me you're grasping at straws.

"Join us finally"? What the hell does this even mean?
I mean it's nice to see you're alive and well and all and willing to join the conversation your own way, but in all seriousness you need to learn how to do things. Like read information on the game by the company, or from the recent PAX streams, or really reading up on things at all.

LordKano

There's a difference between knowing what one's talking about and being in the bag for every piece of software headed to the Switch.

Absolutely everything you said in your last post was nonsense, it's easy to assume you know nothing about what you're talking about.

jholmes

I mean it's nice to see you're alive and well and all and willing to join the conversation your own way, but in all seriousness you need to learn how to do things. Like read information on the game by the company, or from the recent PAX streams, or really reading up on things at all.

Sorry, is this about the part where I said it's a collab indie project, where I said it doesn't have the original lead actor, or where I said the format is different? Or is it the part where I said this wasn't on the Wii? I hope you're not arguing with that last bit.

Absolutely everything you said in your last post was nonsense, it's easy to assume you know nothing about what you're talking about.

There's a fucking chasm between "opinion I don't like" and "nonsense" but you call it what you will.

Top Bottom