• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No multiplayer beta for Titanfall 2 on PC

Shifty

Meh.

Given that the first one died after roughly a week, you'd think that they'd want to maximize the hype earned by the E3 trailer.

Oh, and if you don't want data miners to extract info about your SP campaign, don't let that shit into the multiplayer-only beta build. You have a problem if you lack that degree of control over your asset pipeline.

Rizific

Varied hardware? When was that ever a valid excuse? Isn't that also the point of a beta? And data mining? These are some bunk ass excuses. Beta from tf1 sold me on the game. This smells funny to me.

BokehKing

Banned
that's kind of... bad? those reasons why are even worse. those are the exact reasons why you have a beta, lol
Sure they can release it, but they can't even figure out who shouldn't even bother trying.

Makes a lot of sense to me
I agree with the data mining, keep those things off PC as long as possible, I don't want things spoiled.

yuraya

I don't think this is true. There will be plenty of audience for TF2 on PC.

The first didn't last long despite being one of the most hyped/marketed shooters of this gen.

Releasing Titanfall 2 a week after BF1 where both are exclusive to Origin on PC is as dumb of a move as any for EA. BF1 has over 40 million views in its trailer. Its going to devour Titanfall 2.

Nibel

Shouldn't there be a beta BECAUSE of the hardware variety
ioqig3f2quw9.png

ps3ud0

Damn thats one set of stupid excuses - they knew when they wanted to do the beta, get your PC code in shape for that milestone as no doubt it will be the platform that benefits most from such betas. Those issues are not new undiscovered problems...

Screams game to avoid - something like this MP beta is what some would have used to jump the Origin hurdle to buy the final game, now BF1 becomes the de facto FPS from EA on PC

ps3ud0 8)

Deadbeat

Banned
It's on Origin...
People generally hate Origin on PC.
Sure didn't stop people from buying bf3 and 4. Or any other worthwhile game from ea.

Titanfall failed cause it had a clunky lobby system on a platform that has higher standards from competing products. If you can't compete, make all the excuses you want and watch other games get the sales. Bf1 will eat their lunch on pc and a good chunk of it on other platforms as well.

oh well. small price to pay for what will probably end up being the best version of the game anyway

The best controlling version maybe. It's not the best when everyone here knows the game will be barren within a month just like Titanfall. Online games need a thriving community.

KainXVIII

Ok, maybe i'll play inevitable trial version of Titanfall 2 for about a half hour and forget it like the rest of EA games, not a big deal for me.

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate here and say that I not only completely understand, I actually support it. If they haven't worked on PC optimization yet, the last thing they want is everyone slamming the game and damning it based on unpolished code (something you know will happen regardless on the Console beta). That said, now everyone is crying foul and furious that they don't get a Beta trial.

Respawn's choice was to either show off horrific, unpolished code that according to them wouldn't function on a good percentage of rigs or to focus on the two functional versions of the game while they toil away on the PC version for launch. Also, keep in mind, the first Titanfall ran well and both games run on Source Engine. The port will be fine. Hopefully they just smarten up this time and feature a server browser and mod support.

Oh, and don't forget that you'll be able to play the game a week early on Origin Access too. We'll have plenty of time to see how the port turns out.

Doesn't bode well for the PC version either, stay away until launch impressions.

Isn't it still a Source title? It's perhaps risky to assume, but given the performance of the first game (even in beta) I'm fairly confident that the PC version will be totally fine.

That said, probably just going to buy on my Xbox One to play with friends.

Also, because the single player story has some wonderful secrets that we really want to preserve for launch, we also have to worry about leaks. Our wonderfully curious PC players have proven in the past that they will dig out anything they can, and there's a risk that they could spoil some of our single player.

They didn't have a Garden Warfare 2 PC Beta for the same reason too.

I know one of the reasons for not wanting to run a Beta is potential leaks from people looking at the files, but how much effort would it be for them to remove the files they don't want people to see? It must be a lot of effort.

The hardware variety reason isn't really that good of a reason, you usually run these Beta tests so people can test the game on a variety of hardware.

Oh well, I suppose they'll do a lot of internal testing themselves. I don't recall any EA developed/published games launching in a poor state on PC recently other than things like server issues etc.

FyreWulff

They didn't have a Garden Warfare 2 PC Beta for the same reason too.

I know one of the reasons for not wanting to run a Beta is potential leaks from people looking at the files, but how much effort would it be for them to remove the files they don't want people to see? It must be a lot of effort.

The hardware variety reason isn't really that good of a reason, you usually run these Beta tests so people can test the game on a variety of hardware.

Oh well, I suppose they'll do a lot of internal testing themselves. I don't recall EA launching any of their games recently in a poor state on PC other than server issues etc.

It is a ton of effort. It also makes troubleshooting harder because the harder you make something to dig into, the harder it is to debug the release build.

Off the top of my head, Bungie is one of the few developers that wrote a tool to get rid of unused stuff, and that was just for the final release of Halo 3, they didn't even use it on their beta.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Meh.

Given that the first one died after roughly a week, you'd think that they'd want to maximize the hype earned by the E3 trailer.

Oh, and if you don't want data miners to extract info about your SP campaign, don't let that shit into the multiplayer-only beta build. You have a problem if you lack that degree of control over your asset pipeline.

I put in over 60 hours into the first game on origin. Playing in US primetime hours. People really exaggerated the population issues.

Bolivar687

Banned
Why? Never had any problems with it and have a fair size collection on Origin.

Console gamers who think all their games are supposed to always be on one platform.

They don't get that PC is an open ecosystem and popular multiplayer games like Battlefield will almost always self publish with their own proprietary clients.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, no multiplayer beta because of the potential for single player spoilers/leaks.

Makes so much sense!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Console gamers who think all their games are supposed to always be on one platform.

They don't get that PC is an open ecosystem and popular multiplayer games like Battlefield will almost always self publish with their own proprietary clients.

The comment you were replying to was in regards to PC gamers supposedly hating Origin.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Remove all single player shit for the beta. The other one isn't a con, it's a pro. Being able to test the game on a broad variety of machines would only benefit the actual launch.

It's a shitty excuse, it didn't stop Battlefield or Battlefront, granted the latter had no singleplayer content to speak of :lol.

zonezeus

The beta sold me on the first one but I'm not buying anything EA without testing it by myself for some substantial period of time, so with a heavy heart I'll be probably skipping this one (not that they care) Also not having a PC beta this time around, with all the awful PC ports floating around lately, makes them look kinda shady.

Didn't a huge data mine happen with TF1? And it leaked right here on GAF? Guess that burned them.

It did happen, but then again it didn't reveal anything people wouldn't see or hear about in the first day or two after the launch, certainly nothing that would spoil any fun. If anything the leak showed how little content there actually was in the game, so maybe that's what they're trying to hide this time around. As I said - shady.

The best controlling version maybe. It's not the best when everyone here knows the game will be barren within a month just like Titanfall. Online games need a thriving community.
i meant the best technical version. but if the game does well in the beginning, i'm sure the community will be huger for it too

and...crossplay will help. if that's a thing.

Overreaction much lol
Not really? This game is going to die just like the first. If you don't end up supporting a playerbase, why would they buy your game? Add on that this:

Is a console shooter
Lacks PC features like a browser and server tools
Is Origin exclusive
And won't have cross-platform play

And you got yourself a DOA game. Battlefield has enough PC features to keep it alive. See Star Wars for another dead EA shooter that didn't offer enough PC tools that older, cheaper, better games did.

CryptiK

LMAO. "A lot of hardware variety". What the fuck are you going to do on release then? Probably leave it to die. Shouldn't be surprised they are a pretty shitty and washed up dev.

Top Bottom