• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No multiplayer beta for Titanfall 2 on PC

Mupod

What. They had a beta on PC for the last one though. That beta sold me on the sequel, at least. Here's hoping this isn't a sign that we're in for a shitty port.

What. They had a beta on PC for the last one though. That beta sold me on the sequel, at least. Here's hoping this isn't a sign that we're in for a shitty port.

Former IW/Respawn's PC port while nothing spectacular, were always quite solid, plus it is running on Source, a very flexible engine, I wouldn't be worried about that.

a916

They don't need to... they'll gleam what information they have to from the console beta and with no risk.

Props to them for being honest. I'd rather they focus on wrapping the game up than trying to finish a build for the beta for a plethora of PC configs.

I remember data being pulled from the xbox one beta years back, people will find a way to get those files on a pc if they really want to data mine it.

Disappointing for sure. Though I feel like some posters in this thread are being hyperbolic (the one who called Respawn a "washed-up dev", fucking WHAT?) but regardless, if you do a public/closed beta on consoles and leave PC out, it will certainly sour opinions and leave people cynical about the PC version of the full game (and EA is already making things hard for Respawn considering their premier shooter [BF1] launches on all platforms a week earlier).

Also, regarding data-mining - couldn't they possibly just remove any such files from the beta if they're not going to be seen/used by players? Or hell, if they need to exist in the game, just dummy the actual data/text.

Bsigg12

I remember data being pulled from the xbox one beta years back, people will find a way to get those files on a pc if they really want to data mine it.

They data mined the PC version.

Disappointing for sure. Though I feel like some posters in this thread are being hyperbolic (the one who called Respawn a "washed-up dev", fucking WHAT?) but regardless, if you do a public/closed beta on consoles and leave PC out, it will certainly sour opinions and leave people cynical about the PC version of the full game.

Also, regarding data-mining - couldn't they possibly just remove any such files from the beta if they're not going to be seen/used by players? Or hell, if they need to exist in the game, just dummy the actual data/text.

For a test that is likely only going to run for a few days, that's a lot of work.

Rayme

Here's hoping this isn't a sign that we're in for a shitty port.
You're not; largely because PC-only issues are a huge part of what many of us are working on now. Wrangling configurations and a hundred seemingly-random hardware issues and smoothing everything out (it's the washed-up-dev way!). We have a ton of new technical systems (rendering & audio & networking & UI & input especially), and just spitting a build out and crossing fingers because it runs well on our own workstations wouldn't earn us many friends.

Speaking personally; I wouldn't want a small army of PC players that think this is a buggy or slow game after they got an unfinished taste of it, filled with things we know about and have fixed or created or are in the middle of fixing. If this tech test was closer to launch it'd probably be a different story, but it would also be insane for us to wait that long (this is all to stress & break the back-end, remember).

Mifec

They are 100% right about the datamining, and yall need to take that into account.

As a consumer I don't give a fuck. I want to try the game before it's out like I did with the last one, if that's not possible I just won't buy it. The first one's beta convinced me to buy it.

You're not; largely because PC-only issues are a huge part of what many of us are working on now. Wrangling configurations and a hundred seemingly-random hardware issues and smoothing everything out (it's the washed-up-dev way!). We have a ton of new technical systems (rendering & audio & networking & UI & input especially), and just spitting a build out and crossing fingers because it runs well on our own workstations wouldn't earn us many friends.

Speaking personally; I wouldn't want a small army of PC players that think this is a buggy or slow game after they got an unfinished taste of it, filled with things we know about and have fixed or created or are in the middle of fixing. If this tech test was closer to launch it'd probably be a different story, but it would also be insane for us to wait that long (this is all to stress & break the back-end, remember).
Yet a lot of people who voiced concerns over the changes to core mechanics were told to wait for the tech test... Which isn't coming. It feels all kinds of awful.

Thank you for responding, but might I suggest at least one multiplayer PC test before release. It really would go a long way.

jelly

If the first Titanfall worked well I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt and you might get a free weekend or demo later.

LordRaptor

PC gamers just aren't used to beta tests or early access software like console owners to be able to differentiate between final code and work in progress I guess¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mikey Jr.

Pc players get really anal and upset over performance. Respawn probably don't want to deal with that headache until they are forced to.
They can just focus on the game for the beta.

At least we can "demo" it on launch day with Origin's refund policy, but still...

I hope the games good, and I hope to god movement wasn't gimped, but alas, we won't know until launch :\

Care about pc and it will care about you.

I'm buying it as I still love the original. Just hope that it can maintain some sort of decent community this time. But judging by EAs first moves, I doubt it.

Papacheeks

Banned
At least we can "demo" it on launch day with Origin's refund policy, but still...

I hope the games good, and I hope to god movement wasn't gimped, but alas, we won't know until launch :\

Boosting is gone in the ogre type titan, and others, but more health was given to all of them. Plus you can't take a titan out like you could rodeo wise. You jump on remove a battery then you can try to shoot it, but the battery can be given to your titan or a teammates for health.

I'm kind of confused why they are making these drastic changes. Seems almost like they are being reactionary to other shooters. Even pilot mobility is gimped as well. You feel more weighty.

I put like 800 hours on PC, and this along with no titan weapon load-out change like in Titanfall 1, really turns me off.

Spookie

Well that was a save an a half. I was looking to pre order this at the end of the month to save a bit of money. I'll definitely hold off till launch now and see how shaky things are.

Edit: Completely missed this reply-

While I appreciate the bravery required to enter the lions den to discuss this I've been burned that many times in the last year by ports, even from studios I think would have been able to put together a solid PC version, it still makes me hesitate to buy the game sight unseen. Regardless *crosses fingers*.

Uiki

They don't want to put the effort in the pc version and they wonder why it will fail. No matter, bf1 will provide the PC features people want and enjoy the sales from it.

If it's like bf3 and 4, battlefront or hardline... i don't really think so.

If they offer a proper server browser and ability to really host servers.... maybe.

Still, it's not a game that can do well on pc.

Tovarisc

If it's like bf3 and 4, battlefront or hardline... i don't really think so.

If they offer a proper server browser and ability to really host servers.... maybe.

Still, it's not a game that can do well on pc.

Because Titanfall 1 had these features, right?

"A lot of hardware variety"

Er shouldn't that be a reason to have a beta for PC lol?

The purpose of the tech test isn't to test the game works client side, it's to test that it works server side, specifically matchmaking. They've been very clear about that.

If there are client side issues on PC then it seems entirely reasonable for them to avoid pushing that code out the door and getting bad press over it. Unfortunately people just can't be reasonable about it anyway and so they're still getting bad press.

Deadbeat

Banned
PC gamers just aren't used to beta tests or early access software like console owners to be able to differentiate between final code and work in progress I guess¯_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah which is why bf3, bf4, battlefront all had alphas exclusive to pc. It sure shows the level that PC gamers operate at being unable to differentiate alphas from release.

dont want to reveal that's there's no server browser once again I guess

MaLDo

Is there SLI compatibility into one of those new renderer features?

Looking at these flickering glows without possible fix 2 years after Titanfall release is really terrible, you know.

Bolivar687

Banned
Unless you are a PC player, in which case plan on feeling betrayed.

I wouldn't necessarily say betrayed but it certainly does feel like they intentionally went out of their way to personally screw me over in the worst way imaginable.

Lol, welp. That nicely simplifies my October I suppose. Looking forward to Civ6 and BF1. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Better Together™

Legends are Made in October™

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Because Titanfall 1 had these features, right?

I can only hope but I think we know the answer :( These are the same folks who thought IW Net was a good idea for MW2 (it wasn't) on PC over the terrific PC version of COD4 which got it right.

As for the news I don't think their answers are unreasonable and certainly don't feel 'betrayed' or anything silly like that. But it's just weird to me that they ignore the things a lot of PC gamers consider important when even EAs own DICE get it right.

Top Bottom