• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

eaise

Neo Member
I'm still buying it at launch it's just a stupid decision is all

I'm not be necessaryily disagreeing with that statement. Just saying that everyone is blowing it way out of proportion (not you in particular just lots of posts I've read). It'll most certainly be on the console a few months after launch. And the amount of people it actually affects is slim because if they have Netflix they likely already have a good way to watch it on their TV.

Sorry you happen to fall into the group that it does affect. Hopefully it won't be long after launch that the app gets to the Switch.

If it's going to get Netflix eventually, then please, a Nintendo rep should come out and say it!

Until then, I'm worried. Please surprise me, Nintendo. Really, please.

Hexer06

Did we forget the Wii U launch? Where none of the software worked until the Spring? And the interface took 2 minutes to load?

Ditto for the 3DS?

Yeah, the decision not to include Netflix in their launch schedule seems to be a deliberate one, for better or worse.

Definitely worse, but there's a million things that play Netflix already. Including the smartphone Nintendo is forcing you to use their online services through.

To be fair, I didn't get either of those systems til way after launch, so my apologies if they also didn't have them. Just seems crazy to me that they wouldn't put out something so (seemingly) simple. This would in no way be a deal breaker for me, but adding it on top of everything else, and they're making this an easy "wait til later" for a purchase. I want this system to do great, but man it's gonna have a rough start :/.

The question becomes I suppose. What has Nintendo and DeNA been doing for the last 2 years? I mean its going to be almost 3 years since they announced their partnership to create an online platform etc. before Nintendo is even ready on the Switch.

This is a good question and precisely what I want to know.

I'm expecting a Direct before launch with details about their online, VC, My Nintendo rewards, etc. Hopefully that'll show us something good from this partnership.

Branduil

Sure are a lot of people posting in this thread just to tell us how much they really don't care.

Anyway, this news isn't without context. Every detail we've learned about the Switch and its UI, its online services, paints a picture that cannot even be described as half-assed. It's a quarter ass at best, if you're feeling generous. This does not inspire any degree of confidence, especially when they want us to pay for their shoddy "service."

antonz

Seems their new Strategy is get Nintendo Fans used to Mobile Phones so when they are fully forced out of the console market people will be ready to embrace Mobile Nintendo

Matt

I mean, he more or less did otherwise specifying is rather meaningless.

Seems they kept dev kits tight (or were tight by necessity) and they're likely only now going out wide and that would include Netflix for making an app. Can't imagine that would actually take them very long, though.
It should be very straightforward, especially because it should just be an app with no deeper system integration.

Nintendo wants to keep the OS tight.

gogogow

"the iPhone 4 was first unveiled on June 7, 2010, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco,[6] and was released on June 24, 2010, in the United States"
or did I get played?

What about it? Did I say anything that wasn't correct? iPhone 4 doesn't have a 720p panel.
I wasn't serious about it anyway. Just thought it was funny something would post a picture of an old ass phone. I bet it was just a quick google search. And before people think I hate Apple or something, I have an iPhone 7 Plus.

Soroc

Maybe your phone streams the Netflix to your Switch :p

Guys, you need to start thinking outside the box like Nintendo and understand that the complete Switch experience is both the Switch and your smartphone! lol

Vena

It should be very straightforward, especially because it should just be an app with no deeper system integration.

Nintendo wants to keep the OS tight.

Ya, I figure it'd just be an easy port as an app on the eShop. We'll probably see it very near launch, though its a matter of when/how fast Netflix turns around on making it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The Nintendo Switch Thread Drinking Game of taking a shot at every "non-issue" post will claim many lives. It has already claimed mine.

The main problem with this sort of thing is Nintendo then thinking they can charge for an online service. Like, who cares if our O/s and network offerings are behind every electronic device on Earth sans Leapfrog stuff. We can definitely charge money for being this shit!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This seems calculated. It's so much of a no-brainer that they must have a plan to do this down the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Nintendo Direct dedicated to Switch Features. We no almost nothing about the features of the system except for the facts that it plays games and that appears to be the narrative Nintendo is focused on for the moment.

I don't think there are many early adopters who pre-ordered the Switch who don't already have a netflix device and I understand that's not ideal but its not a deal breaker. This reminds me that I have a bet that the Switch will be able to output 4k/60fps for streaming so I really hope they get announce Netflix soon

rockx4

I'm starting to think the Switch will be extremely barebones until Fall... when they launch their paid online service. Maybe nothing is ready except for the general gaming features. We're gonna have to wait for a huge OS update again like the Wii U.

lenovox1

Can't believe the absence of Netflix (of all things) is being spinned as a positive too.

No one is spinning this as a positive. People are saying that it's okay, it's going to get it at some point.

They're spinning it like it's not a big deal.

Because it isn't.

gogogow

The Nintendo Switch Thread Drinking Game of taking a shot at every "non-issue" post will claim many lives. It has already claimed mine.

The main problem with this sort of thing is Nintendo then thinking they can charge for an online service. Like, who cares if our O/s and network offerings are behind every electronic device on Earth sans Leapfrog stuff. We can definitely charge money for being this shit!

What do you know about Nintendo Switch's OS and the online services. Last I checked no one knows shit. Not having a fucking netflix app doesn't mean the OS is shit. The OS is more than just a streaming app. The only shit I see is your shitposting.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Rumors have pointed to a minimalist OS and a rather strict focus on gaming functions, and this is in line with that.

Gorillaz

it's such a basic ass feature at this point that it's weird to NOT launch a product without netflix

that OS has to be bare as fuck

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Maybe Nintendo's mobile strategy is not to attract mobile users to their consoles, as we initially thought, but to push console users to mobile. Maybe it's part of their deal with Apple. Mobile apps for all the basic features of Switch.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Wii had it, the Wii U had it, hell the 3DS had it.

It's going to be on the Switch.

My guess is Netflix hasn't made the app yet.

antonz

What do you know about Nintendo Switch's OS and the online services. Last I checked no one knows shit. Not having a fucking netflix app doesn't mean the OS is shit. The OS is more than just a streaming app. The only shit I see is your shitposting.

Based on what we do know they are going for a barebones as possible OS. Basic features like lobbies and voice chat you need to have a smart phone to access etc.

Maybe Nintendo's mobile strategy is not to attract mobile users to their consoles, as we initially thought, but to push console users to mobile. Maybe it's part of their deal with Apple. Mobile apps for all the basic features of Switch.
Realistically unless Nintendo finds a way to get a serious foothold back inside the Video Game Industry all they have in their future is mobile. At this point Sony is moving in for the kill on Microsoft and Nintendo.

MrS

Banned
What year is it?

But seriously, maybe this is an OS issue? Battery life would surely be killed by Netflix too?

Spinluck

Netflix on a 720p screen made to play video games?

I'm good, I have plenty of portable devices with better screens suited for that.

But if it does come, good for those that want it, if not... Then that sucks.

vern

I know everyone can't follow all the leaks and leakers, but I've been saying this since October on gaf, and first heard this was their plan last summer. No browser, no apps, simplified OS that basically just launches games.

It's far from rushed or half assed, it's been their plan all along. Not defending the actual plan itself here, but anyone who thinks it's not a very deliberate plan by Nintendo is very wrong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Maybe release an exclusive app for it on phone

As part of the fantastic Nintendo Online subscription for just 50 euro per year (cheapest on the market) you get a free smart device app that will allow you to watch* spectacular movies and TV series on your mobile.

*if you have a Netflix subscription.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

If only Nintendo had an event scheduled 3 months ahead of time where they invited all the worlds gaming press to showcase all their new consoles features at. Said console releasing in 7 weeks.

I'm not sure also what the magical configuration is for you personally to finally accept Switch may have a shit offering, but things like no entertainment apps, no sign of the browser, no voice chat, no Twitch/streaming integration and so on sort of all adds up. Wanting people to not speak ill of your chosen corporation isn't going to unfuck the reality in which this currently looks like a shitshow. When its not a shitshow, we can switch over to not calling it a shitshow, but until then, its called as its seen and reported.

You also seem very cross.

Lol what? So because The device only last 3 hrs playing a demanding game?

Also who cares if the 6" screen is 720p for watching movies? I'm not gonna read a book on it.
Edit** even for reading the ppi is pretty good I'm sure

Finally, if "soooooo much shit" can run Netflix these days then it's even more concerning when the switch doesn't. But I'm sure it will post launch.
I don't disagree that it's stupid I'm just saying it's not a big deal. I have to go out of my way to find a device that doesn't play netflix these days :)

Just talked to my wife. We're going to wait on the Switch until the dust settles and more games are announced/online confirmed to not be shit. We used the Wii U as our main media hub for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/YouTube as it's the only console we own. We'll get Breath of the Wild for the Wii U.

Too bad. We were both really excited and I have the cash ready to go. Nearly everything since the 12th has completely deflated our hype.

antonz

What year is it?

But seriously, maybe this is an OS issue? Battery life would surely be killed by Netflix too?

Netflix would actually run longer than games. Netflix would be one of the few things to probably last close to the 6 hours.

gogogow

Based on what we do know they are going for a barebones as possible OS. Basic features like lobbies and voice chat you need to have a smart phone to access etc.

That is more of a concious decision than a "shit" OS. If they can make a separate app for smartphones, they can also integrate it into he OS. Because that is even more work, having to make an app for iOS and Android. Testing, updates, they have to constantly make it for two different OS's. I feel like they want to do this because of "protecting" the younger audiences. To have the game and the voice chat etc. separated In the past they rather not have voice chat at all in their online games.

Vena

That is more of a concious decision than a "shit" OS. If they can make a separate app for smartphones, they can also integrate it into he OS. Because that is even more work, having to make an app for iOS and Android. Testing, updates, they have to constantly make it for two different OS's. I feel like they want to do this because of "protecting" the younger audiences. To have the game and the voice chat etc. separated In the past they rather not have voice chat at all in their online games.

They want to do this to make their OS as rigid against hacking as possible.

Netflix will be on the system eventually, it will be an App and not a system function. They are effectively removing every vector of attack short of launching games. Wouldn't even be surprised if Netflix launched within days of the system, its not going to be hard to turn around an App on it for this hardware.

Nintendo shouldn't price their console as though it is a premium multimedia device when they can't even have Netflix on Switch at launch.

I feel like the "but I have Netflix on other devices" misses the point as much as "but I have DVD-playing devices elsewhere in my home" missed the point on earlier Nintendo consoles. Then again, at least Gamecube and Wii were priced like devices that couldn't do something so simple.

And before anyone says "But Sony..." I want to say that it sucks that I can't play any of my physical audiobooks on PS4 and it's kinda absurd that my PS4 is missing that functionality.

lenovox1

Netflix would actually run longer than games. Netflix would be one of the few things to probably last close to the 6 hours.

Netflix should last 13 hours if the Google Pixel C is anything to go by. (As it also gets about 3 hours of "hardcore" game time on Tegra X1.)

Top Bottom