• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No One Lives Forever Trademark Filed By Night Dive Studios (System Shock 2 Steam)

I know some of the original designers on it, at a startup, have been trying to get the rights back to that for a while.

But I know they moved onto other companies. I wonder if this is that company.

Persona7

Banned
I've never played any of the NOLF games so I look forward to them showing up! The more female protagonists the merrier.

Grim Fandango next please? :p I'd say X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle, but I suspect those are just due to Disney being silly or something rather than licensing.

GOG almost had the deal in the bag but the disney buyout changed everything.

Sesha

I would say Xseed does that in a way, but they seem to be moving towards the PC platform as well.

Funny you should mention them, as AQ Interactive owned feelplus, which was partly formed by remnants of the former Shadow Hearts team (Nautilus). Dunno if feelplus is still intact with the new company, though. At any rate, few niche franchises make it to the marketplace or PSN, outside of ones from the major pubs, so having someone start bringing them to the PC would be a boon.

Megasoum

Banned
Amazing news... We need more games where we can fight a ninja in a trailer home while flying 500ft in the air in the middle of a tornado.

I knew one day they would track down that little old indian man hiding in a cave who owned the copyright

Now you all have no excuse when it comes to appreciating the awesomeness of NOLF2

Nibel

A classic non-military shooter with a charming heroine and stylish setting?

EWmof.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
First the Star Wars franchise pack gets a 66% discount on Steam for what I think is the first time since Disney acquired them, and now this. Today is a good day for PC gaming.

I still have my NOLF disc from my last PC gaming stint in 2000. It was my first PC game purchase!

I actually have all 3 of the games set in the nolf universe on disc still, but holy shit I want them to be available for a new generation of gamers to enjoy. NOLF2 is pretty much the pinnacle of fps design imo.

This is so good! I really can't even put into words how amazing this is. When it happens I will GAF plays the shit out of these with all of you fine folks.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
This has to happen! Then we need a real third game, not that Contract Jack shit. The first two games (especially the first) hold a special place in gaming for me. So fun, so charming, just amazing all around.

DocSeuss

I know some of the original designers on it, at a startup, have been trying to get the rights back to that for a while.

The original designers are at Blackpowder Games, unless I'm mistaken.

element

Craig, Wes, David? Or someone else? I think they flirted with the idea, but quickly moved onto making a new IP, which Betrayer turned into.

The original designers are at Blackpowder Games, unless I'm mistaken.
You are correct.
Craig Hubbard - Design Lead on Shogo, NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
Wes Salisbury - Art Lead on Shogo, NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
David Longo - Art Director on NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
Brad Pendleton - Programmer (Lead) - Shogo, NOLF, AVP2, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors

Larry is the new person to the group. He was at Monolith for F.E.A.R. 2 and Gotham City Impostors.

Vecks

Sweet. Did not see this coming. I still have the original on CDs, but I've never gotten a chance to play the 2nd game.

Sweet. Did not see this coming. I still have the original on CDs, but I've never gotten a chance to play the 2nd game.

NOLF2 is amazing. The writing is hilarious and clever, the gameplay is varied and deep. I envy anyone who gets to play it for the first time, it's just spectacular. If there were modern fps with 1% of the charm, and 1% of the intricacy, of NOLF2 then fps wouldn't be the laughing stock of a genre that it is today.

Nome

What's so good about these?

I played all of them back in the day, and I don't remember a thing about them.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I have 2 copies of each game sitting on my shelf right now, but I'll probably end up rebuying them anyway if it means better chance of NOLF3.

If that happens they had better get the guys at Blackpowder somehow.

DocSeuss

Craig, Wes, David? Or someone else? I think they flirted with the idea, but quickly moved onto making a new IP, which Betrayer turned into.

You are correct.
Craig Hubbard - Design Lead on Shogo, NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
Wes Salisbury - Art Lead on Shogo, NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
David Longo - Art Director on NOLF, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors
Brad Pendleton - Programmer (Lead) - Shogo, NOLF, AVP2, NOLF 2, FEAR, Gotham City Impostors

Larry is the new person to the group. He was at Monolith for F.E.A.R. 2 and Gotham City Impostors.

Betrayer was absolutely fantastic. Had some of the best fights I've played in years.

I had read in a few places that Hubbard worked on AvP2; is this not accurate?

gabbo

Betrayer was absolutely fantastic. Had some of the best fights I've played in years.

I had read in a few places that Hubbard worked on AvP2; is this not accurate?

With that time line, after NOLF but before FEAR, he probably had some input.
Hopefully they also get TRON 2.0 out of Disney's cold dead hands.

Trying to draw categorical conclusions about what's possible is what led to the conclusion that System Shock 2 would never get freed up, and look how silly those people look now!

Disney's certainly a tough nut to crack, but they're also a company that loves money. I'm not nearly as cynical about the long-term prospects of cracking open the LucasArts vaults.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Trying to draw categorical conclusions about what's possible is what led to the conclusion that System Shock 2 would never get freed up, and look how silly those people look now!

Disney's certainly a tough nut to crack, but they're also a company that loves money. I'm not nearly as cynical about the long-term prospects of cracking open the LucasArts vaults.

The real worry is whether they can be bothered.

The themes of NOLF are just generic enough (not in a bad way, don't get me wrong) that a pseudo-sequel should be fairly easy to cook up. They should get a kickstarter campaign going.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

"Not happening" doesn't mean "Won't happen". If I meant the latter I would have said the latter. ;) As I mentioned in another thread, I think the best approach to getting Disney Interactive games (and indeed other LucasArts titles) on Steam/GOG would be to hit up what remains of LucasArts itself since it has the sales data to convince Mr. Mouse that a stronger PC DD presence is a good idea.

Edit: I've clarified the post I linked to. Admittedly it was easy to misunderstand. Poor form on my part!

DocSeuss

well, hey, here I was thinking two different companies were fighting over the rights to NOLF, so what do I know?

I'm still moderately doubtful.

Very exciting indeed. I might buy them again, but what I'm really intrigued by is the possibility of the series' continuation. Please let common sense prevail for once.

Top Bottom