• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No release date set yet for Dark Souls 2 PC

I realize that this is not confirmed, but the fact that we have yet to hear a concrete date for the PC release, beyond the fact that it coming after the console version, is far from reassuring. Perhaps I'm just being unreasonably paranoid, but this would not be the first time something like this has happened to the PC port of game.

bj00rn_

Banned
Meanwhile you never faced the most terrifying, thrilling and satisfying enemies in the game - human invaders.

Terrifying and satisfying.? More like the most annoying shit ever in an otherwise good game. Dark Souls is one of the most immersive and dynamic gaming experiences around - as long as I don't have to read dumb shit text on the ground or get hit by a sudden grey wall appearing when occupied with something else.. which is why 200 of my 250 hours in the game was played with the network cable pulled.. and I'll be checking if it's possible to do the same with DS2 before I buy it. Why the fuck not just let it be optional.

Anyway, I can live with a couple of weeks delay, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Terrifying and satisfying.? More like the most annoying shit ever in an otherwise good game. Dark Souls is one of the most immersive and dynamic gaming experiences around - as long as I don't have to read dumb shit text on the ground or get hit by a sudden grey wall appearing when occupied with something else.. which is why 200 of my 250 hours in the game was played with the network cable pulled.. and I'll be checking if it's possible to do the same with DS2 before I buy it. Why the fuck not just let it be optional.

Anyway, I can live with a couple of weeks delay, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

All you have to do is avoid being human tbf

puzl

Banned
The game was designed for you to summon help and be invaded. Summoning friends/randoms let's you steamroll the game, so balance is restored via other people invading. In Dark Souls, being human has real tangible benefits, so there should always be a risk/reward system in place.

I have no problem with people playing exclusively offline, but when you're playing online and disconnect just because someone invades, you're essentially cheating both yourself and the game mechanics in general.

Why do you think FROM is allowing everyone to invade/be invaded now, regardless of whether you're human or not? They were probably sick of people abusing the humanity system and playing only half the game they intended. I'm so glad that everyone will be invade-able from now on. That tension you get from being surrounded by enemies and having another player stalk you is not something you can replicate offline.

Embrace the Dark Souls experience! Play the game for everything it has to offer.

bj00rn_

Banned
Or dont buy the game because invading / get invaded is how Dark Souls was conceived. Is not an optional thing that you can switch off. Disconnecting your cable was not designed by the developers.

Because you enjoy invasions I have to obey the almighty "rulebook" or else begone? Why are you losing sleep over me enjoying a game without conforming to what I personally consider to be the least appealing part of the game? Playing with people online takes me out of the experience, but so what? I bought the game twice because I enjoyed it so much, and have spoken good about the game since. Are you really speaking on From's official behalf when you indicate that my contribution and support to the developer is not appreciated?

Speaking of which: where lagging bastards and cheaters (on PC at least) part of a well designed experience?

Not just PC. Cheating is a "designed experience" on consoles as well. ;)

You should be able to play however you want to as long as you are having fun and arent disrupting someone else's game. I dont really care what the developers intended. I am sure Bethesda didnt intend the dragons in Skyrim to be replaced by Macho Man Randy Savage but if that makes the game more fun to you, by all means, go for it. People who think they should dictate how others play are some of the saddest guys in gaming. Right up there with "I liked this game before everyone else did" guys.

puzl

Banned
You should be able to play however you want to as long as you are having fun and arent disrupting someone else's game.

This works both ways. If you disconnect as a host when an invader joins, then you are disrupting the other persons experience.

It's going to be even worse in Dark Souls II, sadly. All the cowards will be wearing out their keyboards, jamming those ALT+F4 keys as soon as they get invaded. Pathetic really.

This works both ways. If you disconnect as a host when an invader joins, then you are disrupting the other persons experience.

It's going to be even worse in Dark Souls II, sadly. All the cowards will be wearing out their keyboards, jamming those ALT+F4 keys as soon as they get invaded. Pathetic really.

If you want to play offline you can just play offline. No need to disconnect the cable mid game. Why would you connect it in the first place?

And even if people do that, tough shit. Invade again. If you invade, YOU are the one who is already disrupting their game. Its called an "Invasion" for a reason. Not a mutliplayer match up. They dont owe you a fight.

I have got like 300 hours in DaS. Most of that PvP. I dont mind if someone disconnects when I invade. They dont wanna fight then they dont have to.

Kadayi

Banned
Happy for FROM to take their time on the PC version. More configurations to deal with.

Also if you don't want to be invaded play offline. No need to disconnect cables.

Shinjica

If you want to play offline you can just play offline. No need to disconnect the cable mid game. Why would you connect it in the first place?

And even if people do that, tough shit. Invade again. If you invade, YOU are the one who is already disrupting their game. Its called an "Invasion" for a reason. Not a mutliplayer match up. They dont owe you a fight.

I have got like 300 hours in DaS. Most of that PvP. I dont mind if someone disconnects when I invade. They dont wanna fight then they dont have to.

Oh come on, this is getting ridicolous. You're not disrupting their game because is how the game is designed. If you dont like it no one told you to buy it anyway.

It's like playing EVE Online and getting angry because you have to disconnect when someone want to kill you.

puzl

Banned

And even if people do that, tough shit. Invade again. If you invade, YOU are the one who is already disrupting their game. They dont owe you a fight.

See, this is exactly the mentality that has ruined this community. Invasions and being invaded are part of the Dark Souls experience. Invading is at the very core of the gameplay and lore mechanics for this game. Just like in Demon's Souls before it, which only allowed you to access a certain piece of equipment by embracing the PVP aspect of the game. It's not some personal vendetta of the invader to ruin the other persons game; they're just enjoying an aspect of the experience than the developer intended to be used. Just like Darkwraiths can pray on the innocent, the guilty will be punished by the Darkmoon covenant. It's all balanced.

They DO owe you the fight, because they've decided to play an online game, in a human form, allowing themselves to be open to the multiplayer pool. It's not "tough shit" if they don't want to fight. They're cheating. They're ruining the game for themselves and the rest of the online community and FROM has taken measures to prevent it in the sequel. Good!

Like I say, if they want to play solo, then stick it in offline mode. It's ironic that many of these same idiots who pull the plug at the first sign of invasions will gladly summon for help on bosses they can't handle solo. So much for artificial difficulty.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's not "tough shit" if they don't want to fight. They're cheating. They're ruining the game for themselves and the rest of the online community and FROM has taken measures to prevent it in the sequel. Good!

What now? "Cheating"? "Ruining the game"? Good heavens, no, players teleporting and landing hits from ten feet away are what ruin the online portion of the game.

If From manage to mostly fix all of the lag-related issues from DS with dedicated servers, fantastic, I'll welcome invasions. If not, though, I'll just continue disconnecting with no qualms. Offline mode is an option, but then I'd lose the ability to read (and laugh at) messages, watch bloodstains, and wave at the pale apparitions of other players.

(For the record: no, I don't summon. I find tackling areas and bosses on my own to be far more satisfying, especially on challenge runs.)

teiresias

Japanese gaming management strikes again!!! I swear, one could probably write an entire PhD dissertation as a case study on the failings of that country's gaming industry management.

puzl

Banned
What now? "Cheating"? "Ruining the game"? Good heavens, no, players teleporting and landing hits from ten feet away are what ruin the online portion of the game.

If From manage to mostly fix all of the lag-related issues from DS with dedicated servers, fantastic, I'll welcome invasions. If not, though, I'll just continue disconnecting with no qualms. Offline mode is an option, but then I'd lose the ability to read (and laugh at) messages, watch bloodstains, and wave at the pale apparitions of other players.

(For the record: no, I don't summon. I find tackling areas and bosses on my own to be far more satisfying, especially on challenge runs.)

Imagine watching a sporting event, where one of the players suddenly decided he didn't want to play the game against other people any more and walked off the pitch. Not only would that person likely get suspended, he'd probably be laughed off the field too. That's exactly what it's like seeing people disconnect from video games online. It's just so unbelievably pathetic and I'm honestly shocked you can try to defend it. Either you want to play online or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Lag is going to happen in every game and is an unavoidable part of internet gaming. Not everyone will have 100mbit fiber optic lines.

You're too scared to play the game you paid money for. Let that sink in for a while.

Damian.

Banned
Your argument is invalid, in a real sporting event online lag doesn't come into play and it's pretty much a fair fight. If you want to argue being online with lag spikes would be more like playing against someone in a sporting event that just took adrenaline and other performance enhancing drugs and someone kicked you in the back of the knee to start the game off.

Durante

I agree with the idea that you shouldn't play online if you disconnect at invasions.

Speaking of which: where lagging bastards and cheaters (on PC at least) part of a well designed experience?
Yeah, seriously, those 15 minutes of encountering 2 cheaters out of 215 hours were terrible and ruined the game!

puzl

Banned
Your argument is invalid, in a real sporting event online lag doesn't come into play and it's pretty much a fair fight. If you want to argue being online with lag spikes would be more like playing against someone in a sporting event that just took adrenaline and other performance enhancing drugs and someone kicked you in the back of the knee to start the game off.

Except many of these guys who disconnect don't do so because of lag. It's pretty hard to gauge someones connection if they've already pulled the plug the minute they see the invasion text.

Nope, most of them do it because they don't want the challenge of fighting a real person and are scared of dying. They really are playing the wrong game I think.

Again, play offline or stay hollow if you don't want to be part of the multiplayer pool. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Imagine watching a sporting event, where one of the players suddenly decided he didn't want to play the game against other people any more and walked off the pitch. Not only would that person likely get suspended, he'd probably be laughed off the field too. That's exactly what it's like seeing people disconnect from video games online. It's just so unbelievably pathetic and I'm honestly shocked you can try to defend it. Either you want to play online or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Lag is going to happen in every game and is an unavoidable part of internet gaming. Not everyone will have 100mbit fiber optic lines.

I'm not sure how you think that analogy applies, since the vast majority of your time in a normal playthrough of Souls is not spent directly interacting with other humans.

You're too scared to play the game you paid money for. Let that sink in for a while.

Heh, okay. "Scared" has nothing to do with it. I have a character set aside for SL125 PvP in the Burg. Duels are very fun in those rare instances when hits land when they should, don't when they shouldn't, and both players aren't teleporting all over the place. I played without disconnecting at all for my first playthrough, but then I wised up to the fact that the cases of laggy invaders weren't isolated, they were a near-constant. I noticed that most invaders were Japanese - me being from the Midwest/East US, the lag was atrocious, many times worse than what I experience in other multiplayer games.

As I said above, if From manage to mostly mitigate the lag issues in DSII (I've read that Demon's Souls with its dedis was much better in this regard, so I have hope), then I'll be very pleased and will gladly open myself up to invasions. That's all there is to it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This seems like the Smash Bros debate all over again. Some people enjoy the game one way, others have different preferences. I never dodged an invasion, but on the whole didn't really like the added paranoia they gave me. It's definitely one of the more unique features though and can see why a lot of people enjoy it.

puzl

Banned
The analogy applies to your interaction with other people in the game (or lack of, considering the people in this thread seem to disconnect the moment someone else joins, not even giving them a chance to play)

Anyway, if you're getting *constant* teleporting in Dark Souls PVP, then the problem is probably your own connection. Despite what you keep telling yourself, it's not normal. 90% of all my duels in Dark Souls on PC are smooth as silk. There will always be latency and due to the way the netcode works in this game, it can look a bit weird when you're "sucked" back into your opponent when they backstab you, but it's just due to the lag compensation they use. You need to use the mindset of where your character is going to be within 50-100ms, not where you on your particular screen right at the instance you attack/move etc... just like you need to lead shots when playing competitive FPS', it's all about knowing where your opponent is going to be.

Dedicated servers will help, especially since they're region locked and you'll be paired up with people in your country/region. You'll never remove latency completely though, and it's silly to think otherwise. Both Demon's Souls and the DkS2 beta have it, along with every other game played over the internet.

Anyway, I've said enough on this topic. Please stop disconnecting people and give the game a chance. The PVP aspect of the game is incredibly in-depth and rewarding. It'll give it a whole new lease of life, long after you've finished the PVE side of it.

dmr87

I wouldn't say that May 31st would be 'shortly after', we'll see.

oC5.png

AnnTiPa

Pre-ordered for PS3. I was already on the fence, two weeks is a long time to wait but now that it seems it might take even longer I'll just get both versions.

I'm hoping that now that we're getting dedicated servers, they'll go the MMO route. Even if you disconnect, your character will stay online for some time. Accidental disconnects are annoying but I'd rather lose a fight once or twice due to that than have people constantly pulling the plug. I also trust that From will have a more secure solution this time around so cheaters are even less of a problem than before.

Bummer for PC players. Part of the fun in the Souls games is getting in early and seeing everyone discover shit together.

Right? Its going to be a fucking mad house of leveling up as quick as possible with the shit storm of invasions going on early game, when nobody really knows whats going on for sure lol.

Im actually really excited for this craziness!

Edit: In regards to the convo above... I will NOT be disconnecting like a pansy. Even if I get my ass kicked! That's part of the fun. Man up and take your death.

I'll map my ALT+F4 to one of my mouse buttons for this purpose of leaving from invaders.

Dark Souls is not competitive so this example does not matter. If this were Dota 2 then this would be relevant.

Sullichin

I'll map my ALT+F4 to one of my mouse buttons for this purpose of leaving from invaders.

Dark Souls is not competitive so this example does not matter. If this were Dota 2 then this would be relevant.

If someone invades my game and my goal is to kill him before he kills me, how is that not competitive?

Anth0ny

Played 200+ hours of Dark Souls offline. That was nearly a perfect experience. It's my game of the generation. No interest in any of the online features, including invasions.

If someone invades my game and my goal is to kill him before he kills me, how is that not competitive?
There are not any events like LCS, The International, Call of Duty Championship, etc... Puzl was comparing to a sporting event which the International is.

Oh come on, this is getting ridicolous. You're not disrupting their game because is how the game is designed. If you dont like it no one told you to buy it anyway.

It's like playing EVE Online and getting angry because you have to disconnect when someone want to kill you.

Last time I checked EVE is an MMO and is marketed as so.

I prefer to play Dark Souls with invasions/messages/etc. on since I think that's the way the game is designed and is also just appealing to be on-edge the entire time.

Odrion

Banned
Well, I was going to preorder the PC version. Now I'm going to wait for people's impressions before picking up the game.

Will double dip if it's the second coming (ie 85% as good as Dark Souls 1).

Seanspeed

Banned
I think the problem, in Dark Souls at least, is that the matchups are usually far from fair. The matchmaking is done by level ranges, but that is not a very good way of matching up players because you don't need to be a high level to progress far into the game and get some of the best equipment.

I've only had a handful of invaders that actually seemed on the level with me in terms of equipment and whatnot. In those cases, it was interesting and tense. But more often than not, my invader is some experienced player with some awesome gear and I stand pretty much no chance. So when I get invaded, it usually just means that I'm gonna die and cant really do anything about it. I don't really consider that 'competitive'.

I don't really blame people for not liking this part of the game. People that say "Well this just isn't your type of game then" seem to be ignoring that these games are still immensely fun without this aspect of the game to deal with, so its understandable that they'll still want to play.

puzl

Banned

Dark Souls isn't competitive? I guess all these twitch fight clubs, regular reddit/4chan tourneys and leaderboards are all figments of my imagination then.

Just because a game doesn't have paid tournaments, doesn't make it non-competitive. Regular PVP duelers are some of the most competitive players I've ever seen... and this is coming from a guy who used to play Q3A on Barrysworld/Jolt/LAN tourneys every week. There is a reason the Giant Dad meme exists. People REALLY want to win in Dark Souls.

Balance in PVP is another thing entirely, but it's still incredibly ignorant to dismiss a game as non-competitive just because it doesn't have DOTA's raw numbers.

Top Bottom