• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No release date set yet for Dark Souls 2 PC

Rich!

Purely by chance, I have a week holiday booked from 24th March onwards, and a two week holiday booked from the 31st May onwards.

I'm ready, regardless!

Sullichin

I think the problem, in Dark Souls at least, is that the matchups are usually far from fair. The matchmaking is done by level ranges, but that is not a very good way of matching up players because you don't need to be a high level to progress far into the game and get some of the best equipment.

I've only had a handful of invaders that actually seemed on the level with me in terms of equipment and whatnot. In those cases, it was interesting and tense. But more often than not, my invader is some experienced player with some awesome gear and I stand pretty much no chance. So when I get invaded, it usually just means that I'm gonna die and cant really do anything about it. I don't really consider that 'competitive'.

I don't really blame people for not liking this part of the game. People that say "Well this just isn't your type of game then" seem to be ignoring that these games are still immensely fun without this aspect of the game to deal with, so its understandable that they'll still want to play.

There is definitely room for improvement with how matchmaking works. The covenant that will auto-summon a helper when you get invaded is a good start.

At higher levels / in fight clubs, the game has the potential to be very competitive. Two players at the same level with the same restrictions dueling is different than the multiplayer most people are bound to experience in the game though.

I've done plenty of offline playthroughs of DS and of course it's a great single player game and it's worth playing even if you aren't interested in the online. Selectively participating in online (i.e. summoning help but quitting every time you get invaded) is kind of lame though. I mean, I don't really care how other people play the game. Just speaking from the other side that it's annoying to be disconnected as soon as you invade, just like it's annoying to get disconnected in any multiplayer game.

Serra

When cheaters drain your stats and Namco/From don't care it ain't funny anymore.

And then you override your savefile with the one you made before your sessions and bam, you lost nothing. People complaining about hackers are either stupid, misinformed or trolls. DaS PVP has so many other problems the occasional cheater is a drop in the bucket.

And then you override your savefile with the one you made before your sessions and bam, you lost nothing. People complaining about hackers are either stupid, misinformed or trolls. DaS PVP has so many other problems the occasional cheater is a drop in the bucket.

You just called people who arent regularly backing up their saves stupid. Think that over. I literally cannot think of one other game where I have had to worry about getting my save game ruined by someone else.

Just because you can basically hack your way into making save game back ups doesnt excuse From's incompetance in the initial port. Or the fact that they have pretty much abandoned the game to cheaters and hackers. Oh and lets not forget GFWL is about the render the whole online component unplayable and there hasnt been a word about it from the developers or the publishers.

I love the game but the fanbase for this game is borderline toxic. Consumer blaming and corporate ballwashing is not something to be proud of. Even if they made a game you like.

Serra

You just called people who arent regularly backing up their saves stupid. Think that over.
Yeah I did. And you are if you don't since its trivial and automatic once you set it up the first time. How many horror stories have you read about GFWL losing your saves?

Just because you can basically hack your way into making save game back ups doesnt excuse From's incompetance in the initial port.
Yes, it was a terrible incompetent port only saved by Durante.

Or the fact that they have pretty much abandoned the game to cheaters and hackers.
While I am disappointed in their lack of patches (mostly for balancing) I don't see Dark Souls having a bigger problem than most games (for example COD) with cheaters and hackers.

Oh and lets not forget GFWL is about the render the whole online component unplayable and there hasnt been a word about it from the developers or the publishers.
Yes, this sucks. They really fucked up when they initially picked GFWL for their online solution. Honestly, again I am disappointed by the lack of communication by FROM. But this is just par for the course for Scamco.

puzl

Banned
Just because you can basically hack your way into making save game back ups

Copy/pasting is considered hacking now?

hackers-1995-hack-the-planet.jpg

tokkun

I think the problem, in Dark Souls at least, is that the matchups are usually far from fair. The matchmaking is done by level ranges, but that is not a very good way of matching up players because you don't need to be a high level to progress far into the game and get some of the best equipment.

I've only had a handful of invaders that actually seemed on the level with me in terms of equipment and whatnot. In those cases, it was interesting and tense. But more often than not, my invader is some experienced player with some awesome gear and I stand pretty much no chance. So when I get invaded, it usually just means that I'm gonna die and cant really do anything about it. I don't really consider that 'competitive'.

I don't know if you have done much invading yourself, but this problem goes both ways. A level 30 invader might end up invading a level 300 host. There are also predatory players who sit around in human form just waiting to get invaded, sometimes in groups of 3.

UnrealEck

I think I'll just skip giving them any more money then if they can't get reasonable release dates together. I'm sick of this crap. There's no excuse either. 'PC version needs extra work for graphics options' or whatever crap they hit out with is not a valid excuse. They're just trying to get extra money. So now they get none from me.

Orayn

I think I'll just skip giving them any more money then if they can't get reasonable release dates together. I'm sick of this crap. There's no excuse either. 'PC version needs extra work for graphics options' or whatever crap they hit out with is not a valid excuse. They're just trying to get extra money. So now they get none from me.

I think you might be overreacting, seeing as the release date is probably within a week or two and Amazon.de just bumped it from being wrong to being a placeholder.

Soriku

Why don't you people who get invaded try fighting and winning for a change. Not everyone is a super hax player. It is possible to win. And you can be rewarded with a good amount of souls if you do.

For me it's cool that you can get invaded as a hollow in DkS2. I was invaded rarely in Dark Souls since I was rarely human. You die faster than your humanity stock can keep up with (plus I wanted to save them for bonfires, or for getting help a few times once I turned human).

Plus I don't care too much if I lose souls. I generally don't run around long distances while holding lots of souls as is for the most part, and souls aren't that hard to get.

Didn't really like the way invasions were handled. I always thought there should be a dedicated pvp arena where your avatar can face off against others.

For actual invasions in another players world I always thought invaders should be restricted to taking over the bodies of whatever enemy types are in the area. To counter the easier difficulty of the invaders, From could make it so as long as you're online invasions will happen whether you're human or not. So more invasions--but all very winnable fights. Probably a lot more interesting stories playing out this way imo.

UnrealEck

I think you might be overreacting, seeing as the release date is probably within a week or two and Amazon.de just bumped it from being wrong to being a placeholder.

It's still not released on the same day as consoles. Like I said, I can't see any valid excuse for it. This one isn't a port, they should have all versions out simultaneously.

puzl

Banned
It's still not released on the same day as consoles. Like I said, I can't see any valid excuse for it. This one isn't a port, they should have all versions out simultaneously.

Would you rather they rushed it out, giving the PC community more reasons to bitch and moan about them, or take a little while longer to deliver a better game? I know which I'd rather have. Simultaneous releases across all formats, in all regions, from a tiny studio in Japan isn't easy and I'm sure the release date was specified long in advance by the publisher, not the developer.

QA testing on a PC is far, far harder than on consoles. If you simply can't wait, then just buy it for the console instead.

Dresden

For me it's cool that you can get invaded as a hollow in DkS2. I was invaded rarely in Dark Souls since I was rarely human.

I don't like it, since it removes one of the more interesting aspects about De/DaSouls. The risk/reward mechanics of becoming human is even more diluted now. But I guess we'll see how it works out when the game is actually released.

Shinjica

Would you rather they rushed it out, giving the PC community more reasons to bitch and moan about them, or take a little while longer to deliver a better game? I know which I'd rather have. Simultaneous releases across all formats, in all regions, from a tiny studio in Japan isn't easy and I'm sure the release date was specified long in advance by the publisher, not the developer.

QA testing on a PC is far, far harder than on consoles. If you simply can't wait, then just buy it for the console instead.

I'n not quite sure about this kind of motivation. Why they give us a clearly release date for console version month ago but for the PC they are not sure about it?

Soriku

I don't like it, since it removes one of the more interesting aspects about De/DaSouls. The risk/reward mechanics of becoming human is even more diluted now. But I guess, just like all the other stuff I'm unhappy about, we'll see how it works out when the game is actually released.

My problem is the lack of risk in human form to begin with, because I'd die around the next corner and become hollow anyway :/ Lol.

Maybe they could've let you be invaded in hollow form, but only half the time than if you were human. But w/e.

falconbox

Banned
where did they say that you can get invaded while hollow now?

Playing the first one on Xbox360, I always just dashboarded when i got invaded. I bought the game for the single player campaign, not PvP.

georly

Playing the first one on Xbox360, I always just dashboarded when i got invaded. I bought the game for the single player campaign, not PvP.

Sign out of xbox live? That's a pain for other people trying to invade only to be kicked out.

Soriku

Why don't you just play offline?

The messages are cool and sometimes helpful, but you can easily get by without them.

Shinjica

I bought Eve Online to be a good trader but those horrible pirate continue to blow up my ship, even in a secure system.

I'll go to the internet and bitching about a MAIN feature the developer put in the game because i want to play but not at their rule

Why don't you people who get invaded try fighting and winning for a change.
I'm sorry, you might not have meant it this way, but when people talk about Souls having a toxic fanbase comments like these are what they point to. And rightfully so. Basically amounts to a dismissive "get good noob", but somehow even more condescending.

Durante

I don't like it, since it removes one of the more interesting aspects about De/DaSouls. The risk/reward mechanics of becoming human is even more diluted now. But I guess we'll see how it works out when the game is actually released.
Yeah, I always considered it one of the genius design decisions in Dark Souls to balance the opportunity for co-op with the only thing that can truly balance it: a human opponent. But I trust that they realized that and have something to replace that mechanic.

Or the one DSfix automatically backed up for you every 10 minutes.

Soriku

I'm sorry, you might not have meant it this way, but when people talk about Souls having a toxic fanbase comments like these are what they point to. And rightfully so. Basically amounts to a dismissive "get good noob", but somehow even more condescending.

I don't mean it in a condescending way. I'm just saying you can win (and benefit!) if you try. Some people don't bother. It may be due to a bad experience or two, but again, not everyone will be able to kill you immediately.

puzl

Banned

There was nothing toxic about his comment at all. People in this thread dashboarding out apparently don't want to play the game FROM intended for them to play, ruining the fun for others as a result. That's far more toxic to the overall health of the game and its community IMO.

So excited for Dark Souls II when these cowards will have no choice but to either man up, play completely offline, or enjoy corrupting their save files due to disconnecting every 2 minutes when an invader comes into their world.

I don't mean it in a condescending way. I'm just saying you can win (and benefit!) if you try. Some people don't bother. It may be due to a bad experience or two, but again, not everyone will be able to kill you immediately.

Alright, didn't realize you were specifically referring to DC'ers. I agree that it's an obnoxious behavior.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yeah, I always considered it one of the genius design decisions in Dark Souls to balance the opportunity for co-op with the only thing that can truly balance it: a human opponent. But I trust that they realized that and have something to replace that mechanic.

I don't think it is genius since it's not how they intended the system to work, in DaS you are basically being rewarded for staying in Hollow form.

falconbox

Banned
I don't think it is genius since it's not how they intended the system to work, in DaS you are basically being rewarded for staying in Hollow form.

Don't you take less damage and stuff based on being human and the amount of humanity held?

I know held humanity can boost item discovery even in hollow form, but to get the extra defensive stat boosts, I thought you needed to be human as well.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Don't you take less damage and stuff based on being human and the amount of humanity held?

I know held humanity can boost item discovery even in hollow form, but to get the extra defensive stat boosts, I thought you needed to be human as well.

AFAIK your defense is based on how many humanities you have. Human form only boost Curse resistance i think.

puzl

Banned

Nope, you get the defensive increase just by holding the soft humanity.

Why don't you just play offline?

The messages are cool and sometimes helpful, but you can easily get by without them.

I know you asked someone else but I feel I'm in a similar situation to him. I dislike having the invade mechanic forced on me since I'm not interested in PvP. I love playing co-op though. And the game feels very barren without messages.

If there was a covenant I could join (or a setting in a menu) that disabled PvP/invasions I would be so happy.

Orayn

I know you asked someone else but I feel I'm in a similar situation to him. I dislike having the invade mechanic forced on me since I'm not interested in PvP. I love playing co-op though. And the game feels very barren without messages.

If there was a covenant I could join (or a setting in a menu) that disabled PvP/invasions I would be so happy.

There's a covenant that summons another player to help protect you whenever you get invaded, and there's supposed to be some other way to reduce or block invasion as well.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
There some ways to aid those who don't like this new invasion mechanic:

1- Play offline
2- Join the Way of Blue covenant, everytime you get invaded a blue phantom will be summoned to assist you
3- FROM said sometime ago that will be other ways to prevent people to be invaded (Perhaps a ring or a in-game option)

puzl

Banned
If there is a covenant or ring that prevents invaders from accessing your world, I hope it is balanced in a way that also has consequences for the rest of your game. This could be something like preventing other people from helping you via co-op, via either a total block from summoning, a massively reduced time that they can stay in your world for, or opening twice the number of invasion spots if you do decide to summon for help... Or maybe forcing your world to be in a perma-gravelord like state. with tougher NPC enemies to restore balance to the difficulty.

Nothing should ever be easy in Dark Souls.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If there is a covenant or ring that prevents invaders from accessing your world, I hope it is balanced in a way that also has consequences for the rest of your game. This could be something like preventing other people from helping you via co-op, via either a total block from summoning, a massively reduced time that they can stay in your world for, or opening twice the number of invasion spots if you do decide to summon for help... Or maybe forcing your world to be in a perma-gravelord like state. with tougher NPC enemies to restore balance to the difficulty.

Nothing should ever be easy in Dark Souls.

Why should it have a negative effect? All that does is incentivize people to not use it and just disconnect whenever they get invaded, as they currently do.

There's really no reason to force people to participate in PvP. There's always going to be the option of simply force quitting the game or disconnecting the router, and there's fundamentally nothing that can be done to change that. Since the option to opt-out of PvP while still remaining online exists and there's nothing From can do about it I can't think of any reason not to permit people to simply turn it off within the game. Do that and the frustration of invading and instantly being disconnected vanishes, and the quality of PvP rises because players with no interest in it whatsoever are removed from the pool of participants. Everybody wins.

'Cept griefers, but eh. Ain't too torn up about that, truth be told.

Top Bottom