• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No signal from PS3 Slim?

Gaaraz

Urgh. My friend came over for the first time in over a year to play some FIFA, and the PS3 just wouldn't display anything on the TV.

It beeps like normal, the drive ejects and accepts blu-rays like normal, the controller syncs with the console etc but it just won't display anything at all, nor do I get any audio. I tried bypassing the AV receiver with no joy, I've tried turning it on and off again at the wall with no joy, and I've also tried holding down the power button to reset the video settings with no joy either (though I'm not sure if that's an original PS3 thing?)

Sorry to ask here but I searched and couldn't find a thread. I very rarely play my PS3 but in the past week have bought both Heavy Rain and LA Noire, so I'm pretty gutted ;_; I've recently bought a Belkin Conserve energy saver which shuts everything using a remote, could that have caused an issue?

Hold down the power button to reset it. It really sounds like thats the issue. I know you said you did, but this happens to me all the time, because family members don't know how to turn it off. For me the PS3 loses it's whatever and has to be re-set so I can put it back into 1080p as my tv is still on that.

Then again, when this happens I'm able to get audio, so it may not be your problem. Try putting your tv in 480p/i whatever is SD.

Gaaraz

Thank you, tried that but didn't have any luck unfortunately :(

(edit) can't hurt to try again, thank you! Just to confirm should I hold down the power button from stand by, or hold down the power button when the console is actually on?

Takuya

Banned

(edit) can't hurt to try again, thank you! Just to confirm should I hold down the power button from stand by, or hold down the power button when the console is actually on?

When it's off, press and hold until it beeps a few times, it'll reset the video output to default.

I have done the reset before. Press and hold the power button from standby. Are you using HDMI? Make sure the cable isn't bent or tweaked in any way. If you have the composite cables handy, you can check if it outputs in standard definition.

Mines normally on as thats when I realize I have to re-set it. So I just hold it down till it beeps. Grant it, I actually have a phat so I'm really sorry if this isn't applicable or just dosent work.

Gaaraz

Thanks again guys, unfortunately it seems if you hold down the power button from standby on the PS3 Slim it will power up briefly, then power down again... If I hold it down when the power is on, the power light flashes and then it turns off, argggh :(

Amongst the button pressing and holding I did hear the 3 short consecutive thing fwiw...

Gaaraz

Any other suggestions please? ;_;

Does the PS3 slim come with a cable other than HDMI? Wondering if I should try and find the box (annoyingly I always store all boxes in the same wardrobe, but can't see it there, the only box I can't find, argh!!)

Wazzim

Banned
Reset should work from standby on a slim.

Also, try the composite cables (SCART, yellow/red/white) that you got with the PS3.

NinjaBoiX

From it being off, press and hold the button. It'll beep like normal as soon as you press, then again after 2 secs. Now let go. Don't keep holding it, or it'll beep a third time and turn off. I don't think that is your problem though.

Another suggestion since it's hard to diagnose the problem without specifics...

Try unplugging everything from it. Including the power. Then just put the power cable and video cable back in only when you turn it on. My friend had an issue before where if he turned his console on with any thing other than that plugged in it wouldn't turn on right. Then turn it back on, hold the power until it beeps the second time. Worth a shot, if you haven't tried it already.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks again guys, unfortunately it seems if you hold down the power button from standby on the PS3 Slim it will power up briefly, then power down again... If I hold it down when the power is on, the power light flashes and then it turns off, argggh :(

Amongst the button pressing and holding I did hear the 3 short consecutive thing fwiw...
Holding it too long. From off, hold it till the second beep. Double post but hey.

There is a common problem with HDMI where the HDCP handshake data can become corrupted on the display side. Nothing you can do from the PS3 will fix it. The solution is actually to completely unplug the TV from power and wait a few minutes which will cause that corrupt data to clear. After that you can plug everything back in an it should work again.

Any other suggestions please? ;_;

Does the PS3 slim come with a cable other than HDMI? Wondering if I should try and find the box (annoyingly I always store all boxes in the same wardrobe, but can't see it there, the only box I can't find, argh!!)

Do you have a PS2? You can use it's cables.

Gaaraz

God god god damn it, so sorry for creating this thread guys - turns out it was just a setting that somehow went weird, no idea how... but it's working perfectly now :) Thank you all very much for your responses

deim0s

Sorry to bring up this thread but don't know if we have a tech support thread for consoles.

I have my PS3 Slim hooked up to a Samsung 931bw monitor (yeah, I know) via HDMI to DVI cable. After the latest update, it seemed that I have to reset the video settings (holding the power button for 5secs) for the monitor to detect a signal from the PS3. If I don't do this it'll take a couple of minutes or more for the monitor to show something.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the cables(s) on the PS3 side or the monitor won't trigger it. Previously, the monitor would just cycle on Analog/Digital signals till the PS3 is turned on.

Any thoughts about this and how to fix? Monitor or a cable problem?

Top Bottom