• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA Club Nintendo Gold And Platinum Prizes Revealed, And You're Not Gonna Like it...

Goon Boon

Banned
Game & Wario or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D? I don't see how people are complaining.

Because the sort of person who gets 600 coins a year is the sort of person who already is buying the best games for a Wii U.

And it's not like people are being entitled assholes voicing their disappointment, club nintendo in previous years have gotten some good to decent prizes before. This is directly compared to NOA of previous years.

Alec

I literally already own every single one of these.

I guess I'll sell my code on eBay? They should've just given me the option of adding a $40 code to my eShop account.

EDIT: Just saw the rewards for other countries....lol, us Americans got screwed.

Raw64life

I can't believe there are people actually defending this. I was wondering how I was going to get to platinum this year after the 3DS and Wii U respectively helped me get there the last 2 years. Now I probably wont even bother filling out those surveys and shit anymore if this is what I have to look forward to every year.

I guess I'll get NES Remix....shrugs

I figured something like this would happen considering it doesn't look like the NOA Club is adding any new physical items lately. Kind of a red flag.

The Lamp

Do people seriously buy games just for the hope of some great reward at the end of the year instead of buying games because they want to play the games?

That's insane. Spend that money on Ebay auctions for Japanese rewards or other better collector items. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Coins are nothing more than a bonus to me. In fact, I usually have more coins than I have any use for since 95% of physical rewards offered don't appeal to me at all. If there was more games offered, that would be way better than what it has been offered so far.

The most expensive reward I've gotten (or have had the opportunity to get before it sells out) was the Game & Watch Collection on DS, 800 coins. Kind of cool for the novelty but 250 coins for Smash Bros and 150 coins for Super Punch Out (which I don't have to worry about selling out either) are rewards that stomp all over that reward.

You're blissfully unaware of the problem if you think it's because people spent a ton of unnecessary money just to get something unrealistically cool at the end.

The problem is that this year we get digital games that some people probably already have (imagine the irony if they bought these games last year and used those to get coins to get a free game from the list of games they already own). Digital only prizes are lame. Some people don't like dealing with Nintendo digitally either.

Meanwhile, a couple of years ago, people got physical prizes. Like this.
platinum_statue.png

It's simply incomparable prize quality and it's amazing Nintendo has dropped the quality of their program by so much.

georly

Ugh great :/ 3 people in my house all got platinum this year, expecting great physical rewards (I never use coins on stuff I can use actual money on). What a disappointment. People must be eating up digital free game rewards and someone at nintendo figured 'hey, since people like these digital rewards so much, let's save ourselves a ton of money and make it all digital rewards.'

At least a couple of the prizes are full blown retail games :/

LakeEarth

Since I don't care about physical stuff (except love), the rewards are pretty cool. Unfortunately I only got to Gold this year, so it's kinda slim pickings.

Goon Boon

Banned
I can't believe there are people actually defending this. I was wondering how I was going to get to platinum this year after the 3DS and Wii U respectively helped me get there the last 2 years. Now I probably wont even bother filling out those surveys and shit anymore if this is what I have to look forward to every year.

Agreed. We're not shitting on Nintendo for offering digital games entirely, it's nice and some people don't want trinkets and stuff.

I'm shitting on Nintendo for offering JUST digital stuff. They've already been taking their time restocking physical prizes for normal coins, but now there's no platinum physical stuff either.

Davey Cakes

No shit I'll be redeeming Game & Wario. A Wii U game I don't have, with a dollar amount that exceeds everything else.

Though if I didn't already have DKCR for Wii, that'd be an okay option on 3DS.

Well said. I'm fine with what they're giving away because I don't have any of them but I completely understand how others are unhappy with the selection. It's quite poor by either quality (game and wario), the majority has them (super Mario bros), or nobody wants them (Zelda 2).
This is my issue with it as well. It would be cool if there was an exclusive digital game like the Punch Out one from a couple years ago. But these just suck.

Chucker

I guess I'll get Dr. Luigi? I already have most of these rewards :(

Earthbound and NES Remix would be high on the list if I didn't have them though.

I guess I'll get NES Remix....shrugs

I figured something like this would happen considering it doesn't look like the NOA Club is adding any new physical items lately. Kind of a red flag.

I can see NOA Club going all digital at some point. Maybe they can offer six new rewards per month or something.

It would suck though.

If anyone wants a Platinum code game and can trade something let me know and I'll email it over.

I also have a gold account I forgot about so if someone wants one of the gold rewards let me know and I'll ping it over.

Very disappointed no merchandise was in this years, first year I get platinum and this happens. Bad show Nintendo, very bad show.

wiibomb

if anyone is interested, I want more codes since I want 2 more of those codes, so I'll be buying the codes from anyone who doesn't want them, not very expensive though....

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was hoping for Earthbound since I figured NOA was probably not going to give us a 3D World/MK8/Galaxy/DKCTF/whatever soundtrack. So I got what I wanted (or at least, my second choice), but it's a real shame for the (many) people who wanted physical trinkets and stuff.

If they don't put some decent stuff up to buy for coins soon I suspect they will probably lose quite a few CN users. People aren't going to keep filling out the surveys if they feel like Nintendo isn't making it worth their while. I enjoy the effectively free VC games, but a lot of people expect more.

And I recommend DKCR for anyone who hasn't played it. Don't know about the 3DS version but it's very good on Wii.

Saroyan

I guess I'll get Game & Wario since I already own Earthbound and Donkey Kong.

I would have rather had another soundtrack CD or even a deck of cards rather than this though. Not really worth my time in the future to fill out all those surveys if they aren't going to give out at least some kind of collectible trinket. Combine that with them not having anything decent to spend coins on for a long time and the whole program has gone from pretty neat to who gives a shit.

If I want to buy one of these games I can do that whenever I want, a download code is nothing special it all, it just costs money. The Platinum rewards used to be cool because that was the only way you could get it.

I'm surprised at all the disappointment over the lack of trinkets and doo-dads

Personally my posters/trinkets/etc. just sit unused in a box

Welcome addition for me.

This is garbage. Absolute garbage. Is there any way to send a united message to Nintendo about this? Surely most Club Nintendo members are incredibly disappointed.

If anyone wants a Platinum code game and can trade something let me know and I'll email it over.

I also have a gold account I forgot about so if someone wants one of the gold rewards let me know and I'll ping it over.

Very disappointed no merchandise was in this years, first year I get platinum and this happens. Bad show Nintendo, very bad show.

PMD

emb

This is my issue with it as well. It would be cool if there was an exclusive digital game like the Punch Out one from a couple years ago. But these just suck.
I'd be a lot happier with this. I still don't prefer digital goods, but at least that would be interesting.

The bigger issue with these rewards is that they're all readily available. If I wanted them, I would already have them.

Kyzer

Banned
Thanks for buying all those Nintendo systems and games! Here's a reward courtesy of a our loyalty program, only achieved by those who spent thousands of dollars on our products!

11971498111217377622nicubunu_Feces.svg.med.png

I'm not disappointed the rewards are digital, but I am disappointed at the games offered for Platinum members. Game & Wario and DKCR are the only two with any real value. Everything else is a $15 or less title.

Oh well, I guess it's Game & Wario for me.

Well I was about 30 coins short of platinum, and I foolishly thought I'd be missing out. I actually feel relieved that these are so awful, because I already own the only ones I'd want to buy.
Same, I forgot to add games and only got Gold.
Do not feel bad anymore because I thought I was missing out on a statue or something, but a digital game is not that fantastic. Wario Land 2 will be mine, I guess!

LiK

I'm surprised at all the disappointment over the lack of trinkets and doo-dads

Personally my posters/trinkets/etc. just sit unused in a box

Welcome addition for me.

Physical rewards can be resold for money for games you actually want to buy. :p

Davey Cakes

I would like to see some figures on the membership, active use, and overall success of Club Nintendo.

The way they're treating it makes it seem like they actually don't think it's worth it to offer anything better.

I'm all for digital games as options but the physical stuff is nice too. And if we're getting digital only, the platinum choices should be better and more abundant or we should be able to pick 2 instead of one. Something like that.

I will say I'm a bit disappointed and I've been a Club Nintendo member since 2008, getting Elite Status every year and defending the service for giving away free stuff.

Got Platinum this year, decided to get DKCR3D. I also wanted Earthbound, but I can pony up ten bucks for that later. Pretty happy, I didn't care for the Gold-level calendar I got last year, the Platinum playing cards I got the year before were better IMO.

This is... pretty disappointing. The sad part is that I can't help but think it could be worse. They could've at least let platinum people choose two games from the list and gold gets one or something.

Guess I'll finally be playing NES Remix.

Not "you" but a general "you".
I don't get why people would do that either. But I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm not even trying to get Platinum status and I own about 90% of what's on that list. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if people collected all of those games without even trying to reach a certain level on Club Nintendo.

It's perfectly understandable to be let down by these rewards when you already own every prize they're giving away and other regions are getting exclusive things I could never purchase.

When people are complaining that the prizes you are giving away are things that some members already bought on their way to reaching the level they need to get to to get a prize, then you have a broken rewards system. At the very least offer something you know those people can't get, because this model just leaves a lot of people high and dry with no reward.

Top Bottom