• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA Club Nintendo Gold And Platinum Prizes Revealed, And You're Not Gonna Like it...

Shojx

I just wish they'd have offered something exclusive, maybe some GBA or N64/(or GCN!) titles currently unavailable outside of Club Nintendo. I'm not exactly against the digital offering (though I prefer physical rewards), I just wish that the reward was something more special rather than a bunch of games I either own or could easily purchase from the eShop if I felt like it.

I was seriously hoping for an OST CD, I'm still hoping they make these available in the near future:

cd.png

img03.jpg

I could easily overlook my disappointment if they allowed us to get these through their rewards site.

Celegus

Yeah that's pretty disappointing. I didn't go out of my way to get coins really, but I liked the useless little knick-knacks for my game room. Sadly none of the games interest me at all, so I'm not sure what to do.

This is... pretty disappointing. The sad part is that I can't help but think it could be worse. They could've at least let platinum people choose two games from the list and gold gets one or something.
I feel this way too. You have to get 600 points. Each point is about a dollar. So you have to spent at least 500 to get the status. $50 worth of games is a decent reward. Compared to reward programs like Winn-Dixie or Pet Smart, Nintendo's kind of blows.

I want something that everyone else can't obtain...

That was the point, wasn't it?

I felt like that was the original point as well. It was to give you motivation to buy Nintendo products.

Thanks for buying all those Nintendo systems and games! Here's a reward courtesy of a our loyalty program, only achieved by those who spent thousands of dollars on our products!

You spent thousands of dollars to get platinum status? I spent 230 and went over by 20 points.

Cuburt

I couldn't agree more. I never have less than a thousand coins on my account and I only ever use them for VC titles, and I get every VC title I don't own when it pops up. It is absolutely mind blowing to me that someone would actually go out of their way to pay money just to reach platinum status.

Yeah and on top of that getting VC games on the Wii means that if they ever put it on the Wii U, you still get a discount for it. If it's a NES game and you are only using 150 coins to get a game for $1 instead of $5, that is a way better value to me all around.

The absence of physical rewards for Elite statuses and the slimming down of the monthly physical rewards seems to indicate one of two things (or maybe both): either Nintendo of America is really trying to cut costs as much as possible, or Nintendo as a whole has decided to shift their cost of producing physical goods towards new things, like Amiibo. All the posters, figures, soundtrack CDs, doodads... There are costs associated with designing them, producing them, storing inventory, shipping them... and who knows how much is left over year after year.

Maybe it's just a paradigm shift as they continue to push digital sales, and as someone who no longer personally collects gaming "things," I'm all for the idea. However, like many others have already stated, it is a bit disappointing to have achieved a so-called "Elite" status and have nothing exclusive to the program to show for it. An exclusive download, or a more exciting collection of games would have been very cool.

Regardless, I'll probably get Game & Wario or DKCR3D, save a few bucks, and get on with my day. I wasn't going to shell out cash for either of them in the first place, so it's nice to get a new game I otherwise wouldn't have picked up.

Pociask

I understand the disappointment here, but it's funny because in the past I've complained about lack of digital games as an option. But.. not like this.... not like this...

Rootbeer

Banned
To be fair, those are their regular rewards, not they're Platinum rewards, and they cost two to three times as much as NA rewards.
I was being very fair. The problem is not just the Plat reward selection it's ALL reward selections across the board from NOA. But this year's Platinum choices just further exacerbated the entire problem. Not saying the other countries have far more amazing choices, but at least it's a bit more than some printed bits of paper.

The reasons have already been well articulated in this thread. One year give away a really cool collectible, and the next nothing but digital download codes? What kind of bait and switch is this anyway.

Seriously, this year of all years? When the Wii U is struggling to stay afloat, your valued customers who are still supporting these floundering platforms are rewarded in this way?

Any game I want, I buy. So digital download codes have no value to me unless it's a game you can't otherwise purchase in the eShop. I'm interested in rewards I can't get anywhere else. So yeah, I'm bummed.

alf717

I'm think of getting Wario since that should net me another $5 from the digital program.

The site keeps giving me a "Sorry this item is available for 2014 Platinum members only."

LiK

People sold even the Free game that came with Mario Kart ... you can sell a code for a game that will hardly expire any time soon

Not sure I can sell the most expensive game in that list for much. I sold my MK8 free game code for $20.

Zeeman

Hmm, already own DKCR3D. Trying to decide between NES Remix, Game and Wario, Earthbound and Minis on the Move. I already have $10 in eshop credit sitting around, but I'm tempted to use that on Pushmo World.

Nairume

Banned
Probably by not buying every game at MSRP?

Yeah, I know I didn't come close to spending $500 on games that pumped out CN reward points and I hit Platinum and was actually sitting on surveys to fill in.

DDP, free game deals, and stuff helps build up points pretty easily.

While it's disappointing that we're not getting a cool, unique physical (or exclusive digital) reward, the free games are solid.

I get nothing for buying all of the PS4/PS3/Vita or Xbox 360/One games all year.

Velcro Fly

I'm going to whine about this forever in surveys. Holy shit this is the biggest slap in the face to your hardcore fans I've ever seen.

DDP, free game deals, and stuff helps build up points pretty easily.
The thing that made me miss the status was the fact that digital games do not automatically give you the 40 points to your rewards program.
I do not see why it is not automatic. It automatically knows I bought it, so it can add the points for me.

Llyranor

I'm not going to play any of these games ever, so might as well give it away.

First quote gets a Platinum/Gold game of their choice. Please don't abuse this if you already have a reward.

JB2448

I'm not going to play any of these games ever, so might as well give it away.

First quote gets a Platinum/Gold game of their choice. Please don't abuse this if you already have a reward.

Oh, already got a reward. Never mind. I need to read.

While it's disappointing that we're not getting a cool, unique physical (or exclusive digital) reward, the free games are solid.

I get nothing for buying all of the PS4/PS3/Vita or Xbox 360/One games all year.
While that is true, I got loads of value out of PS+. My game collection is so huge thanks to it.
I would really like a Nintendo program like PS+.

Edit: If anyone is willing to give their reward, I would like Game and Wario please. :p

Davey Cakes

Hmm, already own DKCR3D. Trying to decide between NES Remix, Game and Wario, Earthbound and Minis on the Move. I already have $10 in eshop credit sitting around, but I'm tempted to use that on Pushmo World.
If you're not worried about dollar amount then I'd recommend Earthbound since it's one of the best games ever and deserves to be in more peoples' consoles.

Koomaster

Ouch! Serious ouch! I feel bad for those of you who struggled for plat this year. This was my first year actually not being platinum. Just cut back so much on gaming, and I was a little disappointed I wasn't going to hit it. I was just waiting to see what the awesome prize was this year and was prepared to be sad. But wow; don't even know what to say. I feel angry for you guys even tho I wasn't personally affected this year.

Wonder if Nintendo knew people would be upset over this or genuinely thought people would be excited over a free downloadable game?

Top Bottom