• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA conducted a poll asking where people play Switch the most. 83% said at home

Terrible poll. Awful options.

What about:

- at a friend's house
- at a relative's house
- on a long car trip
- at a restaurant
- while waiting in line or at an office
- at work
- at school
- in the middle of a cornfield
- at a rock concert
- at Burning Man

I mean their questions are a couple modes of transportation, and places you go specifically to enjoy being out at those places. Of course at home was going to win.

Meesh

To be honest I don't trust myself with it on the go. It's expensive. If it's undocked it's at home...
Does anyone in the Americas take it during a commute? Is your work atmosphere hospitable?
I work in the trades so it doesn't work for me really...
For me it does what I need. I'm super happy with it... would take it camping maybe.

bionic77

As a parent I love being able to undock and play while I wait for my kids to sleep. A lot of other obvious situations like your wife wants to watch tv or you want to veg out in bed.

It's a brilliant idea and they pulled it off with the right hardware and software.

qko

It's not about playing it at home, but rather WHERE in the home I play it. I can play it on my deck, on the toilet, or in bed. That's huge.

I don't take my ipad out of the house often either, but it'd be a worse device if it were tethered to the TV.

Yeah, that would be a good follow up question.

Philippo

Played it at home twice in the 3 weeks i had it.
I promolised mysef to only play it when commuting to work/going somewhere. It's the best feeling ever, and i don't want having to split my playtime at homd between two console.

Sojiro

I have taken my Switch over to a buds a couple of times, but outside of that I mostly play it at home. Numbers from my ass, I probably play it 60% on TV and 40% handheld. For me, it is still a relatively "new" device (even though I have had it since launch) so I am a bit more gun-shy to take it out of the house. Besides, I still have plenty of things to play through on the 3DS when I am not home.

Malakai

NoA conducted a poll asking where people play Switch the most. 83% said at home

The thread title is flat out wrong. Nintendo asked favorite place! Favorite place doesn't mean where you play the most....

Spinluck

I rarely play games away from home.

Like, if I'm out I'm most likely doing something completely unrelated to games. I'd bring a Switch with me if I was traveling or something.

Listonosh

Thought this was a pretty interesting result. This to me actually justifies Nintendo "home console first" marketing of the Switch.

That's a weird way to look at it. I exclusively play at home, but I also exclusively never play it in the dock. I literally used my dock enough times to count it on my one hand, and I've had the console since launch.

goldenpp72

They clearly should have made a more powerful home system

I use mine portable but inside the house all the time, I do go outdoors with it sometimes, but i'd say it's half the time on the dock, maybe 35 percent off the dock but in my house, and the rest out elsewhere.

MoonFrog

I play it mostly undocked and also pretty much just play it at home.

Still haven't got a traveling case for it but I want to, even if I tend to not game much on trips and what not.

That is a pretty shitty survey. I would put at home out of those options too. If they said docked or undocked, I would say undocked. If they said home or out of house, I would say out of house.

Playing at home does not rule out using it handheld.

It's the same with the 3DS and Vita. You mostly use them within the comforts of your own home.

I use mine mostly at the gym

d9G6FE8.gif

ZRVtZQ9.gif

hongcha

I only play at home because it's too bulky to take out. Also, if it's stolen it's a pain in the ass trying to get a new one and no guarantee you can re-download all your games on it because NIntendo doesn't let you deactivate a console from their website (unlike Sony).

SuperSah

Banned
I play mine 90% at home. When I take train rides to University or to see friends at a distance, it comes with me but I rarely actually use it on these journeys.

This will probably change once some SP games release since most of it seems to be multiplayer thus far.

Aters

I play my Switch at home exclusively, often undocked in my bed. Portable does not mean "take away from home" to me.

StayDead

The poll is silly because statistically you'll spend most of your time at home if not at work, so home would always win.

Mine is docked 99 percent of the time. I only undock it to take with me when I take a shit. It's too large to carrying around with me unless I'm going on a long trip. Also it's less than ideal battery life doesn't help. I still love it to death but I think that poll would be quite different if taken in more mobile focused countries like Japan where the home console market is pretty much dead.

Well, yeah,.

The big games so far either promote ling sessions of okay (breath of the wild) or are mostly played online( splatoon, Mario kart, arms), all of which are easier at home.

Archanfel

Playing at a beach house my wife, family, and I rented for a while in the summer now. I play in the car, home, porch, toilet, bed, couch, while others watch TV... etc. I bring this thing almost everywhere I go. Best console/handheld I've owned so far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a gigantic handheld fan and take them with me wherever I go. My most played consoles the last three generations have been GBA, DS, and 3DS, with PSP and Vita in the top three when they showed up. Answering the question honestly would still have me saying I play it more often at home because of simple math. I spend more leisure time here than anywhere else.

The Hermit

People who were playing outside didn't saw the poll.

I never have internet connection while undocked and my gameplay is 70-30% portable.

Malice215

Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a home console first is to keep things simple compared to how the Wii U was marketed.

Docked/Undocked should have been an option and would give a better idea of how people are using the system. I use mine mostly at home undocked, and at work on break.

I've been taking the Switch with me since launch and have had no problems since I'm used to carrying the Vita around. Just buy a good case and you're set.

Top Bottom