• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoE releases something on December 26!

I'd buy it if NoA would release it.

I just realized Harper Collins is on the package. Man they should put the A Song of Ice and Fire books on the game because that series is an instant classic (although they won't because the books are still selling and will sell even more when the series comes out).

Rolf NB

Would be better on the PSP.
1)DSlite weight distribution and overall ergonomics makes my wrists cry.
2)Wider format (and more pixels) is better for reading
3)No plausible need for second screen

I can see this being really popular, espcially when the ads hit and word of mouth. I couldn't see myself using this, I just don't think I'd want to read for ages staring at a DS screen. Not particularly comfortable.

jesusraz

Not sure why people are being negative about this idea. £19.99 seems perfect for such a little bundle of joy. I'd thoroughly recommend it to people looking for something to keep them occupied over the lull periods during the festive season!

bcn-ron said:
Would be better on the PSP.
1)DSlite weight distribution and overall ergonomics makes my wrists cry.
2)Wider format (and more pixels) is better for reading
3)No plausible need for second screen

Uh... I don't really know how this works, but does it not go into 'sideways' mode like the brain training games do, so that you hold the DS like a book? Because if it does then your arguments don't really work.

jesusraz

I find it quite intriguing that Nintendo has replaced the Cat character from the original Japanese edition with an Owl for this UK release...Wonder why?

And thanks to Shiggy for adding my synopsis to the first thread. Seems like this is to become the official thread for the product :)

jesusraz said:
I find it quite intriguing that Nintendo has replaced the Cat character from the original Japanese edition with an Owl for this UK release...Wonder why?

Quite possibly because the owl is more associated with wisdom and "bookishness" in the UK (and Europe?)

Does the cat occupy a similar position in Japanese culture?

jesusraz

Well yeah, I get the whole owl/wisdom thing, but wondered why if a cat had been initially been decided upon it would be changed. Perhaps, as you say, the cat has some special significance...

Nice, i may pick this up. This is what i love about the ds, it has the best line up of software this gen by far while offering out of the ordinary applications for a gaming machine as well. Thanks for the heads up.

rpmurphy

Dang that sounds awesome. I would love to buy one if it were to be released in NA. Has there been any discussion of this ever from NoA?

I also wouldn't mind if it ended up being also remade as DSiWare. :D

Yes Boss!

rpmurphy said:
Dang that sounds awesome. I would love to buy one if it were to be released in NA. Has there been any discussion of this ever from NoA?

I also wouldn't mind if it ended up being also remade as DSiWare. :D

I approve of this! Keep it in the background on the SD card for anytime access!

My goal is to buy the game then read One full book on it. If I like it I'll read more, if not then it goes onto my collection shelf.

Shiggy

Will the downloadable books change? In Japan this software was released in 2007 and they still get new books.

Shiggy said:
Will the downloadable books change? In Japan this software was released in 2007 and they still get new books.

If it gets regular updates of new books (Not just downloadable unlockable content like prof layton) then it`s an instant buy!

Rolf NB

Yes Boss! said:
I approve of this! Keep it in the background on the SD card for anytime access!

My goal is to buy the game then read One full book on it. If I like it I'll read more, if not then it goes onto my collection shelf.
Yeah that'll show them!

ElFly

Uh, can't this be used with the DS in its regular position?

I really don't dig the text being artificially divided in two really narrow screens.

maxmars

NekoFever said:
I'll keep Stanza on my iPhone, thanks.

Got that. Actually came here to post that.

Also, try out eReader (on iPhone) if you didn't already. The program is free and tightly integrated with eReader.com .. Everything you buy there is compatible with it. As an avid book reader it's been the best thing to happen to me in years.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
As long as we're discussing readers for other devices... PalmFiction (by some Russian developers) is a nice piece of freeware/open source for Palm devices, including the real Treos/Centros.

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
Suppose it depends on the deal with Harper Collins...You'd hope so, though, since there must be a wealth of other titles in its back catalogue.

jesusraz

Don't know if any other sources have reviewed this yet, but here's my 9/10 review.

I realise some may scoff at the final score, but it was given in context to the genre. This is the best option for people wanting a large selection of classics in one place for a cheap price. Plus it includes lots of little extras and comes with heaps of user-friendly features. Thoroughly recommended to those that wish to expand their reading base...

EDIT: Just out of interest I checked the Amazon UK site to see how well this might be selling and at the time of writing it is the 10th best selling game there! Quite surprising. Hopefully this translates to a strong chart placing on Monday's Chart-Track update.

jesusraz

I'll check when I get back from work later on (unless someone else here beats me to it).

In the meantime, any chance a mod could change the title to either make this 'The Official 100 Classic Book Collection DS Thread' or at least amend the name slightly so people actually know what the thread's about? Would be appreciated :)

Current books for download are:

What Katy Did At School
Cranford
The Black Arrow
Northanger Abbey
Agnes Gray
Silas Marner
The Aspern Papers
The Turn Of The Screw
The Water Babies
The Merry Wives of Windsor

This really is a pretty good piece of software for the money. I'm personally finding reading from the DS's bright properly white screen much nicer than the screen of any dedicated e-book reader I've seen.

Darklord

Banned
Egh, no thanks. If I read a book I like holding it, turning the pages, hell, even the smell. Reading it off a small screen sucks.

jesusraz

werewolf2000ad said:
Current books for download are:
Cheers, saved me the hassle :) And I don't have my DSL screen on full brightness, which I find is actually a little easier on the eyes. Depends on the user, I suppose.

Top Bottom