• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm already prepared to that inevitable point where the production will be rushed and they'll cut/cancel a huge chunk of the content they weren't able to develop in time.

Jarmel

Banned
Holy fuck, I'm dying over here. I trying so hard not to laugh in class. This shit is a joke. The new Duke Nukem indeed. They seriously should just make this a PS4 title and let everyone's expectations die.

making preparations
full production.

M8Q9t.gif

charsace

Square on console really has no direction. They should just pump the money they make off of all their re-releases, manga and anime in to Eidos games.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
charsace said:
Square on console really has no direction. They should just pump the money they make off of all their re-releases, manga and anime in to Eidos games.

That's where half of their future resources are being spent, I believe, from their most recent fiscal results. A damn smart move as well.

I already knew this game would take forever. Not upset.

What does piss me off is them not releasing the new images. Enough of this secretive BS SE. Versus XIII is not a fucking secret. We all know about it. Releasing new media keeps fans interested, and the response to this game so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

Happy to hear about the Italian inspired cities and that the day/night cycle will operate within towns too. Don't care about taking pictures.

H_Prestige said:
I already knew this game would take forever. Not upset.

What does piss me off is them not releasing the new images. Enough of this secretive BS SE. Versus XIII is not a fucking secret. We all know about it. Releasing new media keeps fans interested, and the response to this game so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

Happy to hear about the Italian inspired cities and that the day/night cycle will operate within towns too. Don't care about taking pictures.

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY!!!!!

ymmv

Banned
Square Enix developed games per platform (2006-2011):

DS: 14
PSP: 9
PS2: 5 (includes both FFXII and FFXII International)
Wii: 4
360: 3 (if XIII-2 is released this year)
PS3: 2 (if XIII-2 is released this year)
PC: 2

So a platform that's been comatose if not dead for a couple of years now in the west (PSP) gets just as many games as Wii/PS3/360 put together. Equally surprising, this generation is now 5 1/2 years old and yet SE has only developed/released 3 HD titles: Last Remnant (PC/360), FF 13 (PS3/360) and FF 14 (PC only so far). What a pisspoor performance.

Jarmel

Banned
ymmv said:
Square Enix developed games per platform (2006-2011):

DS: 14
PSP: 9
PS2: 5 (includes both FFXII and FFXII International)
Wii: 4
360: 3 (if XIII-2 is released this year)
PS3: 2 (if XIII-2 is released this year)
PC: 2

So a platform that's been comatose if not dead for a couple of years now in the west (PSP) gets just as many games as Wii/PS3/360 put together. Equally surprising, this generation is now 5 1/2 years old and yet SE has only developed/released 3 HD titles: Last Remnant (PC/360), FF 13 (PS3/360) and FF 14 (PC only so far). What a pisspoor performance.

Next generation let's pray for atleast 1 title and maybe 2 if the gods are good to us.

Krev said:
Contributing to a bunch of titles developed by other teams?
It sort of defeats the purpose of having a designated KH team if they're going to operate this way. I mean, we are still waiting on KH3. S-E have to resort to side games from the Osaka team to keep the brand alive. Don't you find that just a little bit ridiculous?

Look, SE had some management issues this gen. Their Crystal Tools engine was not in any serviceable state until sometime in 2008, and when it was they had to scramble all hands, including the Versus team to make up for lost time and get XIII out of the door first. After that was over development on Versus actually got started, so about 2 years and change in actual development so far.

Putting a team that had nothing to do because they had no engine to work with to work on other projects in the meantime is a sane use of resources because it beats having them sit in front of a desk twiddling their thumbs.

I like KH as much as the next guy, but I don't get this obsession with the one with the number 3 at the end of it when there have been so many Kingdom Hearts games released since the second one anyway. Also, since Versus features similar gameplay mechanics but at the same time looks overall several orders of magnitude better as a game than any KH game ever did I like to think Versus takes the place of the next game in KH series, at least in terms of gameplay which is all I care about, they can throw the characters and plot under a bus for all I care, that is not why I play those games.

Versus is going to see release next year, I am certain of it. Wait for that and put KH3 out of your mind, with the state of things there was absolutely nothing SE could have done with the team to have had a KH3 game out on home consoles by now short of cancelling Versus and you know what I much rather prefer things as they are.

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Look, SE had some management issues this gen. Their Crystal Tools engine was not in any serviceable state until sometime in 2008, and when it was they had to scramble all hands, including the Versus team to make up for lost time and get XIII out of the door first. After that development on Versus got started.

Putting a team that has nothing to do because they have no engine to work with to work on other projects in the meantime is a sane use of resources because it beats having them sit in front of a desk twiddling their thumbs.

I like KH as much as the next guy, but I don't get this obsession with the one with the number 3 at the end of it when there have been so many Kingdom Hearts games released since the second one anyway. Also, since Versus features similar gameplay mechanics but at the same time looks several orders of magnitude better than any KH game ever did I like to think Versus takes the place of the next game.

Versus is going to see release next year, I am certain of. Wait for that and put KH3 out of your mind, with the state of things there is absolutely nothing SE could have done with the team to have had a KH3 game out on home consoles by now short of cancelling Versus and you know what I much rather prefer things as they are.
I don't get the obsession with KH3 either. Are people that interested in the story and visiting the same disney "worlds" over and over again?

H_Prestige said:
I don't get the obsession with KH3 either. Are people that interested in the story and visiting the same disney "worlds" over and over again?

I certainly am not. It is gameplay all the way for me and I've always thought the level design in KH games were boxy and the platforming was terrible. So far as I care Versus is the KH formula but done right on current gen hardware.

[Nintex] said:
You'll be lucky if you get a new screenshot next year lol.

Hardy, har, har funny man. Want to make it a gentlemen's bet?

If Versus sees release in 2012 you must castrate yourself and mail the amputation to me by express courrier for my collection.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Princess Skittles said:
That would be a sad future for JRPGs.

Gamearts is already dead. It already is a sad state for the JRPG. Square is incompetent, I've never cared for tri-Ace, but in recent years have become fond of Level-5 and Gust (esp. Gust!!)

[Nintex]

If Versus sees release in 2012 you must castrate yourself and mail the amputation to me by express courrier for my collection.
I'm not going to castrate myself over a videogame, sick fuck.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

What? A gentleman's bet is where nothing is wagered.

Vinci

Danish
The company is going to destroy itself at this rate. Not having this game in full production by now is uniformly insane. By the time they get this game out, we'll have a sequel to Dark Souls on a next-gen platform.

Otheradam

You guys know when they announced this silly 3 game trilogy that none of it was actually in any state of development right? It was all smoke and mirrors- just a logo and plans for games. I doubt development was started back then on anything other than 13. They probably didn't even do any real work or development until 13 was pushed out the door.

OT: This is probably the same thing that happened with MGS: Rising, when it was announced, it was just a logo.

J-Rzez

Still in pre-production? The people working on this are probably praying that the Mayan Calendar with the world ending happens so they're not asked in Jan 2013 where this game is. SE really dropped the ball the furthest and hardest this gen. They completely and totally flubbed their two biggest franchises, FF and KH.

daffy

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Really. You think for the next mainline KH they're gonna put the same worlds in? It'll be all new characters from both FF AND Disney. There's so much potential now given all the new movies and games that have came out since.

The story isn't so bad, I like the characters well enough to enjoy it.

Jarmel said:
Holy fuck, I'm dying over here. I trying so hard not to laugh in class. This shit is a joke. The new Duke Nukem indeed. They seriously should just make this a PS4 title and let everyone's expectations die.

That's not the case.I'm positive they're just waiting for MS to offer enough cash, then at E3 2012 or 2013, Nomura will walk out on stage himself and announce the game for the 360, complete with videos, screen shots, and a playable demo running live on the system. The days of third party exclusives are pretty much over.

MS and Sony realize this and that's why they're investing so much money into their first party studios. The money they could be spending to buyout exclusives from third parties could be spent on funding brand new exclusive franchises from their own first party studios.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about vs is that FFXIII-2 will probably be out before it.

Gravijah

FTH said:
Really. You think for the next mainline KH they're gonna put the same worlds in? It'll be all new characters from both FF AND Disney. There's so much potential now given all the new movies and games that have came out since.

The story isn't so bad, I like the characters well enough to enjoy it.

I can't wait to visit the world of Cars.

Kaizer

Banned
Versus XIII coming out late 2013/early 2014 confirmed. Squenix is such a joke these days, I have zero hype for this game now. I just hope the damn thing sees the light of day.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Full Production" is an interesting term when used in conjunction with a project as data-driven as a JRPG.

Given the speed with which they are turning around XIII-2 it seems highly probable to me that every available staff member involved in CONTENT CREATION will be on that project right now in order to make its release date.

I strongly suspect that as XIII-2 comes to completion they'll simply be rolled off onto Versus with an eye to that launching around a year afterwards.

The reality is that there's absolutely no reason for them to rush Versus out the door at this point and therefore fully staffing-up both projects would make no sense. Why build two "armies" when one can get the same job done albeit over a longer time-scale?

daffy

Banned
Gravijah said:
I can't wait to visit the world of Cars.
You may jest, but it would be fun as a sort of racing minigame where you can slash other cars with your keyblade. Also Toy Story.

Dreamer RD

Photo mode? Gonna take few snaps of Stella's panties xD

Clear said:
I strongly suspect that as XIII-2 comes to completion they'll simply be rolled off onto Versus with an eye to that launching around a year afterwards.

Right. Most staff is working on 13-2 now.

Bad news anyway

Vamphuntr

Can't believe Wada tolerates stuff like that. It's been 5-6 years and it's still in pre-production? No wonder SE can't work on other franchises when a project like that occupies one of their team for so long.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
lightless_shado said:
That's not the case.I'm positive they're just waiting for MS to offer enough cash, then at E3 2012 or 2013, Nomura will walk out on stage himself and announce the game for the 360, complete with videos, screen shots, and a playable demo running live on the system. The days of third party exclusives are pretty much over.

MS and Sony realize this and that's why they're investing so much money into their first party studios.
Heh.

Vamphuntr said:
Can't believe Wada tolerates stuff like that. It's been 5-6 years and it's still in pre-production? No wonder SE can't work on other franchises when a project like that occupies one of their team for so long.

To be fair, the XIII team did ponce a lot of the Versus team to help get that finished.

Still, Jeez. This is a little bit ridiculous.

Brera

Banned
Might as well forget about this game guys.

It's going to be shit.

Stop torturing yourselves as the writing is on the wall. Why even call it FF13? Square are smoking something, and I don't want any of it!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
S-E may as well only have a single team for HD development based on their output and practices this gen.

Top Bottom