• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

Krev said:
: /
Really?
Well depends... maybe they knew it was bullshit and he didn't actually bring any screenshots, only a fistfull of cash so they'll write how amazing it looked and how the screenshots are so super hot the paper will burst into flames as soon as the screenshots are printed on it.
That's the real reason they couldn't print them.
Also I'm wondering if nocits will get calls from his cousin on that cellphone.

Oemenia

Banned
IIRC, he doesnt say pre-production, right now it could probably be worked on by a small core team getting the essentials right waiting only for XIII-2 to wrap up.

If that is the case, it could be out by late 2012 in Japan.

Cmagus

This game has dropped completely off my radar to the point where even when it comes out I simply won't care by then.Honestly SE and this secretive shit is incredibly tiring I would have more respect if they would at least keep people informed on how things are going rather than hiding crap behind doors and heaven forbid show us some screens once.We get it it's still in production I don't think people are that stupid in fact its always more impressive to see a game evolve to its final form in my opinion.

Frankfurt

Banned
Phoenix_Apollo said:
More like they got ahead of themselves and announced it way too early. They didn't spend five years in pre-production. There's nothing other than the title of this thread saying that it's in pre-production right now. Everything we've been shown so far shows that it's in far more than pre-production.

In an alternate reality, there may be four or five stages of production. In the real world, there are three. So the title is correct.

Cmagus said:
This game has dropped completely off my radar to the point where even when it comes out I simply won't care by then.Honestly SE and this secretive shit is incredibly tiring I would have more respect if they would at least keep people informed on how things are going rather than hiding crap behind doors and heaven forbid show us some screens once.We get it it's still in production I don't think people are that stupid in fact its always more impressive to see a game evolve to its final form in my opinion.
The fame got to their heads, worst of all - the fame they didn't actually contribute to as they've already fired every writer and director who square was legendary for.
Now they got a bunch of incompetent loons sitting arround who can't write coherent stories or manage development teams and show their trailers in secret theaters to fake releveance while their metaphoricalship crashes against an metaphorical iceberg.
In the old days they would've all commited seppuku already.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Another perspective about this is that by the time versus is released, the Mass Effect trilogy would've been done during that time frame, from the first title to the third, with all DLC included.

spats said:
And it'll still look like it's 6 years behind modern games.

This game should look better or equal to FFXIII and say what you want about it but it does not look 6 years behind anything that came out this gen.

eXistor

Just rename the game FFXIV already. I don't know what the hell SE is doing this generation, but if this keeps up they might as well close shop.

ZombieFred said:
Another perspective about this is that by the time versus is released, the Mass Effect trilogy would've been done during that time frame, from the first title to the third, with all DLC included.
Don't forget about Uncharted 1-3.

gundamkyoukai said:
This game should look better or equal to FFXIII and say what you want about it but it does not look 6 years behind anything that came out this gen.
FFXIII looked wooden and awkward. It's obvious people at square have no idea about modern gamedesign.

dramatis

Ahoi-Brause said:
Well depends... maybe they knew it was bullshit and he didn't actually bring any screenshots, only a fistfull of cash so they'll write how amazing it looked and how the screenshots are so super hot the paper will burst into flames as soon as the screenshots are printed on it.
Well, I don't mind the cellphone that much. FF13 could have used a screenshot function; doing tourist scenery snapping would have been a good break from BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE CUTSCENE REPEAT.

If they go one step further and make taking pictures part of a system in the game (see Dark Cloud 2's camera and invention system), then it might be interesting.
Frankfurt said:
In an alternate reality, there may be four or five stages of production. In the real world, there are three. So the title is correct.
That said, it seems like no one here knows what pre-production actually is. It's not measured by stages of production, it's measured by stages of "development". Title is incorrect.

spats

gundamkyoukai said:

First they took away our naughty words and now they're after the sarcasm. Will it ever stop? :(

dramatis said:
Well, I don't mind the cellphone that much. FF13 could have used a screenshot function; doing tourist scenery snapping would have been a good break from BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE CUTSCENE REPEAT.
It's such a dumb point to brag about though. Like it's some revolutionairy feature, when it's been arround forever already.

Cmagus

Ahoi-Brause said:
It's such a dumb point to brag about though. Like it's some revolutionairy feature, when it's been arround forever already.

Agreed but it seems this game has always been like this remember when they were going on and on about how one day we will finally get to hear his voice or the clothing being done by a designer, or the fact his shoes glow and now the cellphone /sigh.

spats said:
First they took away our naughty words and now they're after the sarcasm. Will it ever stop? :(

You can't be certain in a FF thread any more what is sarcasm , then you also have people hatting Nomura for who know what reason.

Aeana

gundamkyoukai said:
You can't be certain in a FF thread any more what is sarcasm , then you also have people hatting Nomura for who know what reason.
Should be right up there along with posting naked photos on the banometer.

Cmagus said:
Agreed but it seems this game has always been like this remember when they were going on and on about how one day we will finally get to hear his voice or the clothing being done by a designer, or the fact his shoes glow and now the cellphone /sigh.
Yeah
This game is completely missmanaged.
It's amazing how fucked their priorities are!
Just like when they announced the fabula stulta novalis cristalicum and how it's going to be their next FFVII even before even one of the games was done.
They just assumed it will sell and they will be able to reproduce the success FFVII had out of thin air.
How can a company be so poorly managed and survive?

eXistor

I'm not sure people are even expecting the game to be amazing. Square hasn't made a great game in years (the last 2 I can think of are The World Ends with You and FFXII) and while this looks to be fun, I'm certainly not expecting to be blown away. I'm expecting a Kingdom Hearts-like game; fun, but you're gonna forget about it when you finish it.

[Nintex]

Oh you and you joke thread titles GAF never change...
*clicks*

*spits out drink*

lol, never change Square Enix. The cherry on top would be a cancellation in 2032.

Kacho

This has reached extreme levels of absurdity.

This game needs to be amazing. Peoples expectations are going to be so high and if the game doesn't come close to those expectations it could be a devastating blow to Square-Enix.

The Rizza

How long has Bioshock: Infinite been in production? They are able to show a 15 minute gameplay demo so I don't see why we can't have at least a little KH3...

JudgeN said:
Maybe I don't understand but how is what he said incorrect? This generation is different because of the increase graphic fidelity that causes games to be in development longer?

Game will come out when its done, not like gamers don't have anything else to play.

I was simply mentioning that this generation IS different. The person I quoted was mentioning how "this generation is no different" ... and while I realize that he is speaking only of releases, it's a general opinion of mine that SE has not been able to keep up with the changing industry.

So really after reading this, it seems that showing the game off in 06 was a huge mistake as it didn't start production until much later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheNiX said:
Can someone explain to me what a "screenshot in real-time" is?
A screenshot of the game as opposed to a screenshot of the CG.

Square Enix is one of the few studios on earth that still puts out a lot of the latter, so they have to clarify.

The Rizza said:
How long has Bioshock: Infinite been in production? They are able to show a 15 minute gameplay demo so I don't see why we can't have at least a little KH3...
Kingdom Hearts 3 won't start development until Versus is done because it's the same team, so take Versus' release date and add 2-3+ years.

Elios83

So the latest news from the Square Enix world:

Versus XIII is not in full development but they're focusing on important features like taking pictures with a virtual cell phone.
KH3 development will start someday, somewhere, after the previous trainwreck is done, but they will include a teaser about where the story is going in KH3D, a good move considering that Famitsu readers praise the game for its story and can't wait to get more of it.
Square Enix has just realized that other developers are making HD versions of their old games.
Out of nowhere they're considering a direct port of an old MMORPG for Vita.
Fans are still asking for the FFVII remake.

I'm truly delighted :D

Gravijah

Nirolak said:

Square Enix is one of the few studios on earth that still puts out a lot of the latter, so they have to clarify.

Does a screenshot of in game CG count as a bullshot?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
PhoReal said:
This has reached extreme levels of absurdity.

This game needs to be amazing. Peoples expectations are going to be so high and if the game doesn't come close to those expectations it could be a devastating blow to Square-Enix.

If FFXIII-2 bombs, most people won't care about FF anymore.

neptunes

george_us said:
I hope this game tanks and Wada is fired.
Hahs, this company will crumble from within.

Versus better sell gangbusters or they're fucked, and after what vanilla XIII did to tarnish the brand, I hope they can pull through because it's not looking too bright.

FF used to sell pretty strongly worldwide, but I don't think it has the same appeal in west that it used to.

BobTheFork said:
It hardly matters what they call pre or full production. If they are making the game for 6-7 yeasrs then that's how long it takes. If they pretend they are only in pre-production until the last year, the game sure as heck didn't have a one year dev cycle. I think the what the heck are they doing comments are all perfectly in-line.

No, such hyperbolic drama comments really are not in-line seeing as how, if you care to, you are fully in the know, because the full development story behind FFXIII and Versus and why they were in "development" for so long is well documented. Maybe people already know this but like to act like twats anyway for the sake of glorious spectacle, because every SE news story has to have the prerequisite helping of hilarious 1930's cartoon overreaction to go with it otherwise it just wouldn't be the same, right?

Now excuse me while I... Wada whaaaaaaaaa?

overreaction.jpg

Boga, boga, boga, boga!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
Knowing Famitsu, this probably isn't too far from the truth.

The way S-E have handled this game is a complete joke. Obviously they announced the game too early, but they should have completely shut up about it once they realised this. Instead, we have this top secret screenshots/'secret theatre/only show the game to people who we can pay off' BS to string the public along about the level of progress they've made.
Ahoi-Brause said:
To be fair, it might have just been an aside, and not meant as a boast.
eXistor said:
Just rename the game FFXIV already. I don't know what the hell SE is doing this generation, but if this keeps up they might as well close shop.
I love how FFXIV has already vanished into the void.
neptunes said:
Hahs, this company will crumble from within.

Versus better sell gangbusters or they're fucked, and after what vanilla XIII did to tarnish the brand, I hope they can pull through because it's not looking to bright,
It's pretty incredible that they followed it up with XIV.
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
No, such hyperbolic drama comments really are not in-line seeing as how, if you care to, you are fully in the know, because the full development story behind FFXIII and Versus and why they were in "development" for so long is well documented.
Okay then, so what was the KH/VsXIII team doing after they finished KH2?

Strife91

Nirolak said:

Kingdom Hearts 3 won't start development until Versus is done because it's the same team, so take Versus' release date and add 2-3+ years.

In this case you might want to make that 4-6 years since it's Square Enix.

They're also gradually recording the game's voices. Regarding the recording, Nomura said that there are many scenes where the four male characters are engaged in realistic conversation, with their voices overlapping. These scenes are being recorded by having the four voice actors together on the recording session simultaneously.

Is this not something that's done all the time with voice-overs? Cause I swear it is, and he's trying to make it sound like they're doing something special here.

Aeana

matics said:
Is this not something that's done all the time with voice-overs? Cause I swear it is, and he's trying to make it sound like they're doing something special here.
Common in the west, not common at all in Japan. As usual, Square Enix thinks it's innovating when it's just completely blind to the industry.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
matics said:
Nope, voice acting is rarely done with multiple actors in studio at once.

I think it's little more common in Japan though.

Aeana said:
Common in the west, not common at all in Japan. As usual, Square Enix thinks it's innovating when it's just completely blind to the industry.
Hmm, I thought it was the other way around?

I know I've seen interviews for Monsters Inc. and The Powerpuff Girls where they talked about recording with all the main actors at once, which according to them was rarely done.

Aeana

Princess Skittles said:
Nope, voice acting is rarely done with multiple actors in studio at once.

I think it's little more common in Japan though.

Hmm, I thought it was the other way around?

I know I've seen interviews for Monsters Inc. and The Powerpuff Girls where they talked about recording with all the main actors at once, which according to them was rarely done.
It's much more common now than back then.
In the case of Japan, you sometimes get two characters recording together, but not large groups. Japanese voice recording is actually much more backward than people seem to realize. For example, animation and stuff is done before voice recording, so the Japanese actors are doing the exact same thing English actors are doing - matching up with what's on screen. That's one of the reasons why the "Japanese voice superiority" mindset seems so strange to me.

Skilletor

Aeana said:
It's much more common now than back then.
In the case of Japan, you sometimes get two characters recording together, but not large groups. Japanese voice recording is actually much more backward than people seem to realize. For example, animation and stuff is done before voice recording, so the Japanese actors are doing the exact same thing English actors are doing - matching up with what's on screen. That's one of the reasons why the "Japanese voice superiority" mindset seems so strange to me.

I often prefer JP voice acting because I can't tell it's bad, and therefore doesn't annoy me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Aeana said:

This is their real problem. They think they are like Nintendo, Rockstar or Team ICO, that they can hide away for years working on one game and for it to be cutting edge, but they don't realise that cutting edge developers don't spend all their time rendering intro cutscenes and increasing the number of hair strands on their in-game character models.

Skilletor said:
I often prefer JP voice acting because I can't tell it's bad, and therefore doesn't annoy me.

ahahaha

Ushojax said:
This is their real problem. They think they are like Nintendo, Rockstar or Team ICO, that they can hide away for years working on one game and for it to be cutting edge, but they don't realise that cutting edge developers don't spend all their time rendering intro cutscenes and increasing the number of hair strands on their in-game character models.

I hope you know in game hair in awesome .
I wish more devs would put effort into hair and clothes maybe next gen .

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Research it boyo.

Hint:
It has already been mentioned in this very thread
Contributing to a bunch of titles developed by other teams?
It sort of defeats the purpose of having a designated KH team if they're going to operate this way. I mean, we are still waiting on KH3. S-E have to resort to side games from the Osaka team to keep the brand alive. Don't you find that just a little bit ridiculous?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Krev said:
Don't you find that just a little bit ridiculous?

We all do. The management at SE is completely incompetent and most of their producers are hacks.

Top Bottom