• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Much of the discussion was about the game's event scenes.

And this is why Square-Enix has become so shit. They are more interested in the parts of the game where you aren't actually playing. This game is going to be a turd and we all know it.

Throavium

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Final Mix + will be in stores before this game will.

Final Fantasy XVI will be announced and released in stores before this game will.

Forever

Banned
I have no doubt that it will be an amazing game if it ever comes out, but if it launches with the name Versus XIII it will be dead on arrival. That name is associated with mediocrity and due to XIII-2 it will be over saturated.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Forever said:
I have no doubt that it will be an amazing game if it ever comes out, but if it launches with the name Versus XIII it will be dead on arrival. That name is associated with mediocrity and due to XIII-2 it will be over saturated.

This is kinda true. They should just name it FFXV and get it over with, no one will give a shit about the delays then.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ushojax said:
And this is why Square-Enix has become so shit. They are more interested in the parts of the game where you aren't actually playing. This game is going to be a turd and we all know it.

That's why it's such bizarre events when thinking that at this current moment, Square's biggest thing going for it for the next few years is Eidos's line-up. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for one example, has to probably be the exact opposite that Final Fantasy offers in terms of the JRPG definition, where Deus offers complete freedom and choice for the player to explore and make their own consequences in the game. Other big titles will be Eidos’s Iconic character, Lara Croft, still having a strong fanbase and recognition, and also Hitman being a potential big contender. All of this would be out by the end of 2012 and this is only some of the titles that Eidos is brining to the market in a short amount of time.

I'm just glad that Square is trying to improve their management with sharing resources between the main technical studios, and hopefully building a great development framework. They need to in order to stay healthy and not face the total disaster development cycles they have had with FF13 Versus at present.

Ushojax said:
Yeah, I can see that.

I won't say that the game will be a turd...yet...but I do find it a little disheartening that VSXIII is supposed to be similar to Kingdom Hearts' gameplay as opposed to a numbered Final Fantasy game.

Which makes me wonder...like I've said numerous times before..."Why weren't they working on Kingdom Hearts 3 this entire time!?"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What do they do all day. All week. All month? The resurgence of indie development shows what talented and synchronised teams can create swiftly, whereas a company that has been making games since the NES now has problems making one in whats fast approaching a decade. This entire company is fucked forever unless it gets a new CEO who takes a hatchet to the entire development structure, and fires a shitload of seemingly useless employees.

Xater

This can only be explained by terrible Japanese management of development, right? I have no idea how they can still be in pre-production after 5 years.

SkylineRKR

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, I can see that.

I won't say that the game will be a turd...yet...but I do find it a little disheartening that VSXIII is supposed to be similar to Kingdom Hearts' gameplay as opposed to a numbered Final Fantasy game.

Which makes me wonder...like I've said numerous times before..."Why weren't they working on Kingdom Hearts 3 this entire time!?"

Indeed, a KH3 is likely a stronger seller/has broader appeal than a Final Fantasy gaiden game.

Xater said:
This can only be explained by terrible Japanese management of development, right? I have no idea how they can still be in pre-production after 5 years.

More like they got ahead of themselves and announced it way too early. They didn't spend five years in pre-production. There's nothing other than the title of this thread saying that it's in pre-production right now. Everything we've been shown so far shows that it's in far more than pre-production.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
French said:
So, Fall 2012 ?
My guess for a while has been December 2012 in Japan and March 2013 in the West, but I'm starting to wonder if they might not just push it even later in favor of getting FFXV ready for an early next gen debut.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Extraordinarily poor use of resources and talent, from Square? Surely not.

They should just rename it to FF Versus , if it does good it can be it's own series like what they plan to do with type -0 if i remember right .

I hope this game sells well but SE need to hired more people .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gundamkyoukai said:
They should just rename it to FF Versus , if it does good it can be it's own series like what they plan to do with type -0 if i remember right .

I hope this game sells well but SE need to hired more people .
They biggest problem they face on this front is that this is also the core Kingdom Hearts team, which is why we still haven't seen Kingdom Hearts 3, since it hasn't even started development yet.

If Square Enix wants Versus as a series, they either have to give Kingdom Hearts over fully to Osaka, or they have to give Versus to someone else.

Also, since Square Enix is currently taking everyone they can find in Osaka (that's not making Kingdom Hearts 3D) and throwing them at FFXIV, they don't really have the staff size to make Kingdom Hearts 3 there unless they decide to abandon churning out MMOs, which they don't seem willing to do yet.

I mean, they're even announcing another large scale MMO this fiscal year, and I get the distinct sense it's from their Japanese studios again.

Go_Ly_Dow

I assume Versus will enter full production around this December to March since XIII-2 will be out the door within that time frame.

I remember the first real gameplay trailer for XIII ended with "in Production" and that was shown roughly a year from release. Still hoping for a worldwide release around Spring-Summer 2013.

Theonik

Not even in full production? Might as well as push it for early next gen at this point. With the rumours of new consoles on late 2012/2013 and whatnot.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I wouldn't mind one of Eidos's studios having a go of making a Final Fantasy title, in the veigns of a RPG. I wonder if they ever started on one now that if it would release even before FF13 versus? :lol:..... :(

Cartman86

Banned
This will be the FFXII of the PS3. It will take 5 years to develop. Probably release 6 months before the next gen consoles ship to stores, and the average gamer just won't care while the rest of us will be surprised at how good it is. Okay that last part is a dream.

Famassu

This can only be explained by terrible Japanese management of development, right?
No. It can be explained by

1) the game not being in development when they announced it (for the milliont time), but actually much later (2008-ish). They just announced it way too early when they didn't have much more than the initial concept (prince of a kingdom protects the last crystal other nations/kingdoms are trying to steal, tragic story, KH-like action RPG) nailed down.

2) the team first getting to know the hardware they are working with, so they can get as much out of it as they can and be as little hindered by technical limitations as possible

3) Nomura & his team having free hands to do the kind of game they want. Good for us, they want to make an ambitious game. Bad for us, that will take some time.

4) entering "full production" not meaning they are only in pre-production at this very moment

Suzzopher

I hope we get Type-0 translated whilst we continue to wait.

They really should have announced this much later. 2006 was such a long time ago now.

the_id

The average gamer will not know about this news, won't know much about this game apart from word of mouth. They won't care if this game is still in pre-production.

However, it's the fans who are getting disappointed. Initially hyped to death at every possible showing but gradually Square-Enix and Nomura is squashing any interest the fans have for this game. Its ridiculous that they're still in pre-production when other developers have produced established franchises for this generation already!

Square Enix is a sinking ship. They're out of touch with current industry and they're out of touch with their fans. They're no longer relevant in this industry and should not even be considered as one of the best anymore. Its almost borderline turning into a joke publisher/developer now.

But again, the average gamer doesn't give a flying fuck about this.

dramatis

DrewM1788 said:
Where are people getting "pre-production" from? Nomura said that they have not reach "full production" yet. Couldn't that simply mean that they don't have a full production team at this point? Didn't they have many people from the Versus team working on Final Fantasy XIII?...they could possibly now be working on XIII-2 until later this year when they'll join back on Versus putting it in full production. Considering the gameplay video shown early this year, there is no way the game should be considered in pre-production. Production has clearly begun...it's just not in full production and will be when they have their whole team working on it later this year. People are blowing that statement way out of proportion.
Being "not in full production" can mean two things: a) they are in pre-production or b) they are in alpha. In alpha, normally you'd have some basic assets so you don't have to freak out whenever you're testing mechanics and someone's coat gets caught on an invisible wall. But the unusual situation here is that yes, in the January trailer we're seeing some very detailed and good assets, which usually means they moved past alpha. Since we're still hearing about experimentation, I'm assuming that Versus is actually in alpha and not pre-production like many are assuming.

Pre-production would indicate they only designed the mechanics and haven't produced anything playable yet. Although it is possible that the Japanese game industry definition of pre-production differs from the Western one.

If most of you people are thinking this is a bit crazy, bear in mind Final Fantasy 13 had two phases of pre-production at the end which they had a very short alpha and produced the FF7AC FF13 demo, which had virtually nothing in it yet (no Paradigms, no weapons upgrade system, no Crystallium). Count yourself lucky that Versus is looking healthier, and that it's not going to have one foot in alpha while in full production.

Tl;dr Versus isn't in pre-production, it's in alpha. Change the title Kagari.

Averon

Nomura debuted three new screenshots for Famitsu's editors -- just for the editors, as Square Enix apparently won't let screens be shown to the general public. Famitsu was impressed, saying that they couldn't believe what they were looking at was real time.

This is what pisses me off the most. You don't show anything about the game to get fans excited or show there's been some progress for months at a time. The tiny sliver of media you do give up you block it from being seen besides a tiny select few (who no doubt are made to sign NDAs!). WTF?! This is NOT how you build sustain hype (or even just plain inteerest) in a title in this day and age. This isn't the 90s anymore, SE. You're no longer the big, bad 3rd party that can influence the fate of an entire console generation. SE is in their own little world while the ship is sinking around them--and they're totally oblivious to this.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Famassu said:
No. It can be explained by

1) the game not being in development when they announced it (for the milliont time), but actually much later (2008-ish). They just announced it way too early when they didn't have much more than the initial concept (prince of a kingdom protects the last crystal other nations/kingdoms are trying to steal, tragic story, KH-like action RPG) nailed down.

2) the team first getting to know the hardware they are working with, so they can get as much out of it as they can and be as little hindered by technical limitations as possible

3) Nomura & his team having free hands to do the kind of game they want. Good for us, they want to make an ambitious game. Bad for us, that will take some time.

4) entering "full production" not meaning they are only in pre-production at this very moment
Then what the hell was Nomura's team doing between 2006 and 2008?
This kind of defence doesn't make sense when an entire team hasn't produced a game in six years. Yes, they've worked on FFXIII, but that shouldn't have stolen all of their time and resources over an extended period, and if it did, that further shows that something is very wrong at S-E. What's the point of having multiple teams working on their own projects if they all need to collaborate for any project to make it out in a reasonable timeframe?
gundamkyoukai said:
FF Versus will sound like a fighting or competitive multiplayer game to the western market. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament.
FFVsXIII was always a stupid name, but now it's seeming even more stupid.
ZombieFred said:
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I wouldn't mind one of Eidos's studios having a go of making a Final Fantasy title, in the veigns of a RPG. I wonder if they ever started on one now that if it would release even before FF13 versus? :lol:..... :(
I wouldn't want to see that.
Final Fantasy is unapologetically Japanese. In an age when the Japanese studios are increasingly focused on 'westernisation', I'd like it to stay that way.
Anyway, S-E are interested. They toyed with the concept of a Western FF with the Fortress project.
Nirolak said:
My guess for a while has been December 2012 in Japan and March 2013 in the West, but I'm starting to wonder if they might not just push it even later in favor of getting FFXV ready for an early next gen debut.
This can be interpreted to mean that they'll rename this game FFXV and work at getting it ready for an early next-gen launch. It would make sense.

froliq

Squeenix is already doomed. The game probably wont even be that great for something that's been announced for so long.

froliq said:
Squeenix is already doomed. The game probably wont even be that great for something that's been announced for so long.

I think they're far away from this but I personally stop paying attention about this game all together. I just hope everything else from them going forward is in a reasonable release timeline.

Krev said:

I don't what his team was doing but here what he has been doing since 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

So he been rather busy with KH games from 2008 problem is all of them are on handheld and not KH3.
I just want them to get Versus out the way so the team can start on KH3 but still Versus is the game i looking forward to the most from SE is long while .

SkylineRKR

Thats the problem with the early announcements. The game can be great, one of the best action RPG's of this generation. But it can't live up to the expectations because fans are anticipating it for over 4 years now.

The way I see it is that the best Square Enix games actually seem to come from Eidos. Although their output is still very good on the handhelds. Dissidia 2 and TO are 2 of my favourites for 2011. A lot of them are remakes from old existing material however, so perhaps the company does have a problem with its creativity or either they are playing it very safe.

That this same company hasn't announced an FFX HD collection of some sorts yet baffles me though.

Sadist

Read OP

gN2Kf.png

With all the talk from Japanese devs about proper vision and style and marketing...... is the problem is technical proficiency and efficient production. How in the world can they have something in active production for this long with so little to show and it's not going to finish for at least a year still. I'm amazed they can do business this way.

Wazzim

Banned
Controllable cutscenes are an imrovement, too bad it took them 5 years to come with the idea. They try too much with a game that should have been released already, next gen is just around the corner.

Kagari said:
They're also gradually recording the game's voices. Regarding the recording, Nomura said that there are many scenes where the four male characters are engaged in realistic conversation, with their voices overlapping. These scenes are being recorded by having the four voice actors together on the recording session simultaneously.]

THANK GOD

I hate those games where the dialogue is so spaced out as to devoid any tension in the situation. "statement................................response...............................................response"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gundamkyoukai said:
I don't what his team was doing but here what he has been doing since 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

So he been rather busy with KH games from 2008 problem is all of them are on handheld and not KH3.
I just want them to get Versus out the way so the team can start on KH3 but still Versus is the game i looking forward to the most from SE is long while .
Actually, this is a point of common confusion.

The people making Versus and the people doing everything else are not the same group. The handheld games are all being made in Osaka while Versus is being made in Tokyo.'

Large sections of the Tokyo staff however keeps getting taken to work on projects like FFXIII and presumably FFXIII-2.

I assume "preparing to enter full production" really means that XIII-2 is nearing content completion.

However, since Square Enix wants a game out of each team every two years, that staff may have to be taken yet again to get the next game out the door unless they can manage to make mainline titles with less staff. That's their hope with their new engine, but it's yet to be proven.

It's hard to believe that this game was announced while I was in high school. I may be done with my graduate degree by the time this is in stores.

Nirolak said:
Actually, this is a point of common confusion.

The people making Versus and the people doing everything else are not the same group. The handheld games are all being made in Osaka while Versus is being made in Tokyo.'

Large sections of the Tokyo staff however keeps getting taken to work on projects like FFXIII and presumably FFXIII-2.

Yeah i know that's why i said i only know what he has been up to not his team .
For people asking or saying what has he done in last few years .
The only thing i know is some staff was taken off of Versus to help with FFXIII and most likely FFXII -2 .

If SE has 3 or 4 main people making games for them they really should get there own teams.
Even if they get a good engine up and running taking members off one project to next not good.
They should have teams of a certain amount always on staff and then hired when the game goes into full production .

Famassu

Krev said:
Well, for 2006/early 2007, the KH team was working on the localization of KHII and development of Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix (which was released on March 29, 2007). After that, at least a part of KH team has supervised that the KH games not made by them would stay true to their games. A small team was working on some pre-production stuff with Versus in 2007 already (there were some air-ship tests etc.) but, from what I've gathered, the Crystal Tools weren't "ready" until maybe late 2007/early 2008 and that's when at least the development of FFXIII really got into a higher gear. I guess that could perhaps have been the point when a bigger team started working on Versus too, at least until the point when they had to help with XIII (not sure when that happened, how big of a portion of KH team they got and if development of Versus halted completely at that point).

And Nomura himself has been busy with all kinds of projects, having a role of some kind in games like both Dissidias, 3rd Birthday, The World Ends With You and the numerous Kingdom Hearts games (Days, Coded/ReCoded & Birth By Sleep (+ Final Mix), as well as working on Advent Children Complete, which wasn't released until 2009. At least the rest of 2006, for him, was spent on the script/concepts of Versus while the KH team was still busy with KHII FM 'n stuff.

This can be interpreted to mean that they'll rename this game FFXV and work at getting it ready for an early next-gen launch. It would make sense.
This will never become a "mainline" release just like Type-0 won't. It might end up being named something else than Versus XIII, but it won't be Final Fantasy XV.

DaBuddaDa said:
I cannot fathom what the fuck the dozens upon dozens of employees working on this game have been doing for the past six years.

Seriously, when they walk into work in the morning, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THEY BEEN DOING?!

They have been doing this.

Calm the deuce down people, one offhand remark about a core team, whatever that means, entering full production and secret screen shots and people forget that Square released actual video footage of the game running this year, a very long video at that.

If I remember correctly FFXIII took a very short time going from full production to seeing release, so I think next year is still a very reasonable assumption for a release date, especially given how polished things look right now.

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
They have been doing this.

Calm the deuce down people, one offhand remark about a core team, whatever that means, entering full production and secret screen shots and people forget that Square released actual video footage of the game running this year, a very long video at that.

If I remember correctly FFXIII took a very short time going from full production to seeing release, so I think next year is still a very reasonable assumption for a release date, especially given how polished things look right now.
It hardly matters what they call pre or full production. If they are making the game for 6-7 yeasrs then that's how long it takes. If they pretend they are only in pre-production until the last year, the game sure as heck didn't have a one year dev cycle. I think the what the heck are they doing comments are all perfectly in-line.

Top Bottom