• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

Why does Nomura keep going on about aspects of the game unrelated to the actual gameplay? The way he goes on, you'd think he considers those elephant excretions of stories he makes to be any good...

Angry Fork

Is there some kind of mis translation here maybe? We saw the gameplay trailers. They're obviously in production already, they've built some worlds, some gameplay systems, characters, animations, etc. so they've already done some real work on the game. I have a feeling the pre-production stuff they're talking about is all related to the voice work, and story aspects rather than the gameplay and animating/programming etc. I think we won't see the game until fall 2012/early 2013 for sure but I don't think it's a 2014 game.

RiZ III

Angry Fork said:
Is there some kind of mis translation here maybe? We saw the gameplay trailers. They're obviously in production already, they've built some worlds, some gameplay systems, characters, animations, etc. so they've already done some real work on the game. I have a feeling the pre-production stuff they're talking about is all related to the voice work, and story aspects rather than the gameplay and animating/programming etc. I think we won't see the game until fall 2012/early 2013 for sure but I don't think it's a 2014 game.

Yea seems like a bad translation.

Rinoa

Square-Enix is probably going to hold back on Versus reveals until after FF13-2 is out, because Versus easily overshadows 13-2 in hype.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
You know, I let my ex-boyfriend deter me from playing Final Fantasy 13, since he reads rants and reviews and will just go off of that. However, I picked up the game again recently, started playing it, and found that I actually was getting into the story (as usual with ALL Final Fantasy games). The beginning was boring, yes, but the average story needs time to catch an audience. Definitely not the best, but the graphics are pretty nice (although the cute "chobit" style of previous games was a lot of the charm of older ones) and the battle system is neat. I look forward to this Final Fantasy (and 13-2), and will ALWAYS look forward to a new Final Fantasy game. Here's to developing an opinion FOR YOURSELF.

Besides, you know you want to check out the new games, regardless of negative opinion. You can either join the hate or find something to like about it. :)

*waits for someone to boo this* Ha.

Jarmel

Banned
RevySubterfuge said:
You know, I let my ex-boyfriend deter me from playing Final Fantasy 13, since he reads rants and reviews and will just go off of that. However, I picked up the game again recently, started playing it, and found that I actually was getting into the story (as usual with ALL Final Fantasy games). The beginning was boring, yes, but the average story needs time to catch an audience. Definitely not the best, but the graphics are pretty nice (although the cute "chobit" style of previous games was a lot of the charm of older ones) and the battle system is neat. I look forward to this Final Fantasy (and 13-2), and will ALWAYS look forward to a new Final Fantasy game. Here's to developing an opinion FOR YOURSELF.

Besides, you know you want to check out the new games, regardless of negative opinion. You can either join the hate or find something to like about it. :)

*waits for someone to boo this* lol

Wait what did that have to do with this topic?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Angry Fork said:
It's not uncommon to actually build parts of the game in pre-production.

It doesn't mean they haven't done anything, it just means they're sitting with a small team working on a small section of the game to test ideas and mechanics as opposed to building the main content for the game.

Is this game even coming this console generation anymore? Maybe the reason those Famitsu editors were so impressed is because it's a PS4 game.

That's probably not true but seriously, it's been 6 years get this shit done SE.

Where is this "pre-production" stuff coming from? The article says that they're focusing on the core development members now and are prepping to go into full production soon. This is presumably where they'll produce assets in mass. "Pre-production" is a far earlier state in game development as far as I know.

Nephix

I vaguely remember reading something about Square Enix promising that the Versus-team wouldn't be working on XIII-2?

I that's true, then what the hell have they been doing all these years?
Perfecting the geometry of Noctis' hairstyle?

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
Shalashaska161 said:
Is this game even coming this console generation anymore? Maybe the reason those Famitsu editors were so impressed is because it's a PS4 game.

That's probably not true but seriously, it's been 6 years get this shit done SE.

Hopefully it'll come out a few months after 13-2 has its chance to sell and be talked about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AndriaSang said:
Where is this "pre-production" stuff coming from? The article says that they're focusing on the core development members now and are prepping to go into full production soon. This is presumably where they'll produce assets in mass. "Pre-production" is a far earlier state in game development as far as I know.
Game pre-production isn't like film pre-production in that sense.

Like, you would normally build your vertical slice in pre-production, which is where you would be "trying out a lot of new challenges" so you don't spend a ton of money on staffing costs if you want to throw things out.

This might not be how Square Enix operates, but I can only make assumptions based on what normally happens.

It's like how a pre-alpha doesn't mean your game is scratched out on a piece of paper, it just means it's not feature complete, so it's not unusual to be pre-alpha only six months from launch.

Go_Ly_Dow

Angry Fork said:

I was thinking something along these lines:

dramatis said:
Being "not in full production" can mean two things: a) they are in pre-production or b) they are in alpha. In alpha, normally you'd have some basic assets so you don't have to freak out whenever you're testing mechanics and someone's coat gets caught on an invisible wall. But the unusual situation here is that yes, in the January trailer we're seeing some very detailed and good assets, which usually means they moved past alpha. Since we're still hearing about experimentation, I'm assuming that Versus is actually in alpha and not pre-production like many are assuming.

Pre-production would indicate they only designed the mechanics and haven't produced anything playable yet. Although it is possible that the Japanese game industry definition of pre-production differs from the Western one.

If most of you people are thinking this is a bit crazy, bear in mind Final Fantasy 13 had two phases of pre-production at the end which they had a very short alpha and produced the FF7AC FF13 demo, which had virtually nothing in it yet (no Paradigms, no weapons upgrade system, no Crystallium). Count yourself lucky that Versus is looking healthier, and that it's not going to have one foot in alpha while in full production.

Tl;dr Versus isn't in pre-production, it's in alpha. Change the title Kagari.

Rinoa said:
Square-Enix is probably going to hold back on Versus reveals until after FF13-2 is out, because Versus easily overshadows 13-2 in hype.

Definitely, Here's just an example from a poll in this issue:

Most Wanted Square Enix Game

1. Final Fantasy Versus XIII
2. Final Fantasy Type-0
3. Dragon Quest X

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/13/famitsu_square_enix_survey/

Shalashaska161 said:

But the game hasn't been worked on for 6 years on a full scale basis by any means.

Nirolak said:
Game pre-production isn't like film pre-production in that sense.

Like, you would normally build your vertical slice in pre-production, which is where you would be "trying out a lot of new challenges" so you don't spend a ton of money on staffing costs if you want to throw things out.

This might not be how Square Enix operates, but I can only make assumptions based on what normally happens.

It's like how a pre-alpha doesn't mean your game is scratched out on a piece of paper, it just means it's not feature complete, so it's not unusual to be pre-alpha only six months from launch.

Hmm... well I'd suggest removing the "pre-production" from the title, as I think it confuses people.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
RevySubterfuge said:
That Final Fantasy games are tight and worth the wait. Sorry you didn't get that.

They were of the same relative production values in the late 1990s and came out every 1.5 years with a bunch of non-FF stuff released too. SE is mismanaged.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AndriaSang said:
Hmm... well I'd suggest removing the "pre-production" from the title, as I think it confuses people.
Well, if I changed it to "Entering Full Production Soon", I think that would make some people think it's not in production at all, which I feel would confuse people more.

I'll add a note to the OP though explaining what pre-production is.

Grisby

Maybe Square is adding another boy band member and they have to think up a new wardrobe for him.

Eh, I'm poking fun but that pre-production deal is pretty silly.

I can't wait to see how old I'll be once this game releases. It was announced when I was 21 and I'm now 26. I figure I'll be 30 by the time I have FFvXIII in my hands.

KyteTron

Banned
Fuu said:
I'm already prepared to that inevitable point where the production will be rushed and they'll cut/cancel a huge chunk of the content they weren't able to develop in time.

Versus XIII-2.

Krev said:
S-E may as well only have a single team for HD development based on their output and practices this gen.
They got over 3300 employees.
That's not counting the chinese sweatshop they outsourced their psp ports like FFT to.

Petrichor

Just can it and FFXIII-2, let nomura get started on kingdom hearts 3 and get a team on FFXV. I really dont think Versus looks particularly appealing in any way, so I wouldn't miss it.

darkwing

they really should stop spilling info like this until there's something substantial, saying its in pre-production is just awesome

weeaboo

Takuya said:
Hopefully some more substantial 'news' during upcoming events.

Don't hold your breath, XIII-2 is the next big thing in 2011 so maybe they're gonna make us wait until another "Fabula Media Bullshit Conference" in 2012.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
teh_pwn said:
They were of the same relative production values in the late 1990s and came out every 1.5 years with a bunch of non-FF stuff released too. SE is mismanaged.

I'm not going to disagree with that at all. How would you manage Square Enix, or turn it around, so to speak?

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
Petrichor said:
Just can it and FFXIII-2, let nomura get started on kingdom hearts 3 and get a team on FFXV. I really dont think Versus looks particularly appealing in any way, so I wouldn't miss it.

YES to Kingdom Hearts 3. Just curious, what is unappealing to you about Versus? What would YOU like to see in FFXV? I'd always complain that these games are a bunch of running through corridors with tons of battles and a cutscene here and there. What sells Final Fantasy to me is a story, so I don't even care much about innovative gameplay tactics these days. Although, I do like to explore new battle systems (sometimes).

Square Enix managed to treat their fans like lower level plebs for the last 6 years and yet their fans stick by them haha

It kind of sucks that out of all the XIII games I wanted to play this one, ah well I'll live.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, let's clarify things here.

I've looked at the actual wording for what Nomura says and the sentence in question literally means "preparing to enter mass/full production." What this means is that the game is getting ready to go into beta, or the final phase of development. Speaking with some people who actually know about game development, they also agree that this is the case AND the developers for Final Fantasy XIII said the exact same thing before they also went into beta.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:

I've looked at the actual wording for what Nomura says and the sentence in question literally means "preparing to enter mass/full production." What this means is that the game is getting ready to go into beta, or the final phase of development. Speaking with some people who actually know about game development, they also agree that this is the case AND the developers for Final Fantasy XIII said the exact same thing before they also went into beta.
That's a massive difference.

So it can presumably be played start to finish.

Verendus

Banned
I'm not expecting this game until late 2012 at the earliest and believe we're more likely to get it around mid-2013 in the West. If it releases in that timescale, cool. If it manages to release earlier (think early 2013 in the West) then amazing. As long as it doesn't get pushed beyond that, it's fine. Beyond that? Well then, it would be time to be upset.

I do for some reason believe we should see it in the next fiscal year because it seems to make financial sense for SE. That's about the only reason I have for believing in a late 2012 or early 2013 release date.

Morkins

Banned
Kagari said:

That doesn't make any sense unless they have completely different definitions of the stage of development that the rest of the world has...

In the interview he states they have a smaller team of key members working on the game. That is Pre-Production/Early Pre-Alpha(proof of concept stage, creating a vertical slice and testing out functionality). You cannot build a game even to Alpha stage without a full sized production team that is able to mass produce assets and build content. Full-Sized Production = Pre-Alpha or later. Alpha = Content complete. Beta = Final Stages of bug fixing.

He specifically stated that they don't have a full team on the game yet, so they aren't even anywhere remotely near Alpha yet. They may be in Pre-Alpha, but they are still in early Pre-Alpha.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Complete horseradish, wasn't the Final Fantasy XIII suppose to move over by a cubicle and help them out? Oh wait... I guess thinks don't go originally as intended when pull a sequel of Final Fantasy XIII out of the hat...

Even then, that sequel is the content that was left out of the initial game. lol

Everybody said they didn't want to pay for DLC, Square listened, they are releasing it in another form: your lovely Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Whatever, I'll buy it to complete the story, but I want the initial novel translated in English, and a freakin Final Fantasy VII Remake, c'mon everyone is curious as George the monkey about it. When they pop the original Final Fantasy VII into the Playstation CD tray, and play it, their eyes bleed and they fall into comatose. It's a shame they can't experience the great story, game, etc.

Just give me my Final Fantasy VII Remake!!

SOLDIER

Kagari said:

But if that were true, that would mean GAF preemptively lost their shit over a mistranslated comment.

And that just can't be true.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:

From Visceral Games' lead programmer.

codecow said:
At many places:

alpha = feature complete
beta = first build with zero open bugs in database
I don't think either of these apply to Versus.

Momo

Banned
RevySubterfuge said:
Pretty much true. I'd say to stop waiting, but that'd be ineffective. Maybe there's something we all don't know yet.
Stop making excuses for squarenix's ineptitude.

Morkins

Banned
Nirolak said:
From Visceral Games' lead programmer.

I don't think either of these apply to Versus.

If it does apply to Versus, then I must say that they have the most impressive group of "key members" that I have ever heard of.... If they managed to even reach Alpha without a full production team they would be the most impressive team of "key members" ever.

Top Bottom