• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-caffeine GAF: How the hell do you survive the mid-afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I snack on things and drink lots of water or get up and walk around for a bit.
If that doesn't work I hover between asleep and awake until I go home.

Xando

I snack on things and drink lots of water or get up and walk around for a bit.
If that doesn't work I hover between asleep and awake until I go home.
Yeah walking for a few minutes is always good for me. Also opening the windows and letting in some fresh air helps me a lot if i get a bit tired.

How old are you, OP?

I mostly drink water and try to have a good sleep (6-8h) and then i have no problems getting through the day.

I'm 27, but I've had energy issues as long as I can remember. High school was pure torture. College was a little better because I usually spaced out my classes so I had time to rest. Now I work an office job as a tax preparer.

I'd like to think I eat pretty well; I almost never eat fast food and usually only drink 1 soda per week as a treat. I drink a lot of water and usually to get 7-8 hours of sleep. My level of fitness fluctuates throughout the year, but I haven't noticed it making in difference in afternoon tiredness. I'm 5'11 and weigh between 135 - 140 lbs.

Do you notice any difference in your energy levels on days when you have a salad? Like other people have mentioned, it could be due to blood sugar fluctuations, if it's not the caffeine wearing off.

No I haven't noticed a difference. On long workdays the salad is sometimes worse because I'll be starving within a couple hours (if I plan ahead and have a mid/late afternoon snack ready then it's ok). I have a really fast metabolism.

I drink a minimal amount of caffeine in the afternoon, much more in the morning. To fight that midafternoon crash, I wait till 2PM to take my hour lunch break (9 to 5 shift, eat my meals at my desk). I go to my car and take a 20 min power nap. Works like a charm for me.

commedieu

Banned
I just do. Sometimes tea. But it's because I like the flavor, not that I need a caffeine boost. You caffeine folks are weird.

This is me with a 2 month old child too. I just don't get where all your energy is going?

Xando

I'm 27, but I've had energy issues as long as I can remember. High school was pure torture. College was a little better because I usually spaced out my classes so I had time to rest. Now I work an office job as a tax preparer.

I'd like to think I eat pretty well; I almost never eat fast food and usually only drink 1 soda per week as a treat. I drink a lot of water and usually to get 7-8 hours of sleep. My level of fitness fluctuates throughout the year, but I haven't noticed it making in difference in afternoon tiredness. I'm 5'11 and weigh between 135 - 140 lbs.

No I haven't noticed a difference. On long workdays the salad was actually worse because I'd be hungry again within a couple hours. I have a really fast metabolism.
Do you have a lot of fresh air from where you work? I noticed this a lot in my school days and sometimes on the job but when i get like 5 minutes of fresh air I'm usually back to being completely energized.

Drink Red Bull

Edit: oh shit i thought op meant coffee

Personally I am talking about coffee, but since other people drink tea or energy drinks I just used the umbrella of caffeine. I really thought this was a common issue, namely because pretty much every adult I know drinks 1-2 cups of coffee/tea every day.

Do you have a lot of fresh air from where you work? I noticed this a lot in my school days and sometimes on the job but when i get like 5 minutes of fresh air I'm usually back to being completely energized.

Kinda. The bathroom in my office complex is located in an outside hallway. And since I drink a lot of water I pee rather frequently, so I get to walk out there and get some fresh air throughout the day.

My mid-afternoon narcolepsy existed long before I started drinking coffee (started when I was 17 or 18; started drinking coffee in my late 20s). In the 5-7 years since I started, I've almost never found caffeine to be much of a stimulant (except in large fast doses like an energy drink), and I can drink a cup before bed without issue.

Anyway, when I am feeling sleepy at work, I go make a cup of coffee— I like the flavour and doing something away from my desk helps to wake me up. I have a little hand grinder and an Aeropress and everyone looks at me funny when they go to the shitty Keurig machine. Whatever.

I also can't listen to podcasts, spoken word puts me to sleep if I'm the least bit tired.

Firemind

Coffee has a laxative effect so I don't drink coffee. Last thing I want is stink up the place while making noises other people can hear.

it's not that bad. I used to be addicted, but I quite cold turkey. Had some bad headaches initially but now I'm fine. I don't even have that crash that I used to get around 1-3

rapid32.5

Lots of water with B vitamin complex does the trick, best utilized with some food. I only drink coffee in the morning to wake up. late in the day it's pretty much useless. Green tea also a good substitute for an afternoon boost.

No I haven't noticed a difference. On long workdays the salad is sometimes worse because I'll be starving within a couple hours (if I plan ahead and have a mid/late afternoon snack ready then it's ok). I have a really fast metabolism.

Have you been to the doctor about this? Seems like a condition. Thyroid related?

The Lamp

I don't get drowsy in the afternoon because I never got a caffeine habit, I eat decently and get at least 7 hours of sleep. I work a full time job and I finished my engineering degree without drinking a single sip of caffeine (I don't drink soda, energy drinks, or coffee). If you don't get into a habit, your body doesn't rely on it, so I don't nap or need caffeine to get through a 17 hour day.

Magwik

Banned
It takes about 2 weeks(?) to break caffeine addiction?
I used to be horrible with caffeine though.
Wake up? Need a pop
Lunch? Pop
Dinner? Pop

When I had my old job I was drinking 3-4 bottles of coke a night.

I recently broke out of it after changing my diet to intermittent fasting and going back to the gym, but after the time passed I was floored at how I am able to go a day without even thinking about needing caffeine. It's definitely related more to your diet than anything else.

pee-wee-quotes-youve-definitely-used-in-real-life-crack-is-whack

best i've ever experienced, regardless of my level of caffeine dependency, is a 10 minute walk every 2ish hours or so.

long enough that you can shake it off, think through whatever's on your mind, and generally come back online. short enough to do within most sane workplaces acceptable break time.

plus, 10 minutes of light cardio x2-3 a day is hard to call 'bad for you'.

Cardio helps with getting some energy in the afternoon. I haven't had caffeine in over 5 months now. I hate coffee and tea. I also don't drink soda at all. The last soda I have had is over a year ago.

Marvie_3

Banned
best i've ever experienced, regardless of my level of caffeine dependency, is a 10 minute walk every 2ish hours or so.

long enough that you can shake it off, think through whatever's on your mind, and generally come back online. short enough to do within most sane workplaces acceptable break time.

plus, 10 minutes of light cardio x2-3 a day is hard to call 'bad for you'.
I usually do this around 3pm every day. I just leave my office for a bit and walk for a bit. Gets me moving around and helps me refocus for the rest of the day.

cress2000

My tolerance to caffeine builds so quickly it does nearly nothing (beneficial) to me after even just a few days of using it. Increasing the dose just turns me into a restless mess. If it worked for me on a regular basis I could see it becoming a habit.

Hydrus

I'm going on two weeks without caffeine and I'm finally getting over the withdrawal phase. First week was tough. Had bad headaches everyday, no energy, sleepy... But I'm starting to feel great now! Been sleeping better, more energy during the day. I'm only drinking one caffeine free coke a day. I'm slowly getting off soda, and even lost some weight! It takes sometime for your mind and body to adjust, but man it feels good! Also the caffeine free coke has helped me a ton with quitting soda, which is nuts because I'm a lifelong soda drinker.

Ecotic

I have never experienced a feeling of alertness from caffeine. The only two things that ever affect my energy level are if I've had enough sleep, and whether I'm hungry or not. Coffee only ever leaves me with a queasy, dizzy feeling.

Rad-

Coffee doesn't make me less sleepy as I'm energized even without it but I have noticed coffee helps my thinking speed. When I drink coffee I get ideas much faster and my brain just runs at a higher level so to speak. So I guess it energizes my brain even if I see no difference in my body.

Manzanas

Neo Member
If you have a desk job, maybe its just the fact that your sitting around doing nothing. I don't mean that in a your not doing your job way, I mean your just sitting all day.

ngower

I've had to give up caffeine on medications and things of that sort before, and in that moment you notice how important it is not to over-eat, to eat well, to stay hydrated, to get a full night's sleep, etc....but that said, I do think for some people who do more tiring tasks (e.g. being in grad school and reading all the time) caffeine can be a life-saver.

To those who don't have caffeine, what do you guys do for a living? I'm a preschool teacher and afterwards I need a cup of joe because I'm drained.

Famassu

I've had to give up caffeine on medications and things of that sort before, and in that moment you notice how important it is not to over-eat, to eat well, to stay hydrated, to get a full night's sleep, etc....but that said, I do think for some people who do more tiring tasks (e.g. being in grad school and reading all the time) caffeine can be a life-saver.
I did a few 12-14 hour days per week at the University for months on end at one point without any source of caffeine. And this was with max 4-5 hour sleep every night except weekends. You'd be surprised what the human body is capable of enduring when one has to & gets accustomed to it.

sleepnaught

I got rid of caffeine completely and feel tons better for it. No more acid reflux and afternoon crashes. My job is mostly labor so not hard to stay awake.

wedca

It can take ~12 hours to fully metabolize caffeine. You won't be feeling it but it can adversely affect the quality of your sleep.

Drinking coffee in the afternoon is likely making your sleep worse which is making you even more prone to feeling sleepy the next afternoon especially since that appears to be a natural part of your circadian rhythm even when you didn't drink coffee.

I think the suggestion of getting out of the office and taking a 10-15 minute walk is a good one, it'll give you a little mental refresh to get out in the fresh air and get your blood pumping a bit as well.

The 3pm slump isn't that hard to push through, maybe a small snack or something if it's particularly bad. But people who become caffeine dependent generally need caffeine to deal the morning, and sometimes the afternoon as well. Kicking it might be a pain for the short term, but will be beneficial.

i just don't eat much at noon, most of the time it's just fresh vegetables and fruits, uncooked! (apples can give you more energy than cafeine) It's only if i eat a lot, like a steak or something, then the digestion hit in the afternoon and i get sleepy

i never drink coffee, never liked the taste (and i don't like hot drinks in general, even if tea is pretty good, i don't like the feeling of it)

I'm with you OP.
I don't drink coffee and stopped drinking soda for months now. Mostly drink water all day (with the occasional light lemonade). I eat light during lunch as well.
When 2pm hits, I hit a brick wall and usually pass out during my last break at work.

KonradLaw

I'm with you OP.
I don't drink coffee and stopped drinking soda for months now. Mostly drink water all day (with the occasional light lemonade). I eat light during lunch as well.
When 2pm hits, I hit a brick wall and usually pass out during my last break at work.

If you can't take naps or drink coffee I've heard standing desk does wonder to combat that 2pm collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom