• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-caffeine GAF: How the hell do you survive the mid-afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Drink lots of water , eat fruits . Gets enough sleep

Nap if you can. Feel lethargic go for a walk.

If I'm having a bad bad day through lack of sleep etc then I find sugary stuff helps but that might be as bad as too much caffiene

rainz

Splash some cold water on yr face in the bathroom. Seriously.. Has saved me at work numerous (mostly hungover) times..

Myriadis

That's what I'm wondering too. I don't drink coffee but lots of tea. I go to the gym in the morning. Even go for a walk every break. Yet I have a massive problem staying awake at my desk around 1-2 pm and it doesn't matter if I sleep for 6 or 8 hours. Sometimes it's so heavy that my entire body feels numb.

Strange thing is that it's not always the case. There are weeks where I have no problems with that.

To those who don't have caffeine, what do you guys do for a living? I'm a preschool teacher and afterwards I need a cup of joe because I'm drained.
I work in a mental health hospital, which can be quite stressful. But I don't turn to coffee or other drugs to relax me. Walking around London, or going to the cinema are more my thing.

Ty4on

I drink coffee everyday, but a few years ago I basically stopped drinking afternoon coffee and only drank in the morning.

I get that same low sometimes, but I never felt like coffee fixed it, rather doing something more engaging. Getting a good night's sleep also seems to keep it at bay.

If you can I'd maybe try to take a nap at that time. If not you can maybe delay your coffee to delay that low till you get home.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Every day, usually between the hours of 2 - 4pm, I get unbelievably sleepy. My energy quickly drains away. Motivation and productivity hit rock bottom. I have to fight against the urge to close my eyes because I know I'll start nodding off at my desk if I do. I know I'm not unique in this, and that's why so many of us turn to coffee/tea/energy drinks to power through the mid-afternoon drowsiness.

During tax season I drank coffee basically all day and it was giving me shaky hands and making me feel strung out by the end of the day, so I haven't drank any since the deadline. But I'm back at the office today and goddamn I'm dying here. As soon as ~2:30pm hit I got so tired I lost all motivation to work.

So that's why I gotta know: How do you non-caffeine people function? Do you not get super drowsy in the mid-afternoon like the rest of us? Or is there some secret to powering through it naturally? Are you all on coke/meth?

Well if you're already a caffeine user, it takes nearly 2 weeks to get off of it. But it's really not that bad for you. Definitely in a different realm of wondering how sober people make it to lunch without mimosas.

I'm equally baffled by the people in here who can make it through an entire workday with zero caffeine, and by the people who say that coffee has no effect on their energy. Half a cup of coffee makes me feel wide awake; a whole cup of coffee makes me feel like I can run a marathon.

Have you been to the doctor about this? Seems like a condition. Thyroid related?

I've never specifically talked about it because I figured it was normal to get really tired in the afternoon. My doctor takes blood samples and has them tested for a variety of stuff every year, so I'm guessing a thyroid issue would have come up if I had one?

If you have a desk job, maybe its just the fact that your sitting around doing nothing. I don't mean that in a your not doing your job way, I mean your just sitting all day.

I get what you mean but I move around quite a bit; walking to the printer, walking to the file room, walking to the front area when clients come in, walking to the water cooler, etc. I'm rarely sitting still for more than 15-30 minutes at a time.

i just don't eat much at noon, most of the time it's just fresh vegetables and fruits, uncooked! (apples can give you more energy than cafeine) It's only if i eat a lot, like a steak or something, then the digestion hit in the afternoon and i get sleepy

i never drink coffee, never liked the taste (and i don't like hot drinks in general, even if tea is pretty good, i don't like the feeling of it)

Hold the phone. I wanna see some receipts for that apple claim.

The withdrawals combined with the body crashing mid-afternoon is rough.

Adjusting to non caffeine lifestyle takes time after being dependent on it.

After going caffeine free, it took about a couple weeks before overcoming it in my experience.

Keep it up.

I wish I could go two weeks without it to be free of this nightmare

This tasty, hot, refreshing nightmare

Stopped drinking coffee years ago but the other day I was literally falling asleep on my chair at work due to sleep deprivation and I said you know what, let me get a cup of coffee. Got a black vanilla hazelnut from Al Van Houtte and it was fucking amazing. Both the taste and the effect. Sadly I can't make it a habit for medical reasons. But god damn, now I remember... and I need to forget again.

Parch

Caffeine isn't helping you stay awake like you think it is.
I always felt coffee was just a morning wake-up thing and not effective as a stay awake thing. If anything, drinking caffeine all day is just a habit. A bad, addiction habit.

I never had a problem quitting, but I wasn't using as much as some people. I would think a gradual withdrawal would be most effective. Cut back serving size. Stop drinking it later in the day. Then once a day. Then quit completely. Quitting cold turkey is brutal, but gradual withdrawal over a couple of months should be a lot easier.

XOMTOR

I'm equally baffled by the people in here who can make it through an entire workday with zero caffeine, and by the people who say that coffee has no effect on their energy. Half a cup of coffee makes me feel wide awake; a whole cup of coffee makes me feel like I can run a marathon.

Why sweat it OP, it's not like drinking a few cups of coffee a day is bad for you anyway. I drink tea and I'm the same as you; without it I feel my energy level wanes in the afternoon. I drink tea because I enjoy it not necessarily because of the energy boost.

I think it's perfectly normal you are sleepy. It's related to the circadian rhythm and we usually get sleepy around 1-4pm depending of the lifestyles (when you wake up, lunch, etc).

dogstar

Banned
This. Caffeine isn't helping you stay awake like you think it is.

Yeah, if anything it makes me feel more dopey.... I'll sometimes have a lunchtime coffee, once or twice a week, as I love the taste, but I never feel it bucks-me-up; quite the opposite.

A strong coffee or two makes me feel worse than a double whisky... not that I would do that at lunch time ;)

mikeGFG

Banned
I recently went cold-turkey on caffeine.

That first week is the roughest. Within a half hour of missing your first cup of coffee (or pre-workout if you're a gymrat) you get irritable, exhausted and sapped of any motivation.

Now, a few weeks off I can say that there is no mid-afternoon slump. Once that dependence on coffee was gone, my body adjusted to the work day. Some days are obviously more demanding than others, and I'll slam a protein shake and eat an apple if I need a pick-me-up.

Basically, not being addicted to caffeine means that when late afternoon hits, my energy level doesn't drop like that.

I occasionally get caffeine from chocolate, soft drinks, or sometimes even coffee, so I'm not totally avoiding it, I just don't consume enough of it that I miss it when I don't.

jph139

I drink nothing but water and I get post-lunch drowsy, too. Full, relaxed, warm... definitely a minor crash, so I get that.

If I get a full 8 hours it's not too bad - I just need to make sure I stretch my legs more often and don't stagnate too long.

If I was up too late, though, I can barely keep my eyes open. Absolute sleepiness. Mostly you just have to suffer through it... punishment for my hubris.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fast or simply avoid carbs for breakfast and lunch if you don't want the blood sugar drop-induced sleepiness.

LordKasual

Banned
Every day, usually between the hours of 2 - 4pm, I get unbelievably sleepy. My energy quickly drains away. Motivation and productivity hit rock bottom. I have to fight against the urge to close my eyes because I know I'll start nodding off at my desk if I do. I know I'm not unique in this, and that's why so many of us turn to coffee/tea/energy drinks to power through the mid-afternoon drowsiness.

Psychoactive drugs alter your brain chemistry. If you use them to the point where it becomes habit, sometimes it becomes hard to remember what it was like before your body became accustomed to them.

Just slowly cut back on the caffeine, and your natural energy levels will come back. Your body has become accustomed to the caffeine fix and has developed an equilibrium around it....methinks.

In the meantime, try replacing the actual drink with something else that tastes good and feels similar. Tea is a good idea.

And get a full night's sleep. If you're like me and don't sleep too well...find a way to sleep well. It makes all the difference in the universe.

Just don't be like me and start taking ZZZQuil, because then your body will become accustomed to that too. :(

Parch

Basically, not being addicted to caffeine means that when late afternoon hits, my energy level doesn't drop like that.
That's probably it. Caffeine is the cause and not the cure. It's the addiction that causes afternoon energy drain. Without the addiction, there is no energy drain.

Wollan

I limit myself to two cups of coffee before lunch and I'm fine with that.
I had problems sleeping at night as I used to have five-eight (now I would probably start to feel unfocused at three-four).

If I sleep too little I get very tired somewhere around that time. But if I sleep decently like I usually do, got no problems whatsoever. I only drink water.

If I eat too much at lunch it can create a bit tired feeling though. I generally eat fairly lightly.

Never mind the afternoon, how the hell do you even get out of bed without the sweet promise of coffee!?
With the help of one of those wake-up lights that simulate a sunrise. Gradually lightens up and once the time is to wake up, it puts on radio.

Really made a massive difference for me. Hated mornings before I started to use it but now they actually feel pretty comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom