• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal Regionals 10 | Fighting game tournament | March 24-25

Lulubop

Man that's fucking depressing. Even if this didn't take place during NCR, I don't think it would be any different. Would the FGC(excluding the top players are who are competing of course) go to a E-Sports event like MLG and pay to be a spectator? I don't mind doing that, but I think I'm in the minority. So I don't expect the crowd to be any different for SCV and MK. And although I do think Capcom games would garner a much bigger audience, it would still be small compared to StarCraft. Its best selling point would probably be bringing in 10k+ stream monsters.

BTW, Justin still has MK and SCV(?) lined up. Don't know if he plays SC, but if he can win MK then it would all be worth it as he'll come home 12k richer. That's probably how much it cost to put together a major like NCR.

I don't think he has a chance of winning MK tbqh.

To be fair, the communities for SC, KOF and Mk aren't exactly huge -- especially in Ohio.

This has nothing to do with the Ohio community. MLG is giving away $550 for 7th place, and $6000 for first place and yet still can't manage 30 players while NCR has double if not triple the number of players. Where only 1st to 3rd get paid, and 1st probably won't even hit $1500.

It's basically saying that it isn't about the money, and you can't buy the fgc with money. NCR has been around a long time and has respect from the community.

It seems a lot of top players(especially those of the FGTV house) really are done with SF4. The game still has a lot of entrants(almost 200 I think)) and a $1000 pot bonus. Despite that a lot of big names won't even register to play it lol.

As for MLG, what exactly do they get out of these fighters anyways? No offense to fans of these fighters, but they're not going to bring in much of a audience, live or via the stream. And they may even struggle to find players, KOF numbers are pretty pathetic. I'm just curious how all this works.

It seems a lot of top players(especially those of the FGTV house) really are done with SF4. The game still has a lot of entrants(almost 200 I think)) and a $1000 pot bonus. Despite that a lot of big names won't even register to play it lol.

As for MLG, what exactly do they get out of these fighters anyways? No offense to fans of these fighters, but they're not going to bring in much of a audience, live or via the stream. And they may even struggle to find players, KOF numbers are pretty pathetic. I'm just curious how all this works.

The original plan was to always get Street Fighter 4 and Marvel, but after Capcom said "no" they decided to go after the other games and try to blow them up.

The problem is that America is pretty much Capcom based. At the end of the day even if the other games are "better" the U.S will always prefer Capcom games, and that's something MLG just doesn't understand.

Which is pretty damn funny because they keep telling the FGC "We've changed, we understand you guys now", but apparently they haven't.

As for top players dropping SF4, no one dropped that shit. It's just like riding a bike a this point. No one no longer yearns to go out and ride their bikes when they are in their 20's and 30's, however if they had to they still can. So at the end of the day everyone is still going to enter SF4 tournament, even though no one practice hardcore. Which was pretty much how CVS2, Third Strike and Marvel was after 2005.

Vice

This has nothing to do with the Ohio community. MLG is giving away $550 for 7th place, and $6000 for first place and yet still can't manage 30 players while NCR has double if not triple the number of players. Where only 1st to 3rd get paid, and 1st probably won't even hit $1500.

It's basically saying that it isn't about the money, and you can't buy the fgc with money. NCR has been around a long time and has respect from the community.

I was referring to the crowd watching. The thing is, no one in America cares about the games they have much and as a result no one is going to show up to watch someone play SCV or MK9. Even players don't get too into those games in America, compared to SF, Marvel and even Tekken.

alstein

How many of those NorCal entrants could take 8th in a major international tourney? Unless you're winning your locals, the bonus pots don't matter.

The original plan was to always get Street Fighter 4 and Marvel, but after Capcom said "no" they decided to go after the other games and try to blow them up.

The problem is that America is pretty much Capcom based. At the end of the day even if the other games are "better" the U.S will always prefer Capcom games, and that's something MLG just doesn't understand.

Which is pretty damn funny because they keep telling the FGC "We've changed, we understand you guys now", but apparently they haven't.

As for top players dropping SF4, no one dropped that shit. It's just like riding a bike a this point. No one no longer yearns to go out and ride their bikes when they are in their 20's and 30's, however if they had to they still can. So at the end of the day everyone is still going to enter SF4 tournament, even though no one practice hardcore. Which was pretty much how CVS2, Third Strike and Marvel was after 2005.

Yeah I know about that stuff about Capcom turning them down. I'm just wondering if they really think getting these fighters will bring in the rest of us? They can't actually believe that, can they? As you said, American FGC is pretty much just Capcom games and we have other games to but if these other fighters ever had events of there own, nobody would care. We saw how the main stream at Final Round peaked at 25k with Marvel and stayed at 19-20k with SF4 while the dedicated MK stream was around 1k I believe.

As for SF4, I'm just saying that because there were a lot of names I didn't see mentioned in the OP like F. Champ and Mike Ross. Are they doing on site registration or did they really skip SF4 altogether.

How many of those NorCal entrants could take 8th in a major international tourney? Unless you're winning your locals, the bonus pots don't matter.

The tournament had about 24 people. If you win your first 2-3 matches (depending on if you had a BYE or not) you're already in the money. If you lose your first match you're about 2-3 matches out once again.

Basically first round there are 12 winner and 12 loser. Then the 12 loser play so that kicks out 6 people.

So as you can see it goes from 24-18-12 in a matter of 3 matches. That's why someone like Justin who couldn't make it to top 8 at Final Round make top 8 at MLG.

It's a lot easier to make top 8 at MLG then compared to Final Round. And I can guarantee you it's Now winning is another story since you have to beat the best, but I wasn't talking about that now was I?

Obviously wining MLG is going to be harder than winning NCR since the best player are there in guys like Bala, Romance, Reynald, and Mr. KOF. However that still leaves 4 spots for a total of 20ish players. Let say you're lucky and you don't draw one of those 4 in the first round you already double your chance of making the money since progressing in winner makes your steps twice as short. Now if you were to get unlucky and run into one of those 4 beast in the first round you're still only looking at 3-4 matches to get $550.

As for SF4, I'm just saying that because there were a lot of names I didn't see mentioned in the OP like F. Champ and Mike Ross. Are they doing on site registration or did they really skip SF4 altogether.

People always register late. You're talking about a community that run tournaments 2-3 or even 4-5 hours late at times here.

Vice

The tournament had about 24 people. If you win your first 2-3 matches (depending on if you had a BYE or not) you're already in the money. If you lose your first match you're about 2-3 matches out once again.

Basically first round there are 12 winner and 12 loser. Then the 12 loser play so that kicks out 6 people.

So as you can see it goes from 24-18-12 in a matter of 3 matches. That's why someone like Justin who couldn't make it to top 8 at Final Round make top 8 at MLG.

It's a lot easier to make top 8 at MLG then compared to Final Round. And I can guarantee you it's Now winning is another story since you have to beat the best, but I wasn't talking about that now was I?

Obviously wining MLG is going to be harder than winning NCR since the best player are there in guys like Bala, Romance, Reynald, and Mr. KOF. However that still leaves 4 spots for a total of 20ish players. Let say you're lucky and you don't draw one of those 4 in the first round you already double your chance of making the money since progressing in winner makes your steps twice as short. Now if you were to get unlucky and run into one of those 4 beast in the first round you're still only looking at 3-4 matches to get $550.

People always register late. You're talking about a community that run tournaments 2-3 or even 4-5 hours late at times here.

I don't think the cost of travel is worth to go to an MLG event in Ohiot unless you get a top 3 spot. For the majority of the people going to NCR it only costs them a couple hundred dollars at most for the weekend of NCR.

I'm looking forward to that VF tourney myself, but NorCal Regionals never fails to disappoint. Between this tourney, MLG Winter Championships and Hypespotting this should be an interesting weekend :)

N4Us

BTW bring some really warm clothes if you're going today. Gonna rain today and it's already freezing balls.

This post is still horribly misinformed, but okay.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
Hey maybe dumb question that I should have probably asked earlier if pool play for SF4 start at 11 but I don't play until 3 do I still have to check in at 11?

Man that's fucking depressing. Even if this didn't take place during NCR, I don't think it would be any different. Would the FGC(excluding the top players are who are competing of course) go to a E-Sports event like MLG and pay to be a spectator? I don't mind doing that, but I think I'm in the minority. So I don't expect the crowd to be any different for SCV and MK. And although I do think Capcom games would garner a much bigger audience, it would still be small compared to StarCraft. Its best selling point would probably be bringing in 10k+ stream monsters.

BTW, Justin still has MK and SCV(?) lined up. Don't know if he plays SC, but if he can win MK then it would all be worth it as he'll come home 12k richer. That's probably how much it cost to put together a major like NCR.

i think the FGC roots are too deep for an outside host to successfully charge to spectate, doubly so without the capcom draw. Maybe Evo or other FGC majors can start doing this if it just gets too big, but that shit won't fly right now....I don't claim to know anything, but it seems like right now it's all about getting that critical mass on the FGC's own terms, with all dat paypah later on.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
NEVERMIND I CAN'T READ

ngbbs4f1a3eda82fc1.jpg

I'm just in Berkeley chillin', waiting for these fools to wake up. I should've just took the BART. :(

I hate having the earliest poooolllllll~

alstein

Before the fiasco earlier this week, it was folks who are considered possibly stronger then Bala there, and a larger field. I wouldn't even try unless the cost was minimal. I'm hearing one of these MLG's will be held near me later on the year, so I might just try if the opportunity is there.

The lateness is something the FGC needs to address, it's terrible, and inexcusable. The problem is the TO's seem afraid to DQ's players- probably because of the tightness of the community, and the fact that many in this community don't have any sense of timeliness whatsoever. I wonder sometimes how many of them are regularly late for work and other obligations. I consider showing up late like plenty of folks did at FR on Sunday (Saturday's excusable given the chaos, but Sunday you know you're there and it's a small field)- to be rude.

USD

The brackets are now final, so I did a second check and added in some names, several SoCal players like fLoE and MaRN added.

Good luck FightingGameGAF! I live in the BayArea but am stuck running errands in the rain. Will try to follow the stream and this thread when I am on a break.

Really worried that the majority of stream time will be dedicated to SFxT, I'm not feeling that game at all...

Hoping for some good Marvel/AE.

Top Bottom