• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal Regionals 10 | Fighting game tournament | March 24-25

Disagree. 2v2 would be a lot more hype. Cross assault would actually Become viable. People ball hogging and inter-team popoffswould be great.

How is 2v2 a clusterfuck? We aren't talking about scramble mode here.

In terms of tagging and such a lot of games would have the potential to be kind of messy.

Inter-team drama might help the excitement little bit, but it's not like the basic mechanics are going to change all of a sudden and make it more interesting to watch.

Ferrio

Banned
In terms of tagging and such a lot of games would have the potential to be kind of messy.

Inter-team drama might help the excitement little bit, but it's not like the basic mechanics are going to change all of a sudden and make it more interesting to watch.

The reason it's exciting is no other (capcom) game does it. SFxT needs something to differentiate itself and make it worth watching.

Marvel was pretty damn hype with people dropping combos left and right today. Can you imagine teammates yelling at each other and throwing tantrums? C'mon watch those Cross Counter vids and don't tell me they aren't hilarious. Even playing pair play online has made SFxT 10x more fun then playing alone. Playing with 4 live people is at least 100x more fun than playing alone. Well for me at least. You don't even own the game right?

Shame. Seems early to call when Infiltration was the only player that used every part of the system and didn't forget about the option selects.

I really hope it gets more time (i enjoy playing it) but with so many other games to play for tournaments/Evo i wonder if it will stick.

Marvel was pretty damn hype with people dropping combos left and right today. Can you imagine teammates yelling at each other and throwing tantrums? C'mon watch those Cross Counter vids and don't tell me they aren't hilarious. Even playing pair play online has made SFxT 10x more fun then playing alone. Playing with 4 live people is at least 100x more fun than playing alone. Well for me at least. You don't even own the game right?

If someone runs it I'm willing to give it a chance, but I have a feeling it's only really going to be entertaining to see inter-team drama if the players are well-known.

Sometimes Marvel can be fun to watch with randoms because of unusual characters and interesting tech. I'm sure there's things we haven't seen yet but I have a feeling that this game isn't going to have the same bounty of options available to it.

Shouta

They scale it down by hit confirming them.

There is a little bit of that but needless switch cancels and lots of low/mediums do it too. Switching more than once is actually detrimental to damage because the scaling starts to get bad after the first few hits. You actually stay at 100% for like 2 hits and just gets worse from there.

Venfayth

Less switch cancels, more alpha counters, more smart meter usage, better punishes, etc. People need to learn the game more, learn their characters and learn other characters. Also we need that gem update so we can use them in tourneys. This game has a long ways to go, imo.

sleepykyo

SFxT really is Stand Jab x Time Over. They have to reduce pushback on blocked moves to make everything less safe.
You just noted the issue‚ as did Seth too many jabs are killing the damage .

The players needed better hit confirms. Heck Jin and Kaz can link 3 mids‚ just like Ryu.

Less switch cancels, more alpha counters, more smart meter usage, better punishes, etc. People need to learn the game more, learn their characters and learn other characters. Also we need that gem update so we can use them in tourneys. This game has a long ways to go, imo.

If people learn how to play this game, it's just going to become more and more unwatchable. Infiltration shown us today how this game should be played: constant switching of characters to take advantage of derp health regen, use 2 characters with derp normals and good mobility to runaway all day (made worse by the long ass stages), mash stand jab to make it even harder to get in, and I have a hard time seeing how gems are going to make any differences.

LORD HAUNTS

bvUXv.jpg

Shouta

If people learn how to play this game, it's just going to become more and more unwatchable. Infiltration shown us today how this game should be played: constant switching of characters to take advantage of derp health regen, use 2 characters with derp normals and good mobility to runaway all day (made worse by the long ass stages), mash stand jab to make it even harder to get in, and I have a hard time seeing how gems are going to make any differences.

A lot of the systems are in there with the expectation players were going to use big damage combos for it so it seems pretty stupid with how they're playing at the moment. Once players figure out it's better to keep it short and hard hitting, the health and timeout issue will seem a lot less of an issue. As I said above, they're gimping their damage using more hits instead of harder hits.

sleepykyo

Funnily enough he didn't get a lot of time out wins (that heartbreaker aside). Every other game he just mauled everyone.

when will you all learn that marvel is the future and kof is a close second

I hope what we saw tonight isn't indicative of the future of Marvel, because man.....

KOF XIII was awesome though. Can't imagine how good it would have been had all the KOF killers been in the house and Juicebox been there to commentate.

VF was boss though. Probably going to go buy VF5 tomorrow lol.

I hope what we saw tonight isn't indicative of the future of Marvel, because man.....

KOF XIII was awesome though. Can't imagine how good it would have been had all the KOF killers been in the house and Juicebox been there to commentate.

VF was boss though. Probably going to go buy VF5 tomorrow lol.

I think Marvel was a hit/miss thing. Players like Hi Im Nasty get me psyched for the game, while others like Neo make me :(

Based on the data on eventhubs:

Top 8 character usage:
Code:
wesker		5
magneto		3
spencer		3
sent		2
vergil		2
frank		2
phoenix		2
doom		1
akuma		1
skrull		1
nova		1
wolverine	1
strider		1

Top 16:
Code:
wesker		7
magneto		6
spencer		5
vergil		3
phoenix		3
doom		3
sent		2
frank		2
akuma		2
skrull		2
nova		2
wolverine	2
strider		2
felicia		1
hawkeye		1
dante		1
nemesis		1
zero		1
task		1
viper		1

Never, the amount of combos dropped during this tourney was astounding, I want more tournaments like Evo & Final Round(Barring Kusoru, I hate gimmicks), where everybody is there.

EDIT: No dieminion, so I expected that, Beef.

When putting together the stats I was most surprised by the complete lack of Dormammu in top 16. Also, where was the supposed Zero army? Wesker's still the most popular, but not by as large a margin as in previous majors.

When putting together the stats I was most surprised by the complete lack of Dormammu in top 16. Also, where was the supposed Zero army? Wesker's still the most popular, but not by as large a margin as in previous majors.

Isn't good Zero play somewhat skill intensive? It could be that people are sticking to characters who are less so.

good thing, too, considering all the dropped combos.

Funnily enough he didn't get a lot of time out wins (that heartbreaker aside). Every other game he just mauled everyone.

That's because people were trying to get in on him and weren't trying to outlame him. In any case MvC2 had tons of time outs and that game was hype, so time outs is a minor concern to the fact that if Infiltration's style gets picked up by more people SFxT is finished as a spectator game.

NorCal is one of the most unoriginal, homogenous places as far as character variety goes, I always have a hard time watching TNT when that place is infested by trenchcoats and Strider.

Shouta

sfxtekken needs to get rid of red health. if you want to stop timeouts then that is the way to go.

Nah, once people figure out that they need to maximize their damage instead of going for hits, that red health is going come in handy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Though I don't own it, I can see so many fundamental problems with SFxTK that's putting it in the "state" that it's in now in terms of some of the lukewarm reception for spectating.

Too much health/too little damage causing time outs, and lack of immediacy or pressure in matches, which doesn't help considering a lot of players are already carrying over very defensive play from SF. Overall matches and sets take forever and draw out game length significantly. Gem system ruined by shoddy implementation (including DLC gems) with after-the-fact fixes coming to the most interesting part of the game. Gem system further ruined by a gross, unnecessary over complication of choices that is unrefined and has created further selection problems. Combos sit between familiar strings in SF and some crazier stuff in UMvC3, which may be a bit disorienting for some to get used to, or find entertaining. A slight, but not really predominant sense of "use whatever is good right now" mentality with character choices going on right now reminiscent of late MvC3/early UMvC3.

List goes on. The game is, fundamentally, something that isn't spectator friendly. And will continue not to be unless some fundamentals are changed, most of which is unlikely. Yeah the game can evolve and become more interesting, but the chance of picking up new viewers diminishes too as time goes on, gotta strike while the iron is hot. I give it a shot just like every other fighting game I spectate but it almost feels like a chore to watch.

kirblar

Though I don't own it, I can see so many fundamental problems with SFxTK that's putting it in the "state" that it's in now in terms of some of the lukewarm reception for spectating.

Too much health/too little damage causing time outs, and lack of immediacy or pressure in matches, which doesn't help considering a lot of players are already carrying over very defensive play from SF. Overall matches and sets take forever and draw out game length significantly. Gem system ruined by shoddy implementation (including DLC gems) with after-the-fact fixes coming to the most interesting part of the game. Gem system further ruined by a gross, unnecessary over complication of choices that is unrefined and has created further selection problems. Combos sit between familiar strings in SF and some crazier stuff in UMvC3, which may be a bit disorienting for some to get used to, or find entertaining. A slight, but not really predominant sense of "use whatever is good right now" mentality with character choices going on right now reminiscent of late MvC3/early UMvC3.

List goes on. The game is, fundamentally, something that isn't spectator friendly. And will continue not to be unless some fundamentals are changed, most of which is unlikely. Yeah the game can evolve and become more interesting, but the chance of picking up new viewers diminishes too as time goes on, gotta strike while the iron is hot. I give it a shot just like every other fighting game I spectate but it almost feels like a chore to watch.
Yeah, the problems with this game are far deeper than "Overpowered Level 3 Wesker". They cut to the core of their design decisions and if they want this game to survive long term, they need to take a hard, hard look at fixing the issues lurking in the engine and gameplay before the DLC characters hit. Because if they wait till after they're out, they're going to lose people for good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, the problems with this game are far deeper than "Overpowered Level 3 Wesker". They cut to the core of their design decisions and if they want this game to survive long term, they need to take a hard, hard look at fixing the issues lurking in the engine and gameplay before the DLC characters hit. Because if they wait till after they're out, they're going to lose people for good.

On the flip side though, if people are having fun with the game, I don't feel like they should mend it just to be spectator friendly. Maybe it doesn't belong as a spectator sport at all, kind of like Mortal Kombat. An easy solution is 2v2 though, which I am fully in support of like many others.

smurfx

get some go again
zero isn't like wesker who you can put on many team and make them better. if you want zero to get you wins then you have to put a lot of time into your zero and your strategies. i see a lot of zeros on streams and they are pretty freaking bad. i guess they see a bunch of people saying zero is the best in the game so surely i will be top tier if i add him. i dropped zero for hawkeye as i didn't want to put the time and effort into zero and i would prefer putting that time into haggar and hawkeye and improving my zoning.

Shouta

On the flip side though, if people are having fun with the game, I don't feel like they should mend it just to be spectator friendly. Maybe it doesn't belong as a spectator sport at all, kind of like Mortal Kombat. An easy solution is 2v2 though, which I am fully in support of like many others.

I mentioned it before but you hit it a bit in the first line of your big paragraph, it's mentality that's a problem at the moment. I think a lot of folks are approaching this as Super Turbo/SF4 with Tag or playing it a little like UMVC3 with more hits being better, etc. It's not either and once folks get used to it and start figuring that out, then the game's issues can be adjusted. I definitely do think the game needs adjustments but too early to fix the system when the players really haven't figured it out themselves.

I think that the problem is it's in a weird uncomfortable place between UMVC3 and AE2012.

It doesn't quite have the wildness and craziness of something like UMVC3 but it seems to lack the tension of something like AE2012.

It may be a function of the currently low damage but even though the combos are long and somewhat interesting there are so many ultimately inconsequential hits that you have that problem that some combos have in Marvel where you feel like you're waiting for the combo to end.

I'm coming at this from a strictly spectator POV though, so if the players enjoy it as it is, more power to 'em.

Top Bottom