• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal Regionals 10 | Fighting game tournament | March 24-25

Bitching about how competitive a game is based on a personal invisible yard stick helps do..... what exactly?

Everybody does it all the time. Everybody criticizing how SFxTK is not good, because it's not like other games (marvel), kinda like all the FGTV guys think apparently (and in this thread)? Instead of on it's own merits.

That's the internets, everybody gets to air their opinions. I love it, haha.

kitzkozan

The better player doesn't always win because the game is random it is because of deliberate design choices that aren't based on any kind of 'dice roll'.

Marvel isn't random in a way which let any player beat a pro out of nowhere. The random factor is when a player call out an assist and he's caught in a happy birthday out of nowhere. The assist and active character end up being caught in some crap it lead to monstrous damage since there's usually x-factor involved to quickly kill 2 characters (Wong was caught in a happy birthday and it resulted in him being perfected and eliminated at EVO last year) .

Grecco

Marvel isn't random in a way which let any player beat a pro out of nowhere. The random factor is when a player call out an assist and he's caught in a happy birthday out of nowhere. Most of them are completely random and lead to monstrous damage since there's usually x-factor involved to quickly kill 2 characters (Wong was caught in a happy birthday and it resulted in him being perfected and eliminated at EVO last year) .

Tha doesn't mean it's random it just means its unforgiving to mistakes, especially poorly timed assist calls

JeTmAn81

Marvel isn't random in a way which let any player beat a pro out of nowhere. The random factor is when a player call out an assist and he's caught in a happy birthday out of nowhere. Most of them are completely random and lead to monstrous damage since there's usually x-factor involved to quickly kill 2 characters (Wong was caught in a happy birthday and it resulted in him being perfected and eliminated at EVO last year) .

Almost every single time I get happy birthday-ed, I feel I made a bad assist call. I didn't just get randomed out. I think it's really on the player. Also, Justin Wong just got outplayed by a very tough competitor in PR Balrog, and he got third place overall. Listing a happy birthday as the reason for his elimination doesn't really tell that story accurately.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There's nothing random about Marvel. If you can't follow what's going on, maybe you should pay better attention.

zlatko

Banned
Unforgiving? Unfair?

Yeah complaining about the 50/50 dead character/mixup on the incoming character is a legit critisism but calling the game random just makes people look dumb. This game realy isnt random at all. Well other than Weskers stupid Phantom Dance.

And Zero's lightning on an incoming character. That shit is is random as hell right? Not like the Zero player cares which side it hits lol... it always hits. :(

Chavelo

So, what's the next major coming up? Texas Showdown?

Hopefully I'll have a better internet connection by then. Fuck CenturyLink. Also, fuck Comcast but the speeds are better. I feel sad.

And Zero's lightning on an incoming character. That shit is is random as hell right? Not like the Zero player cares which side it hits lol... it always hits. :(

t210768_i-know-that-feel.png

I think random is the wrong word.

I think people have issue with the high reward of landing a low L in a mix-up (or a safe mix-up in general), versus the risk of it being blocked.

The essence of 50/50 situations is fine. It's been around forever in FGs. It's just the risk/reward dynamics change from game to game.

Imm0rt4l

Marvel definitely doesn't have the consistency of something like sf. It's not random to the degree that a total scrub can beat a pro. But even at the highest levels it's not so much a player gets outplayed in a set, it's just that you can simply lose. Even if there is a hierarchy among players, it means little at the top.

and lol @ anyone caring about noel browns opinion on sfxt.

Dahbomb

Marvel isn't random in a way which let any player beat a pro out of nowhere. The random factor is when a player call out an assist and he's caught in a happy birthday out of nowhere. The assist and active character end up being caught in some crap it lead to monstrous damage since there's usually x-factor involved to quickly kill 2 characters (Wong was caught in a happy birthday and it resulted in him being perfected and eliminated at EVO last year) .
That isn't random. That's called a bad assist call aka a mistake. You have to think before you press that assist button.

Justin Wong lost to PRBalrog in a Perfect because Dante had superior match ups against all of his team especially against She Hulk. Dante + invincible assists in Vanilla was SS tier short only of a Phoenix team with a godly point character + invincible assist.

That isn't random, more like an ambiguous cross up that is hard to block. Basically as soon as Zero dashes behind you, you better block the other way or you will get hit by the lightning. Zero can make the blocking timing extremely tight by lightning and then Buster as soon as he crosses you up. It's also distance dependent meaning if he does raw lightning very close you have more time to block the other way because it takes a while for the lightning to appear.

The Wesker/Vergil Phantom Dance/DS cross up is the only thing (aside from PW's evidence mechanic and Hsien Ko's Item toss) that is truly random.

Marvel 3 is just a game that heavily rewards offense. You can block for like 30-50 sec straight, and just screw up on one block and lose a character. Also the ease of opening up somebody compared to blocking is just ridiculous, how are people supposed to reliably block instant overheads compared to somebody just herp-derping jump forward mash L + assist.

zlatko

Banned

Hopefully I'll have a better internet connection by then. Fuck CenturyLink. Also, fuck Comcast but the speeds are better. I feel sad.

t210768_i-know-that-feel.png

Can't see the pic at work, but I do see it's labeled i know that feel. :p

You on tonight? I will be for some KoF or SFxT if you want. :)

Grecco

Marvel definitely doesn't have the consistency of something like sf. It's not random to the degree that a total scrub can beat a pro. But even at the highest levels it's not so much a player gets outplayed in a set, it's just that you can simply lose. Even if there is a hierarchy among players, it means little at the top.

and lol @ anyone caring about noel browns opinion on sfxt.
James Chen also isn't a fan of the game right now and I respect James alot

I REALLY wished for all these people that keep calling XYZ is a bad game because of XYZ cheap mechanic/gameplay would go and play KoF13. People like Noel Brown, who just keep complaining and complaining when KOF13 is right there, but I guess to some people if its not capcom its not good enough.

edit
Why isn't KOF13 the main 2d fighter anyways? Shit is more hyped than most games of recent.

Bizazedo

It doesn't matter, Raging. The "problem" will be solved when you hear in the after fight interviews "I messed up here and here".

Think about it, how often do you hear that?

By right it should be the next major coming up. Apr 6. But with most of the top players in the South boycotting it due to them being screwed by Planet Zero at one point or another I am not sure who is coming to it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Marvel 3 is just a game that heavily rewards offense. You can block for like 30-50 sec straight, and just screw up on one block and lose a character. Also the ease of opening up somebody compared to blocking is just ridiculous, how are people supposed to reliably block instant overheads compared to somebody just herp-derping jump forward mash L + assist.
Apt username.

Dahbomb

The best players in Marvel, the ones who win tournaments are the ones with the impeccable defense. If you can block a few mix ups against the opposition you pretty much dismantle most of their set ups. It's why Justin Wong is so consistent at this game and wins with mid to lower mid characters.

Just check out who have won tournaments in Marvel. Combofiend, Viscant, Justin, Kusoru (Japanese player with amazing defense with a team that is more defensive in nature), FChamp (basically known for his defense), ChrisG, MarlinPie, PRBalrog, Flocker. Even at this tournament, the player with the best defense, optimized team and mindset won it.

zlatko

Banned

To be fair James has David chirping in his ear a lot, and at this point it's blatantly obvious that David hates the game, but is just trying to not when he commentates it.

It's like when Arturo commentated AE when it came out. Yeah we get it you hate it, so just keep off the mic for it, because it sucks anything interest going on right out of it.

We need Juicebox type of commentators who love the game. His passion for KoF13 is top tier.

I'm in the boat though that does think SFxT is just too damn boring in its current state. 2v2 could be the solution...

The best players in Marvel, the ones who win tournaments are the ones with the impeccable defense. If you can block a few mix ups against the opposition you pretty much dismantle most of their set ups. It's why Justin Wong is so consistent at this game and wins with mid to lower mid characters.

Just check out who have won tournaments in Marvel. Combofiend, Viscant, Justin, Kusoru (Japanese player with amazing defense with a team that is more defensive in nature), FChamp (basically known for his defense), ChrisG, MarlinPie, PRBalrog, Flocker. Even at this tournament, the player with the best defense, optimized team and mindset won it.

I'm not saying people don't have the ability to defend against it. I'm just saying the risk/reward factor and the ease of opening up somebody is what makes the game feel random to a lot of people.

By no means is the game random, I love mvc3 (less than mvc2 of course), but I really wished the dmg was lowered and mixups were more of the norm instead of Zero/Spencer/etc just killing a whole character with a combo and 1-2 meters. Of course this is just my preference.

OMG, Art doing AE commentary was the worst. The WORST! So much whine, wine, whine.

Remember when spooky played that one jazzy song about crying or something while him and that other Sim player at Next Level (I forget his name) where on the mic?

Damn, I wish I remembered the song.

Art is the man though

:)

I REALLY wished for all these people that keep calling XYZ is a bad game because of XYZ cheap mechanic/gameplay would go and play KoF13. People like Noel Brown, who just keep complaining and complaining when KOF13 is right there, but I guess to some people if its not capcom its not good enough.

edit
Why isn't KOF13 the main 2d fighter anyways? Shit is more hyped than most games of recent.

Because the people who generally play in these tournaments are mostly fans of Capcom games, though there are exceptions.

Plus, I think SFIV still has some juice, at least at the top level.

Aedile

Something becomes a main game due to pot monster (and secondarily stream monster) interest, which is liimted in KoF13 because:

1. It's hard.
2. The online isn't that good.
3. It's not made by Capcom.

SFxT certainly isn't ready for prime time when half of its distinctive features are disabled or unused in serious play.

AAK

I get this way of thinking but I don't agree with it. You know they're a bullshit anchor, yet you refuse to snap them in or make people have to move to their B/C/D-plan?

To me, that's the player's fault for allowing that situation to develop in the first place. It's poor resource management as well.

If you can body his/her other characters regardless, why not snap in his Yu Gi Oh trap card horseshit character, neuter him since XF1 isn't anything close to XF3, and then go back to bodying the characters you have no (or fewer) problems against?

There's gotta be better gameplans in this game's future.

I don't play that much Marvel so my opinion isn't necessarily valid, but I have watched a bunch of streams, and the tactic you described above really IMO doesn't equate to good balance.

Why should the guaranteed damage that the player deserved be sacrificed to snap in someone to try and set up a juggle scenario because of a BS mechanic that turns the game system into absolute broken mode. It's not like snapping them in makes your life any easier when your opponent most likely just use the superior properties of the moves of the anchor to get a hit/juggle on you into Super followed by DHC back into square one but with your current character's health depleted. There's definitely a lot of merit to MvC's system IMO, but X factor just tarnishes it.

But regardless, as the way the game is, I'm not playing it, so I don't have the right to judge it. If the people currently playing it are enjoying it, cool, I respect that and I'll let Capcom do their thing to cater to this audience. But IMO based on the reasons above, it doesn't have the integrity seen in 3D fighters or recently SFxT.

Imm0rt4l

Why do you care about his salty ass opinion? All he does is cry. That said, a lot of people don't like sfxt that much but only because they play and compare it to sf4. If you were to ask which is the better competitive game, they may give you a different answer. I'm going to wait for this game to further evolve with gameplay and through patches.

I dont know what could be done with sfxt to make it hype, granted hype means shit when it comes to actually playing a game, but watching it on stream is meh.

smurfx

get some go again
I don't play that much Marvel so my opinion isn't necessarily valid, but I have watched a bunch of streams, and the tactic you described above really IMO doesn't equate to good balance.

Why should the guaranteed damage that the player deserved be sacrificed to snap in someone to try and set up a juggle scenario because of a BS mechanic that turns the game system into absolute broken mode.
hey i'm the biggest x-factor hater around but in the end its a part of the game and if you want to win you have to change some strategies to get around it. i usually just say screw it and fight the character instead of snapping them in and i pay for it a lot of the times but what can you do that's the game. i love this game too much to quit just because i don't like x-factor.

Xevren

All I know is, SF x Tekken is my favorite to play right now just because x factor isn't in it. If it wasn't in Marvel I'd definitely be more into it.

zlatko

Banned
Why do you care about his salty ass opinion? All he does is cry. That said, a lot of people don't like sfxt that much but only because they play and compare it to sf4. If you were to ask which is the better competitive game, they may give you a different answer. I'm going to wait for this game to further evolve with gameplay and through patches.

At the moment I'm finding it harder to appreciate the top level play here in SFxT, when compared to SF4. I feel the footsie game, punishment game, and the flow of the matches in SFxT just don't compare to SF4 stuff.

Perfect example is watching Poongko play against someone as Seth. The pacing he sets, and the always knowing he could die in one simple FADC to ultra combo as he tries to mix you up is god like to watch.

The fear here just isn't present. Maybe this game really DOES need Pandora to be X factor like. :/ I don't feel it needs to be crazy like, but giving it 10 more seconds to last, and having canned animations not cost time ont he clock when it's on seems like it'd give it more potential.

Granted if this game was 2v2, then cross rush WOULD be x factor due to the unblockables you can make with a life team mate.

At the moment I'm finding it harder to appreciate the top level play here in SFxT, when compared to SF4. I feel the footsie game, punishment game, and the flow of the matches in SFxT just don't compare to SF4 stuff.

Perfect example is watching Poongko play against someone as Seth. The pacing he sets, and the always knowing he could die in one simple FADC to ultra combo as he tries to mix you up is god like to watch.

The fear here just isn't present. Maybe this game really DOES need Pandora to be X factor like. :/

To be fair, how long did it take for SF4 to get there? Was it like that the first month? (like we are in SFxTK's life).

Please mind, that I love high level SF4 play :)

and please, no x-factor comebacks. You get down on life that much with 30 seconds to go, that's your own fault, haha. Your reward for playing that bad the whole match is to be jumped away from ;)

Imm0rt4l

The fear here just isn't present. Maybe this game really DOES need Pandora to be X factor like. :/ I don't feel it needs to be crazy like, but giving it 10 more seconds to last, and having canned animations not cost time ont he clock when it's on seems like it'd give it more potential.

Granted if this game was 2v2, then cross rush WOULD be x factor due to the unblockables you can make with a life team mate.

Something definitely needs to be done.

I think reducing the amount of regnerated health would be a start, it regains way too fast. Unfamiliarity is still going to be a problem for a while, it'll take some time.

sleepykyo

OMG, Art doing AE commentary was the worst. The WORST! So much whine, wine, whine.

Remember when spooky played that one jazzy song about crying or something while him and that other Sim player at Next Level (I forget his name) where on the mic?

Damn, I wish I remembered the song.

Art is the man though

:)
Cry Me River by Joan er‚ just look for the non Timberlake one. I think that was when WNF passed Big2 in viewers .

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Why should the guaranteed damage that the player deserved be sacrificed to snap in someone to try and set up a juggle scenario because of a BS mechanic that turns the game system into absolute broken mode. It's not like snapping them in makes your life any easier when your opponent most likely just use the superior properties of the moves of the anchor to get a hit/juggle on you into Super followed by DHC back into square one but with your current character's health depleted. There's definitely a lot of merit to MvC's system IMO, but X factor just tarnishes it IMO.

But regardless, as the way the game is, I'm not playing it, so I don't have the right to judge it. If the people currently playing it are enjoying it, cool, I respect that and I'll let Capcom do their thing to cater to this audience. But IMO based on the reasons above, it doesn't have the integrity seen in 3D fighters or recently SFxT.
Because snapping and killing an anchor or assist character is extremely advantagous. It fucks up your opponents game plan. Even if the kill isn't guaranteed, there's no reason not to try. Especially when that anchor character is Phoenix.

The reason for XF3 is for the strength of incoming mix ups. Look at Infrit, he kills your first char, he kills the second. Without XF3, the game would go mix up, dead first char. Second char comes in, dead char. Third char comes in, dead char.

Like MvC2 had the momentum based game but with more mixups.

Zero/Viper/Dorm can effectively one touch an entire team with just one assist.

That is the reason for XF3. And if players didn't drop combos so much, XF3 Wesker wouldn't have as strong of a showing. They need to level up a bit.

The game is random at 2/3. Needs to be 3/5. The randomness will disappear if that many matches.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How about a snap back move like MvC3 has? I wonder if Capcom would be willing to make such a change.

zlatko

Banned
To be fair, how long did it take for SF4 to get there? Was it like that the first month? (like we are in SFxTK's life).

Please mind, that I love high level SF4 play :)

and please, no x-factor comebacks. You get down on life that much with 30 seconds to go, that's your own fault, haha. Your reward for playing that bad the whole match is to be jumped away from ;)

Cross rush is that come back juice, but it needs 2 real players.

Plus is it really playing bad the whole match if carefully poke and anti air a Hugo player, then fuck up one defensive moment and wham he just retied the life leads or took it in favor of himself, and now wants to turtle up?

We should check video archives of SF4 vanilla 1 month after it was release to see what kind of combos were being done at its first major. Timeout issue I guarantee wasn't there though. That's all SFxT on its own.

Anth0ny

mj-laughing6t31n.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
i think just cutting the amount of health regenerated would stop many of the timeouts.
I would like that mechanic regardless of timeouts. :3

Health regenerating speed and/or timer time units would be the easiest way of 'fixing' timeouts.

smurfx

get some go again
marlinpie does have great defense and its called rushing your ass down. no need to block when you are making the other guy block.

Top Bottom