• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea claims new ICBM to guarantee eventual nuclear strike on U.S. mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAW

Banned
Okay this is getting tiring. Both for the world and for the starving people of North Korea. NK's leader needs to make an exit. Ceausescu-style preferably.

Ishan

In a way, I think we are brushing off these threats a little to lightly...I mean, North Korea yes...DOES....saber rattle quite a bit. But the fact that they have been working on there nuclear capability for awhile does reveal some interesting things..

Like for example, do they have ICBM's most likely not....will they eventually develop, Most likely yes.

It is not a question of how, but a question of when. And the thought of these guys with a unstable leader, with nuclear weapons. IS a terrifying thought indeed.

So the next time, you post....HAHAH! YEA RIGHT!, NORTH KOREA U WAT M8!!??

Just think, someday soon, these guys will have nuclear weapons....
Doesn't matter it's a country threatening other counties they do shit they are essentially prime candidates for any country to nuked out of existence . They half a cult govt hardly any allies and no non military influence. North Korea actually becomes threatening they get destroyed end of story . If us doesn't nuke them Russia will or india or Israel rubbish issue essentially if they actually follow thru with any nuke attack... it's just a bargaining chip.

It's like a guy threatening to shoot up a neighbourhood while surrounded. would like to avoid it and calm him down but he starts shooting means hes dead in seconds

Why is north Korea so hateful, south Korea is so screwed. Don't think I could live there comfortably.

China isn't going to protect them, maybe they believe that. They spend all thier time in isolation

As someone who lives on the west coast, I'd hope such threats would be taken more seriously.

Yup, as a person living in Japan we have even gotten too used to them dropping missiles in nearby oceans over the last few years.

And it's not even the case where they fall short every time. I am pretty sure at least one time a piece of missile ended up flying clear over Japan. Can't find anything now though....

Machina

Banned
Considering North Korea is so isolated in the international community, they might want to be careful what they wish for.

Apt101

I guess it has been a few months since their last temper tantrum. "We have People's Laser Cannon in space, can kill Batman and Superman and will bring glorious pride to NK".

cXacovz.png

Kim Jong-un is sure looking good these days.

enewtabie

Couldn't he just detonate one in the air over the US instead of hitting the mainland? Wouldn't the EMP devastating to unshielded Electronics?

Steel

Banned

Ground-Based Midcourse Defense
is the most relevant system, basically made to counter North Korea. 26 missiles based in Alaska, 4 in California, so a few to spare given they're lucky even to fire one missile without it self-exploding.

It has a 50% success rate in tests according to the article you linked, though. Not to mention, the article you gave linked here as an example:

http://www.stripes.com/major-flaws-revealed-in-us-anti-missile-nuclear-defense-1.349806

As a result, all 33 interceptors deployed at Vandenberg Air Force Base in Santa Barbara County, Calif., and Fort Greely, Alaska, have one of the defects. Ten of those interceptors — plus eight being prepared for delivery this year — have both.

Summing up the effect on missile-defense readiness, the GAO report said that “the fielded interceptors are susceptible to experiencing … failure modes," resulting in “an interceptor fleet that may not work as intended.”

The flaws could disrupt sensitive on-board systems that are supposed to steer the interceptors into enemy missiles in space.

also:

The soldering material is vulnerable to corrosion in the interceptors’ underground silos, some of which have had damp conditions and mold. Corrosion “could have far-reaching effects” because the “defective wiring harnesses” supply power and data to the kill vehicle’s on-board guidance system, said the GAO report, which is dated May 6.

It really doesn't sound reliable.

pulsemyne

THAAD is a pretty good system now which is why both China and Russia were not happy with America deploying it in South Korea. The Chinesse and the Russias were both royally pissed at North Korea testing their latest nuke and missile tech as it gave America the pretext (quite rightly so as well) for deploying THAAD.
Also remember that NK is currently undergoing another crippling famine. They need food aid and in the past acting out has got them what they wanted. This time though they may have pushed too far. Issuing threats to china also did not help at all.

mclem

The successful test of the jet and cascade separation of the above-said rocket engine which is of historical and strategic importance by dint of self-reliance and self-development makes it possible to remarkably bolster the military capability of the invincible revolutionary Paektusan army, he noted, stressing that the feats the national defence scientists and technicians of the DPRK performed by working hard to increase the national defence capability would always go down in the history of the country. He had a photo session with them.

... if they're invincible, why bother making them stronger?

dan2026

I love how North Korea continually threatens the world with nuclear annihilation and everyone just ignores them.
When they do actually fire a nuke at someone we will all be responsible for just ignoring them all this time.

mclem

This still scares me every day, I have a lot of relatives in SK.

While I don't have relatives in SK, there was a scary moment when my sister and her family were flying from their home in New Zealand to come over and see us with a stopover in SK...

...which happened to be on the day that Kim Jong-Il was reported to have died.

That was... uncomfortable.

disco

Surely the elite are just developing these things to keep themselves in power? So the west can't mess with them? They surely be wouldn't be mad enough to contaminate the whole planet because they dislike capitalism? The elite live a pretty nice life - they just want to ensure they'll stay in power by making the rest of the world leaves them alone and passively allows them to live in moderate personal wealth.

It's crazy that we let these twerps get away with making these kinds of threats.

Anything relating to nuclear weapons should be taken seriously. IMO the threat alone should be considered an act of war. Not saying we should bomb them. I don't know what the solution is.

Lenz44

Banned
I love how North Korea continually threatens the world with nuclear annihilation and everyone just ignores them.
When they do actually fire a nuke at someone we will all be responsible for just ignoring them all this time.

What's your proposed solution to stopping them? They get away with it because intervening could kill millions and millions while also possibly causing huge economic issues around the world. Let them Saber rattle and let the regime collapse on its own.

Shmuppers

mhm

there are AADA installments in s.korea and vietnam

you aren't even going to pass gas in the upper atmosphere unless we let you

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's crazy that we let these twerps get away with making these kinds of threats.

Anything relating to nuclear weapons should be taken seriously. IMO the threat alone should be considered an act of war. Not saying we should bomb them. I don't know what the solution is.

I wouldn't mind a quick precision drone strike to take away their nuclear capability if the opportunity arose.

Would they really go nuts and try to invade South Korea in that scenario?

Lenz44

Banned
I wouldn't mind a quick precision drone strike to take away their nuclear capability if the opportunity arose.

Would they really go nuts and try to invade South Korea in that scenario?

I would assume Seoul would be fired on at that point. They know one of the reasons the regime is standing is due to those weapons. I assume they wouldn't take it laying down, but who knows- it's a big risk to take.

kswiston

But if it did somehow end up as a conventional war, North Korea has the 4th largest millitary(Ironically, it's larger than China's). It would be bloody.

Standing army size is pretty meaningless in light of the vast differences in technology between the North Korean and American + Allied armies.

The DPRK government and it's army organization would crumble in a few weeks. The issue would be dealing with the mess that falls out of that, as has been the case in other wars started by the US in recent times. Who knows what a power vacuum in a country that has more or less been brainwashed for over 60 years would do. Also, the mess would spill over into South Korea and China. That's basically the only reason that North Korea has been left alone to begin with. How long do you think that the US would have put up with this if were were talking about a similarly impoverished state somewhere in Africa or the Middle East where none of the big boys really give a shit what happens?

I think I've turned on this. I really don't care if they can anymore. I'm just really upset they sound determined to do it if they could.

zeemumu

Standing army size is pretty meaningless in light of the vast differences in technology between the North Korean and American + Allied armies.

The DPRK government and it's army organization would crumble in a few weeks. The issue would be dealing with the mess that falls out of that, as has been the case in other wars started by the US in recent times. Who knows what a power vacuum in a country that has more or less been brainwashed for over 60 years would do. Also, the mess would spill over into South Korea and China. That's basically the only reason that North Korea has been left alone to begin with. How long do you think that the US would have put up with this if were were talking about a similarly impoverished state somewhere in Africa or the Middle East where none of the big boys really give a shit what happens?

So basically it's a clogged toilet where the water level is at the rim? You could use the plunger and unclog it but not without causing shit water to get everywhere?

Toth

THAAD is a pretty good system now which is why both China and Russia were not happy with America deploying it in South Korea. The Chinesse and the Russias were both royally pissed at North Korea testing their latest nuke and missile tech as it gave America the pretext (quite rightly so as well) for deploying THAAD.
Also remember that NK is currently undergoing another crippling famine. They need food aid and in the past acting out has got them what they wanted. This time though they may have pushed too far. Issuing threats to china also did not help at all.

I hope the US are able to get that poor kid back (say what you will about his actions, the punishment does not fit the crime) from NK in exchange for some aid.

DJ88

It's like a guy threatening to shoot up a neighbourhood while surrounded. would like to avoid it and calm him down but he starts shooting means hes dead in seconds

More like a guy threatening to blow up one of the houses in the neighborhood while surrounded. He presses the detantor and blows up a house and is promptly shot dead.

Question is, who's the unlucky house that gets blown up before we finally actually did something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom