• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea warns new missile can hit US with large nuclear warchead

Kyzer

Banned
North Korea says missile could carry nuclear warhead; hit US
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/14/asia/north-korea-missile-test-russia-japan/index.html

(CNN) - North Korea said Sunday's test-fire of a ground-to-ground ballistic missile proved the missile is capable of carrying a large nuclear warhead, state news agency KCNA said in a report Monday.

North Korea warned the United States not to provoke the nation, saying the "US mainland and Pacific operations" are within range of North Korean missiles, KCNA said.

North Korea said Sunday's test-fire of a ground-to-ground ballistic missile proved the missile is capable of carrying a large nuclear warhead, state news agency KCNA said in a report Monday.

The country's leader, Kim Jong Un, supervised the launch of the Hwasong-12 missile that reached an altitude of 2,111.5 kilometers (1,312 miles) and flew 787 kilometers (489 miles), KCNA said. That's higher and closer to Russia than other North Korean tests, according to US officials.
The test was "aimed at verifying the tactical and technological specifications of the newly developed ballistic rocket capable of carrying a large-size heavy nuclear warhead," KCNA said.
US officials said the missile launched near the city of Kusong, in western North Korea, flew across the country and into the Sea of Japan/East Sea, hitting the water about 60 miles from Vladivostok in eastern Russia.
Japan's Defense Ministry said the missile reached an altitude of 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) and flew for 30 minutes.

More at the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/14/asia/....html?adkey=bn1133PMStoryLink&linkId=37578592

Xando

Probably can't reach mainland yet but everyone of these tests get them closer to an ICBM
Sucidal motherfucker. You're not dealing with a reasonable person here, Kim. Have you seen what a mess our president is?
That's why he wants an ICBM asap.
Trump is more likely to say fuck SK than to say fuck California.

Geist-

It will probably go something like this:
little_man_syndrome_by_jollyjack-d5sno37.jpg

Jonnax

What's North Korea playing at?

In the days of Obama it could just be seen as posturing. But there's a good chance that Trump will invade =/

Gallbaro

Banned
Probably can't reach mainland yet but everyone of these tests get them closer to an ICBM

That's why he wants an ICBM asap.
Trump is more likely to say fuck SK than to say fuck California.

North Korea plays a game where only one person can be an irrational actor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Deterrence isn't suicidal.
Who do you think cares about detterence here? Only thing Kim cares about is continuing to be a regional shitshow to stay in power and maintain the status quo. He's not interested in attacking or defending.

qcf x2

60 miles from Russia? That's close. Also, what if it had landed somewhere in DPRK? I know Kim don't care but jeez.

Deterrence assumes that both parties understand the concept of MAD. And considering any realistic retaliatory impact comes from a third party who's kind of pissed at them at the moment (China), it's not a good strategy to pull you dick out and wave it in the general direction of an idiot egomaniac with a cabinet half full of yes men.

Xando

Who do you think cares about detterence here? Only thing Kim cares about is continuing to be a regional shitshow to stay in power and maintain the status quo. He's not interested in attacking or defending.
NKs sole foreign policy of the last 50 years is based on building up a conventional or nuclear deterrence against a what they believe imminent US invasion

Except for the fact that North Korea never has nor never will possess a credible nuclear deterrence against the United States. A preemptive nuclear strike by the US would obliterate North Korea, let alone their ability to respond with conventional or nuclear weapons. They don't even posses a nuclear triad, so there is no chance their arsenal would be able to survive a preemptive nuclear strike by the United States.

Beartruck

Trump dont give a fuck about your deterrence. California gets nuked and he'll smile. People that voted against him would be dead and he'd have a righteous war to boost approval ratings.

pulsemyne

This was all about pissing off china and Russia given the meeting currently going on in Beijing. NK wants them to put pressure on the US and they think they can do this by saying "We can hit you too if we want." to russia and china. Of course saying that to China is one thing but I doubt Putin liked it one bit. I think fatty may want to keep a close eye on his diet soon and make sure it's not spiking a geiger counter.

They're playing with fire if they think accidentally hitting Russian territory with a missile test is going to be OK. 60 miles off Vladivostok? Really?

Maybe Putin can go and do the job that neither China nor the US want to do. Everyone knows Putin is ruthless, just ask Chechnya.

Trump dont give a fuck about your deterrence. California gets nuked and he'll smile. People that voted against him would be dead and he'd have a righteous war to boost approval ratings.
Sounds like the next Tom Clancy novel or Kevin Spacey plan.

They're playing with fire if they think accidentally hitting Russian territory with a missile test is going to be OK. 60 miles off Vladivostok? Really?

Maybe Putin can go and do the job that neither China nor the US want to do. Everyone knows Putin is ruthless, just ask Chechnya.
I can't imagine Putin moving enough resources that far East.

Xando

Except for the fact that North Korea never has nor never will possess a credible nuclear deterrence against the United States. A preemptive nuclear strike by the US would obliterate North Korea, let alone their ability to respond with conventional or nuclear weapons. They don't even posses a nuclear triad, so there is no chance their arsenal would be able to survive a preemptive nuclear strike by the United States.
As if the US is ever going to preemptively nuke a country. Let alone a country that would spread fallout all over china and sk.

Kusagari

I have no idea why they're trying to play these games with Putin. He has zero reason to entertain their crap unlike China.

As if the US is ever going to preemptively nuke a country. Let alone a country that would spread fallout all over china and sk.

True. But a preemptive convential strike from an administration that may not understand the consequences is a concern. One would hope that the military would be able to talk Trump out of something like that, but he is desperately in need of a distraction.

enewtabie

Exactly,there's Ohio Class subs near there now. Whats the launch time on those to NK. A few mins at best? People equate Nukes with WW2, but it's several times more on just one and it's 26(I think) on one of those boats. I'm sure there's at least 2-3 in the area. There's never going to be a deterrence.

Biske

Doesn't North Korea have like a million soldiers and an underground network of weapons that we can only speculate about?

As much as North Korea is otherwise hopelessly outmatched, going to war with them would be a horrific debacle on every level.

I don't think the US would go that total war on them.

It doesn't matter, the fact that they posses the capability is what defines the legitimacy of North Korea's nuclear deterrent. North Korea can't survive a US nuclear strike, and therefor can't deter the US from pursuing that course of action.

Exactly,there's Ohio Class subs near there now. Whats the launch time on those to NK. A few mins at best? People equate Nukes with WW2, but it's several times more on just one and it's 26(I think) on one of those boats. I'm sure there's at least 2-3 in the area. There's never going to be a deterrence.

Yes, the Ohio class are one aspect of the nuclear triad. Though I am not even sure if North Korea posses the ability to detect US nuclear launches so I am not sure if reaction time is a factor.

Doesn't North Korea have like a million soldiers and an underground network of weapons that we can only speculate about?

As much as North Korea is otherwise hopelessly outmatched, going to war with them would be a horrific debacle on every level.

North Korean conventional forces would be completely obliterated in a single nuclear strike by the US.

Let me put it into perspective. Assuming they use the maximum possible yield and a maximum number of warheads per missile, a single salvo from an Ohio ballistic missile submarine would posses around 9,120 times the destructive force of the Little Boy bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II...and there are 14 Ohio class ballistic missile submarines in service.

Yes. People seem to think that if NK launched a missile at us, we'd just shoot it down and blow them to bits with no repercussions but it would be so much messier than that.

Beartruck

Yes. People seem to think that if NK launched a missile at us, we'd just shoot it down and blow them to bits with no repercussions but it would be so much messier than that.
Yeah. The DMZ can stop a lot of people but it couldn't take a million man suicide charge. That would fuck Seoul far harder than any artillery strike could.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Didn't North Korea just say a few days ago that there were open to talks with the United States? Better tone down the rhetoric and decide what you want.

So... hypothetically, if North Korea continues to escalate this, what options outside of sanctions does the US have, assuming we intervene? A ground war sounds absurd. We wouldn't use nuclear weapons as a preventative measure. Do we lob a couple tomahawk missiles over at military targets and then hope they don't unload on South Korea? Every option sounds shitty. Even waiting sounds shitty, and that could be the best option.

onken

90% would defect day one.

malfcn

NK is still more likely to nuke themselves. In the end, same result. If they try were to successfully nuke, they would be a memory.

Biske

90% would defect day one.

Maybe.

But I doubt South Koreans would be cool with that assurance.

"doooooooon't worry guys, you probably won't get fucked, let us fuck around and probably a lot will give up? Whats the worst that could happen?"

If we actually attack North Korea and don't cripple their means of attack, the regime basically has no choice but to try and wipe South Korea off the map.

Thats a nightmare scenario under any president, but under baited with a tweet, "people will like it if I fire Comey", "I'd rather be golfing" Trump? Jesus christ.

Don't be so certain its a hunky dory cake walk folks.

Top Bottom