• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zbotlogo.jpg

4447502132_7e8a3f3fcd_o.jpg

3789669653_15da0b9430.jpg

498255846_8a33ee8c19.jpg

Javaman

sVkUB.jpg

The popcorn and skunk immediately come to my sense of smell just looking at these. Despite having not smelled one in almost 30 years.

Edit: oh man and the ice cream and watermelon one and the PIZZA one that smelled more like fruity pizza grease...

Holy shit the memories of that hit me like a lightening bolt.

I had one of these bad boys...

kitt-powercycle2.jpg

My older brother had...

Dark_tower_box_cover.jpg

I never knew how to play the game, but I loved hitting the buttons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70zhwB9h0M

I'm surprised no one's linked the classic McDLT commercial starring Jason Alexander.

And yeah, Transformers were the shit as a kid. Back when they were die-cast metal and could take a ton of abuse. Everyone usually posts the same ones but one of my favorites was this guy:

LrUQw.jpg

Holy crap, that ad is amazing. I probably remember it, but seeing Jason Alexander, it's hilarious. The fact that it's not a parity but feels like it almost has to be is even more amazing.

I was big into the transformers, especially the ones you could assemble voltron style like the constructobots and insecticons. and shockwave was the holy grail number 3 outside of a few others. one of the guys turned into a jet, and that was also the envy of the neighborhood.

Hey!

So, the McD.L.T. came in a Styrofoam box with two burger sized compartments. One half had the top bun, lettuce, tomato, pickles, etc and the other half contained the bottom bun, the burger patty and the cheese. So you opened it, slapped the sandwich together, and enjoyed a fresh burger where the hot stuff was still hot and the cold stuff was still cold! Then the world got uptight about the ozone layer, and McDonalds stopped using Styrofoam and axed the McD.L.T.

Here's George Costanza singing about it when he was still young with a full head of hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

Also, the Insecticons didn't combine, but there were a ton of others that did.

B.K.

Too much:

tumblr_lojei92gBW1qb3mmfo1_500.jpg

Bonkers! I've been trying to remember the name of a candy I used to eat when I was a kid for weeks. It was Bonkers! They don't make them anymore. I'll never get to have another one. :(

My dad used to get these for my sister and me all the time. I'm tempted to buy some.

nUJ7m.jpg

I miss 80s/90s candy.

mf.luder

I need help. Was browsing this thread and it brought back memories of this one TV show. The premise was similar to Power Rangers and they had robots that transformed. From what I recall, and it's limited, there were 2 guys and 1 girl.

I remember playing with the toys at a friends house and was always jealous because my anal parents would never buy me a fighting toy. Help me relive those days!

bengraven

I love these threads and loved Choose Your Own Adventure back in the day. I'd always look through the book to see the most interesting ways to die and what led to the death.

Your post inspired me to look for something.

I've searched for this for over 10 years on the internet, but was never able to find it. In the late 80s I read a CYOA-style book and all I could remember was a guy on a horse in the center, with a sword held up or firing up at something above him. It was incredibly difficult and you died constantly. I remember it was a desert or waste planet and had a map and I could never get beyond the first area of the map.

I could never find the book.

Then inspired by your post I looked again, searching every single "gamebook" series I could find and this time, the ones that I overlooked.

Including the R.L.Stine ones, which I assumed were Goosebumps CYOA.

And fuck me, here it is! Apparently Stine got his start in game books!

My heart trembled because a book I borrowed from the library for two weeks over 20 years ago, surely I would remember it better and this was it. It wasn't exactly what I remembered, but seeing the beast made me realize I was remembering the wrong parts.

And this is why it was so fucking hard:

It has 250 sections and 79 different endings.

harkb.jpg

And the map that solidified that this was the book I was thinking of:

Q9eJs.jpg

I got through the marshlands ONCE by not cheating, but still couldn't keep track of myself enough to get past the petrified forest.

Night%20of%20the%20Living%20Dummy.jpg

Also, can anyone can think of a children's book that involves two young brothers who end up living in a trolley, and steal (or possibly) work for a bakery? I remember this book distinctively but can't find it online.

Also, can anyone can think of a children's book that involves two young brothers who end up living in a trolley, and steal (or possibly) work for a bakery? I remember this book distinctively but can't find it online.

Wasnt that a series of books? Like Box Car Mysteries or something?

I'm 45 years old, many of these toys were after my time, and I was raised by hippies besides, I would have never received anything like them, so I am extremely jealous of you guys! I did have Lincoln Logs (at my grandmother's) and Tinker Toys, lots of art stuff and books.

I have a collector friend who has an anatomically-correct Stretch Armstrong.

way more

Talk about terrible noises...
sObYR.jpg

lazertag.jpg

It even had it's own show that nobody watched.

LazerTag09.jpg

I'm 45 years old, many of these toys were after my time, and I was raised by hippies besides, I would have never received anything like them, so I am extremely jealous of you guys! I did have Lincoln Logs (at my grandmother's) and Tinker Toys, lots of art stuff and books.

I have a collector friend who has an anatomically-correct Stretch Armstrong.

Tell me more

Satyamdas

Banned
vSHGx.jpg

8MBOD.jpg

wKXrL.png

qtZL8.jpg

Millenium Falcon was the fucking holy grail. My brother and I never got one but a friend of ours had one and it was the shit.

Oh, yeah. I loved toy guns in the 80s.

vgunholstertoy.gif

Higher quality models showing off the gun. God, I love the design on the weapons from V.
opb-layout-v-visitor-pistol-shocktrooper-rifle.jpg

17ebd8572b7c6143_large.jpg

From V. I loved how it was the pistol, but you could add the pieces to make it the rifle.

8a1bf9e3678d2bcd_large.jpg

4264cbfb5e6a3129_large.jpg

spaceball.gif

4339464033_e56e3b5c4e_z.jpg

2289068897_65be312337.jpg

2289067895_8c3bc56a38.jpg

None of this bullshit about painting the tip or any part of the gun bright colors. I had so many toy guns when I was a kid. Loved having wars in my backyard with neighbors. Recreating Rambo or Commando.

Satyamdas

Banned
Oh wow. I remember these but I've never seen anyone post them in nostalgia threads. Nice one.

There isn't much that tickles my nostalgia bone more than old 80's clips from 'The Disney Channel'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3jyks3hA7U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteXHOVP_1s&feature=related
The VCR tracking on these clips really gives it that extra nostalgia kick. I used to love the DTV and Donald Duck Presents intros too. Man that channel used to be so good.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I actually still have this.

teenage_mutant_ninja_turtle_stocking_2_brandon_rez_flowood_8161514.jpg

It was the stocking I had the year I got my Super Nintendo. Christmas 1991.

What the fuck is this sorcery...I had this exact same one and completely forgot about it until just now...

That thing was soft as fuck and felt great against my face

Oh wow. I remember these but I've never seen anyone post them in nostalgia threads. Nice one.

The VCR tracking on these clips really gives it that extra nostalgia kick. I used to love the DTV and Donald Duck Presents intros too. Man that channel used to be so good.

Oh, man, Donald Duck Presents. Gotta love that 80's bass.

In the early 80's, my mornings generally consisted of Mousercize, Good Morning Mickey, The Raccoons, Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, and Donald Duck Presents.

I'd usually switch it over to Nickelodeon as soon as the non-cartoony stuff came on, though. Hah.

I had like two hundred M.U.S.C.L.E. dudes. They were so much fun. Ironically, I hate professional wrestling.

And I still remember clearly pulling one of those octopus "wall walkers" out of a box of apple jacks. I remember being at a friend's house for a sleepover and commenting about my mom not letting me eat anything except cheerios for breakfast. Then I pulled that toy out of the box and was like, "WHY DOES MY MOTHER HATE ME?"

LOL. kids are funny.

I really need to search my mom's house for this game. I remember loving this game when it came out. Hell, I still remember when I went to Toys R Us to buy it with my grandmother.
Pro-tip:

If you find it, keep it. It's value has increased much more than other board games from the same time, and as a bonus it's still an awesome game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom