• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel way to map a virtual QWERTY Keyboard to a controller (SCEA)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So, basically there's 3 by 3 grid and you enter characters like a telephone? Or similiar to the way you send text messages on cell phones

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wario64 said:
So, basically there's 3 by 3 grid and you enter chararacters like a telephone? Or similiar to the way you send text messages on cell phones

In most cell-phones you have to click the same button again to get it to change selected letter (or use the jog dial).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Panajev2001a said:
In most cell-phones you have to click the same button again to get it to change selected letter (or use the jog dial).

I haven't read through it.... but did they basically just take the idea of how you can quick type on a cell phone and transpose that idea to hitting a cellphone like grid on the screen?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Err yeah, but if I'm reading it right, first you select one of the 9 buttons on the grid for a set of characters, then another button after that for a character in the set of characters previously selected?

If so, I'm up for it. It beats typing out sentences on an on-screen QWERTY keyboard in HSG4

My idea:

Two-hemisphere horizontally-oriented ellipse. First 13 letters on top, last 13 letters on the bottom. By either being prompted into the alphanumeric input mode via menu option, toggle with key, or a hold by key, you move one analog stick up/down and to the direction of the corresponding letter. If the stick is kept neutral, there is the option of creating spaces and moving and/or deleting already selected values in the current field by moving to the left or right. Click in the analog stick and it confirms the selection. Another key could be held to toggle case and symbols/numbers.

And yeah, the BG&E spiral design keyboard was great.

Jesiatha

[0012] under Description is pretty cool. Instead of pressing the 2 three times to get a C (once to get an A, twice to get a B, three times to get a C), you just press it once. Then as you spell out the word, it guesses the most likely word based on a dictionary.

The example given: press 2 and get "A", press 6 and get "AM", press 9 and it changes to "BOY".

Probably be a huge pain to enter names or anything else not in the dictionary.

Prospero

Kiriku said:
Nothing beats the character input in Beyond Good & Evil.

Yeah--at first I thought it was just gimmicky, but after playing with it I think that every single game should steal it.

Fowler

Jesiatha said:
[0012] under Description is pretty cool. Instead of pressing the 2 three times to get a C (once to get an A, twice to get a B, three times to get a C), you just press it once. Then as you spell out the word, it guesses the most likely word based on a dictionary.

The example given: press 2 and get "A", press 6 and get "AM", press 9 and it changes to "BOY".

Probably be a huge pain to enter names or anything else not in the dictionary.

Er, that'd be predictive text on a mobile phone, like the popular T9 system...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BG&E method of text input is not bad (better than QUERTY on-screen keyboard, that for sure), but it's still too slow. What they have patented here is the method used to input text on the PS2 online setup disc, and it's actually fairly efficient and fast.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Panajev2001a said:

Most cell phones now have predictive text which negates the multiple button press. The predictive text on my Nokia 3650 is fantastic.

FightyF

Banned
Has anyone here tried the LinXbox web browser for the Xbox? It's pretty fast and easy to type in stuff. I haven't used it too much, but I've memorized some letters and can do things lightning quick without thinking.

Breif explanation:

Around the perimeter of the screen are 8 boxes (top-left, top, top right, middle-left, middle-right, etc.) and when you push the analog stick into one of them, it opens up a tiny menu telling which 4 letters are assigned to the 4 face buttons on the controller. So if I push it into the bottom-left, it'll show me A, B, C, and D mapped onto X, Y, A and B.

So you push the stick and click. Once familiarized with it you'll be able to do the motion in one stroke for each letter.

I'd like to try BG&E's interface. It's a fascination of mine, because years ago I felt that if someone could set up a method for fast typing on cell phones and patent it, they'd be rich. Nowadays you have the phones doing the predicting stuff with it's built in dictionary, so scratch that idea.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Around the perimeter of the screen are 8 boxes (top-left, top, top right, middle-left, middle-right, etc.) and when you push the analog stick into one of them, it opens up a tiny menu telling which 4 letters are assigned to the 4 face buttons on the controller. So if I push it into the bottom-left, it'll show me A, B, C, and D mapped onto X, Y, A and B.
That's exactly how this patented method works, and it has first been used on their PS2 network disc. It's probably the fastest controller based text input method there is.

Predictive methods are great (at least on SE's and Nokia's phones) if you input text in English, but for the more obscure languages, they are of course completely useless.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Marconelly said:
That's exactly how this patented method works, and it has first been used on their PS2 network disc. It's probably the fastest controller based text input method there is.

Predictive methods are great (at least on SE's and Nokia's phones) if you input text in English, but for the more obscure languages, they are of course completely useless.

I'm not sure I understand you. Of course it's useless if you try to input words from other languages while have English text prediction on. But there are text predicition functions in other languages too. I don't know how obscure you'd consider Swedish to be, but we do have just as good text prediction (T9) here too, for example. :p

Dagon

This sounds like the system developed for use in Eye Toy Chat. I used it on Wednesday at a Sony event. (The story should be up on Kikizo soon.)

Basically, this is how it works: There are eight clusters of four characters mapped to the analog stick. Pushing up with the left analog stick activates the UP cluster of four characters. These four are arranged in a cross shape and are accessed by pressing one of the corresponding face buttons.

The UP cluster contains a, b, c and d mapped to Triangle, Circle, X and Square. The characters are arranged clockwise within clusters, and the clusters themselves are arranged clockwise. Pressing a shoulder trigger allows you to switch cases and select either symbols of emoticons.

So, to type 'a', all you do is press Up on the analog stick and press Triangle.

The system is very intuitive and is WAY better than the crappy onscreen keyboard used at the moment. There's even a mini-game that lets you get up to speed with the typing system.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dagon, yeah, that is the same system. IMO, it's just a matter of time before Sony starts using it globally on PS anything.

I don't know how obscure you'd consider Swedish to be
Not very :p However, the thing is, I live in Canada, and my phone purchased here supports T9 for English and possibly French - however, I use SMS mostly for messaging people in Europe (when I need to communicate with people here, it's much easier to just give them a call), from non-English speaking countries, so T9 is pretty much completely useless to me.

Jesiatha

Fowler said:
Er, that'd be predictive text on a mobile phone, like the popular T9 system...

Ah. I don't have a mobile phone, and my wife only has some old clunker, so I don't know what the new phones have :)

Senretsu

They showed the linux xbox web browser on TSS a few weeks ago, it sounds just like this. Its a little confusing from the description but once you see it in action it makes perfect sense. Not sure how easy to use it is as I've never used it. too bad they got beat to the patent.

Top Bottom