• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Black Panther is out, rank your top 5 MCU films

Logan/X-Men franchise (thus far) is not MCU.

I’m sorry but I’m OCD about this, can’t let this go.

If the question was just “Marvel comics inspired movies” or “comic book movies” my list would be way different. Blade is awesome. Blade isn’t MCU either.

The question is MCU movies, so that means:

Thor (three movies)
Iron Man (three movies)
Captain America (three movies)
Avengers (two movies)
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Spidey: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy (two movies)
Black Panther
The Incredible Hulk (I had forgotten this was MCU canon)

Do people really not know the difference between MCU and Sony/Marvel or are they just ignoring the distinction

Yes, to me Marvel/MCU just means Marvel comic movies

Thor (three movies) Didnt see any
Iron Man (three movies) Saw the first two
Captain America (three movies) Saw the first two, I have no idea what the third one even is? The world war 2 one and winter soldier are all i remeber
Avengers (two movies) Saw the first
Doctor Strange Never watched
Ant-Man Never watched
Spidey: Homecoming Never watched
Guardians of the Galaxy (two movies) Never watched
Black Panther Never watched
The Incredible Hulk (I had forgotten this was MCU canon) Never watched

VulcanRaven

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
4. Iron Man
5. The Avengers

This was hard. Ant-Man and Iron Man 3 would be next. Many people seems to hate Iron Man 3 for some reason but I thought it was good. I haven't seen it since it came out so my opinion could change if I watched it again.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
1. Avengers
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Winter Soldier
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. Iron Man

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Black Panther
Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Thor Ragnarok
Civil War

This thread reminds me Guardian of the Galaxy 2 is the only mcu movie I haven't seen,but seeing as I didn't care for the first one that much I can't be arsed to watch it

paolo11

I like them all honestly but I would rank the first Captain America movie the lowest (not saying it sucks. It’s just my least favorite of MCU)

Maybe you should just accept that Black Panther is a good movie AND that there are millions of black moviegoers who have been waiting for this to happen. There is clearly an audience for black superheroes. Just accept that not all superheroes have to be white men.
Eh, not so much about accepting black people as superheroes (we have years ago with Blade) more about a film being more critically praised for pandering to a certain political demographic. Not saying the films bad, but 97% my butthole.

camelCase

1) Dolph Lundgren Punisher
2) Dolph Lundgren Punisher
3) Dolph Lundgren Punisher
4) Dolph Lundgren Punisher
5) Dolph Lundgren Punisher

dbztrk

1. Captain America - The Winter Soldier
2. Black Panther
3. Captain America - Civil War
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Avengers

Fbh

Haven't seen Black Panther yet.

From the rest I'd say, in no particular order:
Thor Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man 1
Avengers 1
Winter Soldier.

least favourite is probably Iron Man 3 (liked it even less than 2 which was already bad).
I also surprisingly didn't care for Spider man Homecoming. Just found it boring

LordPezix

Man I just saw it, and I did not like it at all. I could've easily walked out on that movie.

Shit man that's two for two for me on Disney lately, hated the new Star Wars, and now Black Panther let me down.

Not trying to spoil anything but I felt they should have played more on the story of the "First" bad guy and not on the "Second", if that makes sense.

rokkerkory

1. Winter Soldier
2. Black Panther
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Iron Man
5. Avengers

Have a feeling Infinity Wars will be in top 5

longdi

Banned
Avengers 1
Guardian 1
Iron man 1
Spiderman HC(!)
Thor 1(!)

Im a fan of origin movies, a little more world building and not falling into the trap of needing to be bigger more forced escalation!

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
1) Iron Man
2) Cap: Winter Soldier
3) Guardians of the Galaxy
4) Spider-Man: Homecoming
5) Antman / Dr. Strange

manfestival

my top 5... this is hard hmmm
1. Ironman 1 (simply because I have always been a fan and it is what set everything off. Also Ironman 3 might be the worst of the MCU)
2. Avengers 1
3. Doctor Strange
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
5. Avengers 2
I suppose this would be my list. Only movie I havent seen yet is Thor Ragnarok. This is also looking at MCU and not at Marvel movies in general.

hivsteak

From what I remember I liked the first Iron Man and the rest are a blur. I put these kinds of movies on in the background while I do something else. The cringe and generic structure of every entry is off putting

kunonabi

Thread got me thinking about my entire rankings and right now it looks like:

Tier 1:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: The First Avenger

Tier 2:

Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man
The Avengers
Iron Man 3

Tier 3:
Thor
Doctor Strange

Tier 4:
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
Thor: Ragnarok

Garbage:
The Incredible Hulk

Never going to watch:
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Civil War is probably the hardest for me to place as it sort of sits between Tier 1 and Tier 2 in all honesty.

longdi

Banned
Forgot about antman, that was also a fun ride, tier 1 stuff.

Never going to watch:

I watched homecoming lttp, it was good, antman good, most memorable mcu villian too.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion

Tier 1:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: The First Avenger

Tier 2:

Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man
The Avengers
Iron Man 3

Tier 3:
Thor
Doctor Strange

Tier 4:
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
Thor: Ragnarok

Garbage:
The Incredible Hulk

Never going to watch:

Civil War is probably the hardest for me to place as it sort of sits between Tier 1 and Tier 2 in all honesty.

Honestly - Homecoming is worth watching. It's probably the better Spidey movie out of all including the Tobey Maguire ones. More comedic and light.

longdi

Banned
I vehemently disagree with this, homecoming was bland as fuck..great casting for Spiderman tho
I disagree with you, BP is the one that is bland as fuck.
Homecoming has a followable plot while BP tried but delivered unconvincing results.

Last edited:
I disagree with you, BP is the one that is bland as fuck.
Homecoming has a followable plot while BP tried but delivered unconvincing results.
BP was nothing special but I woul much rather see it again than Homecoming, Homecoming is even worse than Spierman 3 for me because Spiderman 3 at the very least makes a decent comedy unintentionally. With the casting I was hoping for a live action Spectacular Spiderman but got a bland by the number film.

MilkyJoe

Logan
Iron Man
Captain America

The rest are boring AF.

Not seen BP and after the CGI fighting in the trailer, I'm unlikely to bother, even if it's on TV.

Ka-Kui

BP was nothing special but I woul much rather see it again than Homecoming, Homecoming is even worse than Spierman 3 for me because Spiderman 3 at the very least makes a decent comedy unintentionally. With the casting I was hoping for a live action Spectacular Spiderman but got a bland by the number film.
I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and I see where you're going with this.

Homecoming betrays a lot of key Spider-Man tropes. As a Spidey fan it's a bit hard to swallow. But if I were to look at it outside of my fanboy lens I'd say it's a decent to good movie, however it seems to get worse after each viewing.

Spectacular was probably the best adaptation of Spider-Man to any form of media ever. A Spidey fanboy's dream adaptation. It spins the classic stories, mixes it a bit with the Ultimate line and makes it its own. I don't think any future adaptation is going to to come close.

Ka-Kui

Winter soldier seems to be in nearly every list. Why is it so good?
It's a really good combination of intrigue, eapionage, conspiracy and superhuman action combined with the hero's personal conflict.

On top of that you got the really cool Winter Soldier himself with the typical rival trope executed really well.

The supporting characters really shine here too, Sam Jackson's Nick Fury really shines with sone cool setups, as does Scarlett Johanssen's Black Widow and for me this is the most likeable she's been. The supporting characters never come close to outshining Captain America himself, which is where Black Panther fails.

This movie also has probably the best choreographed action and fights out of the entire MCU. Civil War kind of dropped the ball because it feels like they got completely different people to do the action sequences in the sequel,because it doesn't come close to what we got in Winter Soldier.

It's so well balanced and well paced with a really satisfying climax that pays off on all the buildup. Overall this movie is almost a live action anime done with a Hollywood budget.

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and I see where you're going with this.

Homecoming betrays a lot of key Spider-Man tropes. As a Spidey fan it's a bit hard to swallow. But if I were to look at it outside of my fanboy lens I'd say it's a decent to good movie, however it seems to get worse after each viewing.

Spectacular was probably the best adaptation of Spider-Man to any form of media ever. A Spidey fanboy's dream adaptation. It spins the classic stories, mixes it a bit with the Ultimate line and makes it its own. I don't think any future adaptation is going to to come close.
This sums up my feeling exactly Spiderman us actually my second favorite hero as well and I absolutely adore Spectacular Spiderman and think it's the best version of the character so when Holland was casted I kinda stupidly in retrospect assumed we would be getting a live action version of that and was massively dissapointed with the end result. When I see people saying it's better than Raimi's movie I just can't understand that point of view at all

kunonabi

Honestly - Homecoming is worth watching. It's probably the better Spidey movie out of all including the Tobey Maguire ones. More comedic and light.

I'm sure it's probably a decent flick but I have no interest in more teen spidey, all the ultimate influences or the tony/peter dynamic. I've accepted that Spider-Man flicks outside of the first ASM just aren't for me. Hell, Spider-Man as a whole isnt for me anymore outside of renew your vows.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
  • 1. Avengers
  • 2. Civil War
  • 3. GotG 1
  • 4. GotG 2
  • 5. Thor Ragnorok
  • 6. Winter Soldier
  • 7. SM Homecoming
  • 8. Antman
  • 9. Iron Man 2
  • 10. Dr. Strange
  • 11. Iron Man 1
  • 12. Iron Man 3
  • 13. Hulk
  • 14. Thor 2
  • 15. Captain America
Have not seen BP ;)

*Bump*

Now that I have seen Infinity War, which I loved, I am ready to add mine! I only need to watch Ant-Man and the Wasp!

MCU:

1. Thor Ragnarok
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Iron Man 1
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Part 1 / 2 (tied)

Non-MCU:

1. Unbreakable
2. Logan
3. Days of Future Past
4. First Class
5. Nolan Batman Trilogy

JimiNutz

Banned
I've seen them all and my current ranks would be:

1. Winter Solider
2. Infinity War
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Avengers
5. Civil War

Non MCU (but still Marvel)

1. Deadpool
2. Logan
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Blade
5. Spider-Man 1

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I don't get all of the BP hype. I can't remember anything really about it. Forgettable.

1. Iron Man
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Avengers
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Avengers: Infinity War

I've seen them all and my current ranks would be:

1. Winter Solider
2. Infinity War
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Avengers
5. Civil War

Non MCU (but still Marvel)

1. Deadpool
2. Logan
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Blade
5. Spider-Man 1

Thank you for separating the non-MCU films. People putting Logan on their list cause me to REE so hard the police get involved and I’m running out of litigation funds.

Great list by the way. I’m with you on the non-MCU all the way.

Iron-Man has to be on my MCU list tho. The OG

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Thank you for separating the non-MCU films. People putting Logan on their list cause me to REE so hard the police get involved and I’m running out of litigation funds.

Great list by the way. I’m with you on the non-MCU all the way.

Iron-Man has to be on my MCU list tho. The OG

Iron Man was a great start to the MCU and def deserves props for that but I don't particular enjoy watching it now and would much rather watch the other films on my list instead. It's probably top 10 MCU but I personally wouldn't put it top 5 just because it was the film that started it all. I know I'm in the minority here but I also prefer the first Cap movie over Iron Man 1 but I get that's probably just me being weird.

Top Bottom