• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now this is a beautiful car

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

The Porsche 918 Spyder concept combines high-tech racing features with electric-mobility to offer a fascinating range of qualities. For example, it is planned to provide an emission level of just 70 grams of CO2 per kilometer on fuel consumption of only three liters/100 kilometers (equal to approximately 78 mpg U.S.), which is truly outstanding, even for an ultra-compact city car. This car, however, is intended to offer the performance of a super sports car with acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in just under 3.2 seconds, top speed of 320 km/h (198 mph), and a lap time on the Nordschleife of Nurburgring in less than 7:30 minutes, faster than even the Porsche Carrera GT.

Porsche_Spyder918-537x396.jpg

Parallel full hybrid; 4.6-liter V8 mid-engine with dry-sump lubrication; hybrid module with electric motor and decoupler; electric motor with decoupler and gear unit on front axle; auto start/stop function; electrical system recuperation; four cooling circuits for motors, transmission and battery; thermal management.

2013-Porsche-918-Spyder-Hybrid-Supercar-2.jpg

BUT
Running on the electric motor only gives you a range of 18 miles.

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=787

Oh what's the price you ask- in this case if you have to ask you cannot afford it-
$845,000

Would be nice though.

slider

From the small glimpses I've had of it (online!) I thought it was quite pleasant on the eye.

As for the consumption figures... they seem too good to be true.

Not digging it. Granted, I've never been overly fond of Porsche designs but I do like the Cayman and the Carrera GT. I hate the Panamera and Cayenne with a passion.

strata8

The MPG figures for these plug-in hybrids are such bullshit. The European test cycle allows a recharge every 75km and the automakers conveniently ignore the electricity that comes from the grid. The XL1 in particular can travel 50km on electricity so Volkswagen is allowed (for some reason) to say "Wow! In 75km the XL1 only used [whatever amount was used in 25km] of diesel. That's 260mpg!"

I can't wait for the EPA to slap them into submission.

TheMan

this bad boy set a world record at the 'ring earlier this month, 6:57 with an average speed of 111.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom