• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastor

Ludicrous speed is such a dumb marketing term. It's like they are trying to be Apple and come up with products terms (retina display) but it's pretty cringey.

How do you not get the joke? Are you 14 years of age or been in prison most of your life?

They would have to find a way to shift gears in a car that only has one forward gear.

Yeah those FF movies have taught me that cars only upshift, never downshift. So they all must have like 34 gears or something.

Radec

Can't wait for my son/grandson to drive me around with an electric vehicle alongside with other electric vehicle in the future.

nitewulf

Porsches are so ugly, good lord.

uhhh what?

Porsche-356-A-2.jpg

Now that Mercedes and other German brands are investing in electric cars that will be out in a few years, isn't that trouble for Tesla? Unlike Tesla which loses money, Mercedes makes boatloads of it. If they bring out a luxury sedan with good build quality and matching prices, I know which one I would pick.

Korey

How do you not get the joke? Are you 14 years of age or been in prison most of your life?

Yeah those FF movies have taught me that cars only upshift, never downshift. So they all must have like 34 gears or something.

Lol what? They named a mode after Luda because of F&F?

Neo C.

Now that Mercedes and other German brands are investing in electric cars that will be out in a few years, isn't that trouble for Tesla?
It's actually good for Tesla, because the more electric cars are on the street, the higher is the need for charging stations. So eventually, driving electric is going to be very relaxing with dozens of charging stations within a reasonable range.

Unlike Tesla which loses money, Mercedes makes boatloads of it. If they bring out a luxury sedan with good build quality and matching prices, I know which one I would pick.
Tesla is far ahead in scaling and is only losing money because of the aggressive strategy. The cars themselves are profitable.
Unless the German carmakers make a drastic change in strategy, they won't be able to compete neither in this field nor in the hybrid segment. It's simply not cost effective when they only make hundreds of electric cars per year, when the competition has plans for over 100k cars per year.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's actually good for Tesla, because the more electric cars are on the street, the higher is the need for charging stations. So eventually, driving electric is going to be very relaxing with dozens of charging stations within a reasonable range.

Tesla is far ahead in scaling and is only losing money because of the aggressive strategy. The cars themselves are profitable.
Unless the German carmakers make a drastic change in strategy, they won't be able to compete neither in this field nor in the hybrid segment. It's simply not cost effective when they only make hundreds of electric cars per year, when the competition has plans for over 100k cars per year.

Their operating income is negative. How is that possible if every car is profitable. Capital expenditure for expansion plans are separate from operations.

kharma45

Don't be so naive. The big players would have no issue ramping up and going full electric if it suited them.

Concept17

Don't be so naive. The big players would have no issue ramping up and going full electric if it suited them.

They didn't create these things overnight.

However, I seem to recall Musk saying he was planning on releasing the blueprints or whatever to other companies to help quicken the adoption of electric. Not sure if that happened or not.

milanbaros

Member?
Their operating income is negative. How is that possible if every car is profitable. Capital expenditure for expansion plans are separate from operations.

The gross profit on the cars is positive. If you look at operating costs a huge chunk is research and development.

I think the Mercedes argument was more valid 4 years ago but the truth is Tesla are now selling >$1bn of electric cars a quarter. They are scaling up and releasing new models. They have a worldwide network of retailers and charging stations.

All of these things are in the process of growth. Yes, the German automakers are a big threat but Tesla isn't a start up anymore.

numble

Capital expenditure is amortized and effects operating income, it just doesn't isn't fully deducted in the current period.

dohdeaux

It's a car that is fucking fast and you never have to buy gas. Why does it have to become a pissing contest where people feel they have to compare it to what other companies are doing down the line or will overtake because their company makes money. The company is trying to make a car that is "sustainable". You can plug it to the fucking wall like a damn washing machine. Ok, this car is more lavish and plush than the tesla, what the fuck ever. The guy is taking risk that no large car company ever gave a damn about. Pushing out the same cars with mild enhancements every few years. I'm glad he's challenging them to better themselves. The model S may not have the best time on Nurburgring but tell me which of your lavish cars you can plug to a wall.

subrock

Here's a sober opinion on the matter

https://medium.com/@vincepaver/on-the-contrary-tesla-burns-less-than-0-6b29104cd3e5#.ypfjimhwr

Every other major manufacturer is at least 5 years behind tesla. Daimler is only just now announcing plans for their electric fleet due out in 3 years time. Even if they wanted a 2018 model to sell 500k of, there literally aren't enough batteries in existence to put into them. A mass market car at this point takes a gigafactory, and as Elon put it "we know no one else is building one because you could see it from space".

Day in day out you really appreciate the acceleration speed much more than top end speed.

I hope more cars (electric) focus on this and lose way by focusing on the top end speed game.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Day in day out you really appreciate the acceleration speed much more than top end speed.

I hope more cars (electric) focus on this and lose way by focusing on the top end speed game.

Top speed is worthless anyway, unless you're into competitive racing. Every single car I can afford has a top speed higher than the maximum allowed speed. For road-use, I prefer faster acceleration over higher top speed any day.

This is exciting, but the car is still twice the price and has half the range that it needs before the average American starts gravitating towards electric cars.

KeRaSh

So are they using the new battery form factor that they will be using for the Model 3?
Interesting news nonetheless.

krang

My next car will definitely be electric.

I really wish I could, but I do too many miles for it to be realistic. A guaranteed 300+ mile range (not a quoted range) would probably start to make it look viable.

I can't justify the price of performance S variants, but if they had that battery in a cheaper trim, I'd really consider it.

Uh what? BMW sells like 50k electric cars (i3 and i8) per year right now.

Abounder

Banned
Tesla's so far ahead of the competition that it's uncanny. Sets the benchmark for not only speed but silence, and autopilot. As for the track drawbacks - if you can afford a S then you can probably rent or get another toy for those rare occasions.

hodgy100

I will own a tesla at some point, I'm determined too I just love the push of high end tech and innovation that no other car manufacturer seems to do.

krang

It'll be fun for Tesla when other car manufacturers have to buy batteries from them.

That's probably what they're banking on. With the best will in the world, I think it's evident that they won't be hugely profitable (if at all) as a car manufacturer. But using their cars to promote their batteries seems like a plan that will make them incredibly lucrative.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
This is exciting, but the car is still twice the price and has half the range that it needs before the average American starts gravitating towards electric cars.

You can get a brand new Model S with 218 miles range for $66k cash right now, and that's before the $7500 federal tax credit and any state incentives. That includes free access to the SuperCharger network, but even without that if you charge overnight most people won't come close to running out of charge unless you're on a long trip -- and even then there are hundreds of SuperCharger stations, Tesla "destination" chargers at hotels & restaurants all over, and thousands of compatible non-Tesla charging stations.

Yeah, even the base model isn't a cheap car, but the point is you don't have to spend $134k and if you look closely at your own driving habits you may find the range isn't the issue you might think. YMMV of course.

Mercedes already announced that they won't cooperate with Tesla in the future (in terms of batteries) and that they will invest 500m € into a new Lithium-Ion Battery factory. I'm pretty sure that other car manufacturers will do the same.

Kalamoj

Every other major manufacturer is at least 5 years behind tesla. Daimler is only just now announcing plans for their electric fleet due out in 3 years time. Even if they wanted a 2018 model to sell 500k of, there literally aren't enough batteries in existence to put into them. A mass market car at this point takes a gigafactory, and as Elon put it "we know no one else is building one because you could see it from space".

You think the car industry operates in tiny garages? This is just marketing bs.

krang

Mercedes already announced that they won't cooperate with Tesla in the future (in terms of batteries) and that they will invest 500m € into a new Lithium-Ion Battery factory. I'm pretty sure that other car manufacturers will do the same.

That won't happen. Nissan-Renault are the current leaders for battery tech (until Gigafactory supplants them) and they already have partnerships to sell their batteries to many other manufacturers - Daimler included.

I mean, how long have we had ICEs? And yet still we see Renault power plants in the A-class, and the A-class chassis in the Q30. There's no reason to believe that new power train technology won't be restricted to a select few manufacturers and shared.

If Tesla become the biggest manufacturer of battery tech, then I'd be very surprised if a large number of OEMs don't buy them.

Tesla's so far ahead of the competition that it's uncanny. Sets the benchmark for not only speed but silence, and autopilot. As for the track drawbacks - if you can afford a S then you can probably rent or get another toy for those rare occasions.

what was the benchmark they set for autopilot? most cars to crash?

and what is the benchmark for speed? the Turbo S already does 2.5s to 60.

KeRaSh

VW already got the OK from the board of directors to build a gigafactory. Tesla still has a giant lead on the competition if everyone else only starts to act now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom