• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla (temporarily) remotely extends range of vehicles for free in Florida

I'm too late to add some reason to the vitriol in this thread but Tesla software limits battery range as part of their battery management system. The installed batteries are larger capacity than the advertised range so they can correctly manage them for over-charging / discharging. This is how they have very little capacity loss over the total life of the vehicle.

KeRaSh

So at some point they sold a 60KWh car that actually had a 60KWh battery right? What was the price of that car compared to the 60KWh car that actually has a 75KWh battery in it?

According to this comparison the car got cheaper, even though you got a bigger but software limited battery and a bunch of other extras with it.

So, three years later, the new car is $1,620 cheaper than my original car. If we account for inflation, the price of the new 60 declines to $68,350 in 2013 dollars—about $4,800 less than my original.

Despite the lower price tag, the new 60 has a number of features mine lacked. Among them:

Full turn-by-turn navigation
Automatic keyless entry and walk-away locking.
Center console
Automatic emergency braking and side collision avoidance.
Parking sensors
LED headlights
Folding heated side mirrors

The new 60 also has two major software upgrades available: a 75-kWh battery ($8,500), and Autopilot ($2,500).

Thet battery-upgrade option is about half what I paid for mine back in 2013. (Tesla, by the way, no longer does the 60-to-85 upgrade at all.)

Can't wait to see how GAF tries to spin this...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
GAF's naivety about how selling electronics works channeled into hate for our Lord and Saviour Elon is baffling to me.

Bailing out of this shitshow.

i last joined in on page five, i can't believe we're at like 10 pages already.

Its amazing a bunch of non tesla owners are upset about this. I'm a member of several tesla owners groups because friends know i want one, and i haven't seen a single actual tesla owner complain about this.

the story should actually be Tesla doing something good for its owners.

I've said it others have said it, none of this is cloak and dagger, its all very open. Anyone who bought a 60kw car would have to be willfully ignorant to not realize that they paid less for a 75kw battery that they could upgrade.

Every tesla comes with all the hardware for the autopilot software. Are you guys upset that you can buy the car without the autopilot software that you can buy later? Its the same fucking thing.

ITT entitled, uninformed, non Tesla owners are freaking out about something that has been in place for years and has already been discontinued since at the end people liked to get the cars cheaper and still get the benefits that I listed above so Tesla was basically missing out on part of their margins because not enough owners actually upgraded in the end. Tesla is not a charity.

Not only just "non Tesla owners," but I don't think I've read a negative response from anyone who is going to buy a Model 3. I'm absolutely fine with this business model. I can't really afford the fully-autonomous driving option right now (and I want to be sure it's not state-governmentally banned), but I'm damn glad I can simply pay the upgrade cost in the future. No difference.

Not only just "non Tesla owners," but I don't think I've read a negative response from anyone who is going to buy a Model 3. I'm absolutely fine with this business model. I can't really afford the fully-autonomous driving option right now (and I want to be sure it's not state-governmentally banned), but I'm damn glad I can simply pay the upgrade cost in the future. No difference.
Exactly. No owners are complaining because we know what we paid for and what we can unlock via upgrades. Like you said, Model 3 owners are not complaining either. I don't get this thread at all. You pay for what you get and if you want more, you pay more.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Exactly. No owners are complaining because we know what we paid for and what we can unlock via upgrades. Like you said, Model 3 owners are not complaining either. I don't get this thread at all. You pay for what you get and if you want more, you pay more.

Lots of people are very concerned that you have been brainwashed by this evil corporation and that NO IT'S NOT SOFTWARE THOUGH IT'S HARDWARE AND THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO SODA SOON.

Lots of people are very concerned that you have been brainwashed by this evil corporation and that NO IT'S NOT SOFTWARE THOUGH IT'S HARDWARE AND THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO SODA SOON.
People will say that, yes. I just know the information pertaining to the product I purchased.

i last joined in on page five, i can't believe we're at like 10 pages already.

Its amazing a bunch of non tesla owners are upset about this. I'm a member of several tesla owners groups because friends know i want one, and i haven't seen a single actual tesla owner complain about this.

the story should actually be Tesla doing something good for its owners.

I've said it others have said it, none of this is cloak and dagger, its all very open. Anyone who bought a 60kw car would have to be willfully ignorant to not realize that they paid less for a 75kw battery that they could upgrade.

Every tesla comes with all the hardware for the autopilot software. Are you guys upset that you can buy the car without the autopilot software that you can buy later? Its the same fucking thing.

It makes sense that people who invested in the product are ok with it, and those that choose not to invest are more likely to complain about it... I don't think that really proves much other than people who skew towards accepting the practice are more likely to try the product, and vice versa.

I personally don't see the autopilot as the same situation - that product will require constant updates and tweaking, the infrastructure required to maintain I can justify Tesla charging extra for it.

I do have a hard time seeing why people are so upset in either direction - I happen to be mildly disappointed that this practice has seeped into a new and burgeoning industry, but it would just be one factor among many to consider when purchasing. IMO, it doesn't do anything to encourage loyalty, because lowering the price point of the longer range model would show time that the company put the customer as a higher priority than most industries do. I don't get really worked up about it though.

I have been part of an organization that did this practice of limiting access to customers when it cost them nothing, and in that scenario it generated much more short term revenue at the cost of long term customer loyalty and product quality. It's a rather specific scenario, but in my part time job teaching martial arts (Brazilian jiu jitsu), it can take years to move between levels.

The organization realized that it could raise the prices of tuition for full access to the academy - suddenly long term students were charged for the ability to train with people of different levels, and new students joined at a "lower" rate while being restricted from training with anyone but lower ranks. Unless you paid a premium fee, then you could join any class. The thinking was that they could gouge the higher level students for higher rates, while elongating the beginner phase of new students, milking them for a longer amount of time in a sport where the phase after beginner has a high rate of attrition.

The formula worked really well while the owner was still a big name in the UFC, but as more and more competition opened up in the area, students realized they were little more than a bottom line to the owner, and numbers dwindled. Furthermore, the quality of the product dwindled, as limiting access to varied levels of training offers unique insights into the sport.

I don't see this as a cautionary tale for Tesla, but I do see it as a cautionary tale for consumers. It has made me much more likely to buy from a business that shows more than cursory care for the customer (especially when it doesn't provide PR), because the culture of the business is skewed towards valuing the customer. The result is usually a more positive product experience regarding the intangibles.

III-V

Its not uncommon in the least for engineering test equipment companies to actually ship out items fully capable inside, but purchased from the consumer at a much limited capability, at a much cheaper than 'fully loaded" price, with customers able to later purchase upgrades by simply making a phone call and getting a unique key code, either permanent of temporary. Literally thousands and thousand of dollars in hardware sitting idle inside, because it is cheaper for them to make it all the same, and ship with this capability then to remove the hardware in the first place.

And yes, they do this with the software as well.

Don't at all understand the frustration here. This isn't something they've been hiding. Anywho,Sounds like a really sweet gesture by Tesla.

Sorry, this thread is long and I didn't really want to read through 11 pages. But what is Tesla's reasoning for this? If someone is uisng 60 vs 75, but they have the 75 battery anyway, does it in some way cost Tesla more for them to be using 75? I don't fully get it. If they are using the 75 batteries anyway, why not just let them use the max.

Kyzer

Banned
Sorry, this thread is long and I didn't really want to read through 11 pages. But what is Tesla's reasoning for this? If someone is uisng 60 vs 75, but they have the 75 battery anyway, does it in some way cost Tesla more for them to be using 75? I don't fully get it. If they are using the 75 batteries anyway, why not just let them use the max.

Because it costs less to produce that way, and therefore the cheaper option becomes even more affordable, and they make more profit/sales. Also less wasteful to produce. Also allows the customer to pay less for the vehicle to be able to afford it and then upgrade it later. The only way they could "just let them use the max" is if they devalue their original product and basically just decide they dont need to be making that much profit and that it would be nice to give away their best car for the same price as the cheaper option because it would be nice or whatever. The only real issue anybody has managed to bring up about this is the question of DRM and CFW/mods. Everything else (slippery slope, evil Musk, "MUSK IS NOT JESUS CHRIST OKAY?") isn't really a concern considering this is one of the unicorn cases that rarely even exist where a free market type would love to point out as a good example of pro-consumer options. Obviously a dark world where you cant modify your car or dont own what you paid for, or where TV manufacturers disable HDMI ports, are all scary scenarios, but it doesnt change the fact that this one instance is a good thing that basically just results in a more affordable option. As to whether or not Elon Musk is the lord and saviour of the human race or the antichrist, im gonna go somewhere in the middle where the answer is "Yall need to calm down.". People who worship him need to chill and the people who hate his fucking guts because some people worship him also need to chill.

Socreges

Banned
Don't ignore the "less expensive vehicle" part.

It was essentially Tesla selling you the battery at a lower price than usual, at the cost of not being allowed to use the battery's max capacity.

It's not like they were ONLY selling the 60kHW model and then later informed everyone "Hey, you can actually pay to upgrade this right now!" as if it was never there in the first place.

It was more "Hey, you can't afford the 75kHW model? How about we cut you a deal with 60kHW, and if you feel like you wanna go up to 75, you can pay later"

That's the rational behind it.
Exactly. I don't see the issue here.

Edit - Oh shit 800+ posts. Shame some people on page 1 didnt bother reading more carefully

FWIW I can see why 75 owners might be annoyed by this. 65 are OK with this though.

Except none of them are annoyed. The only people who are annoyed are gaffers that are LTTP, none of whom expressed any interest in buying one anyway. The concern trolling is real.

a916

It's the Internet, and by extension GAF... it's bursting at the seams full of people who want to pretend to be angry lol.

Tesla didn't lie, they were up front and honest.

Dougald

Tesla didn't lie, they were up front and honest.

I wish people would stop trotting this out. Most criticism of this has nothing to do with Tesla 'lying' or not, being upfront that you're doing something a lot of people don't like doesn't make it right

I wish people would stop trotting this out. Most criticism of this has nothing to do with Tesla 'lying' or not, being upfront that you're doing something a lot of people don't like doesn't make it right

Yet, there's nothing that Tesla did here that is wrong.

FWIW I can see why 75 owners might be annoyed by this. 65 are OK with this though.

Why would either be annoyed? Both are getting the functionality they paid for.

Does it really matter if they put a smaller capacity battery or limit it via software? If the latter makes more business sense, that's their prerogative to do so. The end result is the same. At least you have the option of upgrading if you buy the lower model, as opposed to having to buy a brand new vehicle.

KingV

Because it costs less to produce that way, and therefore the cheaper option becomes even more affordable, and they make more profit/sales. Also less wasteful to produce. Also allows the customer to pay less for the vehicle to be able to afford it and then upgrade it later. The only way they could "just let them use the max" is if they devalue their original product and basically just decide they dont need to be making that much profit and that it would be nice to give away their best car for the same price as the cheaper option because it would be nice or whatever. The only real issue anybody has managed to bring up about this is the question of DRM and CFW/mods. Everything else (slippery slope, evil Musk, "MUSK IS NOT JESUS CHRIST OKAY?") isn't really a concern considering this is one of the unicorn cases that rarely even exist where a free market type would love to point out as a good example of pro-consumer options. Obviously a dark world where you cant modify your car or dont own what you paid for, or where TV manufacturers disable HDMI ports, are all scary scenarios, but it doesnt change the fact that this one instance is a good thing that basically just results in a more affordable option. As to whether or not Elon Musk is the lord and saviour of the human race or the antichrist, im gonna go somewhere in the middle where the answer is "Yall need to calm down.". People who worship him need to chill and the people who hate his fucking guts because some people worship him also need to chill.

Honestly, I think it's immoral.

Just like the right thing to do is to allow you to use your battery to its full potential in this particular emergency storm evacuation situation, it is also the right thing to do all of the time. There are many smaller scale emergency situations that could arise in everyday life, and it is immoral to leave people stranded on the highway when they theoretically still have 50 miles of travel in the "tank".

If someone freezes to death in a snowstorm because they have the 60KWH software lock on a 75KWH battery, or a child is delivered in the back of a Tesla by a amateur instead of at the hospital, or whatever, Tesla shares a piece of that blame by artificially limiting range.

I'm not all of that well-versed in how the auto-pilot
works, but if literally all of the hardware is included, and no external data is requires, it's similarly immoral if "safety features" are locked out as part of the autopilot.

However, if there is some sort of data infrastructure that Tesla is maintaining to communicate with the autopilot system as it is used or if it ONLY affects convenience then it is completely fair that they charge extra.

But in my opinion, holding people's safety as hostage behind drm locks, even for very minute risks (since probably none of us reading this will ever freeze to death in cars), is blanketly immoral because it literally costs the company nothing to "unlock" it.

subrock

If someone freezes to death in a snowstorm because they have the 60KWH software lock on a 75KWH battery, or a child is delivered in the back of a Tesla by a amateur instead of at the hospital, or whatever, Tesla shares a piece of that blame by artificially limiting range.
oh damn, I didn't realize people were dying in software limited Teslas. Do you have links to those news stories?

oh damn, I didn't realize people were dying in software limited Teslas. Do you have links to those news stories?

Or links to any stories where an automobile manufacturer was held responsible because their smaller fuel tank, which was willingly purchased, didn't hold enough fuel to prevent a life threatening situation.

It's not immoral. As an owner you know what you're buying. Just the physical presence of something doesn't dictate usage rights. The software does too. And at the time of purchase you make a choice of what software package you're going to pay for. If you want more, pay there price.

This will be the norm going forward.

Edit:
Or links to any stories where an automobile manufacturer was held responsible because their smaller fuel tank, which was willingly purchased, didn't hold enough fuel to prevent a life threatening situation.
This.

So what if you ran out of gas in these given situations? I guess you sue the car company for not having a bigger tank. This logic is extremely flawed.

Kyzer

Banned

Just like the right thing to do is to allow you to use your battery to its full potential in this particular emergency storm evacuation situation, it is also the right thing to do all of the time. There are many smaller scale emergency situations that could arise in everyday life, and it is immoral to leave people stranded on the highway when they theoretically still have 50 miles of travel in the "tank".

I'm not all of that well-versed in how the auto-pilot
works, but if literally all of the hardware is included, and no external data is requires, it's similarly immoral if "safety features" are locked out as part of the autopilot.

However, if there is some sort of data infrastructure that Tesla is maintaining to communicate with the autopilot system as it is used or if it ONLY affects convenience then it is completely fair that they charge extra.

But in my opinion, holding people's safety as hostage behind drm locks, even for very minute risks (since probably none of us reading this will ever freeze to death in cars), is blanketly immoral because it literally costs the company nothing to "unlock" it.

But if someone gets stuck in the snow because they bought a 65 battery that wasnt artificially limited (and cost more) then its ok? Otherwise Tesla is at fault for people getting stuck in the snow?

There is no moral imperative to someone's premium luxury sports car not having the most premium available options. These are not government welfare smart cars given to the homeless, they're very expensive luxury vehicles. If you chose the 65kwh battery how is it immoral of Tesla to not give you more than that for free just because they can? You could say that about anything. Every product and company and service could give you more out of the goodness of their hearts. But its not a nonprofit organization. They sell sports cars.

The only interesting moral question here is about CFW and your right to modify the battery to surpass the limit on your own, Tesla has no moral obligation to give anything away for free. People expecting them to be saviours or wanting Elon Musk to be jesus or even the ones who spite him for having that perception are all getting carried away by their own caricaturized ideas of this guy who runs a business that just happens to be really smart and whose company happens to have potentially beneficial impacts on society and the planet.

darscot

Threads like this make me wish I could study the respondents. I want to understand how you think and how you come to the conclusions you do. Is it a generational thing, a geographic thing. I would love to find that commonality and understand it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

if a lot of people didnt like it, why did people buy the 60kw version?

Theonik

Why would either be annoyed? Both are getting the functionality they paid for.

Does it really matter if they put a smaller capacity battery or limit it via software? If the latter makes more business sense, that's their prerogative to do so. The end result is the same. At least you have the option of upgrading if you buy the lower model, as opposed to having to buy a brand new vehicle.
Because arguably they are paying more so that people with the 60 can pay less.

Trace

Banned

So? They know what they're paying for. People can spend 100k on a car that gets them from point A to point B the same way people can spend 20k on a car that gets them the same distance. If someone is ok with the price on the 75 it doesn't really matter that the 60 exists.

Ogni-XR21

Honest question, everyone who does not have a problem with this situation would be totally fine if Nintendo released two Switch SKUs. One has a 3 hour battery capacity while the other has 3.5 hours of run time. And for a small fee of 50 bucks you could unlock the 3 hour version to run for 3.5 hours?

Or 2 PS4 SKUs with 500 GB harddrive and 1 TB, and for payment of amount X you unlock the full potential?

Kyzer

Banned
Honest question, everyone who does not have a problem with this situation would be totally fine if Nintendo released two Switch SKUs. One has a 3 hour battery capacity while the other has 3.5 hours of run time. And for a small fee of 50 bucks you could unlock the 3 hour version to run for 3.5 hours?

Or 2 PS4 SKUs with 500 GB harddrive and 1 TB, and for payment of amount X you unlock the full potential?

I would think it was a phenomenally dumb idea, and its not the same thing at all. But who cares? Let them, and see how people respond to it. If people like it, then great. If it was a dumb idea, then great.

andthebeatgoeson

Don't forget Nana Ruth not making it to bingo.

I think most electric car purchasers have considered how much range they have left. There's even a new term to describe it.

The group that paid, at least, $75k for their electric sports car? I do wonder how they felt about the extra $5k.

Why wouldn't I be fine with this? I get all the benefits of paying a lower price up front, and none of the drawback of buyer's remorse.

If the 3 hour unit costs $50 less, yes I'm OK with that. Same with the PS4. Tesla is charging you less for the car when you opt for the 60KWh battery. That's a point many people are not understanding.

Trace

Banned

They already have a PS4 with a 500gb hard drive and one with a 1tb. If the pricing structure stayed the same as it did currently, that would actually be a net gain to consumers because they wouldn't need to switch hard drives if they wanted to upgrade.

Plumbob

If they had an economies of scale argument to make about it, I'd be okay.

Definitely sounds like a risky business plan that might annoy people.

But it would certainly not be immoral.

I get a cheaper price point, why would I not be ok with it. It's like the cheap ass xbox 360 arcade model. Pay less get less, but you still get the meat of the functionality. Tesla's are expensive AF and supply constrained so I can see why people would jump on any savings they could get.

Nocebo

Let's make the analogy even simpler:

Would you like the option to buy a version of something without features you do not need for less money than a version that has the features you don't need?

Who cares how the lack of or presence of these features is facilitated?

Plus how would you feel if you could enable the features you initially thought you didn't need without any hassle and without making your current item redundant (without having to buy a whole new item for example) simply by paying money?

Theonik

So? They know what they're paying for. People can spend 100k on a car that gets them from point A to point B the same way people can spend 20k on a car that gets them the same distance. If someone is ok with the price on the 75 it doesn't really matter that the 60 exists.
Clearly you don't know car enthusiasts though arguably they aren't the customer base for Tesla. You are talking about the kinds of people that will pay people a lot of money to remove exactly this kind of software restriction from their car. If anything there is a lot more people mad about the Ludicrous speed thing though that was literally 'pay us a few grand to unlock your car's acceleration'.

The group that paid, at least, $75k for their electric sports car? I do wonder how they felt about the extra $5k.
If it wasn't an issue, there would be no point in even offering the 60 in the first place. You also misunderstand if you think the kind of people buying Teslas don't care about money because it's quite the contrary.

Nocebo

Oh boy, please, nobody tell this person about the various software sales business and license models in existence. Or how prices for goods and services are determined in the first place. The shock might kill him/her.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
so what exactly is the end goal of people unhappy with this?

1. give everyone 75kwh upgrade for free? thats not really reasonable since there are people that have paid for it and upselling through car options is unavoidable.

2. actually put a 60kwh battery into the car? how does that make any difference to the owner if anything it makes it more expensive for the owner at a later date to upgrade.

Theonik

Oh boy, please, nobody tell this person about the various software sales business and license models in existence. Or how prices for goods and services are determined in the first place. The shock might kill him/her.
Lol, I know how this works. Doesn't necessarily mean consumers actually like it.

Hell yes. It makes it easier for me to decide to buy a Switch right now, and then when I have more money, I can upgrade. I actually wish that were an option now, but more extreme - maybe $100 difference?

Nocebo

Lol, I know how this works. Doesn't necessarily mean consumers actually like it.
Yet this construct for this luxury item still exists. Why would consumers pay the money for a luxury item if they don't like it? So far you have demonstrated that you actually don't know how supply and demand works.

Ogni-XR21

Why wouldn't I be fine with this? I get all the benefits of paying a lower price up front, and none of the drawback of buyer's remorse.

If the 3 hour unit costs $50 less, yes I'm OK with that. Same with the PS4. Tesla is charging you less for the car when you opt for the 60KWh battery. That's a point many people are not understanding.

They already have a PS4 with a 500gb hard drive and one with a 1tb. If the pricing structure stayed the same as it did currently, that would actually be a net gain to consumers because they wouldn't need to switch hard drives if they wanted to upgrade.

If they had an economies of scale argument to make about it, I'd be okay.

Definitely sounds like a risky business plan that might annoy people.

But it would certainly not be immoral.

I get a cheaper price point, why would I not be ok with it. It's like the cheap ass xbox 360 arcade model. Pay less get less, but you still get the meat of the functionality. Tesla's are expensive AF and supply constrained so I can see why people would jump on any savings they could get.

Let's make the analogy even simpler:

Would you like the option to buy a version of something without features you do not need for less money than a version that has the features you don't need?

Who cares how the lack of or presence of these features is facilitated?

Plus how would you feel if you could enable the features you initially thought you didn't need without any hassle and without making your current item redundant (without having to buy a whole new item for example) simply by paying money?

Thanks for all the answers.

I guess I, and many others in here, just have a totally different view of things. To me this is being ripped off. It's just artificial value that holds no real value since it's just locked away to make more money.

To me it feels like you all are looking at it the wrong way. Which is why this thread is so frustrating to read since it's so obvious to me that people are fine being taken advantage of, and they don't see it no matter what... I guess it's simillar the other way around, only that you can't see what "we" think the big deal is.

Top Bottom