• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deadbeat said:
So no numbers yet on how much Deus Ex sold?
We know NCAA did better than last year, but NCAA only did like 100K or less last year.

It's a bit early to put up the victory flags since Deus Ex could have sold like 150K and still be #1.

kinggroin

Banned
Puppet Shadow said:
Wasn't the Ninty quote ...and the system finished as the No. 2 best-selling dedicated game system for the month.

Is the PS3 considered a 'dedicated' game system, as it's also a bluray player?

Ah, good point!

The Fu...!?

pramath

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I believe a 'slow' DS month was 400k.
I don't remember if the numbers were quite that high, but what I know is that the system literally sold a million units every couple of months. The 3DS seems to be struggling, and so far, indications are that the price cut didn't really do that much.
Nintendo really needs Mario Kart soon, I don't know what kind of momentum the 3DS can sustain till December. Monster Hunter will help the system in Japan, but the US is an entirely different story altogether.

Road

The first time the DS sold over 200k (outside of Nov-Dec) was 20 months after the launch, with the DS Lite release -- 593k to be exact.

pramath said:
I don't remember if the numbers were quite that high, but what I know is that the system literally sold a million units every couple of months. The 3DS seems to be struggling, and so far, indications are that the price cut didn't really do that much.
Nintendo really needs Mario Kart soon, I don't know what kind of momentum the 3DS can sustain till December. Monster Hunter will help the system in Japan, but the US is an entirely different story altogether.

Not in its first year it wasn't...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Road said:
The first time the DS sold over 200k (outside of Nov-Dec) was 20 months after the launch, with the DS Lite release -- 593k to be exact.

...Wow

Puppet Shadow said:
Wasn't the Ninty quote ...and the system finished as the No. 2 best-selling dedicated game system for the month.

i think you're onto something here...

Striek

Road said:
The first time the DS got an $80 price cut was...never.

Road

Puppet Shadow said:

That is the type of spin I would expect from Sony, not Nintendo.

Mindlog

It's my world
I'm awake in my world

It's weird having a favorite game take the #1 sales spot. That has not happened in a long time.

Keep throwing money Montreal, SE.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Lunchbox said:
just wait till the ps3 shortage is over

zE34b.gif
zE34b.gif
zE34b.gif
zE34b.gif

Better 3DS numbers, although maybe at the expense of DS sales, 360 still solid and primed for what could be a very positive holiday season.

Good to see Deus Ex rewarded, I haven't played it, but by all acounts, it seems to be a quality title, and worthy contender to Game of the Year title in the books of most of my internet acquaintances.

Busaiku

AceBandage said:
It was selling less than GBA was for most of its initial year.
GBA wasn't selling anywhere near as much as DS was selling prior to this month.

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
This is true.
I honestly hope the 3DS does a DS and starts selling like peanuts in its second year and onwards, but right now, if we extrapolate its immediate sales, it seems highly unlikely.

pramath said:
This is true.
I honestly hope the 3DS does a DS and starts selling like peanuts in its second year and onwards, but right now, if we extrapolate its immediate sales, it seems highly unlikely.

Which is, of course, foolish.
Hardware sales can turn on a dime in either direction.

pramath

Banned
Road said:
Really?
I mean, so the DS was... not selling for 20 months on the market?
Interesting...

fernoca

pramath said:
Nice healthy numbers for the 3DS, but it's still not selling as you would expect the successor to the DS to sell.
Nintendo DS' 5th month in the US (April 2005):

PSP = 351,000
PS2 = 332,000
Xbox = 153,000
GCN = 63,000
GBA and DS = 250,000

Yep, they combined the sales of the DS with GBA and still sold less than the 3DS on it's 5th month. It also costed less than the 3DS after a price cut.

And yep, that's the PSP's second month (launched in March 2005 in the US)

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
Which is, of course, foolish.
Hardware sales can turn on a dime in either direction.
True enough.
It could honestly go either way, but do we have any reason to believe that they will get better? You need to remember, just because the DS did so well is no reason to believe that the 3DS will. Remember, too, that the DS launch was not the mindfuck that the 3DS launch has been.

pramath said:
Really?
Interesting...

Yup.

People completely forget how bad the DS was in its first year.

The 3DS is already in much better shape with its holiday software lineup.

pramath said:
True enough.
It could honestly go either way, but do we have any reason to believe that they will get better? You need to remember, just because the DS did so well is no reason to believe that the 3DS will. Remember, too, that the DS launch was not the mindfuck that the 3DS launch has been.

Yeah, two Mario games, Monster Hunter and a Pokemon game all out this year.

Puppet Shadow said:

By this same insane logic, the Xbox 360 isn't a 'dedicated' game system because it doubles as a DVD player...

Road said:
That is the type of spin I would expect from Sony, not Nintendo.

they don't really have distinct personalities. Nintendo PR people spin when things are bad and don't have to spin anything when things are good, just like every other corporation's PR people.

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
Yup.

You can stop with this myth, Meteos, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Kirby's Canvas Curse and much more.

pramath said:
Really?
Interesting...

Amazing what happens when you actually look at historical precedent and ignore the FUD and bullshit that most of the media post as fact.

[Nintex] said:
You can stop with this myth, Meteos, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Kirby's Canvas Curse and much more.

Ha ha! You just self defeated yourself. Those games came out 6-9 months after the DS' launch.

We're currently at just over 5 months after the 3DS' launch. The 3DS' heavy hitters (which are much bigger hardware pushers than those games) will be coming out within the next 3 months.

pramath

Banned
jman2050 said:
You're right.

It was worse.

Really?
Let's see.
Did the DS ship just 750,000 units in its first full quarter worldwide?
Did the DS suffer a 33% price drop (and more in Japan) four months after its launch?
Did the DS get a weird peripheral to amend the hardware clumsily by adding in a barely functional control expansion that should have been there to begin with?
Did the DS not get much of a hardware sales boost in spite of a price cut?

I have a 3DS, I love it, but Nintendo has been doing all it can to fuck it up as badly as it can.

Mrbob

AceBandage said:
Were any of those hardware pushers?

I still don't see a Brain Training or Nintendogs equivalent poised to launch for 3DS anytime soon. I agree the Mario games will be a beast, but the DS also never had its price slashed 80 dollars within a couple months of release. In fact hasn't the DS really only dropped 20 dollars over all this time? From $149 to $129.

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yup.

Yeah, two Mario games, Monster Hunter and a Pokemon game all out this year.
Big name games don't always push hardware. They certainly did not help the N64 and the Gamecube.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Maybe I missed it. Didn't see full MS PR. If their statement regarding hardware sales means units and "current-generation console" means only PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360, then I think you can estimate PS3 hardware. See below:
MS PR said:
Xbox 360 maintains its lead over the current-generation console market, selling more units in the U.S. than any other console for 14 of the past 15 months. Sustained consumer demand for Xbox 360 and Kinect have helped the console maintain its number one spot in 2011, proving that consumers continue to recognize the excellent value and amazing games and entertainment experiences delivered by Xbox 360. With an exciting holiday sales season coming up, marked by blockbuster game titles and great new hardware offerings, we continue to expect this to be the biggest year in Xbox history, and the distinction of being this year’s best-selling console worldwide.

August 2011 NPD highlights include:
· Holding 43 percent share of the overall current-generation console market, Xbox 360 sold 308,000 units in August, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011. This marks the sixth month Xbox 360 has had more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share. (Source: NPD Group, August 2011)
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in August (hardware, software and accessories) reached $232 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, August 2011)
· During the month of August, the top two console game titles were for Xbox 360: “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” and “NCAA Football 12.”

With a massive portfolio of new blockbuster and Kinect titles coming this holiday as well as new partnerships like Disney and UFC, Xbox 360 is well-positioned for continued success. Below is a list of some of the top exclusive game titles launching in the coming months.

· September 20: “Gears of War 3”
· October 11: “Forza Motorsport 4”
· October 11: “Kinectimals Now with Bears!”
· October 25: “Dance Central 2”
· October 25: “Kinect Sports: Season Two”
· November 15: “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures”
· November 15: “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary”

Additionally, the highly-anticipated release of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” will launch on November 8.

All of the entertainment, partner support, record growth and sales momentum give us confidence that Xbox 360 will notch another record year.

[Nintex] said:

Yeah, people saying the 3DS is doomed are silly. 3DS picked up from a pricedrop with no big games alongside it. I think people will buy a system because they know that Mario & Mario Kart are soon to follow. Plus whatever Nintendo has up their sleeve. I think Kid Icarus getting a delay was probably the best (if it's even confirmed). It would probably get creamed in the big fall shuffle.

pramath

Banned
Mrbob said:
I still don't see a Brain Training or Nintendogs equivalent poised to launch for 3DS anytime soon. I agree the Mario games will be a beast, but the DS also never had its price slashed 80 dollars within a couple months of release. In fact hasn't the DS really only dropped 20 dollars over all this time? From $149 to $129.
Well, the DS Lite sells for $99 now, so if you want to count that...

Top Bottom