• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

pramath said:
Big name games don't always push hardware. They certainly did not help the N64 and the Gamecube.
Or the PS3 either.

elrechazao said:
wow, return of the ps3 shortage excuse.
I'm impressed that we're on page 4 and no one's mentioned bu bu but free Xbox with laptop promo! Where's JWong when we need him?

Road

jvm said:
Maybe I missed it. Didn't see full MS PR. If their statement regarding hardware sales means units and "current-generation console" means only PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360, then I think you can estimate PS3 hardware. See below:
Yep. If they mean 43% of hardware sales,

PS3 ~218k

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Disneyland and Halo on the same day?
WHAAAAAAAAATTTTT

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
elrechazao said:
wow, return of the ps3 shortage excuse.
Sometimes, you have to go back to the classics. Ones you used a dozen times this gen already.

Hopefully Deus Ex did some killer numbers.

Chris1964 said:
Damn, it's 2006-7 again.

Here is Sony's PR from 2007 in what it means to be supply constrained:

David Karraker from Sony Computer Entertainment contacted us to clarify what the term "supply constrained" actually means. Here's the official explanation.

The industry standard for a product to be considered to be in an "in-stock" position for a store is 30 units per store. This would be the level you would see for a PS2 or Xbox 360. At this level, retailers will feature a product in their weekly advertising circulars. If you are not at this level, retailers can't guarantee consumers will find one if they go into the store and they most likely won't support your product in weekly ads. Although you can indeed find PS3s in stores currently, we are no where near an "in-stock" position.

pramath said:
Really?
Let's see.
Did the DS ship just 750,000 units in its first full quarter worldwide?
Did the DS suffer a 33% price drop (and more in Japan) four months after its launch?
Did the DS get a weird peripheral to amend the hardware clumsily by adding in a barely functional control expansion that should have been there to begin with?
Did the DS not get much of a hardware sales boost in spite of a price cut?

I have a 3DS, I love it, but Nintendo has been doing all it can to fuck it up as badly as it can.

3DS didn't come out right into the Holidays.
The 3DS's price drop is better to happen now than a year from now.
The 3DS peripheral is still an unknown for what it will do besides play MH3G as an option.

Cipherr

Graphics Horse said:
Zelda, Mario, Mario, and the other one.

Mario Kart 7,
Kid Icarus Uprising
Super Mario 3D Land
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Resident Evil Revelations
and Tales of the Abyss

All seem to hold up damn well to DS's first year. In fact they hold up damn well to DS;s first year, but they are backloaded like a motherfuck, with most of them arriving in the last 4 months of the 3DS first year, but they are there.

pramath

Banned
TheUnknownForce said:
3DS didn't come out right into the Holidays.
The 3DS's price drop is better to happen now than a year from now.
The 3DS peripheral is still an unknown for what it will do besides play MH3G as an option.

Fair enough on the first count.
The fact that the 3DS price cut happened at all, however, is indicative that things are not as rosy as you'd like them to be.
That 3DS peripheral will be integrated into mostly all games pretty soon, you know that. It reeks of a new Gameboy Color situation to me.

[Nintex] said:
You can stop with this myth, Meteos, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Kirby's Canvas Curse and much more.

And it wasn't selling, which was his point.

It didn't take off until the following year, sales wise.

OldJadedGamer said:
Here is Sony's PR from 2007 in what it means to be supply constrained:

David Karraker from Sony Computer Entertainment contacted us to clarify what the term "supply constrained" actually means. Here's the official explanation.

The industry standard for a product to be considered to be in an "in-stock" position for a store is 30 units per store. This would be the level you would see for a PS2 or Xbox 360. At this level, retailers will feature a product in their weekly advertising circulars. If you are not at this level, retailers can't guarantee consumers will find one if they go into the store and they most likely won't support your product in weekly ads. Although you can indeed find PS3s in stores currently, we are no where near an "in-stock" position.

I'm at my parents house most weekends for a bit and I browse their Best Buy ad when I'm there and for the past few weeks they haven't had the PS3 system in the ad, so it sorta makes sense based on that. Anecdotal and all, just saying.

antonz

Karma said:
Funny I have not heard one word about people not being able to find PS3s last month. Amazon was never out. Local Best Buy has stacks.
If sales didnt explode its obvious a shortage. Nevermind the fact PS3 sold more in August 2010 than it did in August 2011

226K sales in August 2010.
217K-218K in August 2011

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Karma said:
Good chance the PS3 was down compared to last August. Not good after a price drop.

Last month was 148K, so definitely a jump.

Everyone is down from last year, even MS.

fernoca

pramath said:
Really?
Let's see.
Did the DS ship just 750,000 units in its first full quarter worldwide?
Did the DS suffer a 33% price drop (and more in Japan) four months after its launch?
Did the DS get a weird peripheral to amend the hardware clumsily by adding in a barely functional control expansion that should have been there to begin with?
Did the DS not get much of a hardware sales boost in spite of a price cut?

I have a 3DS, I love it, but Nintendo has been doing all it can to fuck it up as badly as it can.
  • DS first quarter: 2.84 million
  • 3DS first month: 3.65 million
  • No price reduction worldwide for the DS
  • No add-on for the DS, though the "wrist strap" was promoted as the alternative to an analog stick
  • Both 3DS and DS got boost by prcie cuts, DS even more after a redesign

pramath

Banned
fernoca said:
  • DS first quarter: 2.84 million
  • 3DS first month: 3.65 million
  • No price reduction worldwide for the DS
  • No add-on for the DS, though the "wrist strap" was promoted as the alternative to an analog stick
  • Both 3DS and DS got boost by prcie cuts, DS even more after a redesign
First full quarter for the 3DS (April-June) saw shipments of only 750,000 units, if I am not wrong.

[Nintex] said:
You can stop with this myth, Meteos, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Kirby's Canvas Curse and much more.
Man, Dawn of Sorrow

Nearly an entire year's wait for that game

If we're going to list that, I imagine we can't really cast any aspersions on 3DS software until February at the earliest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Four_Chamber said:
Sony cut prices, MS didn't

That's what is most interesting.

$50 price cut was never going to do amazing. Even in Japan it didn't seem to do much aside from bumping the thing to 10K more a week since the drop.

Boney

Banned
pramath said:
Fair enough on the first count.
The fact that the 3DS price cut happened at all, however, is indicative that things are not as rosy as you'd like them to be.
That 3DS peripheral will be integrated into mostly all games pretty soon, you know that. It reeks of a new Gameboy Color situation to me.
You do realize that the price cut is good for them in the long run right?

pramath

Banned
Boney said:
You do realize that the price cut is good for them in the long run right?
Yes, if it has any tangible effects. As of right now, I don't see a great big 3DS hardware sales boost, that's really all I'm saying.
I expect the system to do well in the holidays, what with Mario Kart and Super Mario, but right now, it really is struggling.

antonz

Syphon Filter said:
The continuation of the free 360 with laptop still helps. Also i think sony isn't lying when they said there was a shortage.
Sony has blatantly lied so many times about shortages its become a freaking joke.

They probably ran low on a specific bundle so decided to just report it as all skus. Not a single retailer has run out of stock once this month

Mrbob

Interesting thought: Xbox 360 hardware numbers, while still number one, are down 13.7 percent versus last year and this is with the Kinect boost. Is Kinect the only thing keeping 360 hardware afloat?

fernoca

pramath said:
First full quarter for the 3DS (April-June) saw shipments of only 750,000 units, if I am not wrong.
Because they shipped 4 million and only sold 3.61. So there were .4 million units lying around on top of the .7 they shipped.

Noone is denying that the 3DS situation hasn't been...nice. But the DS was not selling any better at all, even less on the US; were as I posted earlier, sales were even combined with the GBA to make it look "better". ..and it continued like that; until the DSlite and the wave of new games.

Cipherr

Dreams-Visions said:
September and October NPDs will be ridiculous for Microsoft.

I think MS takes the rest of the year by a considerable margin honestly. Nintendo does their thing during the holidays but MS is in cruise mode right now.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damn, I expected better for the 3DS. This holiday season will be really telling when they actually get some software out for this thing.

pramath

Banned
fernoca said:
Because they shipped 4 million and only sold 3.65. So there were .4 million units lying around on top of the .7 they shipped.

Noone is denying that the 3DS situation hasn't been...nice. But the DS was not selling any better at all, even less on the DS; were as I posted earlier, sales were even combined with the GBA to make it look "better". ..and it continued like that; until the DSlite and the wave of new games.
I see.
I honestly hope the 3DS pulls a DS, to be honest. The handheld market is the one thing where I have full, almost blind faith, in Nintendo (less so after the fuck ups of this week, though), and I really do not want to see what is essentially a well designed system fail.

Can't wait to get Deus X from Toys R Us next week.

Also, is there a history of companies lying about supply constraints? Because I see a lot of people suggesting Sony did.

lockload

Mrbob said:
Interesting thought: Xbox 360 hardware numbers, while still number one, are down 13.7 percent versus last year and this is with the Kinect boost. Is Kinect the only thing keeping 360 hardware afloat?

you can hope

Derrick01

Banned
For once people did not let me down. It's done really well on PC too so it looks like it'll probably break a million soon if it hasn't already.

You know what to do Square-Enix. Keep pumping that money into Eidos.

onipex

pramath said:
Nice healthy numbers for the 3DS, but it's still not selling as you would expect the successor to the DS to sell.

Not for Nintendo and many other people but its selling as I expected it to. I based my expectations off how the DS started though.

Road

fernoca said:
Because they shipped 4 million and only sold 3.65. So there were .4 million units lying around on top of the .7 they shipped.
Nintendo shipped 3.61 million in the first quarter.

Top Bottom