• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

wtf how is madden not #1 or not even on the list? it sold nearly a million copies across all platforms IN ONE DAY. there is no way the 360 or ps3 version wouldn't have charted

Corto

I doubt that new consoles, with their attached price tags, would improve software sales on titles like Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs or Transformers.

Cake Boss

Banned
i really think its just fatigue of this generation and its offerings. sony should announce something this TGS and MS at VGAs to insert some life into this industry and get people talking again. Not just us but the mainstream as well.

AHA-Lambda

It's possible that the two aren't unrelated. MW3 is pretty awful, and that could have hurt the brand as a whole a lot, causing the bubble to deflate. (not that other titles wouldn't love to have those numbers...)

I will say personally, I actually quite enjoy MW3 (was not a fan of MW2 really at all), and don't see why it gets the hate tbh =/

Although I do agree Treyarch>IW in terms of map design.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody know how many days of sales Birth by Sleep had in its initial sales NPD so we can compare properly?

Pranay

That's my opinion. It's why I keep saying people should stop expecting DS and Wii-like sales in the future.

Devs need to start making the appropriate changes in their philosophy when making games/budgets or the entire industry is in huge trouble.

People are rather buying more DD market now rather then 60$ games.

CS Go did 200k on xbla first week [what ive read] and minecraft is 3.6 million in 4 months

Is it really considered selling well where at best it sold about the same as what the BbS game did in the first month?

Definitely.

People didn't buy 3DS for Kingdom Hearts, they bought it for Mario and the eventual Pokemon.

People BOUGHT PSPs in the first place for Kingdom Hearts.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

CS Go did 200k on xbla first week [what ive read] and minecraft is 3.6 million in 4 months

Is it DD market, or is it cheaper games that offer more bang for the buck?

More units than any other current generation console, and held 48 percent share of current-generation console. . . 18th consecutive month. . .

I'm confident Nintendo will beat this consecutive streak MS is holding at the tail-end of this gen when they release Wii-U. It just has the right timing for something new and fresh, that the tablet controller will bring considering the holiday season especially. Don't think an MS price cut / Halo4 will be enough to keep the streak.

Plinko

wtf how is madden not #1 or not even on the list? it sold nearly a million copies across all platforms IN ONE DAY. there is no way the 360 or ps3 version wouldn't have charted

It launched after NPD stopped tracking for the month.

AHA-Lambda

This.

AAA gaming is too competitive, it's no wonder devs and consumers are moving elsewhere.

Mrbob

Holding them over for the September chart so the numbers aren't split between two monthly reports.

Edit: August chart goes till Aug 26? Thought it was Aug 29.

DieH@rd

Banned
Remember guys.

THQ said a Darksiders 3 would be likely if it sold 4-5 million.

No they did not. That number was pulled out of an ass of a developer/pr who just wanted to make a [bad] point if that DS2 was successful, there will be sequel.

Pranay

Cheaper Gamers offering more bang for buck imo

Not surprised that their have more psn and xbla exclusives released this year then retail games and MS and Sony pushing more DD.

Plinko

I agree, but this is not a random month for the 3DS, we are talking about the 3DS XL, Mario and Kingdom Hearts launch month.

XL was only out for 7 days and had almost half the sales for 3DS. People just don't seem excited by this Mario.

test_account

XP-39C²
I will say personally, I actually quite enjoy MW3 (was not a fan of MW2 really at all), and don't see why it gets the hate tbh =/

I agree with this. MW3 was also the first CoD game that i felt the enjoyment to go full prestige in (prestige 20). Some of the maps felt too big with normal deathmatch, but i pretty much always played groundwar, then it work very well in my opinion. Loved most of the maps in Black Ops, so i hope that Black Ops 2 has great maps as well :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
what a terrible year,almost everything underperforms/bombs

Curious to see real reasons behind this. If the economy being shit for so long has finally caught up to everyone or if its just late console life and people dont have a desire for new games.

pretty surprised that NSMB2 didn't outsell Darksiders 2

Maybe I shouldn't be, but it feels weird.

Definite changing of the guard handheld-wise (at least in the US)

carlos

quick question, NPD doesn't track digital; sales of steam, origin and other DD services right? if so, then they might be a bit outdated and giving us a picture that is more bleak than it really is

Miles X

well, it's clear that X360 will end (we hope at the end of 2013) as leader platform for this generation in US and UK
nice result for Microsoft

Indeed, despite overall sales being down for both Wii and 360, 360 is still making the same gains over Wii as it was this time last year. In fact if you look at Jan - Aug 2011 vs Jan - Aug 2012, 360's outsold Wii by 280k more than 2011.

FoneBone

Both... but this is why I think the "generational fatigue" argument, with its implications that new hardware is all it takes to end the industry's malaise, is bunk.

AHA-Lambda

I've bought more DD games this year than retail and for me it was because of the quality of the DD titles.

I can attest to this aswell, I think so far this year I've only bought 2 retail games but about 6 DD games. To be fair, I rent most of my games though.

Curious to see real reasons behind this. If the economy being shit for so long has finally caught up to everyone or if its just late console life and people dont have a desire for new games.

I think it's just due to many games not catching the interest of the mainstream outside of the annualised mainstays we all know. Couple that with end of generation fatigue in an extended cycle... Well yeah =/

I'm confident Nintendo will beat this consecutive streak MS is holding at the tail-end of this gen when they release Wii-U. It just has the right timing for something new and fresh, that the tablet controller will bring considering the holiday season especially. Don't think an MS price cut / Halo4 will be enough to keep the streak.

They might not be able to make enough consoles to beat the 360.

Is it really considered selling well where at best it sold about the same as what the BbS game did in the first month?

And how many PSP's had already sold at the time? I'm sure the attach rate of KH:DDD to 3DS's was much higher than the BBS to PSP attach rate, when it launched.

quick question, NPD doesn't track digital; sales of steam, origin and other DD services right? if so, then they might be a bit outdated and giving us a picture that is more bleak than it really is

this is a good point. I totally forgot about DD sales, I buy a lot of stuff off PSN, Steam and Origin. (also Amazon and Green man gaming)

That is only *if* they have the supply.

Yawnier

Banned
These sales are brutal. ~250k for the #1 spot? TERRIBLE.

Well, looks like Darksiders 2 isn't going to be getting a sequel anytime soon judging off these sales.

I know August is a summer month and all but damn, 250K is pretty bad for the number 1 spot, I'm not going to lie.

Edit: Also LOL at Black Ops being in the top 10 but no MW3. I suppose it is the superior COD game though.

Takao

Banned

Madden was released after this month's tracking period.

Anybody know how many days of sales Birth by Sleep had in its initial sales NPD so we can compare properly?

Dream Drop Distance - 26 days
Birth By Sleep - 26 days

Kazerei

Banned
I'm really happy for Darksiders 2. Well done, THQ. I only wish Sleeping Dogs did better, but hopefully Square-Enix is satisfied with it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Microsoft can continue to use the "current generation" definition though hehe ;) That would exclude the WiiU. But i'm not sure that they will continue to use this definition after WiiU is out to be honest.

Miles X

Not a chance, even Wii sales in its second holiday were nothing amazing (1m Nov, 1.3m Dec)

First holiday was around 1m Nov + Dec.

FoneBone

I'm really happy for Darksiders 2. Well done, THQ. I only wish Sleeping Dogs did better, but hopefully Square-Enix is satisfied with it.

You shouldn't be happy if you look at the actual unit sales.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: 31th July

So, the first day is included on this report?
Yes, NPD months don't always align perfectly with the calendar. August NPD period started at the end of July, not sure which day.

For me, it was exclusively the one thing you mentioned. Map design.

I only liked a couple of the maps in MW3, and I don't enjoy the singleplayer in any CoD games. So if it's all on multi-player, the maps are the most important thing.

Plinko

Madden was released after this month's tracking period.

Dream Drop Distance - 26 days
Birth By Sleep - 26 days

Nice--thanks for checking.

Top Bottom