• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

JWong

Banned
Puppet Shadow said:
Microsoft is going to end up the number 2 console this gen if they keep putting up these numbers in the states. Surprised to see Duke that high with the bad word of mouth.
The States ain't the world.

EatChildren said:
Ha ha ha this generation is going to be around forever.
Is it really that bad? I know I'm going to get destroyed by PC GAF and Graphics-Horse GAF, but if developers don't need to worry about getting to know new hardware/tools/APIs/engines, then they can surely reduce some costs and start thinking about new IPs, new gameplay ideas, design innovation, etc. Right? Or am I too naive?

EviLore said:
Hardware
Xbox 360 - 507,000

Microsoft really is feeling good

No big releases this month and they still dominate the sales chart. Microsoft and the Kinect console reboot has really been something else. This is a shit load of consoles to move in a month without any big release.

I'm still shocked... half a million units in June, damn!

BTW, NBA 2K11 has crazy long legs!

Oh, and someone made a silly bet about the Wii being #1 in June because of the price drop in May. Price drops don't work that way unless they happen right before the holidays.

People are actually shocked DNF performed decently in it's opening month? It's been the ultimate curiosity for 10+ years people, of course it was going to do big numbers at launch....

EviLore said:
Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive
02. Duke Nukem Forever (360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive

This actually scares me about 200% more than iPhone games with regards to the future of my hobby.

Kusagari

DefectiveReject said:
Yes. A couple of 1-2million selling games account for the big surge in 360 numbers.
I mean no one with a 360 bought a Kinect???

Well, if we assume the casuals are migrating over from the Wii it explains things. A lot of them are probably fine with Kinect Adventures, just like they were fine with Wii Sports.

KingDizzi

Banned
Simply amazing 360 numbers, it's become a beast in NA. Fucking boss, hope those inFamous 2 numbers are good but at number 3 on a slow month. :/

BurntPork

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
It's Kinect. Nintendo needs to get Wii U out asap, Wii owners are migrating like crazy.
Pahcter was wright. Nintendo did wait too long to counter Kinect. Between that and the fact that Wuu will cost twice as much as a 360 with Kinect when it releases, MS really may have stopped Nintendo in it's tracks. Maybe they should consider becoming a second-party to MS...

sleepykyo

Sho_Nuff82 said:
SMH at Duke Nukem

What the hell?

Guess all of those gift cards did the trick. LOL at people thinking that a 360 price drop to $199 won't give a boost.

There was price drop in June?

Delio

Well gratz MS. Interested to see how much the 3DS sold with Zelda up there. So does this cement this gen going on for much much longer?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
no doubt the moment these numbers came in, someone in redmond called a conference to congratulate everyone involved in the e3 conference for really "knocking it out the park".

FunkyPajamas said:
Is it really that bad? I know I'm going to get destroyed by PC GAF and Graphics-Horse GAF, but if developers don't need to worry about getting to know new hardware/tools/APIs/engines, then they can surely reduce some costs and start thinking about new IPs, new gameplay ideas, design innovation, etc. Right? Or am I too naive?

Too naive. Then again, the new systems haven't caused as much innovation as they usually do. Usually there's a decent amount of new IP launched at the beginning of a system. Seems to be a nice bit for Vita, but 3DS really fell super flat there. Pretty sad...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Classic_Gs said:
Mortal Kombat has been in the top ten since it's release? If so, those are some krazy legs.

I c wat u did there (-.-)

Kombat King Kicking Konstantly!

Road

duffyside said:
Wait, MS holds 48% of the current generation console market share? What does that mean? Certainly not hardware, as Wii is and will be the king of this generation. So are they saying software sales?

I think it is revenue for this month only. But 350 million out of 995 million is not 48%, so apart from excluding 3DS and PS2 ("current generation") they can be also excluding PSP and NDS (they've ignored portable systems in the past).

But it could just unit hardware sales this month between 360, Wii and PS3.

Or, it could be anything. Welcome to NPD.

DMeisterJ said:
Surprised at the LA Noire holdover. But it was an end of the month release, so a holdoverisn't that surprising. I just can't remember the last game that was #1 for two months, not named CoD.
New format of combining SKUs makes me guess we'll see more of that happening in the future. I think for single SKUs, Nintendo did it a few times if I'm remembering correctly.

BurntPork said:
Pahcter was wright. Nintendo did wait too long to counter Kinect. Between that and the fact that Wuu will cost twice as much as a 360 with Kinect when it releases, MS really may have stopped Nintendo in it's tracks. Maybe they should consider becoming a second-party to MS...
Ha ha ha

You're just relentless in every thread.

Quite surprised anyone still buys a Wii as there's fuck all new to buy for it.

Special J

Banned
Xbox 360 sold 507,000 units in June, selling nearly twice as many units as other current-generation platforms

wtf? and here i thought ps3 was going to be close this month with the blackops + $100 promo. my guess is ~300k on ps3.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
bigtroyjon said:
Sony has never been in second worldwide.

Xbox 360 Worldwide: 55 million (as of June 3, 2011)
PS3 Worldwide: 50 million (as of March 29, 2011)

It has been close at least. That number has probably flopped most recently with the Kinect bump.

EDIT: Might as well get the last console in.

Wii Worldwide: Worldwide: 86.01 million (as of March 31, 2011)

Trevelyon said:
No, no they're third, definitely third.

Sony is about 3mil behind 360. They closed a 9 million gap in less than 18months. MS should kiss America's ass because if they realized how bad Ms has been screwing them and then turned, Sony would come out ahead like they do everywhere else in the world.

Seda

Special J said:
wtf? and here i thought ps3 was going to be close this month with the blackops + $100 promo. my guess is ~300k on ps3.

Well the PS3 sold 305k last June, and Microsoft's PR today said the 360 was the only console with YOY growth.

A Human Becoming said:

It has been close at least. That number has probably flopped most recently with the Kinect bump.

You are rounding up on MS and down on Sony. Those numbers are not true. It's onyl a 3million gap.

Think NoA should just release all those localised games they are sitting on.

Seriously. Wii flailing in America is NOA's fault. Pure and simple.
I blame Reggie

NecrumSlavery said:
Sony is about 3mil behind 360. They closed a 9 million gap in less than 18months. MS should kiss America's ass because if they realized how bad Ms has been screwing them and then turned, Sony would come out ahead like they do everywhere else in the world.

Get this shit outta here

NecrumSlavery said:
I guess congrats to MS for selling so much when you had not one game out. Kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit to see inFAMOUS 2 at #3 and the PS3 not doing better. America really hates Sony.

well Infamous 2 would have been number 1 if we where using the ye old NPD logic.

I think that impressive. did Infamous 1 sell good in america?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Special J said:

But MS said they sold twice as much as their competitors, so it's definitely around 250k.

overcast

Wow, Duke Nukem.

I haven't played Infamous or the sequel, but I am very happy to see it in the top 3. Good to see a PS3 exclusive near the top.

LQX

Kagari said:
Not surprising since there was giftcard deals from every retailer the entire month.
PS3 also had some crazy deals from retailers, more so than MS. $100 gift card from Best Buy and Amazon for a week plus Amazon also had it for $200 one day.

Mircrosoft must be practicing some witchcraft. Very impressive numbers for June.

I hope it's starting to settle in with Nintendo just how hard they dropped the ball. I wonder if we'll even get numbers from them.

snap0212

Could you US & UK guys please stop buying 360s? :C I'm happy with the games we have, but I also kind of want the next generation of consoles.

(Bought a 4GB Slim a week ago just in case my Elite breaks. :D)

harSon

Banned
Road said:
I think it is revenue for this month only. But 350 million out of 995 million is not 48%, so apart from excluding 3DS and PS2 ("current generation") they can be also excluding PSP and NDS (they've ignored portable systems in the past).

But it could just unit hardware sales this month between 360, Wii and PS3.

Or, it could be anything. Welcome to NPD.

It's pretty straight forward:

Holding 48% share of the overall current-generation console market share, Xbox 360 sold 507,000 units in June, selling nearly twice as many units as other current-generation platforms and maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011.

It's held 48% of the "overall current-generation console market share" meaning 48% out of the Xbox 360/Wii/PS3, selling "nearly twice as many units as other current-generation platforms" meaning that the Xbox 360 sold nearly as much as the PS3 and Wii combined.

Nothing really came out in the month of June. Crazy sales for the 360. Good for Mortal Kombat. Picked it up last month and having a blast with it.

Also I could be wrong but isn't this the month they started that free Xbox with a laptop deal? That could explain the huge week over week leap we're seeing with no price drop/significant releases.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LQX said:
PS3 also had some crazy deals from retailers, more so than MS. $100 gift card from Best Buy and Amazon for a week plus Amazon also had it for $200 one day.
Don't think Amazon is counted in NDP no?

A Human Becoming said:

EDIT: Might as well get the last console in.

Wii Worldwide: Worldwide: 86.01 million (as of March 31, 2011)

PS3 has never had LTD higher than the 360. This information isn't exactly a secret and the shipments have never been close enough to where you could say maybe they outsold them but shipments were lagging.

Top Bottom