• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Sold 150m.
Not to 150m people.
People had 2,3 or 4

Due to price in the end and the sheer amount of colours.
I had 3 due to selling, breaking and weakness
if people had 2, 3 or 4 PS2, then they have 4, 5 or 6 360s considering the failure rate of the device, and different version with considerable change coming over.

PS2 only got slimmer and LAN was added, which wasn't useful anyway. 360 got 4 mainboard revision to make it stable now at slim and a wireless adapter and a minium 4 GB space. PS2 could tolerate much more abuse than 360 and even PS3.

in a nutshell, my point stands still if this is your argument, it is even more in the favor of my point, people having different version of the same console (let alone lots of people having both PS3 and 360)

mentalfloss said:
I think Nintendo's got enough brand recognition to sell the Wii U to casuals once they hit the right pricepoint. They're going to be dipping into the traditional gamer first next gen.

Really, they'll have no competition unless Sony decides to axe the PS3 early like Microsoft did with the original XBOX. Otherwise, it looks like pretty smooth sailing for them.
Their competition is the ps3 and 360. Both of which, until proven otherwise by nintendo, offer FAR superior features compared to Wii U.

Curufinwe

walking fiend said:
no, releasing a new console costs a lot of marketing and R&D, if launched prematurely may have catastrophic generation change development dilema, will increase development costs in general, will force users to move to the next gen while there's clearly potential for this gen (of HD) to continue for at least another year.

There's really no incentive beside them having a strong brand at the moment, and since this strong brand won't suddenly go to abyss, it is actually better for them to build upon this by supporting their current console making better services, decreasing the price, developing new games.

November 2013 still makes sense.

Xellos

Pretty impressive for Xbox. If this keeps up MS may put off the next console a few more years.

Hope the DNF sales are enough to justify a properly developed sequel. DNF will probably drop like a rock on the July charts.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Wow, 3DS might be the bigger story here than 360. Where is the pic of the blackboard with all the games written on it which will save the 3DS? Cross OoT off of that.

onipex said:
Software sales are known to drop when no one is making software for a system.

The 360 number is great even if the giveaway 360s are counted.
Wii software outside of a few key franchises has always been questionable, at best.

I don't see how you can make an argument that Xenoblade wouldn't be a sure bomb. And I'm that scenario why release it? Look how bad Wii software is doing.

Owzers

Wii Software sales are poor.
Nintendo would rather have nothing release than put out already made niche games

Yes, i cannot wait to own another Nintendo system.

Mileena

Banned
butter_stick said:
Wii software outside of a few key franchises has always been questionable, at best.

I don't see how you can make an argument that Xenoblade wouldn't be a sure bomb. And I'm that scenario why release it? Look how bad Wii software is doing.
Nintendo fans like Pokemon
Pokemon is a JRPG
Xenoblade is a JRPG
Nintendo fans would like Xenoblade??

Mrbob

DMeisterJ said:
So
825k - March - April - May
825k - ~400k - 194k - May 97k

~134k for June

Zelda didn't really even bump 3DS hardware sales.

May - 97K/4 = 24.25K per week
June - 134K/5 = 26.8K per week

Tiny boost at best.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Superimposer said:
Wow, 3DS might be the bigger story here than 360. Where is the pic of the blackboard with all the games written on it which will save the 3DS? Cross OoT off of that.
OoT wasn't supposed to save 3DS.

Kusagari said:
OoT didn't really give the 3DS a boost but at least it stopped the bleeding momentarily.
OOT's effect might be more dramatic than a month on month comparison paints though, given it launched halfway through the period. If only we had weekly sales to look at.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Mrbob said:

Tiny boost at best.
Yeah, pretty much the same.
Gonna be a long time until Mario Kart.

corkscrewblow said:
Nintendo fans like Pokemon
Pokemon is a JRPG
Xenoblade is a JRPG
Nintendo fans would like Xenoblade??
Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games
Xenoblade doesn't have a Nintendo character
Xenoblade will not sell

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mrbob said:

Tiny boost at best.

Nope. As predicted, most people who bought the system at launch, or thereafter (with a severe lack of games) were probably the same people who wouldn't mind buying OoT again.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Totobeni said:
No Alice, No Shadow of the Damned on top 10.

EA partner program is a failure,I feel sorry for all developers who signed with EA.

Did you think these games would show up in the top 10 without EA? Lulz. It seems to me that if you are disappointed that SOTD and Alice didn't make the top 10, then you sort of expected them to actually be there, which strikes me as kind of naive. Why, I have no idea.

Well, I did my part, with SOTD anyway. I'll get Alice eventually.

rosjos44

I personally would not be happy with these numbers. Third parties really messed up by not supporting Wii. We are still down overall year after year since the Wii decline and PS3 and 360 will not make that better.

What if 3rd parties really put more effort into the console? What if Nintendo helped 3rd parties more than what they did? I would think the Wii would be a PS2 in both software and hardware still. Its sad to see an install base of over 34 million consoles go to waste.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Difficult to see how OoT really boosted 3DS sales, as noted above. If we use the 97K figure for May, zero growth (on a per-week basis) would have been 121K in June. We have reason to believe it's higher than that, but not more than 15% higher.

Blueblur1

I'm happily surprised to see MK still selling and saddened that the masses purchased enough copy of Cars 2 to push to the #9 spot. :/

Mrbob said:

Tiny boost at best.

It's the price of the system. Right now $250 is really not mass marketable. They will keep it this way just past Christmas, and then drop early next year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A Human Becoming said:
Couldn't a multitude of Kinect titles just have long tails, despite not getting in the top 10?
If, as some people were saying, Kinect sales caused the 360 numbers, then one would think that Kinect titles would at least chart.
Now that's not saying the 360 numbers aren't driven by Kinect, just that its not a certainty.

rosjos44 said:
I personally would not be happy with these numbers. Third parties really messed up by not supporting Wii. We are still down overall year after year since the Wii decline and PS3 and 360 will not make that better.

What if 3rd parties really put more effort into the console? What if Nintendo helped 3rd parties more than what they did? I would think the Wii would be a PS2 in both software and hardware still. Its sad to see an install base of over 34 million consoles go to waste.
You can't sell your console on a novelty and expect people to keep playing it. It's why music games died too. Wii was the Wii Sports machine for everyone outside of the typical Nintendo fan, and the typical Nintendo fan is only interested in Nintendo's games.

OoT has sold VERY good, 34% attach rate and 280K sold, really good.

3DS problem isn't with system sellers, it is with lack of an overall solid games and services.

---
and microsoft making lots of money just from Live, and with Kinect just gaining momentum, I believe they may even not fully reveal their next console until e3 2013

Tiny boost at best.
no, you are doing this TOTALLY wrong. you shouldn't compare it with last month sales, you should compare it with this months projected sales if Zelda weren't to release; 3DS has been going downhill, actually free fall, after its release, so Zelda has actually helped it a lot.

TheNatural

My Member!
If the 3DS sales are only 134,000 Nintendo is learning a hard lesson that you can't price things whatever you want, there's a limit. Now July and August are basically two months of nothing before Starfox comes out in September, but even then that won't do much. A long road until holidays, Nintendo is learning it's lesson.

Duxxy3

mentalfloss said:
It's the price of the system. Right now $250 is really not mass marketable. They will keep it this way just past Christmas, and then drop early next year.

If they keep it at $250 it will hit Bomba status by christmas, if it hasn't already.

Jokeropia

butter_stick said:
That's not true at all. Whenever we got the data, Wii typically had the most titles in the top 30, top 50 and so on. Wii total software sales are far ahead of both 360 and PS3 and there are also 103 Wii million sellers.

21l.jpg

butter_stick said:
You can't sell your console on a novelty and expect people to keep playing it. It's why music games died too. Wii was the Wii Sports machine for everyone outside of the typical Nintendo fan, and the typical Nintendo fan is only interested in Nintendo's games.
Again, this is BS contradicted by actual data.

Superimposer said:

The problem with 3DS is besides Mario kart.....theres nothing to put on that list

:(

rosjos44 said:

I keep hearing this over and over again. Third party releases a game, it sells poorly. Nintendo fans so that the company should have tried harder. Third Party makes another game, it sells poorly. Third party stops making Wii games. Nintendo fans complain that nobody is supporting the system.

There will never be another PS2/DS again. There are simply more entertainment options now than before.

butter_stick said:

Which is why Epic Mickey only sold 1 million...wait what?

Seriously generalizing an entire market is just short-sighted.

TheAtomicPile said:
OoT sold systems confirmed.

Nonbelievers condemned to eternity in hell.

Edit: Mmmmm maybe not since June counted for five weeks.

At the exact same rate as May, the 3DS would have sold 97k/4 * 5 = 121k.

Zelda pushed an additional 14k. New gen Virtua Fighter 5.

rosjos44 said:

I'd say Nintendo is just as guilty as abandoning the Wii as 3rd party developers. Unless the people in this very thread congratulating Nintendo for ignoring Xenoblade in the West were just joking. The Wii never established an identity outside of fitness, music, and sports games for 3rd parties, and Nintendo was fine with that for a while because they didn't have to lift a finger to sell 400k consoles in a month.

Satchel

Banned
Smision said:
not really. Seems like a better time to play it simple and not swamp the market so soon after kinect blew up.

walking fiend said:
no, releasing a new console costs a lot of marketing and R&D, if launched prematurely may have catastrophic generation change development dilema, will increase development costs in general, will force users to move to the next gen while there's clearly potential for this gen (of HD) to continue for at least another year.

There's really no incentive beside them having a strong brand at the moment, and since this strong brand won't suddenly go to abyss, it is actually better for them to build upon this by supporting their current console making better services, decreasing the price, developing new games.

cjelly said:
Why on earth would anyone release a new (presumably unprofitable) box when they already have a console out there that is still growing and providing profit from every one sold?

H_Prestige said:
No. You don't launch a new console when the one you have is selling better than ever. And especially not after you just spent an entire console R/D budget on a peripheral that is also selling great.

The Wii is quickly fading away, if not already dead. The ps3 isn't dropping but it isn't doing too hot either.

butter_stick said:
Why not focus on a profitable machine with a healthy audience that are responsive to new releases?

Well, I did say correct me if I'm wrong. lol. Personally, I hope we DONT see the new consoles soon. I'm perfectly happy with this gen as it is right now.

Top Bottom