• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Elios83

Incredible numbers for the 360.
PS3 and Wii did as I expected with around 250k each, although PS3 is about to receive a price cut and Wii just got one.
3DS is performing poorly, it is struggling to sell more than 100k monthly (4 weeks). That is about the same performance of the 600$ PS3.

KingDizzi

Banned
Arnie said:
360 is a beast, it really is the PS2 of this generation, in the US and UK at least.

Glad to see inFamous 2 so high up too, great standing for a single platform title.

nvOjD.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
outunderthestars said:
I keep hearing this over and over again. Third party releases a game, it sells poorly. Nintendo fans so that the company should have tried harder. Third Party makes another game, it sells poorly. Third party stops making Wii games. Nintendo fans complain that nobody is supporting the system.

There will never be another PS2/DS again. There are simply more entertainment options now than before.
You're missing the part where the first third party games released on Wii sold really well, and yet third parties didn't follow up on those until they finally started pushing forward half-hearted efforts three years later, at which point the audience that bought those first games had given up.

GameE

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow I guess Ninty cant issue a statement on 3DS passing 1mln sells, I thought it would have made it this June, surely.

They are selective about putting out pr. they only do it when they do really good in a month I guess.

TheNatural said:
If the 3DS sales are only 134,000 Nintendo is learning a hard lesson that you can't price things whatever you want, there's a limit. Now July and August are basically two months of nothing before Starfox comes out in September, but even then that won't do much. A long road until holidays, Nintendo is learning it's lesson.

Zelda sales will tank next month, 3DS sales will follow. A price cut will help but I fear Nintendo will ride it til the end of the holidays season before that happens. Nintendo dun goofed the price. They better think twice about releasing Wii U at more than $250.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mrbob said:
Zelda didn't really even bump 3DS hardware sales.

May - 97K/4 = 24.25K per week
June - 134K/5 = 26.8K per week

Tiny boost at best.
For a second I forgot that this month's NPD consisted of 5 weeks. Disappointing numbers for the 3DS if so. Would that lessen the impact of the 360's YoY numbers or has June always been a 5 week month?

rosjos44

butter_stick said:
You can't sell your console on a novelty and expect people to keep playing it. It's why music games died too. Wii was the Wii Sports machine for everyone outside of the typical Nintendo fan, and the typical Nintendo fan is only interested in Nintendo's games.

Music games lasted more than 6 years (a typical console life cycle) so I do not agree with your novelty reasoning. Software sells hardware and the Wii was not getting that support outside of first party titles. If the Wii had Ps2 level support than you would see a major difference in sales data (meaning the industry going up not down).

TheNatural

My Member!
Sad thing is, there were some nice retailer deals for the 3DS in June too. When OoT came out there were "buy a 3DS get a gift card" things and "buy OoT get a free game." Beware videogame companies: $250 is too much to make a handheld no matter what you put in it. You're not Apple.

Duxxy3 said:
If they keep it at $250 it will hit Bomba status by christmas, if it hasn't already.

Well, as we've learned in this thread, the system can stay above 100,000 without the help of a system seller like OOT, so, it should be just fine for Nintendo.

They are making quite a profit off this thing with 0 competition until next year.

They will drop the price once they begin to feel threatened by PSV.

theDeeDubs

Kinect has surprised me. My coworkers who aren't gamers talk about it like they used to the Wii. They went from Wii sports to the kinect dance games for family functions.

Prine

Banned
Nintendo may have opened massive, but MS unlocked how to end with massive sales. Dont think this has ever been achieved, a console so far into its life and continues to perform better than ever.

Those necromongers in Seattle know how to work their magic.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jinfash said:
For a second I forgot that June NPD was 5 weeks. Would that lessen the impact of the 360's YoY numbers or has June always been a 5 week month?

Always a 5 week month.

It goes 4-4-5 so March/June/Sept/Dec are all 5 weeks.

Rocket Punch said:
Zelda sales will tank next month, 3DS sales will follow. Nintendo dun goofed the price. They better think twice about releasing Wii U at more than $250.

3DS sales next month will be tragic.

The Technomancer

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Mario 3DS should be big.
Maybe. Its not 2D Mario, we'll see. Mario Kart will likely be a system mover, if anything is.

But they still don't seem to have that compelling piece of software that makes your average consumer go "I will buy the platform because I want to play that".

Mrbob

Yeah I can see what some of you are saying with the 3DS hardware data, but you would think at some point hardware sales would stabilize. Especially with how low they have been trending month over month. Lower than 24K a week would start putting the system below early PS3 problem troubles.

I guess we'll truly find out if/when we get July hardware data.

the mailn problem with 3DS is NOT price. It is lack of enough incentives to justify that price/purchase of the system, including both games and services.

Wii dropped to 150$, how much did that helped it?

bill0527

Looks like Microsoft may have finally found the Wii killer with Kinect.

Its funny, I was such a fan of the 360 up until Kinect. As my interest wanes, everybody else seems to start buying. I just hate that this motion crap is the future of gaming. I decided last month to sink some money into building a new gaming PC because the console industry is moving to this motion control model.

Kerrby

Banned
TheNatural said:
Sad thing is, there were some nice retailer deals for the 3DS in June too. When OoT came out there were "buy a 3DS get a gift card" things and "buy OoT get a free game." Beware videogame companies: $250 is too much to make a handheld no matter what you put in it. You're not Apple.

Especially if there's no games out for it.

TheNatural

My Member!
walking fiend said:
the mailn problem with 3DS is NOT price. It is lack of enough incentives to justify that price/purchase of the system, including both games and services.

Wii dropped to 150$, how much did that helped it?

It is the price. The same reason PSP bombed and DS did well. Wii is a dead console at the end of the it's lifespan, you can't compare dropping the price of a console that's been out almost 5 years to a an overpriced handheld. No one wants to put down $250, and essentially $300 plus dollars with tax to buy a handheld game system and a game. Sorry, people don't want that. Vita is going to do the same thing.

bill0527 said:
Looks like Microsoft may have finally found the Wii killer with Kinect.

Its funny, I was such a fan of the 360 up until Kinect. As my interest wanes, everybody else seems to start buying. I just hate that this motion crap is the future of gaming. I decided last month to sink some money into building a new gaming PC because the console industry is moving to this motion control model.

Evidence that these sales figures has anything to do with kinect?

rosjos44

mentalfloss said:
Well, as we've learned in this thread, the system can stay above 100,000 without the help of a system seller like OOT, so, it should be just fine for Nintendo.

They are making quite a profit off this thing with 0 competition until next year.

They will drop the price once they begin to feel threatened by PSV.

PSV will go through the same thing 3DS is going through now. High price and will most likely have a lack luster line up (pass the hardcore titles) to really push sales pass its second month.

By the time the PSV comes out the 3DS will have major first party hitters which will most likely sell very well. This software will push the 3DS up and get pass its slump right now. I always call the first year of any consoles life the "hardware" cycle were its the excitement of the console hardware that has people purchasing more so than the software.

The Technomancer

TheNatural said:
It is the price. The same reason PSP bombed and DS did well. Wii is a dead console at the end of the it's lifespan, you can't compare dropping the price of a console that's been out almost 5 years to a an overpriced handheld. No one wants to put down $250, and essentially $300 plus dollars with tax to buy a handheld game system and a game. Sorry, people don't want that. Vita is going to do the same thing.
Vita is going to have an even harder time, since its not going to have first party Nintendo software.
The 3DS is off to a weak start, but if Nintendo manages to a.)get some damn games out and b.)drop the price to $180-200 by next summer it could still pull some decent numbers.

rosjos44 said:
Music games lasted more than 6 years (a typical console life cycle) so I do not agree with your novelty reasoning. Software sells hardware and the Wii was not getting that support outside of first party titles. If the Wii had Ps2 level support than you would see a major difference in sales data (meaning the industry going up not down).

But the insane industry revenue numbers in 2008 were largely on the back of Nintendo Motion software and Guitar Hero.

December 2008 top 10 said:
Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) – 1.46 million
Call of Duty: World at War (X360) – 1.33 million*
Wii Fit w/ balance board (Wii) – 999K
Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel (Wii) – 979K
Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) – 850K*
Gears of War 2 (X360) – 745K*
Left 4 Dead (X360) – 629K
Mario Kart (NDS) – 540K
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) – 533K
Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) – 497K*

Games like WaW, Gears, and L4D are more popular than ever, so what fell off? Either it didn't last because it was simply a fad and people grew tired of these games, or because Nintendo and other developers simply stopped releasing them.

The fact that two of the best-selling games of the year were over $99 MSRP just wasn't sustainable. Activision and MTV tried to milk it as far as it would go, to no avail.

UberTag

butter_stick said:
You can't sell your console on a novelty and expect people to keep playing it. It's why music games died too. Wii was the Wii Sports machine for everyone outside of the typical Nintendo fan, and the typical Nintendo fan is only interested in Nintendo's games.
Kind of makes you wonder why Nintendo purchased Monolithsoft, doesn't it?
Their games won't sell to casuals.
Their games won't sell to "typical Nintendo fans" due to lack of mascots.
Their games won't sell to hardcores.

Might as well shut them down then. Oh wait, no let's EXPAND them instead to a 2nd office even though their games sell far worse now than they did in the PS2 / Gamecube era. Thanks in large part to not even being released overseas.

TheNatural

My Member!
The_Technomancer said:
Vita is going to have an even harder time, since its not going to have first party Nintendo software.
The 3DS is off to a weak start, but if Nintendo manages to a.)get some damn games out and b.)drop the price to $180-200 by next summer it could still pull some decent numbers.

It will at least get people who want something new for a holiday launch, but yeah, the games that didn't do shit for the PS3 are supposed to sell the Vita? I do get that point. Overall though, nothing is going to hold up at $250 that's a gaming machine. It's just too damn much. I didn't think so at first, but it's definitely what the case is.

bill0527

outunderthestars said:
Evidence that these sales figures has anything to do with kinect?

Common sense.

Microsoft weren't pulling these kinds of numbers before it came along, outside of holiday sales. Certainly not in the doldrums of summer.

Kusagari

I expect both Vita and 3DS to combine for the lowest generation of handheld sales ever. Welcome our new mobile overlords people.

Damn Nintendo. Release some real 3DS games already.

Even E3 was pretty devoid of new 3DS titles.

And they expect to launch a new console next year?

Relaxed Muscle said:
Xbox 360 is a beast right now.

Why MS should consider the next one, when the 360 sales still growing YoY ?

Edit: And 3DS is sad.

MS won't get to have back to school free 360 promotions forever....

bill0527 said:
Common sense.

Microsoft weren't pulling these kinds of numbers before it came along, outside of holiday sales. Certainly not in the doldrums of summer.

Once again, FREE XBOX 360's with laptop purchase.

Kusagari said:
I expect both Vita and 3DS to combine for the lowest generation of handheld sales ever. Welcome our new mobile overlords people.

I highly doubt the 3DS and Vita combine for less than 80m sold worldwide in their lifetime.

bill0527 said:
Common sense.

It's probably the free Xbox's with Windows 7 PCs. Plus it is weird that this would be because of Kinect when I don't see any Kinect games in the top 10.

Top Bottom