• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Drago

Yes to Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts.

No to the Marios.

Nintendo's design philosophy is different than most other publishers. (Being their AAA teams actually made these games.) They are, in essence, the next games in the series.
Kingdom Hearts DDD is apparently really important to the story and is the connection to KH 2 and 3... I don't know if I'd consider that a spinoff.

Kusagari

Who are all these mystery people that are going to buy a $200 handheld to play CoD when they can already play it on 360/PS3?

Nobody has ever answered this in all the CoD Vita hoopla.

Road

Would you do me a favor and make a chart that goes to month 36 of the DS?

I'm curious to see when the system really took off and how much of a sharp angle it did so at.

Week 36:

iTzfLbjEh3G9D.png

Week 38 (DS at the end of 2007)

i7a2UKQztSAYm.png

jman2050

At least 250k I can personally see around at least 650k(you never know maybe even more) vitas being sold between October- December when you factor in CoD+ass creed+black Friday +Christmas +price drop but ALOT of people in this thread would disagree so I didn't state it before.

That's an awfully low number.

I'd imagine even the Vita could manage 1-1.5 mil in the US during October-December.

test_account

XP-39C²
Call of Duty isn't a handheld market game. That trumps all the talk about spinoffs and whatnot.
Just wondering, what are you predicting of CoD Vita? Doesnt have to be 100% specific numbers, but do you think 100k, 500k, 1 million? More? Less?

EDIT: You answered just before i asked :) 1 - 1.5 million is pretty solid in my opinion. Small compared to the console parts (but the handheld market is also much smaller now), but 1.5 million on it's own isnt a bad number.

Hasn't it already been said CoD Vita will be a different game than the console brethren?

That alone ruins basically the only compelling argument people on here had for it selling well. There's basically a 0% chance now the MP will connect with the PS3 version.
Complains when vita gets console ports and then complains when it doesn't. I dont understand you GAF.

Kingdom Hearts DDD is apparently really important to the story and is the connection to KH 2 and 3... I don't know if I'd consider that a spinoff.

BBS
365/2
DDD
the card game on gba

are main line titles

the only I would consider a spinoff is recoded

can personally see around at least 650k(you never know maybe even more)

Holy jesus 650k holiday sales and they might as cancel the thing now. You realize 650k between the three biggest months of the year would be one of the biggest disasters in sales history?

Complains when vita gets console ports and then complains when it doesn't. I dont understand you GAF.

Maybe..just maybe they aren't the same people.

Kusagari

I'm not 'complaining' about anything.

I'm simply stating the truth that cross-multiplayer was the one true killer app CoD Vita could have had to make people pick it up. And it most likely won't have it now.

SkylineRKR

First see what CoD will end up being. No screens, Treyarch not knowing who develops.. yeah.

For now I'd say it will do CoD Wii numbers. Those were some sort of spin offs too, right?

That's an awfully low number.

I'd imagine even the Vita could manage 1-1.5 mil in the US during October-December.
I'm extremely pessimistic and when ever I believe something will happen it doesn't. Deep down inside I think it could do 1.5 infact I was thinking of that while I typed that. I usually go with the lowest # something can reach they say I dont get disappointed.

Matt

Who are all these mystery people that are going to buy a $200 handheld to play CoD when they can already play it on 360/PS3?

Nobody has ever answered this in all the CoD Vita hoopla.

Even better who is going to pay $350 (system+game+memory+tax) to play a portable, lesser version of CoD? Why don't they just pay $60 for the full game, and play on the console they have played for years with all their friends?

Kazerei

Banned
At least 250k I can personally see around at least 650k(you never know maybe even more) vitas being sold between October- December when you factor in CoD+ass creed+black Friday +Christmas +price drop but ALOT of people in this thread would disagree so I didn't state it before.

Umm, your sense of scale seems a bit off ... 650k is for the holiday season is a really low number.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BBS is basically KH Zero. Chain of Memories is 1.5 Dream Drop Distance is 2.99999999

I could see someone making the argument that Days (which is like square root of KH2) and Coded/Recoded (2.7 or so) are definitely spinoffs. But those first three might as well be numbered titles.

Petrae

1.) Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heores (360, Wii, PS3)

Wow wii beat PS3 for the top game. First time?

It was about a 20K difference between the Wii and PS3 versions of LEGO Batman 2.

The game charted three different SKUs on the Top 10 Individual List. X360 version was third, Wii version was fifth, PS3 version was ninth.

I'd say the best lessons Sony should learn from Vita's disaster are

1) Meet with third parties and don't just suppose they'll come to you just since they had a good success on your platform...in just one territory

3) Above all, no ridiculous and masochists decisions like the SD memory one.

1 - they should've learnt that from the PS3 tbh.

3 - the price gouging on memory seems like going back to their traditional roots with the PS3 being the anomaly in their history with proprietary formats. Meaning this is a real possibility for PS4 and not just an assumption they definitely and categorically won't (price gouge).

From the same company that had a 20 ft PowerPoint that exclaimed that "the console war is over". Now we can't even get ambiguous percentages out of them.

That was for PS2 though wasn't it? Either way spinning figures is hard man, give them a break :p

I would scratch 358/2 and maybe even the GBA one considering the PS2 remake

Consider the gba

gba/ps2

365 days is a main line title as it is 2.5

There is nothing gaiden about it

DDD according to the producer i 3 part 1

so its certainly main

BBS=0

memories is 1.5

Even better who is going to pay $350 (system+game+memory+tax) to play a portable, lesser version of CoD? Why don't they just pay $60 for the full game, and play on the console they have played for years with all their friends?

For 350 dollars you could buy a 360+Kinect CoD, or a PS3, CoD, and like 2 other games if the PS3 price cut we're expecting comes in. This is the problem when placing bets on spinoffs of console games to save systems.

Out of the entire report this bothers me the most

"In the first half of 2012, there were 34% less new software SKUs compared to last year. "

Matt

First see what CoD will end up being. No screens, Treyarch not knowing who develops.. yeah.

For now I'd say it will do CoD Wii numbers. Those were some sort of spin offs too, right?

It would be pretty amazing if CoD on Vita sold the same as a CoD on a system with 50 times its user base. I don't see that happening.

Unless we get some positive news about CoD Vita, it could sell less than what CoD Wii typically gets. I mean, I doubt people bought Wiis to play CoD - it sold to people who already owned the system. And the Vita install base is nowhere near the size of the Wii's.

As somebody said above, how many people are going to drop $300+ instead of $60 to play CoD on Vita instead of PS360?

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00. And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times. If CoD was ever a 360 exclusive (even if it was a timed exclusive) 360 is selling 2 million that month from ps3 owners alone if its around Christmas/black Friday time and 360 was around 150.

BY2K

Membero Americo
1.) Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heores (360, Wii, PS3, NDS, 3DS, PSV, PC) Warner Bros.

i9WRJXVQ8lsvP.gif

Nintendo Software LTDs:
Super Mario 3D Land: 2.1 Million
Mario Kart 7: 1.75 Million
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time: 1 Million

i07HqbVBCBDHS.gif

Hardware:

Nintendo 3DS: 155K (+8.4%)

iiEGcr4nBeGwK.gif

Vita + PSP: ~100K [According to Nintendo's PR statements.]

ibuUkpeUkUTh7n.gif

(If true)

But really surprised about Lego Batman 2. Surprised and pleased. It deserves it. Best Lego game yet.

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00.And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times. If CoD was ever a 360 exclusive (even if it was a timed exclusive) 360 is selling 2 million that month from ps3 owners alone if its around Christmas/black Friday time and 360 was around 150.

Didn't know Nintendo had gone 3rd party.

What are you even trying to say in that last sentence. There is no grammar there.

jman2050

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00.

Okay, this made me laugh.

And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times.

I don't think Mario and Pokemon will be released on Vita any time soon. Just a feeling.

If CoD was ever a 360 exclusive (even if it was a timed exclusive) 360 is selling 2 million that month from ps3 owners alone if its around Christmas/black Friday time and 360 was around 150.

I don't even understand this sentence.

It would be pretty amazing if CoD on Vita sold the same as a CoD on a system with 50 times its user base. I don't see that happening.
Its definitely possible. Nintendo owners dont really buy third party games and they still sell over 1 million. User base means jack squat for Nintendo consoles and 3rd party games.

Kusagari

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00. And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times. If CoD was ever a 360 exclusive (even if it was a timed exclusive) 360 is selling 2 million that month from ps3 owners alone if its around Christmas/black Friday time and 360 was around 150.

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Is CoD suddenly Vita exclusive now? The 360/PS3 versions are the exact reason why CoD Vita means absolutely nothing. Nobody is going to buy a $200 handheld for a game they can already play on their own systems.

That's ignoring the rest of the craziness like a $180 bundle and CoD being the biggest IP of all time.

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00. And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times.
:lol

So you're expecting the CoD Vita bundle (with memory card) to cost $70 less than the handheld does right now? If Sony really cares about profitability, it's not getting that much of a pricedrop.

Matt

...huh? I'm getting $350 from the fact that that is, right now, how much it will cost. If Sony announces a magic bundle for $180 then ok, but they haven't, so why should we consider that as a given right now (or ever, because it's INSANE)?

ZenaxPure

BBS is basically KH Zero. Chain of Memories is 1.5 Dream Drop Distance is 2.99999999

CoM may as well been KH2
was a better game anyway

I could see someone making the argument that Days (which is like square root of KH2) and Coded/Recoded (2.7 or so) are definitely spinoffs. But those first three might as well be numbered titles.

I like how this makes perfect sense.

test_account

XP-39C²
:lol

So you're expecting the CoD Vita bundle (with memory card) to cost $70 less than the handheld does right now? If Sony really cares about profitability, it's not getting that much of a pricedrop.
The Asssassins Creed bundle is $249. It also includes a memory card.

EDIT: Oops, didnt see the $179 price. I agree that this price is unlikely yeah.

Its definitely possible. Nintendo owners dont really buy third party games and they still sell over 1 million. User base means jack squat for Nintendo consoles and 3rd party games.

And looking at Vita software sales you could say they buy barely anything at all. What's your point?

Kazerei

Banned

I'm always so confused when I read your posts. You seem to be arguing that COD Vita will be successful and help push hardware sales, yet your sense of scale throws me off. Vita could sell 650k over the holiday season? 360 could sell 2 million that month with exclusive COD? I think you should go to the thread archive and have a look around.

Top Bottom