• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Gradivus

Decent month for Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts DDD will be out around the 31th with NSMB2+Nintendo 3DS XL coming about 20 days after. I wonder how those two games in general do on the NPD charts during the time to come.

Vita is not PSP or ds its able to deliver a full ungimped experience.

Doesn't matter if Activision doesn't put the resources in to make it not gimped. And yes I can say Vita MP isn't as nearly as big of a selling point to play CoD as playing on console. Vita will have to rely on Wifi outside to play the multiplayer which could lead to a bunch of people dropping in and out and if people have to play it at home why wouldn't they just play the 360 or PS3 games especially when Declassified is a spinoff.

SkylineRKR

Isn't CoD Vita going to be done by that mobile gaming team from Activision? I'm not expection all that much from it to be honest.

No screens or anything either...

Road

The gba didnt do the numbers the 3ds did in the first year overall.

Remember, the 3ds had just as aweful a start.........

Its setting personal nintendo records.....Its there fastest selling US nintendo system to 5 Million they did say that about 4 months ago when they were getting close

iwBUzJQOCPu0g.png

Takao

Banned
Decent month for Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts DDD will be out around the 31th with NSMB2+Nintendo 3DS XL coming about 20 days after. I wonder how those two games in general do on the NPD charts during the time to come.

Dream Drop Distance didn't do well in Japan, so it's going to have to make up for lost ground in the west (KH titles, barring Birth By Sleep because well, PSP sell better in the west, this one's just going to need to do more). Reasons behind the Japanese no-go can range from previous Nintendo iterations being seen as worthless to the overall franchise, and just too much platform hoping between iterations.

Cheebo

Banned

Yeah, the guy was just making up nonsense off the top of his head. GBA is crushing 3DS at this point. And in a few months unless something dramatic happen you'll see the DS line start to go above the 3DS one and never look back.

On GAF yes. I never bought the hype and always said it didn't have a key marketing point.

It always looked like it was falling into the same exact trap PSP did. People were too blinded by the hardware.

Pretty much. I got a bunch of things wrong in those late-2010/early-2011 PSP2/NGP threads, but I always said that I was never able to see a viable software strategy for a second-place handheld with a budget ceiling approaching that of HD consoles, and I have to say I've been proven right thus far.

is that chart US only? I think thats where I goofed. Nintendo said it worldwide and in japan, not US..........Sorry. Thats my bad

Yeah the gba did dominate even more than i thought in the US

Kusagari

Hasn't it already been said CoD Vita will be a different game than the console brethren?

That alone ruins basically the only compelling argument people on here had for it selling well. There's basically a 0% chance now the MP will connect with the PS3 version.

The estimates were more like $300-400 IIRC. Remember the PS3 was almost the cheapest BD player when it launched (many were still >$1k when it launched) in addition to crazy ass hardware (a lot of it no longer in new PS3s).

Jesus that's insane, i remembered it being high i didn't want to post a number like that as it seemed ridiculous.

Ugh. /facepalm

This. Again.

Demonstrably untrue based on examination of Sony's financials, a gross oversimplification considering PS2 continued to create revenue throughout the PS3's life-span, and it didn't come from a financial analyst, it was a glib sound-bite from Dave Perry (of Gaikai, and now irony of ironies, Sony).

That's not where it is from at all. The numbers being tallied on GAF (by i forget who) showed the PS3 to be like 6-7 billion in the hole which was more money than the PS1 and PS2 ever made. That's including all the profit being made at the tail end of the PSP and PS2s life span (as the gaming segment was still losing a ton of money in that period). That's when people on here started saying it.

1) You are but its a sorry and depressing argument

2011 was an absolute monster year for PC gaming, just type it into google and see for yourself. Diablo 3 is not the reason for the huge growth in PC gaming.

2) EA, zynga, nintendo, sony, microsoft.......at least the big names

That's kinda my point. You can't point to a list basically made up of companies only making games on consoles/handhelds and use that as an example of all the other gaming segments.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pretty much. I got a bunch of things wrong in those late-2010/early-2011 PSP2/NGP threads, but I always said that I was never able to see a viable software strategy for a second-place handheld with a budget ceiling approaching that of HD consoles, and I have to say I've been proven right thus far.

Sony need to release the Vita year before the 3DS. Not after.

Cheebo

Banned
is that chart US only? I think thats where I goofed. Nintendo said it worldwide and in japan, not US..........Sorry. Thats my bad

This is a US sales thread. ;) Japan is a different market entirely. Smartphone gaming and tablet gaming isn't as huge there as it is here.

250k if the price drops to 179.99 and comes with a memory card. Maybe even more than that.

250k systems would not be a good result at all for a supposed Vita "savior".

Sony need to release the Vita year before the 3DS. Not after.

Well then they wouldn't have been able to have the huge tech gap over the 3DS that they wanted and then what would they have sold the Vita on? They might have been able to get Monster Hunter if they had launched first though, but in the end a year before rhe 3DS the PSP was still riding high and the Vita would have had to compete hard with the PSP in Japan and things could be even worse.

Matt

250k if the price drops to 179.99 and comes with a memory card. Maybe even more than that.

Well, I think your original guess of 200k was already generous, but even if your new one is right, what is 250k units going to do for the Vita, really?

@AdventureRacing

Honestly I dont care all to much.........

The stocks was to prove the point that those companies which we see all the time werent doing good, that wasnt a carry over from the last point

This is a US sales thread. ;) Japan is a different market entirely. Smartphone gaming and tablet gaming isn't as huge there as it is here.

You pwned me, I apologize, you have to be a big man to admit you were wrong,and I am that big man (michael scott).

According to iwata, smartphones havent shrunken the dedicated portable market, but grown the overall market, I guess we will see how true

Kazerei

Banned
The gba didnt do the numbers the 3ds did in the first year overall.

Remember, the 3ds had just as aweful a start.........

Its setting personal nintendo records.....Its there fastest selling US nintendo system to 5 Million they did say that about 4 months ago when they were getting close

You were probably thinking of this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2012/120220.html

3DS was the fastest to 5 million in Japan

I swear they used to include the reporting period in the software chart every month - anyone know which weeks June's numbers cover?

EDIT: and if they still do, where am i missing it? thx.

Lol zlso you are saying CoD won't be the most popular game on vita and increase sales. You are saying that it won't affect vita sales in any way. You are saying it wind be a success. OK

Who ever said it wouldn't be a success and change Vita sales in no way. We are talking about game that can change Vita's fortune and some 250k selling game isn't going to do that.

So basically to you, nothing will sell Vitas. Good to know.

What the fuck is this? Stop putting words in mouth. The original conversation was about what could save Vita right now and Call of Duty was brought up. Selling 250k systems wouldn't do anything for the overall system's health.

Matt

Lol zlso you are saying CoD won't be the most popular game on vita and increase sales. You are saying that it won't affect vita sales in any way. You are saying it wind be a success. OK

Lets put it another way. Lets say every single Vita owner in the world bought a copy of CoD, plus 250k. That would still be pretty dismal sales.

Kusagari

At least. I don't think things would have turned out that differently had it launched simultaneously with 3DS, all other things being equal.

It is true that GAF went particularly crazy after Vita was revealed to be $250. Every thread was how nobody would buy a $250 3DS over a $250 Vita.

Then Nintendo nipped that in the bud really fucking quick.

graywolf323

Would you do me a favor and make a chart that goes to month 36 of the DS?

I'm curious to see when the system really took off and how much of a sharp angle it did so at.

it took off when the DS Lite hit didn't it? or did that happen in month 36?

edit: okay looked it up and the DS Lite released after ~18 months in America

Doesn't matter if Activision doesn't put the resources in to make it not gimped. And yes I can say Vita MP isn't as nearly as big of a selling point to play CoD as playing on console. Vita will have to rely on Wifi outside to play the multiplayer which could lead to a bunch of people dropping in and out and if people have to play it at home why wouldn't they just play the 360 or PS3 games especially when Declassified is a spinoff.

Is Mario 3d land/kingdom hearts dream drop distance/New super Mario bros 3ds/Resident evil revelations spin offs to you. And I just used my galaxy s 2(3g) to tether its internet to my ps3 and played a couple of games if mw3 and it was practically flawless. MW3 uses crappy p2p servers and if I remember correctly Sony provides dedicated servers for all exclusives if I'm not mistaken. This means playing CoD multi player on a 3g vita wouldn't be out of the question. You also seriously under estimate how many people have tethering plans for their smart phones in regards to your being stuck on wifi problem. And Oh can i play cod multiplayer on the toilet? Can I play it in bed while the girl is watching TV? It definitely will serve its purpose IMO.

Is Mario 3d land/kingdom hearts dream drop distance/New super Mario bros 3ds/Resident evil revelations spin offs to you. And I just used my galaxy s 2(3g) to tether its internet to my ps3 and played a couple of games if mw3 and it was practically flawless. MW3 uses crappy p2p servers and if I remember correctly Sony provides dedicated servers for all exclusives if I'm not mistaken. This means playing CoD multi player on a 3g vita wouldn't be out of the question. You also seriously under estimate how many people have tethering plans for their smart phones in regards to your being stuck on wifi problem. And Oh can i play cod multiplayer on the toilet? Can I play it in bed while the girl is watching TV? It definitely will serve its purpose IMO.

How the hell is New Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D Land spinoffs? NSMB2 has a 2 in the name ffs. And yes KH DDD and Revelations are spinoffs. I don't know what you are even getting at anymore.

Matt

..you can't play online on a 3G Vita, and you are really not think this through very clearly.

What the fuck is this? Stop putting words in mouth. The original conversation was about what could save Vita right now and Call of Duty was brought up. Selling 250k systems wouldn't do anything for the overall system's health.

How certain are you that the Vita is going to sell 250K for Christmas? Your guess is just as good anyone else. Trying to preempt the holidays by going, "Oh CoD and AC are just ports. They aren't going to sell hardware," is ridiculous especially this early in the Vita's life.

Is Mario 3d land/kingdom hearts dream drop distance/New super Mario bros 3ds/Resident evil revelations spin offs to you.

Yes to Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts.

No to the Marios.

Nintendo's design philosophy is different than most other publishers. (Being their AAA teams actually made these games.) They are, in essence, the next games in the series.

Matt

How certain are you that the Vita is going to sell 250K for Christmas? Your guess is just as good anyone else. Trying to preempt the holidays by going, "Oh CoD and AC are just ports. They aren't going to sell software," is ridiculous especially this early in the Vita's life.

That was the guy who think CoD will make a difference that said it will add 250k to Vita's numbers. I think even that is way too high.

SkylineRKR

Yes, Nintendo throws their best studios at handheld gaming. They know how to approach it.

Sony typically outsources to Nihilistic, Bend etc. Thats also a difference. Uncharted Vita is good, but its not that polished game a Naughty Dog entry is.

How certain are you that the Vita is going to sell 250K for Christmas? Your guess is just as good anyone else. Trying to preempt the holidays by going, "Oh CoD and AC are just ports. They aren't going to sell hardware," is ridiculous especially this early in the Vita's life.

Whats ridiculous is you to trying to pin that 250k number on me when we weren't even talking about holiday sales. We were talking with the other guy how many systems a CoD game would move. Unless you think Vita would sell 0 without CoD it would obviously sell more.

Lets put it another way. Lets say every single Vita owner in the world bought a copy of CoD, plus 250k. That would still be pretty dismal sales.
At least 250k I can personally see around at least 650k(you never know maybe even more) vitas being sold between October- December when you factor in CoD+ass creed+black Friday +Christmas +price drop but ALOT of people in this thread would disagree so I didn't state it before.

Top Bottom