• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

If 3DS had to struggle with the market it's unlikely Sony will get a free pass. Due to circumstantial misfortune and lack of real visionary leadership they will be lucky if they survive next-gen without being bought-out.

Sony committed one major blunder already: premium-priced proprietary storage.

Zelda measured up pretty well given that it only had 10 days out in the open.

kswiston

Good post. The real question is why the hell Nintendo decided on a five year cycle at all. At the beginning of the gen they told us that graphics didn't matter, that customer demand for improved hardware had reached a saturation point, that accessibility would drive success from then on - and they were right. If that's the case, why would they need to upgrade the Wii? With a steady flow of best selling games, Wii could have sold strongly for 7 years or more. We've seen it happen in the past, and it's really ironic that the Xbox 360 might be the only console that accomplishes that goal this gen. Nintendo's expanded audience doesn't need a new console every five years, and neither do core gamers judging by 360 sales this year. Nintendo really blundered by cutting off Wii software development IMO.

Nintendo always has an amazing software lineup in the first 2-3 years of a console's lifespan before it dries up to a trickle. I think that is the one downside to their evergreen model. The popularity of the Wii at least afforded us late Mario and Zelda sequels this time around.

I can safely say they aren't.

Nothing about its design leads me to think so.

Yep. Mostly cellphone tech that will be dirt cheap in 3 years. If Vita is starting as another loss-leader console, it won't take long before they are making a profit per unit.

okenny

Banned
I can safely say they aren't.

Nothing about its design leads me to think so.

I think they are hoping on the idea of capturing the ports from every Wii-U and iOS port they can get but I do not think Sony understands the danger of courting the mobile games business model as Nintendo does. Nintendo is trying to make hardware to differentiate itself while Sony is still hoping they can make the swiss army knife of games. You know about someone who can do everything...

That is a damn risky gamble... and I don't see it in the systems design. Being truthful it should be really easy to dev for, easy to get costs down quickly, almost a Nintendo GCN era design. I mean that with lots of love.

This is why I'm at a loss. I see the Vita being the "safe" system for them. The one that won't kill them if it fails to take off. The PS3 was a huge risk in hindsight.

It's only safe if they are willing to let it be a niche device if sales start off like the 3DS. They can't afford to gamble and price cut quickly like Nintendo did.

7 unless I'm missing something. 20,21,22,23,24,25,26

jman2050

If Sony is truly riding everything as you say on the Vita, they need to fire their financial advisors right now.

Well, I said short-term. Who knows what they'll ultimately do with the PS4, but I think their current priorities are trying to establish the revenue stream in the portable space that they mostly failed to get with the PSP, and part of that is going to be trying to get a bigger piece of Apple's pie. Their next-gen transition will by necessity require some major risk, so I'm thinking that they want to take a page from Nintendo's book and have their portable market to cushion the blow if necessary.

Or I could be wrong and they're just throwing the Vita out there on the off-chance of a home run and are going all in on PS4 no matter what. Doesn't sound likely to me though.

It's only safe if they are willing to let it be a niche device if sales start off like the 3DS. They can't afford to gamble and price cut quickly like Nintendo did.

7 unless I'm missing something. 20,21,22,23,24,25,26

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

The cutoff date is 26?

Guess you learn something new every day.

Now bearing in mind that it came out mid-month, SM3D Land had a bit of a minor start.

They've already given up exclusivity on the only big mover their handheld had.

I think Sony is completely prepared to sell as little as half of their last handheld marketshare.

Cheech

I think Sony is completely prepared to sell as little as half of their last handheld marketshare.

I suspect Sony is banking on getting people to buy the Vita for the big sizzle games like Uncharted, and hoping to keep them around with smaller/cheaper mobile games.

Problem is, of course, those games play just as well on your smartphone.

Back when the 3DS launched, you intuitively knew it was going to thud at $250, regardless of games. Now that the price is more reasonable plus games, it's taking off.

What is Sony going to do when the Vita thuds at $250? Who wants to bet they don't have Nintendo's built-in gigantic profit margin that lets them do that? They certainly don't have Nintendo's compelling game franchises to fall back on. Sony's board should fire themselves if they signed off on yet another console that had $40+ taped to every box as it went out the door.

inky

Does anyone remember back in early 2010 when the 360 would be beaten by the PS3, Microsoft would always say they were supply constrained. I believe this was around or before the time the slim got introduced. Given it's performance over the last 18 months, is it safe now to say that MS wasn't full of shit?

I remember it the other way around actually. MS beating the PS3 consistently during early 2010, and Sony claiming supply constrains.

GavinGT

Banned
I remember it the other way around actually. MS beating the PS3 consistently during early 2010, and Sony claiming supply constrains.

Looking back at those NPDs, you're totally right and okenny is still crazy.

I take no blame, as I was operating under the assumption that he wasn't presenting a false premise. :)

Massive month for the 360 and it's going to be a very interesting December. I think the fact that the 360 is stacking up so well against the PS3 without a price drop is very telling.

Back when the 3DS launched, you intuitively knew it was going to thud at $250, regardless of games. Now that the price is more reasonable plus games, it's taking off.

Hindsight bias at its finest. I'm not going to say no one saw this coming but most people thought it would sell anyway and some analysts (cough Pachter cough) thought nintneod were making a mistake selling it so cheap.

jeremy1456

Well, I said short-term. Who knows what they'll ultimately do with the PS4, but I think their current priorities are trying to establish the revenue stream in the portable space that they mostly failed to get with the PSP, and part of that is going to be trying to get a bigger piece of Apple's pie. Their next-gen transition will by necessity require some major risk, so I'm thinking that they want to take a page from Nintendo's book and have their portable market to cushion the blow if necessary.

Or I could be wrong and they're just throwing the Vita out there on the off-chance of a home run and are going all in on PS4 no matter what. Doesn't sound likely to me though.

Your major mistake is that you think Apple is a competitor. No serious gamer is going to use an Iphone as a primary handheld gaming system. It's casual gamers, not the kind that would buy a DS even for $120.

Although... Apple has the most rabid, downright insane fanbase. Perhaps they wouldn't buy a Vita or 3DS just because they want to support their corporation.

Cheech

Hindsight bias at its finest. I'm not going to say no one saw this coming but most people thought it would sell anyway and some analysts (cough Pachter cough) thought nintneod were making a mistake selling it so cheap.

Anybody who thought the 3DS wasn't going to belly flop at $250 does not have small children, who are universally obsessed with iOS devices.

BurntPork

Banned
I suspect Sony is banking on getting people to buy the Vita for the big sizzle games like Uncharted, and hoping to keep them around with smaller/cheaper mobile games.

Problem is, of course, those games play just as well on your smartphone.

What is Sony going to do when the Vita thuds at $250? Who wants to bet they don't have Nintendo's built-in gigantic profit margin that lets them do that? They certainly don't have Nintendo's compelling game franchises to fall back on. Sony's board should fire themselves if they signed off on yet another console that had $40+ taped to every box as it went out the door.

Will it be PSPgo-level shit that nobody will buy because the ghost of Apple past sliced it with an ax or something?

No, wait, it'll just be discontinued in short order HAHAHAHAHAH- oh wait that one was me

Because they need 3rd party. And 3rd party detested and still detest Wii. Nintendo cannot provide a steady steam of software on their own. Wii U is a necessary upgrade.

Nintendo produces games that launch their hardware into the stratosphere; Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Mario Kart, NSMB. Those games also have small budgets and short development times. Nintendo can absolutely support a console on their own, even if it's not the best case scenario. The Wii proved that.

Nintendo always has an amazing software lineup in the first 2-3 years of a console's lifespan before it dries up to a trickle. I think that is the one downside to their evergreen model. The popularity of the Wii at least afforded us late Mario and Zelda sequels this time around.

Not the NES or, to a lesser extent, the SNES. The difference between then and now is that Nintendo was more willing to make new IP then, and development time was shorter. But as I said above, Nintendo's biggest games this gen were developed very quickly, and half of them were new IP's. Nintendo's problem is that they aren't willing to focus on the software that drives their platforms. It should also be noted that Nintendo makes a conscious choice to abandon their platforms because they are preparing for the next hardware launch. They do this because they still believe in the 5 year cycle superstition. This creates a self-fulfilling prophecy were Nintendo consoles loose momentum in their later years because Nintendo has already shifted focus to their new console.

When I say niche I don't mean 35-40 million sales. I'm talking about half of the half. I'm not sure if they would be able to just say screw it and be content with eeking out a few bucks while moving on to the next thing. I really hope they have the doomsday situation all planned out so they aren't making a rushed decision that could seriously harm the company.

And just so we are clear before incinerated swine shows up, I'm not predicting that it will bomb. I'm just discussing what Sony's reaction would be.

The biggest mistake Sony did was revel in the success of PS2 sales which resulted in PS3 getting a lackluster start. MS knows this and will still bring out a console early because they want to start 1st even if its selling blockbusters of consoles

Concept17

Awesome sales all around. I'm really happy about the PS3 and software in general. Seeing AC, SR3, UC3, and Skyrim all up there, all well deserving, is just great.

Good post. The real question is why the hell Nintendo decided on a five year cycle at all. At the beginning of the gen they told us that graphics didn't matter, that customer demand for improved hardware had reached a saturation point, that accessibility would drive success from then on - and they were right. If that's the case, why would they need to upgrade the Wii? With a steady flow of best selling games, Wii could have sold strongly for 7 years or more. We've seen it happen in the past, and it's really ironic that the Xbox 360 might be the only console that accomplishes that goal this gen. Nintendo's expanded audience doesn't need a new console every five years, and neither do core gamers judging by 360 sales this year. Nintendo really blundered by cutting off Wii software development IMO.

Good question. Here's what I think:

Nintendo tends to make one installment of a franchise per system. Sometimes two like in the case of Mario Galaxy, but as a general rule they like to stick to 1. This makes sense in a lot of ways -- Nintendo would much prefer to have an evergreen title that keeps selling years after release than spend resources making similar games year after year. And it helps avoid diluting the brand.

The question for Nintendo becomes: would users really want to buy another copy of Mario Kart for the Wii? Can they do anything to make the new Mario Kart so different that it demands a new purchase?

The answer (to Nintendo) is no. Sure, they could make it use Wii Motion+, but I think it's obvious that Wii Motion+ is not enough to offer an appreciably new experience for Mario Kart. But the Wii U is dramatically different and allows them to offer a brand new experience to the consumer. And not only that, it offers that opportunity for all of Nintendo's core franchises, and also allows them space to create new ones (like Wii _____ on the Wii).

Nintendo is really in the business of making new experiences that people will love, and then packaging them in familiar brands so that people will give them a try. A new platform allows that a lot more than retaining the current one.

Anybody who thought the 3DS wasn't going to belly flop at $250 does not have small children, who are universally obsessed with iOS devices.

Well i didn't see pretty much anyone saying this before the 3DS launched. That plus i'm still not convinced that the price was the only or even the major problem. I still believe that if they had actually launched with some big software instead of basically nothing for months they would have sold fine.

The biggest mistake Sony did was revel in the success of PS2 sales which resulted in PS3 getting a lackluster start. MS knows this and will still bring out a console early because they want to start 1st even if its selling blockbusters of consoles

No the biggest mistake was $599.

george_us

I'll take it where I can get it.

I will never understand why it always has to be zero sum to some of you guys. No layers.

It's always Nintendo/Sony/MS are the winners/losers/fucknuggets.

The closest thing to truth I can see coming out of this generation is that Nintendo made more money, sold more consoles, and shit on all that goodwill. MS picked up the slack, and is in a pretty damn good position going forward. Sony is in a completely precarious position going into next gen.

I struggle to see where their position in the market is. And that makes them the one to watch. I can see how Nintendo wants to position themselves, I can see where MS is going to end up.

Sony, the one time owner of both casual and hardcore, relinquished control of both.
I agree with your general sentiment.

Personally I don't even see why people give a shit about how much each console is selling other outside of caring about the console manufacturers profit margins. Wii was absolutely decimating 360 and the PS3 combined yet that didn't make too much of a difference in terms of what consoles got what games.

Gravijah

Personally I don't even see why people give a shit about how much each console is selling other outside of caring about the console manufacturers profit margins. Wii was absolutely decimating 360 and the PS3 combined yet that didn't make too much of a difference in terms of what consoles got what games.

someone has to win damn it

kswiston

Ya, game sales matter a lot more. If a genre of games don't sell on a system, publishers stop releasing them for that system. Look at Gamecube last gen.

Good post. The real question is why the hell Nintendo decided on a five year cycle at all.

Probably because everyone at Nintendo knew that the Eternal Blue Ocean was the Permanent Republican Majority of game-console market-leadership: a good sound bite based on seemingly solid demographic trends but ultimately vulnerable to the more complex realities of the market.

On a basic level, when you're a game company and you're trying to sell products to people who aren't gamers, you're in a fundamentally precarious position. Nintendo discovered (and MS are currently discovering) that ultra-casual, expanded-market audiences have none of the brand-loyalty or forward-momentum of traditional markets and they respond very poorly to iteration. The only way to keep ahead of that is to put out a constant stream of completely innovative genius-level software, and even Nintendo weren't actually capable of that.

Ultimately, Apple drank Nintendo's milkshake on the ultra-casual market -- they sell a product for a higher price, with a bigger profit margin, that they refresh much more often, to a much larger crowd, and then pocket the software profits off of someone else's efforts. Focusing more on identified "gamers" is just Nintendo going back to their core competencies and into the area that bigger, better-equipped competitors won't win over without even trying.

(And, I mean, yes, Nintendo should've kept more Wii software flowing, but this is an institutional difficulty everyone has on gaming platforms and it's a large part of the reason that most companies try to develop third-party support.)

The question for Nintendo becomes: would users really want to buy another copy of Mario Kart for the Wii? Can they do anything to make the new Mario Kart so different that it demands a new purchase?

Nope, they can't.

This is, of course, the actual reason that console generations started happening in the first place (not increasing graphical prowess) and it's another place where Nintendo can't really compete with the way that Apple can constantly refresh their platform by selling brand-new hardware on its own merits each year.

kswiston

but the gamecube did horrible hardware wise

Not that much worse than the Xbox in the US. Yet the Xbox retained most of its third party support, while the Gamecube stopped getting ports. Some of it was due to the limitations of Gamecubes media, but horrible sales in genres like sports didn't help.

Top Bottom