• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

NBtoaster

Oh, okay, so we're in the "wishing up hypothetical games that I'm assuming will exist at some point" phase. Carry on.

More importantly, since you're committing the "big console IP = big on handhelds" fallacy, it's just a tad problematic that AC and COD are both more popular on consoles than either GOW or GT are on PS3, last I checked.

Both GT and GOW were big on PSP.

I think GT on PS3 does better than AC on PS3 too.

Safe Bet

Banned
Would have bought a 360 if the Best Buy bundle hadn't sold out.

Would have bought two DSs for the kids if they could have watched Netflix on them.

Speaking of Vita titles, did we ever get a number for how LBP Vita did. The bomba topic just reminded me.

I think 3DSXL+MK7 bundle at 199$ is a pretty good deal.

Not to the general public. They see the fact that they can get full fledge tablet like the Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7 for the same price and see a much better deal, and honestly for something you will carry around you a bunch of the time I would agree with them

I think most people would glad to pay more for the quality and polish that most dedicated handheld games has over more of the iOS stuff, but not the difference Nintendo (and other developers) are asking for.

I really don't think so. People in the west see handheld gaming as very throwaway experiences.

Nintendo dosn't need to bring down their games to the 99 cents price point, there's quite a bunch of software that it sells for 7 or 8 dollars on iOS.

The fact is that asking 40€/$ for the new brain age games is inexcusable and same can be said about their current digital prices.

I think most people would glad to pay more for the quality and polish that most dedicated handheld games has over more of the iOS stuff, but not the difference Nintendo (and other developers) are asking for.

UberTag

No way should Microsoft wait on a launch until 2014. Right now the XBox 360 brand is hot but as a whole videogame sales have been down the last couple of years and some major titles haven't performed well. If Microsoft launches next year they'll have a lot of momentum going into next-gen.
Should you introduce a new system into the marketplace while you have forward momentum? Yes, yes you should.

There will be SOME kind of new Xbox hardware product entering the frey in 2013.

But will it be the full-fledged X360 successor? History seems to dictate that it probably doesn't need to be so long as third-party performance on WiiU continues to flounder.

PlayStation 3 launched in 2006. The PS2 was the industry leader and sold 525,000 systems in November 2005. At a price of $149.

The Xbox 360 just moved 1.26 million systems in November 2012. At a price of $199-299.

Personally, I like the idea of a staggered launch. Throw out something enticing for the hardcore adopters at $399 in limited quantities for holiday 2013. Reel in the mainstream with a more bare-bones version at $249-299 ($99 with a service contract/LIVE subscription commitment or cable company package) to counter Sony's PS4 launch in 2014.

The key is to make the transition from this gen to next gen as painless/seamless as possible for your existing customer base. In other words, do the exact opposite of what Nintendo has done in that department. Do this and your legacy platform (the X360) isn't considered a liability via its sales but is in actuality a gateway to the Xbox LIVE ecosystem of content delivery which you can transition over to other hardware over time.

On what basis? It's a decent launch week number that pretty much tells us nothing. And there was no chance with so many games at launch that a software title would make it into a combined SKU chart

I dunno, it's Mario after all. I mean Twilight Princess pulled it off and that game had a ton working against it, both being multiplatform (Coming out for Wii 2 weeks early), the Wii already coming with an exceedingly popular pack-in game with all models, and coming from a historically less popular franchise.

Sure, years ago. The handheld market has changed since then.

Why would a GoW spinoff for Vita sell not just better, but vastly better than Liberation did?
Because both GT and GOW did very well on the PSP, and previous AC games did not. GOW COO and GT sold over 3 million each.
I don't understand your posts. In what world is the Vita doing OK but the Wii U poorly?

Where the hell did i say that? Maybe you should actually read what i said.
Not good, but apparently both games did really well in November on PSN.
Yeah and the WiiU is doing poorly especially the software.

Matt

Where the hell did i say that? Maybe you should actually read what i said.

What you actually said was several attempts to paint the Vita's and PS3's current state and future prospects as better then they are, while saying Nintendo is in trouble with the Wii U and the 3DS. Those points are just odd together.

If I misunderstood, I apologies.

Because both GT and GOW did very well on the PSP, and previous AC games did not. GOW COO and GT sold over 3 million each.

...so you're basically saying that Liberation only failed to produce a major turnaround because of Bloodlines. Okay.

And again, the handheld market that exists today is not the one that existed seven or five or four or even three years ago. In fairness, Sony itself failed to realize that, hence their entire Western strategy for Vita.

NBtoaster

No, no they are not. Not anymore.

I was going to say that GT5 shipped 9 million and AC3 probably would top that on PS3, but that's over 3 years and AC3 will probably have yearly sequels, each one selling plenty..so you may be right. GOW3 was even less..

WiiU is not doing so hot.

Selling out is not doing so hot? Did you read the article at all? You do realize how a launch works, right? You buy a console, and maybe 1 or two games? Not many people buy 5 or six games, along with their console purchase...because...you know, that costs money.

It's amazing how it's been so long since a home console launch, most people have completely forgotten how they even work. Pachter too, especially.

QaaQer

Nintendo dosn't need to bring down their games to the 99 cents price point, there's quite a bunch of software that it sells for 7 or 8 dollars on iOS.

The fact is that asking 40€/$ for the new brain age games is inexcusable and same can be said about their current digital prices.

Isn't angry birds $30 on 3ds? That kind of stuff is a real turn off.

Did we ever get total Wii U software. I know upthread someone said 1m, but was that confirmed?

For comparison:

1.2m 360
215k PS3
1m Wii (1.5m w/ Wii Sports)

Petrae

Contrast the 166K number for Sticker Star this November with the 459K number for Super Mario 3D Land last November. That's quite the drop-off, even though one is much different than the other.

AniHawk

Contrast the 166K number for Sticker Star this November with the 459K number for Super Mario 3D Land last November. That's quite the drop-off, even though one is much different than the other.

it's definitely the lowest first-month for a mario rpg in a long time, perhaps ever. partners in time did 260k, and bowser's inside story was pretty successful its first month. even paper mario 2 on the gamecube did 180k in its first month in 2004.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Maybe Nintendo is finally feeling the sting of no western 3rd party support on their handhelds?

No, not naming it the "DS2" and us missing out on all the quality Japanese games are biting nintendo in the ass. There is extreme naming confusion with casual non-gamers thinking that the 3DS is just a 3D version of the DS.

It doesn't help that some stores like Target mix the 3DS and DS games together making them neigh indistinguishable.

Nintendo needs to have different font colors and they need to have marketing that pushes the 3DS as the NEXT DS, instead of marketing it as an extension of the DS like what they have been doing since launch.

it's definitely the lowest first-month for a mario rpg in a long time, perhaps ever. partners in time did 260k, and bowser's inside story was pretty successful its first month. even paper mario 2 on the gamecube did 180k in its first month in 2004.

Can't say I'm extremely saddened although PiT deserved nothing.

Miyamoto-san perhaps we shoul-

"You put too many words in the game. Why did the characters have to talk? It's fine without those."

But sir I don't think tha-

"Why isn't the battle system faster too? Why not have Mario jump on enemies or use the hammer."

Sir then it's just a regular Mari-

"Well, hop to it!"

watershed

Banned
Well if the sales for Sticker Star disappoint at least some fans can rest easy knowing the next game won't follow the same formula, if there even is a next game.

Top Bottom